Chapter 2: Coal.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: archive 0
Clive
 player, 33 posts
 Warforged Cleric
 AC 20, HP: 11, PP: 13
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 14:47
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Clive turns to reassure Coal that everything is well taken care of when all he can see is the tail end of the warforged informant vanishing down a hallway with the hit squad on her tail. "Dammit, why did you have to run?!" He exclaims before making his way down the same corridor, less concerned with the two smaller kobolds left.''

Move and Dash after Coal - 60 ft.
Jessa
 player, 25 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC: 17, HP: 11, PP: 14
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 21:11
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"Oh, no you don't!" Jessa exclaimed as she saw the attackers run after Coal.  That warforged was their top priority!  Taking a running start, her booted feet echoed on the floorboards until she jumped over the bar, planting her gauntleted left fist against the bar surface and swung her legs sideways it.  Making a trust with her rapier at one of the pursuing kobolds mid-catapult, the blade pierced the air wide of the creature's shoulder.  Landing deftly on the floor, she knew she had the attention of at least one of the pursuing creatures.

"Keep going, Clive!" the young woman called after the warforged.  "We'll catch up!"

After all, if they didn't slow down the other pursuers, Clive would be outnumbered even if he did reach Coal.  Hopefully, she could at least thin down their numbers a little bit.


Move 30 ft with the kobolds.

15:58, Today: Jessa rolled 6 using 1d20+5.  Attack.

Since she's engaged with one of the kobolds, if it tries to leave, she'll take the Attack of Opportunity that presents itself.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:11, Fri 17 Apr.

Fellise
 player, 33 posts
 Half-elf Rogue
 AC: 13, HP: 8, PP: 14
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 22:20
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"Hel~lo! Coming through!" Fellise bounds and slides through the chaos in the Carnival, flashing her big smile at the assembled warforged settling in through the establishment.

She takes in the surroundings with a glance, and sprints toward Jessa and her fight with the kobalds. She slides behind the kobold who the other woman had just missed, and brings down the hilt of her rapier with a loud crack on the little creature's skull, dropping it to the ground.

She gives that same big smile to the last of the kobolds. "Scurry home, little one; you'll live longer."

Move 30', attack the kobold Jessa had engaged.

18:16, Today: Fellise rolled 10 using 1d8+2+1d6 with rolls of 2,6.  Damage (Sneak Attack).
18:13, Today: Fellise rolled 14 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 10.  Attack.

I'll knock them out, and if the other kobold uses its turn to flee, I'll pass on using my AoO to take the shot at it.

Storyteller
 GM, 55 posts
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 01:04
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Clive is only a few paces behind Hound, but it becomes quite clear the shifter will easily outpace the warforged in a footrace. Still, the shifter likes overwhelming odds and kicks over a few garbage cans to further slow Clive down.

Coal dashes away as quickly as she can, hoping to gain any advantage to distance herself from the hunter.

Meawnhile, a little bit of a scrimmage has broke out in the hallway leading from Cog Carnival into the alley. Fellise knocks out one of the kobolds with a solid smack. This gives the other enough impetus to rethink pursuit. It breaks off, disengages, and runs back the way it came--toward the front door.

OOC: Coal, Hound, and Clive have fled the Carnival and are racing through adjoining alleyways.

Jessa, Fellise, and one unconscious kobold are in the hallway leading to the alley. Ozkur and two slain kobolds are in the Carnival common room.

Clive: Please make an Athletics or Acrobatics check (DC 10) to avoid the tumbling garbage cans.

Hound, Shifter Thug
AC 14
HP: 19 (Chasing Coal through nearby alleys)

Kobolds, 3
AC 12
HP: 0, 0, 7 (Trying to escape through common room)

Kobold Acolyte
AC 10
HP: 0


PC         AC    HP    Insp  Spell Save  Conditions & Notes</b>
Clive      19   11/11    0      13
Fellise    13    8/8     0
Jessa      17   11/11    0
Ozkur      13     8/8    0      13


PCs are UP!


Fellise
 player, 34 posts
 Half-elf Rogue
 AC: 13, HP: 8, PP: 14
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 06:46
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"Come on!" Fellise takes just a fraction of a second to lift a hand toward the common room at the Cog before she turns and bolts out the back, following the warforged and the shifter.

She bolts out the back, hurrying to try to catch up with the clatter of metal and wood through the back alleys, rapier still at hand.

move & dash, trying to make up for the gap in distance
Jessa
 player, 26 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC: 17, HP: 11, PP: 14
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 07:54
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Jessa simply nodded in response to her friend, though her own eyes were straight ahead of her focused on the task at hand.  The fleeing kobold was simply an afterthought.  The creature was routed.  There was no need to pursue.  She did not fight for needless slaughter, and their task was very clearly laid out ahead of them.

Keeping her rapier low, she followed suit with Fellise, her booted feet pounding against the floorboards as she regulated her breathing in anticipation of further combat ahead after their pursuit had been completed.


Following suit with Fellise in trying to make up ground.
Clive
 player, 34 posts
 Warforged Cleric
 AC 20, HP: 11, PP: 13
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 15:42
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Clive is stomping down the corridor, hot on the heels of his foe and his charge, if only she would see it like that. The fact that this thug could outrun him becomes apparent, but he is unsure if Coal is able to outrun him.

He can see the barrels being kicked over, and through a mixture of jumping and brute force, he tries to keep his speed up.


Move and dash to follow
17:38, Today: Clive rolled 17 using 1d20+2.  Athletics vs barrels.

Storyteller
 GM, 56 posts
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 21:40
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Coal exits the smaller alley, joins a larger street, and is soon swallowed up by a mass of Cyran refugees marching through the district. The large mob is engaged in a bit of civil disobedience and is chanting nationalist hymns that echo through loudly in the night air.

The street has become a river of movement, torches, and chants. Coal, and then Hound, slip into the chaos and become one with the crowd...

OOC: Clive: make a Perception check (DC 15) to find Coal and/or Hound in the crowd.

Jessa and Felisse: Need an Investigation check (DC 10) to determine which way Coal, Hound, and Clive fled.

Hound, Shifter Thug
AC 14
HP: 19

Kobolds, 3
AC 12
HP: 0, 0, 7

Kobold Acolyte
AC 10
HP: 0


PC         AC    HP    Insp  Spell Save  Conditions & Notes</b>
Clive      19   11/11    0      13
Fellise    13    8/8     0
Jessa      17   11/11    0
Ozkur      13     8/8    0      13


PCs are UP!


Clive
 player, 35 posts
 Warforged Cleric
 AC 20, HP: 11, PP: 13
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 22:08
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"Oh, whatever is this now?" Clive mumbles as he barely spots his prey slip between moving bodies. He spares a quick glance behind him to see if the other members of the expedition are following, but hoping against hope that he will be able to find Coal before the thug does, he braves the masses in pursuit.

00:08, Today: Clive rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  Perception.
Fellise
 player, 36 posts
 Half-elf Rogue
 AC: 13, HP: 8, PP: 14
Sat 18 Apr 2020
at 23:07
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Fellise rushes out of the alley, and onto the streets and chaos of Cyrians. She takes a few moments to look around the confused mess of streets, and try to work out just where and which way...

"This way!" She takes a turn and starts to weave and dart through the massed crowds, occasionally muttering out a short "sorry" as she jostles her way to try and catch up with the chase in progress.


18:45, Today: Fellise rolled 22 using 1d20+3.  Investigation.
Nice.

Keep trying to catch up--maybe even get a shortcut? Move, dash, oh and pull a dagger in her off hand.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 23:16, Sat 18 Apr.

Jessa
 player, 28 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC: 17, HP: 11, PP: 14
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 02:39
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Bursting out into the street side by side with Fellise, she nodded her agreement to her friend, letting the other woman lead them through the throng of people while she kept her own rapier down in order to not cause unnecessary injury to others.

"This is getting ridiculous," the swordswoman murmured to Fellise.  "Does she not realize that she's liable to get herself killed if we don't help her?"
Storyteller
 GM, 58 posts
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 04:02
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Clive loses Coal in the crowd, but he catches a momentary glimpse of the shifter ahead of him. The shifter is searching the crowd frantically, but he too apparently has lost her.  Clive sees the female shifter forecefully shove a woman out of the way before she starts aggressively clearing the crowd out of her path.

The shifter turns back in a futile effort to locate her quarry, but notices only Clive. The shifter's eyes narrow to angry slits before she utters a curse and bounds off to the north, towards Cogsgate.

Further back, Fellise and Jessa eventually find their way to the protesters and Clive. The trio gather near the corner and share a brief word with one another, before all three notice Coal stepping onto a nearby lift...

OOC: DC 10 Athletics or Acrobatics check to make it through the crowd and onto the lift before the door closes and carries Coal away.
Jessa
 player, 29 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC: 17, HP: 11, PP: 14
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 04:36
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Looking right and left as she and Fellise made their way through the crowd, Jessa spotted Clive as the shifter ran off to the North.  If she was going to leave, she was no longer any of their concern.  While it would have been helpful to gain some information, Coal's safety was their priority.

Suddenly, she noticed the warforged stepping onto a lift nearby.  Springing into action, Jessa slid her rapier home in its sheath at the same time as she reached behind her to tuck her main gauche back into its place at the waistband by the small of her back.  She needed to reach Coal, but there was very little time to do so!

Taking a few steps of quick movement, she jumped up onto the shoulders of one of the protesters before she ran across the shoulders and backs of several more.  Finally, she leaped full into the air and grabbed onto an overhanging rope that had been set up on a pulley to lift some furniture over the street.  Using her momentum, she swung across the rest of the street and landed on the ground in a running start to reach the lift.

Just as the doors were about to close, she stuck a gauntlet-clad hand between the doors and slid inside.

"Mind if I join you?" she asked Coal rhetorically before she lithely maneuvered her body into the lift and leaned against one of posts.


23:28, Today: Jessa rolled 25 using 1d20+5.  Acrobatics.

Nat 20!  I hope you don't mind that I wrote up some swashbuckler-esque kind of thing.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:38, Sun 19 Apr.

Fellise
 player, 38 posts
 Half-elf Rogue
 AC: 13, HP: 8, PP: 14
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 05:30
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Jess goes high, she goes low; Fellise tucks down into a roll between the legs of the crowd, coming to slide past the people in her way, to pop up behind the warforged just as the lift starts to move.

"We're here to keep you safe," she chimes in beside Jessa, as she sheathes her weapons and straightens her cloak as the lift starts to rise. "It seems like you've got the wrong sort of attention, so please stay where we can see you. We're offering protection and a place to stay."

01:22, Today: Fellise rolled 24 using 1d20+4.  Acrobatics.

I swear, we're using up our good rolls on diff 10 checks.

Clive
 player, 36 posts
 Warforged Cleric
 AC 20, HP: 11, PP: 13
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 08:03
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Clive's attempts are less gracious as he mimics the actions of the thug, if in a different direction, by physically moving people out of the way to clear a path to the elevator. As it rises into the sky he makes a last desperate leap before managing to hook his fingers on the edge of the platform and pull himself up to join the others.

"Please," he intones as he looks at Coal. "We are here to help you."

09:58, Today: Clive rolled 21 using 1d20+2.  Athletics.
Coal
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 14:48
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
All three companions manage to get aboard the lift before it begins its ascent. Jessa and Fellise's sudden appearance startles the warforged, as she has never seen either of these individuals before, but Clive's appearance shortly thereafter somewhat calms her nerves.

In any event, the lift rises and presumably leaves the shifter hunter with a cold trail.

quote:
Clive: "Please," he intones as he looks at Coal. "We are here to help you."


"If that's true, escort me to Terminus," she says while looking out at the glittering cityscape. "There is nothing here for me, anymore." The last word trails off into barely a whisper.

"Just sadness and fear..." she says, her back to the adventurers.

Turning, she addresses them with more conviction, "Escort me to Terminus. I am leaving."

The lift eventually stops and provides direct access to a well-trafficked road that leads through the Cogsgate district all the way to the lightning rail station in Terminus. Towering warehouses dwarf the highway on either side, giving the street the appearance of delving into an industrial labyrinth.

While in transit, Coal explains she came to Sharn with her companion, Razor, but finds no reason to stay now that Razor is no more. She doesn't know what she will do next, but knows she must leave the city as it is no longer safe for her. She encourages the adventurers to speak with the House Orien scion, Alden d'Orien, about the illegal relic gathering operation  beneath the city.
Fellise
 player, 39 posts
 Half-elf Rogue
 AC: 13, HP: 8, PP: 14
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 18:49
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"...is this why you asked to meet with Sargent Vilroy?" Fellise looks to the others, and then back toward Coal, biting at her lip for a moment before she starts to speak again.

"You could still see her before you go. If you did--if we can walk you to her, and then back to the station--that could be your best chance of punishing the people who killed Razor.

"But if you won't, please--tell us what you were going to tell her. Why were they hunting you in there? What does this 'Alden' know--and where can we find him?"

Coal
 NPC, 3 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 00:21
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Fellise:
"...is this why you asked to meet with Sargent Vilroy?" Fellise looks to the others, and then back toward Coal, biting at her lip for a moment before she starts to speak again.

"You could still see her before you go. If you did--if we can walk you to her, and then back to the station--that could be your best chance of punishing the people who killed Razor.

"But if you won't, please--tell us what you were going to tell her. Why were they hunting you in there? What does this 'Alden' know--and where can we find him?"


"Yes. Unlicensed delve, captive child, and something Razor said," she pauses a moment and then continues, "about the overseers of this operation. She said they were called Daask and were wrapped up in criminal activity in Sharn's lower wards."

To the prospect of going to see Sergeant Vilroy, she shakes her head once before stating with resolve, "No. I have a ticket out of here and mean to be on that lightning rail." The party just now notices a slip of paper in Coal's hand, which she clutches protectively.

While walking through Cogsgate toward Terminus, Coal explains she had planned to tell Sergeant Vilroy the following points:

  • Unlicensed delve beneath Sharn, financed by House Orien, accomplished through warforged labor, and supervised by Daask taskmasters
  • Several warforged laborers were accidentally killed during "cave-ins", one of them being Coal's girlfriend, Razor
  • The presence of a human child, held captive at the excavation site.


"Razor said she thought the kid had something to do with House Orien. He was wearing the livery of their house..."

Coal says she and Razor were hired by Alden d'Orien at Deathsgate Guild. "I thought I would be able to do the work, even without both arms, but it proved otherwise."

As to why Daask might be hunting her, she believes they want to take out anyone with knowledge of what they were looking for in Old Sharn and where they were looking for it.

"Which is why I must leave."

The cityscape has now transformed from a relatively quiet warehouse district into a buzzing hive of activity as Cogsgate morphs into Terminus. In the distance, the party spots the last outbound Orien lightning rail in the terminal. Skycoaches and magic lifts rise up and down the surrounding towers and the calls of street merchants ring out through the night air.

A lift lowers and Coal prepares to depart, she says in a quiet tone, "I guess this is me..."
Clive
 player, 37 posts
 Warforged Cleric
 AC 20, HP: 11, PP: 13
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 18:02
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Clive makes sure to give his fellow Warforged some space and listens attentively. He had heard some of this before the hit-squad had invaded the dive bar, but now he got some more context.

"I'm sorry for what you have gone through, and what you keep going through. I wish there was something I could do." Both the evidence from what Clive assumes must be the war, and the passing of Razor has dimmed the otherwise cheerful cleric some. Partly it has to do with a sense of empathy, but coupled with that is a fearful gnawing fear of what his own actions and contributions in that war had been.

"I guess the least we can do is to allow you to make up your own mind, even though the sergeant was hopeful she would be able to speak with you, so much so that she even offered us a substantial sum to make that happen."

Clive sighs. "It doesn't matter. I'm not into kidnapping." Still, his gaze lifts to the rails and their platforms, there is another concern on his mind. "Are you certain they're not watching the routes out of the city and would attack you again?" There is a sense of trepidation in his voice.
Fellise
 player, 41 posts
 Half-elf Rogue
 AC: 13, HP: 8, PP: 14
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 18:39
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"I doubt they will, if they haven't yet. Bad business to start trouble on the Rails, and from here... you can go anywhere."

Fellise nods to Coal, arms crossed over her chest. Her cheerful mood is subdued after the story, and she chews at the inside of her cheek for a moment, looking to the train and then back to the others.

"We should tell Vilroy. She'll be waiting, and I think she'll want to know about this."
Coal
 NPC, 4 posts
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 02:03
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"Yes. Tell Sergeant Vilroy everything. She will know what to do..."

She begins to shuffle off the lift toward the ticket booths and turns around one last time.

"Hey. I'm sorry for not trusting you back there. Be well..." with that, Coal slips into the mass of outbound travelers, hoping to put the pain of Sharn well behind her.
Kemlan
 player, 5 posts
 AC-14, HP-9/9, PP-13
 S-1,D+2,C+3,I+5,W+1,Ch+0
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 03:17
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
The craziness of the recent past is already fading into anecdotal status in Kemlan's young mind.  Hard to believe that less than a half hour before, he was running wildly after would-be assassins, wondering what in the whole of creation he would actually do if he managed to catch one!

But youth is an effective poultice for shock.  Their escape, and Coal's sad story, had grounded him once more in conventional reality. As the Warforged woman had spoken, he'd withdrawn his showframe from his pack and, using his index finger as a stylus, began to take notes of her story in his own version of shorthand, the better to reproduce the story for Vilroy.

As Coal departed, the young man lifts a hand in farewell, wondering what the construct's future held.  As she blends into the mass, leaving her erstwhile allies behind, the artificer seems to find his voice.

"I had two patch jobs scheduled for today, and preparation of some acne cream for the daughter of a Tradefair carpet vendor.  Paying gigs.  Sure didn't expect to be spending my day this way..."  The youthful tenor trails off.

As if seeming to realize he's spoken aloud, he blushes a bit, repacks the showframe and squares his shoulders.  "Shall we go see the Sergeant?

This message was last edited by the player at 03:30, Tue 21 Apr.

Fellise
 player, 44 posts
 Half-elf Rogue
 AC: 13, HP: 8, PP: 14
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 19:55
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"You don't need to apologize. We're strangers, and you have every reason to be wary."

The khoravar places her hand on Coal's shoulder a moment with another faint smile. "Don't miss your train. And good luck to you."

[Private to Storyteller: Watch her steps, and send them where she needs to be, is the prayer they offer. But a prayer to the Giver of Gifts should never be spoken.]

Fellise turns to the others, and nods to Kemlan. "She'll be waiting for us in Middle Dura. We should start now."
Clive
 player, 39 posts
 Warforged Cleric
 AC 20, HP: 11, PP: 13
Tue 21 Apr 2020
at 22:18
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
"Yeah"

Clive seems entirely lost in thought as he watches Coal disappear among the crowds and head into the next chapter of her experience. How quickly fates could change, from having a friend and hope of a better future with limbs restored and the open road ahead, to suddenly being alone, hunted by powerful enemies and not even allowed a grave to visit and grieve.

He sighs and turns to follow the rest of the team. "We should check up on those leads she gave us as well, but from what she said we might fast be getting into it over our heads."

A lot of conflicting emotions warred within the warforged as he wrestled with his own road ahead. He sorely missed his creator, routines and a well-defined purpose.
Kemlan
 player, 7 posts
 AC-14, HP-9/9, PP-13
 S-1,D+2,C+3,I+5,W+1,Ch+0
Wed 22 Apr 2020
at 01:13
Re: Chapter 2: Coal
Kemlan nods slightly, his expression reminiscent of one who just took a sip of slightly-off goat's milk.  "Already feels like I'm in over my head," the young man murmurs as they walk away.