Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 9 @ 878.   Posted by A.S.A.K..Group: 0
Gov. Hawkryn Bozerlin
 NPC, 8 posts
Tue 22 Feb 2022
at 12:18
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Tauroak:
"Which parts of this map have they already penetrated? Or gotten close to?"


"The last scouting party didn't make it much past the entrance. The arrival/ market area is severely compromised. A lone stealthy scout proceeded inward and noted most of what he saw was affected by tunneling, He only made it in as far as the dining hall. This room seems spared so far. One can only assume most of the Halverstop is riddled with tunnels. No collapse was noted."

This message was lightly edited by the player at 12:18, Tue 22 Feb.

Tauroak
 player, 70 posts
 AC 20 HP 59/59
Tue 22 Feb 2022
at 18:51
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
"Then we expect the worse from the moment we arrive. How tall are the ceilings throughout? Facing them underground means it is likely to nullify our plans for using flight to avoid their reach."
Gov. Hawkryn Bozerlin
 NPC, 9 posts
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 02:44
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
"The warehouse, dining area and meeting rooms are 4 spans. The hallways and all the other rooms are 2 spans."
Tauroak
 player, 71 posts
 AC 20 HP 59/59
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 02:45
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
"Alright, that's a definite 'no' on making use of flying, then. Use it if you have it, but no sense in crafting more. Not for this fight, anyway."
Booth Braedon
 player, 1156 posts
 Human Sailor
 AC19 HP (+0) 67/67 PP16
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 11:55
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
"Can one of your scouts guide us back there?  We'll take it from there.  Let's go worm hunting."  The upcoming tussle reminded him of some underground arena sailors would fight in.  No one was supposed to know about it, but everyone knew a scrum was coming.

Ready to rumble
Zoccola
 player, 1396 posts
 Goblin | HP 42/42
 AC 15/20 | INIT +8
Wed 23 Feb 2022
at 22:47
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
It was little surprise to her that Booth wanted to just charge in immediately, but Zoccola was far more content to pour over the offered floor plans to try and figure out their best approach.  Mention of getting the Worms to take each other out got a moment of consideration in her expression, but she eventually shook her head.  "Purple Worms aren't generally aggressive toward one another to the point they'd kill each other.  They're too stupid to fight to the death.  It's certainly possible the loser would run away though, which may solve the problem... or just kick the can down the road for later."  the Goblin observed while, inwardly, making a mental note to herself to figure out a spell to control the mind of sufficiently low-intelligence monsters.  Normally she was loathe to use mind-affecting magics but it was easier to swallow when the target wasn't hardly even sentient.

"If I had to take a guess, I'd say the Purple Worms would probably have taken up in the side rooms over the larger spaces.  They'd want enough space to move around but always have a surface they can burrow into nearby as well.  Big, open spaces make animals nervous, especially if they're brooding." she gestured along the map around the edges at the meeting halls and neighboring great-and-dining rooms.  "Since they can pop out at us pretty much anywhere though, we should do what we can to lure them to an ideal spot rather than trying to chase them down ourselves.

Jurassic and I can conjure up some distractions that'd get their attention pretty easily.  If I get a good line of sight on the stronger of the two, I've got a spell that could keep it out of our way long enough for us to have a better chance handling the weaker one.  But I don't like the prospect of just hitting them with whatever we have ourselves as soon as they breach."
  she looked to the Governor hopefully.  "Are there any resources The Root could afford to help deal with them?  Tools, weapons, explosives, anything?"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:48, Wed 23 Feb.

Browden Jurassic Wungauva
 player, 173 posts
 AC20 HP 72 SpSv 15 SpA +6
 PP21 PInt13 PIns16
Thu 24 Feb 2022
at 01:15
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Jurassic spoke, "If the tunnel collapsed, how difficult would the excavation be?"
Gov. Hawkryn Bozerlin
 NPC, 10 posts
Thu 24 Feb 2022
at 12:31
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
"You have been to our commercial district and acquired some marvelous items from what I gather. No more than that do we possess to help you, otherwise we would undertake this task ourselves. As to dealing with a collapse. It may be inevitable but if it can be avoided that would be best. We have excavation crews but most are working on projects elsewhere and it would mean a valuable redistribution of labor that I would prefer to avoid."
A.S.A.K.
 GM, 1705 posts
 Bossman
 Likes Pepperoni
Mon 28 Feb 2022
at 18:40
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
"Once you are ready to depart I will assign a squad to guide you down to the location. If you have any further questions I will gladly answer them."
Booth Braedon
 player, 1160 posts
 Human Sailor
 AC19 HP (+0) 67/67 PP16
Mon 28 Feb 2022
at 18:51
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Booth nodded in thanks.  He had no further questions.  He looked to the others to see if they had any last thoughts before departing.
Tauroak
 player, 74 posts
 AC 20 HP 59/59
Tue 1 Mar 2022
at 03:30
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Tauroak thought for a long moment. "Only ten feet for most of the ceilings. Tunnels a-plenty. Urgency required." He looked around to the others, "I think that about covers questions on my end. We'll need to make some adjustments to the plan to account for those things. Zoccola, you seem to be the more tactically-minded of the bunch, any questions in light of that information?"
Zoccola
 player, 1400 posts
 Goblin | HP 42/42
 AC 15/20 | INIT +8
Tue 1 Mar 2022
at 15:44
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
"It's far from ideal, but we'll just have to deal with it.  The low ceilings and close walls means the Purple Worms can come at us from pretty much any direction, and if one of us gets snatched and dragged under?  That's all there is to it.  Best we keep spread out so only one of us is at risk in any given moment and watch each others' back." the Goblin shook her head in dismay at the thought.  The close quarters meant it'd be more likely for the Purple Worms to come from a single direction at any given time, which left their sides vulnerable but made getting grabbed far more risky.

"I suppose there's not much else we can do though aside from scoping out the area ourselves.  Jurassic, how's your bird feeling about a little scouting duty once we arrive on scene?" she cast a look the Goliath's way.  "It'll take us a few minutes to conjure some phantoms as distractions and we'd be much better served with some recon in the meantime.  If the Purple Worms have been making themselves comfortable in the halls then this map's not going to be very accurate to the current layout."
Browden Jurassic Wungauva
 player, 175 posts
 AC20 HP 72 SpSv 15 SpA +6
 PP21 PInt13 PIns16
Tue 1 Mar 2022
at 17:16
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Jurassic whistled and held out his arm. A large owl appeared on his forearm. He spoke to the bird, "Hello My Good Girl. We need a scout, are you feeling like being a scout?" The owl whooted and bobbed.

He turned to Zoccola, "It seemes she does."
A.S.A.K.
 GM, 1707 posts
 Bossman
 Likes Pepperoni
Wed 2 Mar 2022
at 22:51
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
No time is wasted once arrangements have been made and you find yourselves heading out by mid afternoon that same day. A small contingent of soldiers has been assigned to you to lead you to the site of the 'infestation'. There are five of them, stalwart looking Dwarves and veterans all of them. They pack light and inform you that provision won't be needed as there are places along the way to eat and rest. this isn't a foray into the wilds but into the heart of The Collect of Dugderonn. The alliance of dwarven clans living under the lost valley.

They lead you through The Root to a beautiful building located roughly in the center of the city outpost. It's a tall building and when the doors swing open you see it's a single story building with one large open room. A group of soldiers stand guard near the doorway and on the center of the large room a ramp descends below ground. Gov. Hawkryn is waiting for you there and he nods as you walk in.

"Here you are, the Underway. The great passage between clans. You will travel the rest of today, all of tomorrow and reach the Halverstop before noon your third day. Provisions and accommodation will be provided for you of course. I wish you success."


I'm assuming you want to jump right to the site but I will give it a day if anyone want to role play a bit while you walk. If not we will fade to black and just arrive.
Booth Braedon
 player, 1163 posts
 Human Sailor
 AC19 HP (+0) 67/67 PP16
Wed 2 Mar 2022
at 23:55
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Booth let Tauroak handle the appropriate dwarven traditions for such a time.  He nodded and thanked the Governor in dwarven.  The sailor, normally out of his element, was ready to head underground.
A.S.A.K.
 GM, 1709 posts
 Bossman
 Likes Pepperoni
Thu 3 Mar 2022
at 13:36
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
You travel through the underground passage and marvel at its construction. It's unlike any other place you may have found yourself. The floor is dry and the walls radiate a gentle heat making the air pleasant. The faint smell of earth wafts through your nostrils once in a while but even this is slight. The wall are lit by glowing sigils incorporated into dwarven art.

How far down you are is difficult to tell but for a good portion of the first day you feel as if you are moving gently downhill. You arrive at your first rest stop after a solid day of travel. It's an alcove carven into the side of the hall large enough for about 20 people. Permanent cots are set up along one wall that are comfortable but provide no privacy as they are one aside the other. A small alcove to the side contains seas and a staffed kitchen that prepares you travelers food. The night passes uneventfully.

This routine continues for the next day and 1/2 until you reach a spot where your guides slow and give you a nod. "We are close now, tred lightly as to not awaken the beasts," the captain says to you.

He leads you on for about a half hour more when you arrive at a large opening in the hallway with a ramp descending down. "This leads to the Halverstop," he indicates. "This is the how far we take you."

You cautiously proceed down the ramp and after about 10 minutes you arrive at the opening to the area. The sanitary smells of the hallway are replaced with the smells of a compost heap, earthy and rotten.





You are all located about 4-63. The green dots represent rubble piles. The black dots represent worm tunnels.

NOTE!!!! each square is 10' so your location will need to give grid refence as well as if you are top left (TL), top right (TR) bottom left (bl) or bottom right (BR)

This is what you can see so far, the entire map in in the map thread.

Also This is a huge map so the grid refence numbers will move with you. As a result your location refence will change each round as I reorient the numbers.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:15, Thu 03 Mar.

Browden Jurassic Wungauva
 player, 177 posts
 AC20 HP 72 SpSv 15 SpA +6
 PP21 PInt13 PIns16
Thu 3 Mar 2022
at 14:53
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Jurassic saluted their dwarven guides. "May we each know a knew day's dawn." Before entering, Jurassic called My Good Girl and sent her to scout ahead. He also cast Long Strider on himself. The last thing he did before entering he used a ritual to create an Unseen Servant and handed it a bag of sand and sent it in first. So long as no traps were set off, and treading lightly, Jurassic moved in and held a defensive position.

moving to 04/63 south-east corner

Here he began the ritual for Phantom Steed.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:10, Sat 05 Mar.

Booth Braedon
 player, 1164 posts
 Human Sailor
 AC19 HP (+0) 67/67 PP16
Fri 4 Mar 2022
at 13:11
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Booth woke that first morning underground with a start.  “Ahhhh!!  He touched his face and felt the full grown beard that had appeared overnight.  He chuckled and looked for something shiny to see a reflection of himself.  He walked around most of the morning stroking the beard until it became itchy.  During the afternoon travel, he used his dagger to trim most of the bulk off.  A clean shave would have to wait until they stopped for the night.  He went to sleep caressing smooth cheeks again.

The next morning, the full beard was back.  Booth woke laughing.  He slapped the Dwarven belt.  “Ok old man.  We’ll go with it.”  He proudly wore the beard that whole day.  It matched his hair and came to hang down covering his neck.

Finally they made the target zone.  Booth thanked the dwarves in Dwarven and proceeded into the potential lair.  While Jurassic was casting, Booth did a short perimeter check.

(Semi circular route.  Starting north.  Going out to about 61.  Curve west no further than 7 and come down south to about 65.  Checking to see what he can see out from that path.  If it matters, he will be in the top left square of the 10x10.)
Tauroak
 player, 77 posts
 AC 20 HP 59/59
Sat 5 Mar 2022
at 04:11
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Tauroak went through his usual nightly rituals, somewhat less enthused at the lack of moonlight. It was one reason why he cared so little for spending time with dwarves themselves, how often they sought the safety of the earth. Gliding through the air with the moon's light shining down upon you was one of the more glorious experience that existed in life, and though he felt safe here, he also felt as though he didn't not belong.

After finishing his ritual and preparing a new array of magical tricks for fighting the worms, he set down to begin his new needlework project. When morning came, all could see that Tauroak was now covered in a series of tattoos that covered most of his body from the top of his neck to the backs of his hands and the tops of his feet. The scenes depicted numerous battles between predatory animals and their prey, trespassers of Nature and its defenders, and groves of ironwood trees. Featured in every scene was the moon in various stages of its cycle, and prominently on both his back and chest it was full and in focus.

When they arrived at their destination, Tauroak stood guard over the ritual casters while they did their work, leaving the patrolling to Booth. He had preparations of his own to make, but they could wait until the phantom steeds were ready to run wild.

22:01, Today: Tauroak rolled 24 using 1d20+4.  Perception. – [roll=1646452878.00093.361543]
Elodie van Gryff
 player, 822 posts
 AC 11 | HP 33/33 | PP 13
 CHA 22 | PI 13
Sat 5 Mar 2022
at 17:32
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157


For herself, Elodie wasn't a fan of the beard.

"You look like you've got moss growing from your face! Ugh, and it'll *stink* after some time on the road!"
She shook her head in disgust, but didn't say more about it. Once they got to the location, she stayed close to Jurassic while he worked on his ritual, wanting quick egress if things turned south too quickly.
Zoccola
 player, 1404 posts
 Goblin | HP 42/42
 AC 15/20 | INIT +8
Sat 5 Mar 2022
at 22:09
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
On the trip Zoccola was a fair bit more frugal with her spells than usual.  It wasn't at all odd for the Goblin to only use magic when she deemed it necessary or ideal, in lieu of putting a little physical labor in its place, but even when they settled to rest she didn't conjure their usual home.  The further they went, the more tense she became, as if expecting disaster to burst up from beneath their feet with every step.

Booth coming out one morning with a full beard was a welcome bit of relief though.  Zoccola was left doubled-over with wheezing laughter at first and a tell-tale expression that she knew full well it might happen.  Unlike Elodie, however, she greatly approved of the state of Booth's jawline.  "You're finally starting to look like a respectable man, Longshanks."  No surprise there since Zoccola had never been shy about how she fancied folk like Dwarves and Satyrs.  Goblins didn't really have much in the way of body hair and were completely bald more often than not, so it might've just been the contrast that appealed to her.




Soon enough, the time had finally arrived.  Zoccola had returned to her grim and tense manner when they parted ways with their escorts.  She offered The Hound a fond bit of attention as she ruffled his head with her hands, then nodded after the Dwarves on their way out.  "This is as far as you go, okay?  You know what to do if everything goes to shit." she insisted gently.  The Hound, despite his whines and nuzzles of protest, remained obedient all the same as he trotted off a ways back up the tunnel toward safer grounds.

"Alright... let's be methodical about this.  Once we start moving, everyone keep at least ten feet apart from one another and stay within eyesight.  No running off alone.  Step lightly, and use whispers or hand motions only to communicate." the Goblin rolled her shoulders in preparation for what was to come.  While Jurassic set about his various rituals, she performed her own to conjure up several shimmering, semi-solid phantoms drawn from the long-cast shadows on the floor.  Rather disconcerting to see as well; despite how they looked very similar to horses, they didn't move at all the way real beasts would.  No idle shuffles, no huff of breath, just ominous statues when still and too precise when in motion.

If Jurassic is ritual casting both Unseen Servant and Phantom Steed, that'll give Zoccola time to ritual cast Phantom Steed twice.  So we've got three Steeds ready to go.
A.S.A.K.
 GM, 1716 posts
 Bossman
 Likes Pepperoni
Tue 8 Mar 2022
at 12:58
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
OK here's the new map. Each square is 5 feet. Please let me know where you are at this point.


Browden Jurassic Wungauva
 player, 180 posts
 AC20 HP 72 SpSv 15 SpA +6
 PP21 PInt13 PIns16
Tue 8 Mar 2022
at 13:18
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Qq 22
Booth Braedon
 player, 1166 posts
 Human Sailor
 AC19 HP (+0) 67/67 PP16
Tue 8 Mar 2022
at 18:40
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Booth will be at Nn, 30
Tauroak
 player, 80 posts
 AC 20 HP 59/59
Tue 8 Mar 2022
at 19:11
Re: Quest for the Tower #4 LVL 8 @ 157
Qq-26