001 - An Urgent Summons.   Posted by DM Neogi.Group: 0
DM Neogi
 GM, 30 posts
 Evil space spider
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 05:27
001 - An Urgent Summons
From Galeyn:
quote:
"the stone...can you describe it? Was it natural or had it been worked, and was their any marks on it?"


"On the top - the side facing the sky it is plain stone but the other side is carved and there is the remnants of paint. Truthfully, we didn't look too closely at the design."

"It was the smell first that had me shy away. Later, well, we had other worries."

Clover:

The men are dressed as simple farmer folk and they have the hard dirty calloused hands to show for it.

All:

The three men rise and lead the way out of the barn.

"It isn't too far from here," says the third man speaking for the first time.

And it isn't. Only a mile or so across the fields and through a hedge gate the grup comes to an opening in the ground. The hole isn't straight down, the opening drops to a ledge about one foot down that extends under the soil but farther back there is a sudden drop. From the rock jarred loose by the farmer a rope has been tied that drops down into the dark.

"The boys I can see squeezing through that gap into the hole but how Tilman got through I'll never know."

"The man was - errr, is, a regular eel."

A faint unnatural odour comes from the opening.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:28, Thu 13 Feb 2020.

Tom_Gnome
 player, 11 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 07:16
001 - An Urgent Summons
   "I used to live underground in a cave at one time," Theo informs the rest, "so my eyesight is adapted to such conditions: Let me have a look and see what I can see." The plump gnome almost waddles over to the opening, holding his nose once he gets a whiff of the smell, and peers down into the hole.

OOC: A natural 20 on the Spot roll for a total of 23. DV 120'. DM, can you rename my character to Theo Metuckle?

This message was last edited by the player at 08:11, Thu 13 Feb 2020.

Galeyn Onyxdawn
 player, 20 posts
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 11:24
001 - An Urgent Summons
the druid walks a few steps behind the others, thinking to herself.  before looking at the hole, she examines the stone and what was underneath it.
Beagan WobbleCog
 player, 63 posts
 Forest gnome
 Multitalented
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 13:46
001 - An Urgent Summons
Beagan at first tilts his sensitive nose away from the odor and then tries to place it.

“Boys must have dared each other or something that is not the smell of fresh baked pies.”
Orlen
 player, 26 posts
 Rock Gnome Rogue-Ranger
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 15:03
001 - An Urgent Summons
Looking at the place Orlen cautions his friends "Let's not be hasty, let me see if anything untoward here at the entrance."

He'll then search the entrance for traps

10:02, Today: Orlen rolled 27 using 1d20+7 ((20))
Clover
 player, 53 posts
 knowledge is power
 power should be guarded
Thu 13 Feb 2020
at 23:59
001 - An Urgent Summons
Clover is one of the last to leave the table where they were meeting. as he does he stands touching the book he was writing in and says [Language unknown:  latomeortine] and the book vanishes back to whence it came.

following the three men to the hole in the ground he walks over to the stone, looking it over
 noticing the obscure art on it.

May I have this.

pulling out a glass vial, he collects a sample of the soil from around the hole.

after putting the vial away, he approaches the edge of the hole and slowly inhales the scent coming from the hole.
16:54, Today: Clover rolled 16 using 1d20+8.  K nature.
as he inhales he tries to determine if the cause of the smell. He is smelling for hints of  rotting matter, either flesh or plant matter; or possibly sewage, there is also the change that is is the pheromones of certain creatures.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:11, Fri 14 Feb 2020.

DM Neogi
 GM, 31 posts
 Evil space spider
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 05:27
001 - An Urgent Summons
Galeyn and Clover:

quote:
she examines the stone and what was underneath it.


The stone is carved with a portion of a larger design. From what she sees there are a few people bowed down towards someone large who is only partially in the picture before the break in the stone. The style of the artwork is unknown; unique in its way and has a vague resemblance to other art styles in Damara. The rock its self was cut to fit tight against the rest of the still buried stonework only the outer side left looking like naturally weathered stone.

Orlen:

quote:
search the entrance for traps


No traps are found. The opening does not appear to be a portal or archway but a break into the roof of the buried structure.

Beagan and Clover:

quote:
tilts his sensitive nose away from the odor and then tries to place it

quote:
he approaches the edge of the hole and slowly inhales the scent coming from the hole


The smell is musty, with hints of ancient decay and evil.

Theo:

quote:
waddles over to the opening, holding his nose once he gets a whiff of the smell, and peers down into the hole


It's a tight fit for the stout gnome, but he eventually writhes deep enough into the gap to look into space beyond. The rope drops straight down into the darkness nearly 50', below he can barely make out bits of rubble and a body directly below the hole. The room is a large gallery about 40' wide north/south and stretching into the darkness east/west. The walls are covered in relief images of various humans and demi humans, animals, and various mysterious monsterous creatures.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:49, Fri 14 Feb 2020.

DM Neogi
 GM, 32 posts
 Evil space spider
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 05:37
001 - An Urgent Summons
Added a map of what has been seen so far. Not much to see yet.
Orlen
 player, 27 posts
 Rock Gnome Rogue-Ranger
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 13:26
001 - An Urgent Summons
"Well this is interesting" Orlen mutters. "It appears that this is the break in the roof of a buried structure. Are there any legends about buried structures in this area?" he asks
Beagan WobbleCog
 player, 64 posts
 Forest gnome
 Multitalented
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 14:03
001 - An Urgent Summons
“Are we sure the kids went down this and did so voluntarily?”

His face shows concern as he imagines the tentacles of some beast or an enchanting lure that forced them down
Tydor Tenderwhyne
 player, 14 posts
 Strongheart Halfling
 Conjurer
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 14:16
001 - An Urgent Summons
Tydor had his new home somewhat nearby and came over seeing the people in a cave rode over dismounting and feeding her then hollers inside. "Merry meet what are you doing in this stink hole any need for a wizard?," she knew one gnome from a distance so knew they were likely locals. And well its near his home a danger must be dealt with also.
Theo Metuckle
 player, 12 posts
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 15:07
001 - An Urgent Summons
  Theo pulls his head back out of the hole. "There's a body down there," he tells everybody. "Must've fallen through."

OOC: What size body?
Orlen
 player, 28 posts
 Rock Gnome Rogue-Ranger
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 18:55
001 - An Urgent Summons
Orlen turned to look at the halfling new arrival seemingly sizing him up, "A wizard you say? Can you lower us safely into the structure below that we could lookfor the children?" he asks Tydor
Tydor Tenderwhyne
 player, 16 posts
 Strongheart Halfling
 Conjurer
Fri 14 Feb 2020
at 21:30
001 - An Urgent Summons
"Well sure, children at risk in there we have to help them. Lower me down!," he got ready to go down.
Orlen
 player, 29 posts
 Rock Gnome Rogue-Ranger
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 02:28
001 - An Urgent Summons
Orlen responds to Tydor "Not exactly what I had in mind, anything to levitate us or fly us there:"

Orlen looks around at everyone asking to no one in particular "Anyone got a grappling hook or block in tackle?"
DM Neogi
 GM, 33 posts
 Evil space spider
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 02:59
001 - An Urgent Summons
Theo:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the body is human-sized. Maybe the Tilman that was mentioned by the farmers?

Note:

Did I forget to mention that there is a rope already tied to the exposed bolder that drops down into the darkness? Probably put there by the boys or Tilman.

{OOC: Welcome back Ty. I hope you are better]
Theo Metuckle
 player, 14 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 10:22
001 - An Urgent Summons
   Theo informs the rest on the size of the body. "I'll go down and take a closer look," he adds. He mutters a few words and makes a couple of simple guestures, before squeezing back through the hole once more. But rather than using the rope, once through he places his hands and the feet on the ceiling, crawling away from the entrance a few steps and then letting go and hanging upside-down by his feet sticking to the rock above.
   He pauses for a moment, to assess his surroundings, and then moves over to wall (assuming nothing untoward is moticed). There's a moment of hand use and shifting position as he reorientates himself to walk down the wall to the floor which he does.
   He pauses again before reaching the bottom, looking and listening, but when he continues, he makes his way over to the body to examine it.

OOC: Use Spiderwalk invocation (the poor-man's Fly).
Galeyn Onyxdawn
 player, 21 posts
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 13:04
001 - An Urgent Summons
Galeyn muses over the engravings of the rock, clearly part of some elaborate ceiling. She walks over to the others, clearly smelling the putrid smell of death, decay and evil. The gnome allowed a small shudder to go down her spine as she stood there, watching Theo decend.

she looks at the others with a detached look, neither happy or sad....just a neutral look. "If he says it's clear, i will go next....i can use nature's will to light the area."

Her voice was still soft, but a little more sure and focused
Clover
 player, 54 posts
 knowledge is power
 power should be guarded
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 14:33
001 - An Urgent Summons
Clover looks at the hole and the rope. Pauses for a moment ant states with a command voice...
Clover rolled 30 True speak
...[Language unknown:  contha'ingrat ortlesatiredrea] granting himself a short lived bonus to his climb check...he grabs the rope almost as if he knows what he is doing, stepping to the hole he speaks in a command voice...
Clover rolled 31 True speak
...[Language unknown:  achedica eauastthuent] as he finishes speaking he gains a "freedom of movement" that lasts for a single round and slips through the hole as if the hole was quite wider.

Clover rolled 16 Climb.

Once through the tight spot clover decends the rope landing on the ground, it is clear he is no expert with ropes and climbing but making a minimum of a fool of himself as well.
Beagan WobbleCog
 player, 65 posts
 Forest gnome
 Multitalented
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 14:58
001 - An Urgent Summons
"CoCo you have to stay with the nice humans."

Beagan likewise begins the journey down, first lowering his pack and then lowering himself as he didn't think it wise to try and climb while loaded down,

Once at the bottom
"I have a sunrod and labtern, depending on what we need."
Orlen
 player, 31 posts
 Rock Gnome Rogue-Ranger
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 15:03
001 - An Urgent Summons
Orlen waits for Clover to get down he clambers down himself muttering to himself "Brave souls but they are to squishy to go alone."

09:57, Today: Orlen rolled 26 using 1d20+9 ((17)).

Once down he'll take stock of the area as he readies his short sword and shield.

10:01, Today: Orlen rolled 10 using 1d20+1.  Spot.

10:01, Today: Orlen rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  Listen.

DM Neogi
 GM, 37 posts
 Evil space spider
Sat 15 Feb 2020
at 23:06
001 - An Urgent Summons
So we have Orlen, Beagan, Clover, and Theo down in the room, Galeyn and Ty still on the surface. Best to pause here until we get the magic items sorted out. You all may need them a few posts from now!
DM Neogi
 GM, 43 posts
 Evil space spider
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 01:24
001 - An Urgent Summons
Okay, let's resume. Anyone who hasn't chosen their magic items can be considered to have left them at home. With the rush to respond to the urgent summons they forgot to pick up the devices.

Orlen, Beagan, Clover, and Theo down in the fancy painted chamber standing around a dead human body, Galeyn, Sir Jovius, and Ty on the surface with the humans.
Orlen
 player, 37 posts
 Rock Gnome Rogue-Ranger
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 01:37
001 - An Urgent Summons
Orlen looked about noting that the roof or something seemed to have fallen in. He hoped this would provide enough dust to see which way the boys went. He immediately begins to search for tracks in any dust or dirt covering the floor the moment he hops off the rope.

"Easy fellows, let me see if I can pick up the trail." He cautions the others. He though knew it would not be easy, he was used to tracking giants and large parties which were relatively easy to track.


20:34, Today: Orlen rolled 17 using 1d20 ((17)).
Nuric
 player, 1 post
 Halfling Swashbuckler
 AC 20 HP 33/33
Thu 20 Feb 2020
at 05:57
001 - An Urgent Summons
A well dressed Halfling with a fancy wide brimmed hat, complete with an ostrich feather, walked over to join the group.   He wore a brand new cloak over his shining mithril chain mail, and strode purposefully towards the hole.

"Hello, my good friends!  I'm sorry for my tardiness, but I couldn't find my hat.  I heard someone say something about missing children.  What can I do to help?
My name is Sir Jovius, late of the Courts of Cormyr, and My sword and strong right arm are at your disposal."




This message was last edited by the player at 05:58, Thu 20 Feb 2020.