The Call For Heroes (entire party)   Posted by Gamemaster.Group: 0
Darkell
 player, 7 posts
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 12:54
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"Well," Darkell observed dryly as the dwarf burst into the room, nudging Julius. "They certainly aren't staring at you now."
Tiressa
 player, 11 posts
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 14:47
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
   Initially, Tiressa had thought herself fortunate.  She had suspected she'd been among the last to arrive, which was fine enough, and those who had gathered ahead of her seemed to be mingling among themselves, quite distracted.  Mostly locals from the look of it, if she was in any position to judge - not an experienced adventurer in the lot.  That might make it a little more difficult to coast by on the efforts of the others and force her to take a more active hand in whatever adventure the council decided to foist off on them today.  A pity.

   Still, with the assemblage's preoccupation in play, it had been relatively effortless for her to slip into the chamber herself, lurking near the entrance to avoid drawing attention to herself too easily.  She simply spent some time in idle conversation with the various folks who had set of street-vending stalls and blended into the crowd of on-lookers as well as her striking red hair and tall, slender build enabled her to. It wasn't that she didn't ENJOY attention, mind you, but it was a matter of presentation. Never let others dictate how you are seen. So why drift in awkwardly as just another young, awkward hopeful when she could instead lay low, then dramatically announce her presence with a bold declaration or incisive bit of wit.  THAT was how one made a proper first impression.

   And that might have worked.  If that loudly clanging dwarf hadn't barreled into the room within a minute of her own quiet arrival, practically barreling over her in the process.  The sheer forcefulness of his over-eager entrance had taken her so completely off-guard that it was only by the smallest of miracles she avoided some sort of comedic pratfall, barreling face-first into the surface beneath them.  Instead, Tiressa stumbled forward in a few awkward, jerking steps, and her rapier went flying free of the loose tie at her waist and clattering across the floor.

    "Well," she said, doing her best to resume a relaxed, breezy posture , as if she hadn't just made herself look like a clumsy oaf. "THAT was a bit more awkward than I'd initially hoped for, but I suppose you could say I'm willing to throw my sword behind whatever problems Breachill is facing today."  Daintily, she stepped forward towards where her blade had landed and bent to retrieve it.

OOC: Hope you don't mind me hijacking your entrance as a prop to set up my own, Brand

This message was last edited by the player at 15:05, Tue 03 Mar 2020.

Brand
 player, 22 posts
Tue 3 Mar 2020
at 19:22
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
In reply to Tiressa (msg # 8):

OOC: not at all lass you hijack away.
 :)

Gamemaster
 GM, 39 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 16:47
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
As Brand barged in the door and began walking down the aisle, a small figure looking over some paperwork held in its arms bumped into the sturdy dwarf.  It bounced off Brand and fell on its butt, papers scattering about it. Now that it was looking up it was easy to see that the little person was a goblin.  Unlike most goblins, it was dressed in fine white robes and had a black fez hat, now cock-eyed, on its head.

Blinking the small creature spoke in rather erudite tones, "Pardon me, good dwarf! I was not watching where I was going. Many apologies..."  The little guy got up hurriedly and began brushing off the front of Brand in case he had mussed up the dwarf at all. "It is no excuse but I have been terribly distracted of late. I hope I did not inconvenience you in any way?  You are here for the Call For Heroes?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dear one," Yalandara's father smiled at her mother. "Yala is competent and a grown woman now. She has the right to answer the Call and I'm sure she'll do quite well."  Though his words were encouraging, a hint of worry could be seen in his eyes.

Yala's mother punched her father gentle, "Be quiet you hypocrite. You're just as worried as I am. She might be grown but she's still my baby girl and I am allowed... actually, I am contractually obligated... to worry about her."

Her father shrugged. "I can't really argue with that Yala. Worried or not, we have faith in you."
Brand
 player, 24 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 19:53
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Brand drops his spear and is instantly apologising himself dropping to the ground to help gather the scrolls for the.. GOBLIN! Brand had heard of these creatures before and he had once seen a dead orc while ministering aid to a mighty dwarven warrior in the autumn raids of Delun Year five years past. He gathers up as many of the papers as possible seeing the organisation of this small creature impresses him RA would be please he had always heard goblins were uncivilized and with out order this was a stark contrast to that now shattered unfounded preconceptions of this "scholars" race.

"No no.. my fault, um Ma'am.. Yes I am here for the call. I have come here from the five mountains and with RA's blessing I have survived the dangerous journey."

*Once he hands the Goblins documents carefully back to her, Brand picks up the spear and takes his shield from his back placing it upon is arm to strike what he thinks is a gallant pose.*

"With the blessing of RA, this spear, and my shield, I will take on the task the council sets before me. RA instructs his followers to bring warmth and Order to those that need it. Should I be selected of course. What about you Ma'am are you here for the Call?"

He seems unsure on how to address the goblin so he uses his best manners.
Julius
 player, 7 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 20:18
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Julius turns to watch the dwarf enter, followed by a beautiful woman... but he was more interested the elf's presence. "I didn't know Yalandara was answering the call this year. Did you?" he whispered to Darkell. It was well known he admired the retired adventurer, and their daughter by extension.
Yalandara
 player, 18 posts
Wed 4 Mar 2020
at 22:08
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"Look Mom, Dad, I got Brand with me. He'll see to my..." She cut the statement short as she watched him bowl over a goblin scholar. "...safety." She then frowned, and shook her head. "Do you have a spare healing kit, just in case mom?"
Brand
 player, 25 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 00:12
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
The spear again slips from Brands grasp, and he is thrown once again into an almost comical dance as he tries to catch his weapon before it falls, all while his steel shield weighs down one arm.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:15, Thu 05 Mar 2020.

Darkell
 player, 9 posts
Thu 5 Mar 2020
at 01:49
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"I'm not surprised," the half-elf whispered to Julius. "She's got a bad case of wanderlust. If it weren't for her parents, I bet she would have already answered."
Gamemaster
 GM, 41 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 17:54
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
The backdoor opens and the town council files in to their seats behind the table. With a sharp rap from her gavel onto the table, a stern, dark-haired woman with a deeply furrowed forehead and kind eyes brings the assembled crowd to a hush.

"Welcome, neighbors and friends..." the dark-haired woman begins, her rich voice washing over the room, "...to the Breachill Town Councilís monthly Call for Heroes. I am Council President Greta Gardania, at your service. On behalf of my colleagues beside me, I promise you all that we will hear and consider todayís petition with the utmost discretion and care. There is no existence without community, as our town charter says."

"Today, our agenda includes one petition. Miss Warbal, our very own ambassador to the Bumblebrashers of Hellknight Hill, requests the help of heroes for a matter of utmost importance. Letís hear her concerns in her own words, shall we? Miss Warbal?"

"Esteemed councilors," Warbal says, with a frazzled tone to her voice. "It has been more than a month since Iíve been able to contact the Bumblebrashers. I fear that something terrible has befallen them. Whatís more, I have seen my peopleís distress signal coming from the top of Citadel Altaereinó"

Warbal is interrupted as a young man with ink stained hands bursts into the room, billowing black smoke and flames billowing into the room behind him. "Fire!  There's a fire!  Everyone run!"
Darkell
 player, 10 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 18:37
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"Holy hell!" Darkell leapt to his feet, eyes scanning the building for the nearest exit, or any exit at all that wasn't occupied by fire and smoke. "Um... don't run," he contradicted the young man. "A stampede is more deadly than... ok." He trailed off, sensing that panic had already gripped the crowd, and that they were not listening to the words of a young peasant.

Darkell rolled 18 using 1d20+7.  Initiative.
Darkell rolled 16 using 1d20+7.  Perception (exits).
Darkell rolled 10 using 1d20+4.  Diplomacy? for crowd control

Brand
 player, 27 posts
Mon 9 Mar 2020
at 22:29
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
He hadn't finished his conversation with the goblin when the backdoor opens allowing the council members to enter. Causing him to rush to a vacant seat at the front of the room as the councillors call upon the goblin lady's petition. In his rush he drops his spear "again" this time it rolls under his seat, forcing him to get down on all fours, and scrabble around under the bench to retrieve it. This is made all the more difficult as he still hasn't unstrapped his shield from his arm, where he had placed it to make that stupid pose earlier. As he is scrabbling beneath the bench grabbing his spear, the cries of fire erupt. Causing him to jerk up violently hitting his head covered by his chain coif, on the bench, before he regains his feet weapon in hand remarking with pain and surprise,

"Oooff! What?! Huh! What's going on?!?!"

08:15, Today: Brand rolled 8 using 1d20+7.  initiative.
Yes ladies and gents that's a 1 on my perception/initiative roll

This message was last edited by the player at 00:03, Tue 10 Mar 2020.

Julius
 player, 8 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 01:47
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Julius could barely contain his excitement as the council entered... so much so that he didn't understand the shout at first. It's only when people started standing that he realized what was happening. Well, some of what was happening.

Hearing Darkell's call, he realized he would be most useful helping the people that had fallen down. "Where is it? Where's the fire?" His first priority would have to be whoever is closest to the threat, where ever that may be.

21:38, Today: Julius rolled 7 using 1d20+5 ((2)).
I'm right there with you, Brand.

Gamemaster
 GM, 43 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 11:34
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Town Hall Fire - Round 1

 ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
01FF[ C C C C C ]  
02FF[-----------]  
03   XXX   XXXX    
04 ======  ======  
05 XXXX    BXXXXX  
06 ======  ======  
07 XX JD   XXXXXX  
08 ======  ======  
09  XXXXX   XXXXX  
10 ======  ======  
11 XXXXXX  XXXXXX  
12 ======  ======  
13 XXXXXX  XXXXX   
14 ======  ======  
15      Y  T       

Legend:
[ and - Stage
= Benches
C Councilors
X Citizens
J, D, T, B, Y PC's
F Fire!

There are doors on the walls at H15,I15 and A2 and H1. The doors at H15 and I15 lead out to Monument Circle and those from Breachill know there are several working water pumps there.

Current Initiative: Yalandara, Darkell, Tiressa, Brand, Julius

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:46, Wed 11 Mar 2020.

Darkell
 player, 11 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 12:59
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Darkell, reacting quickly, saw that he might reach the rear doors of the hall before the throng of attendees. Not wanting to set a bad example, he did not run, but rather walked briskly and threw open the double doors the lead out to the Monument Circle and its water pumps.

"Don't push. There's room for everyone. Grab anything that can be used as a bucket. If you live nearby, go and return with your cooking pots. The rest of you, let's form a line wrapping around the building from Monument Circle to the fire. We'll pass buckets back and forth. Julius!" he called back into the building. "Yalandara! Anyone else here for the Call have a helmet with them?"

Move to H15 (2 actions)
Organize a bucket brigade: Darkell rolled 17 using 1d20+4.  Request (Diplomacy).

This message was last edited by the player at 21:09, Thu 12 Mar 2020.

Yalandara
 player, 19 posts
Tue 10 Mar 2020
at 17:06
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"..what the?" Yalandara quickly turned towards the commotion to see whats going on.


13:06, Today: Yalandara rolled 19 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 15.  Initiative.
Tiressa
 player, 14 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 10:40
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Well, that was interesting.  It appeared that they were on their way to Citadel Altaerein for this adventure, and that was precisely where Tiressa had wanted to go in the place.  Coming here was a good decis--

A fire? A FIRE? Right in the middle of the quest presentation!  But she was just about to be sent somewhere that perfectly aligned with her goals!  Hmmph.  How...how impossibly RUDE of whoever thought to disrupt the proceedings.

Tiressa drew her blade and eyed the door.  She was close to the exit, and if she circled around the exterior of the building fast enough, she MIGHT be able to spot whoever set the blaze.

Then again, if it wasn't someone acting alone, she could end up charging into an ambush she wouldn't walk away from.

Decisions, decisions.


05:40, Today: Tiressa rolled 14 using 1d20+5.  I can has Initiative?
Julius
 player, 9 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 19:56
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"Come on, get moving people!" Julius reaches for the people seated on the first bench, encouraging them to get out, while watching the raging fire.

OOC:
Action 1: Aid (I guess?) to get the people moving. Not sure what I should roll...
Action 2: Same
Action 3: If people are still seated, same thing. Otherwise, Seek in the fire's area, to try to see whats causing it. 15:56, Today: Julius rolled 17 using 1d20+5.  Seek action.

Yalandara
 player, 21 posts
Wed 11 Mar 2020
at 22:49
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"I do not wear a helmet Darkell, I'm a healer and alchemist, not a warrior. We need to get these people out of here, now!" Then she looked to the doors behind her and opened them, if they weren't. "EVERYONE, ORDERLY, and CAREFULLY, EXIT FROM FRONT TO BACK!" She yelled at the top of her lungs.

OOC:
Action 1: Open doors behind her, since she's already there.
Action 2: Aid (Encourage) people to orderly leave from front to back.
Action 3: same as 2.

Brand
 player, 31 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 19:02
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Moving to the front of the council chambers (H3) Brand begins to usher the council members and the first rows out of the building,

"YER HONORS! Yea need ta be getting' out, NOW! Help organise a bucket parade! Thar people will listen to ya. If yea do nea control the fire the building will be lost!" 

Brand shouts at the council leaders before turning to those in the front rows and bellowing,

"THIS WAY! Orderly now away from der fire. Out dem doors an get some water as ye can. RA don't protect those that do nae help dem selves. PRAISE BE HIS NAME! Come on move now. Hey hey hey YOU! I said orderly. ORDERLY I SAID! Out yea go with RA's blessin'.

And when the civilians don't move fast enough for his liking he shouts so hard his face turns red,

"EVERYBODY MOVE!!!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Redc8bv8NOk

Action 1: Move H3
Action 2: Direct Council leaders
Action 3: Direct front rows

This message was last edited by the player at 19:03, Thu 12 Mar 2020.

Tiressa
 player, 16 posts
Thu 12 Mar 2020
at 21:57
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Already near the exit when Yalandara shoves the doors wide open, for a moment Tiressa considers simply absconding and letting this whole thing be someone else's problem.

It is with a heavy sigh of consideration that she concedes the point - helping out here is the only way to advance her goal.

With that in mind, she dashes towards the chaos of the spectator stands and begins offering her assistance here and there, working to physically guide and direct people towards the exit.  "Well, now, ladies and gents, you truly are fortunate today.  Just this once I am availing you of my services completely free of charge.  Grab a hand and I'll make sure you get free and clear the exit as quick as you like, and then I'll be back for more."


OOC:
Not sure what actions are called for here, so go ahead and roll anything you think needs to be rolled for me, GM.  I'm basically just trying to help guide people through the chaos of the panicking crowd without letting them trip, stumble, get misdirected, or snag themselves on the furniture.

Gamemaster
 GM, 53 posts
Mon 23 Mar 2020
at 11:49
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Town Hall Fire - Round 2

The room initially erupted in panic as people pushed and shoved to get away from the burning door.  Benches were knocked over and people fell to the ground. However the shouted instructions and quick actions of the hero applicants in the room blunted the panic and soon people were moving quickly but in a mostly orderly fashion towards the rear doors.

Greta gave Brand a nod of thanks for taking charge and ushered the rest of the councilors out the back door. Several of the townsfolk jumped on the stage and made to follow them out that way.

Darkell instructed the recently escaped townsfolk to begin making a bucket brigade to put out the fire. They seemed to comply and started running towards the pumps nearby and collecting buckets.

Through the door where the fire started a small reddish orange creature ran into the room cackling in a high, shrill voice.  It had small horns and big ears and flames licked at its skin.  It looked at the fire and the retreating townsfolk with glee and began lighting more of the room on fire with gusto.

 ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
01FF[F  X  XXX   ]  
02FF[-----------]  
03FM     B         
04 ======  ======  
05                 
06 ======  ======  
07    J            
08 ======  ======  
09                 
10 ======XX======  
11    XXXXXXXXXX X 
12 ======XX======  
13 XXXXXXXXXXXXX   
14 ======  ======  
15XXXXXXYDTXXXXXX  

Legend:
[ and - Stage
= Benches
C Councilors
X Citizens
J, D, T, B, Y PC's
F Fire!
M Little Fire Demon


There are doors on the walls at H15,I15 and A2 and H1. The doors at H15 and I15 lead out to Monument Circle and those from Breachill know there are several working water pumps there.

Current Initiative: Yalandara, Darkell, LFD, Tiressa, Brand, Julius.

People have panicked but the group's efforts in that area seem to have blunted the worst of the panic reaction and several bystanders have been directed out the double doors at H15 and I15.  Darkell has directed some of the escapees to start a bucket brigade and they seem to be listening.  You figure it will be 2 rounds to form the brigade and the first bucket of water will arrive at H15 on round 4.  All the Counselors have exited the back of the stage area along with a couple of towns people.

Most of the benches have been knocked over in the initial panic and any movement within the bench area is through rough terrain and halved.

The fire is spreading and the little fire demon seems to be causing it and helping it to spread.

Yalandara and Darkell can post their specific actions. Roll what seems appropriate for any chosen actions so we aren't slowed down. I'll then do the LFD's actions and we'll continue on from there.

Yalandara
 player, 24 posts
Tue 24 Mar 2020
at 23:17
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
"Everyone, out! Orderly, quickly!" Yalandara said to the people, motioning them to exit orderly as she drew her crossbow. She was stuck, not able to move from where she was just yet.

OOC:
Actions 1 and 2: Get the civilians out.
Action 3: Draw and load crossbow to possibly attack the creature by the fire.

Brand
 player, 33 posts
Wed 25 Mar 2020
at 02:58
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
BY RAís BRILLIANCE! WHAT THE CROTCH FUNGUS IS THAT! QUICKLY ALL OF YOU GET OUT I WILL TRY TO HOLD THIS CREATURE OFF!!! Great RA give me the fortitude and strength to stand against this creature from the under realm...

Free action speak
Darkell
 player, 14 posts
Wed 25 Mar 2020
at 11:18
The Call For Heroes (entire party)
Darkell grimaced at the dwarf's coarse language and instinctively looked to see whether any of his sisters was around to hear it. What he saw instead was a nasty little devil starting fires, and a crush of people closing in on him. "Orderly!" he echoed Yalandara's call. "Don't shove!"

His sharp eyes, gifted with the keen sight of an elven father, sought a route around the pressing throng. The rogue leapt atop the overturned benches and picked his way across them until he had the clearest shot it seemed he would get. Then he fired an arrow at the troublesome creature. It seemed the call to heroism had come early!

Stride x2: Believe this will get me to D14?
Strike: I subtracted 2 for firing at a distance > 60', but if there's an additional penalty for firing past a person, I did not apply that.

Darkell rolled 17 using 1d20+5.  Attack.
Darkell rolled 8 using 1d6+4.  Damage.