Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity.   Posted by Evil GM.Group: 0
Evil GM
 GM, 22 posts
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 19:17
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
OOC: Moving on, since Orlin hasn’t been able to respond...

The elf responds to Mikhail’s scrutiny with a confused expression, but it doesn’t last long as Brother Loran pulls her behind him and sets up in a defensive stance. Richard climbs up the edge of the rock formation to get a better look at what’s coming, and Orlin positions himself near the good brother, his dagger in one hand and a throwing knife in the other.

The heavy footfalls ahead are revealed to be three men-at-arms in foreign garb. Two are armed with a maul and a shield, and the third a crossbow. They skid to a halt about 11 yards from Fost (and a little more than 8 yards from Richard’s perch). The lead man notices the elf behind both Fost and Loran and points at them with his maul.

“That one belongs to our master,” he says with an accent that Mikhail believes to be of Tevinter. “Give ‘er here!”

OOC: We have a map!

I created a map for the scene. I left a small measure in the bottom left corner, and each character counter is 2 yards by 2 yards (reflecting body positioning).

The light colored irregular shapes in the center are the rock formation, and the areas between them are higher elevation than the rest of the middle green landscape; they’re low enough, though, that the rocks can provide some cover while standing.

The dark area on the left of the map is where the terrain starts to sharply rise (hillside).

And the center part of each tree provides some cover.
Fost
 player, 25 posts
 Fereldan Freeman/Warrior
 Health 40/40
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 19:25
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
"And who would be that master you talk about?", Fost demanded.
Brother Loran
 player, 18 posts
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 19:50
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Brother Loran gentle pushed the girl back slightly but keeping in front of her " stay behind us my child. If things look to go against my friends head in that direction follow the path and you will find a village tell the chantry brother Loran said to give you sanctuary"
Mikhail Loren
 player, 15 posts
 Circle Mage
 HP 27, MP 15
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 19:55
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
"I wouldn't waste too much breath on that question, Fost. Slavery is still illegal here." This was starting to turn out fantastically, he sarcastically thought to himself. "And if Tevinter is all the way down here, the Arl should be told as soon as possible."

Now, with some amount of knowledge at hand, he readied his staff. "Now, this is a little bit of a curiosity. On a day of celebration of a new life, we have the opportunity to provide twice over." He reached out to tug at the power at the edge of the Fade, reading his mind for spellcasting for when, not if, this turned violent.
Richard
 player, 9 posts
 Fereldan Freeman
 Rogue Archer
Fri 27 Mar 2020
at 22:35
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Richard Smiled to himself, few things in this world truly delighted him, food, drink, women, song, and a good fight, okay so a lot of things make him happy. A good fight though that was something that got his blood pumping. His bow up and ready, arrow knocked his eyes honed in on the crossbowman, he will be the first to go down. Fost will take care of the men-at-arms.
Fost
 player, 26 posts
 Fereldan Freeman/Warrior
 Health 40/40
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 08:10
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Fost frowned, his companions were way too eager to start a fight.

09:08, Today: Fost rolled 16 using 3d6+3 with the AGE System with rolls of {4}, 3, 6.  DEX (Initiative)
Brother Loran
 player, 19 posts
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 14:00
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Brother Loran held out a hand towards the new comers " my good sir please put any thoughts of violence aside I am sure this can be worked out."

The brother took a step forward "I am a brother of the chantry and a servant of the maker this girl has asked me for sanctuary and as such I must abide my my faith and the teachings of the maker ."

He took another step forward "there is a chantry house in the village yonder the mother superior there will have to judge the validity of the girls request. I ask that if indeed she is part of your masters house then the mother superior will take your words into account but I must warn you to attack a member of the chantry or one who has asked for sanctuary will be an attack on the church itself and your master will be called to task on your actions. The decision of course is yours to make but would your master thank you for the eyes of the chantry turning into his business"

Brother Loran hoped that his words would at least give them time to think of a plan of action that didn't involve death
Evil GM
 GM, 23 posts
Sat 28 Mar 2020
at 22:02
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
The girl nods weakly, and rights herself enough that she can flee, if needed, not that either of them thinks she’d actually make it if she had to run much further.

“We don’t recognize your woman-led heresy, ‘brother.’ Our master is Lord Magister Diadumens, visiting from Minrathous, and the elf is a member of his household,” the first man-at-arms replies. “Just give her over, and you won’t be harmed.”

To emphasize his point, he taps the head of his maul on his shield. Behind him, the crossbowman says something in their native tongue, nodding toward Brother Loran, which the first man shrugs off.
Mikhail Loren
 player, 16 posts
 Circle Mage
 HP 27, MP 15
Sun 29 Mar 2020
at 00:32
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
"Visiting from Minrathus, you say. Well then, have him come to Castle Redcliffe and claim her himself, if he dares. Afterall, he is the one skulking about in the forest, hiding like a common criminal. And do you honestly believe I'd think she was apart of his household in his eyes. No, I bet you view her more like his property, am I right?" Lord Magister... that would imply mage, right? All mages from Tevinter were blood mages, at least according to rumor. No Circles and the Mages lord their power over the people, clearly a violation of the Chant of Light. This could be bad news, and something the Circle should be made aware of. If Tevinter was here, where else where they? Damn, now he wished he had actually taken some more language books for study.

He kept his voice low as he spoke to Brother Loran, keeping his focus on the men nearby. "Well, that makes a certain sense. Not recognizing Val Royeaux proper place, and following their own Black Divine. Still, they do themselves no favors by simply threating and demanding action."

16:31, Today: Mikhail Loren rolled 14 using 3d6+2 (2 stunt points) with the AGE System with rolls of {2}, 5, 5.  Initiative. Just in case.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:21, Mon 30 Mar.

Fost
 player, 27 posts
 Fereldan Freeman/Warrior
 Health 40/40
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 13:43
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Mikhail was treading treacherous terrain there.
He had no idea what or where Minrathous was and he could not really evaluate the importance of Lord Magister Diadumens. He simply was not educated enough, but these fellows sure wore unusual clothing.
Clearly the circle mage had a much better picture about the situation.
Even so, Fost did not think it prudent to call someone who commanded at least three men-at-arms as someone 'skulking about in the forest' like some wretched thief. The man might be offended. And if hot temper were added to the mixture there might be trouble coming their way.
If these men had any honour they would defend their Lord and attack them. Anticipating exactly that, he adopted a defensive stance.
"In case you still have not gotten the gist of what we are telling you: We will not release the girl into your hands. Do what you will about this, it's your blood that will paint this place red not ours."

14:43, Today: Fost rolled 12 using 3d6+4 (3 stunt points) with the AGE System with rolls of {3}, 2, 3.  STR (Intimidate).
Sheesh...

Evil GM
 GM, 25 posts
Mon 30 Mar 2020
at 16:42
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
The thug pulls back slightly at Fost's posturing, a facade of confusion accompanying the fear in his eyes as the intimidator suddenly realizes what it feels like to be intimidated.

"I - This will not be the end of this! Our master will hear of your impudence!" he growls, and takes a step back.

However, neither his fellow man-at-arms nor the crossbowman appear to be cowed, and they begin to quarrel with their compatriot in their native tongue, seemingly ignoring the locals entirely. With their attention elsewhere, the elf girl decides this is the best time to follow Brother Loran's advice and begins to back away from the assembled group.
Brother Loran
 player, 20 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 06:55
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Brother Loran notices the girl move out of the corner of his eye and slowly backed up to.

He was concerned that there might be fighting and he was prepared to be the last line of defences to allow the girl to get to the village
Richard
 player, 11 posts
 Fereldan Freeman
 Rogue Archer
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 12:47
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Unsure if to react or not, it was obvious the men were distracted and therefore an attack might be jarring to the men, however, other the Fost, he hadn't fought with the others, and did know their minds. Furthermore was it smart to make such powerful enemies?

Quietly, "Fost, shall we like at the bar show these men a good time?"
Fost
 player, 29 posts
 Fereldan Freeman/Warrior
 Health 40/40
Tue 31 Mar 2020
at 13:25
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
"Listen you men."
"This is a matter for our betters to decide. Why spill blood in what we think may be to their best interest ? They are the lords and ladies, we are just the soldiers. And I believe neither you nor us have explicit orders as to how to handle this matter."
"I suggest that rather than fight this out now you withdraw and report to your Lord. Maybe he will order you to take the girl by force if needs be. Fine by me, we'll be seeing each other then again on the field of battle. By my lord's orders. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be injured because of a misinterpretation of my lord's will that might even anger my lord anyway. Are you certain your Lord will not have your guts if he hears that you fought us ? Is the girl worth it ? I seriously doubt it. She's just an Elf. Want to lie in the dirt screaming for your mother because of an Elven girl ? I sure don't. Regardless, we will not release the girl to you unless our Lord explicitely tells us to do so."

Maybe they are not free thinkers, nor free men, maybe they are just soldiers doing what they are told, maybe sowing some doubt will get us out of this mess... for now, Fost thought as he tried to reason with the men seeing that his intimidation attempt had failed.


14:22, Today: Fost rolled 16 using 3d6+2 (4 stunt points) with the AGE System with rolls of {4}, 5, 5.  COM (Persuasion).
Evil GM
 GM, 30 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 05:08
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
The trio stop their bickering and look in unison at the warrior. They exchange a glance and turn back to the group; the lead man-at-arms opens his mouth to speak, but closes it in thought. After several moments, the lead one blurts out, "I don't need to bleed today."

The others seem to agree with the sentiment, and the crossbowman suggests, "Maybe we go back to our lord magister and tell him locals have found a missing member of his household, and that he can petition for her return from the master of the village."

"The Arl of Redcliffe," Orlin corrects.

"Uh, yes."

The other man-at-arms gestures at the chantry brother. "Make sure she stays with you."

With that, the three men back out the way they came, leaving the girl and her rescuers. She straightens up, confused by the sudden turn of events. "That - that's it?"
Richard
 player, 13 posts
 Fereldan Freeman
 Rogue Archer
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 14:04
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Jumping down from the rocks Richard puts away the arrow and bow. "Well, that was nice, I would have loved to stick those men full of arrows like a pin cushion. In the end much wiser. Well done my friend!" He pats Fost on the shoulder, "Didn't know you had it in you." He turns to the she-elf now that the threat is gone and gives her a wink. "Well, shall you all return with our newest guest? I should think it wise that Orlin and I follow those boys. I would think the Arl would like to know there location, and number if possible."

Waiting first, to let the men get further away, their tracks will be easy enough to follow, and Richard doesn't wish to get to close without proper backup.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 15:30, Thu 02 Apr.

Fost
 player, 33 posts
 Fereldan Freeman/Warrior
 Health 40/40
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 14:45
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Fost just shrugged.
It looked like he had not particularly enjoyed doing the talking but had acted simply out of necessity.
"We need to know how many foreigners are on the Arl's lands and what threat they pose."
"Mikhail, Loran and I will bring the girl to the Arl."
"You stay safe and don't get too reckless."
, he added with a less rough tone.
Richard
 player, 14 posts
 Fereldan Freeman
 Rogue Archer
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 15:32
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Mockingly Richard says, "Yes mother," As he turns to leave smacking Orlin on the shoulder, come on my diminutive friend we have tracking to do.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:32, Thu 02 Apr.

Brother Loran
 player, 22 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2020
at 16:32
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Brother Loran looked at Richard "may the maker protect you" he said giving the sign of the maker.

He then turned to Fost. "Well played master Fost. You showed restraint which will be rewarded in the yes of the maker. It is good that you are with us"

Finally he turned to the elf girl"for now it would seem you are under the protection of the chantry and our lord. You have nothing to fear from us but I would suggest we make haste and get within the walls of the chantry chapel or the castle before too long in case those brave men decide to come looking for you again"
Mikhail Loren
 player, 17 posts
 Circle Mage
 HP 27, MP 15
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 01:16
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
He slightly relaxed his grip on his staff, not entirely sure about the next few steps as they played out in his mind. "Before we move ahead of ourselves, perhaps introductions are in order." Nodding to her in a simple bow and planting his staff in the ground, he smiled, changing his tone to something far more pleasant. "I'm Mikhail, a mage of the Fereldan Circle." He waited for the others to introduce themselves, but there was much more to discuss before they drop this whole situation on the Arl's doorstep. Oh, this was had the potential to be really bad for all of them, elf maiden included.
Fost
 player, 34 posts
 Fereldan Freeman/Warrior
 Health 40/40
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 05:31
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Fost frowned, more in puzzlement than anything else.
Ferelden may have ruled against slavery but that did not mean that lower people were treated well. And few cared about Elves anyway.
He scoffed at the notion of wasting time on introductions.
"Hurry up, we have to leave this immediate area, maybe they change their minds. Richard, Orlin, we will meet in the village."
"Stand up girl, you are safe for now. And will be as long as you stay near us. We will see soon if you can be released from your master's clutches."

With long strides he turned back down to the village, assuming that Loren would handle the girl in case she balked.
Evil GM
 GM, 32 posts
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 20:18
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
As they move slowly -- too slowly for Fost's liking, it seems -- toward the village before the two rogues split off, the elf responds to Mikhail's introduction. "I am called Sexta," she says, her Trade Tongue a bit halting. "Thank you for protecting me."

The dwarf dips his head to the girl. "I'm Orlin, and this is Richard, Fost, and the kind one is Loran," he says. "And you're welcome."

As he turns to leave with Richard, he adds, "We'll see you three back in the chantry?"
Mikhail Loren
 player, 22 posts
 Circle Mage
 HP 27, MP 15
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 23:50
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
A curious name, but a more curious figure. He nodded to Orlin and Richard as they departed, giving a small wave. "I'm sure we will all be needed at least as witnesses soon. Stay... not safe, I guess, but quiet. That works."

He took up the rear position in their group so he could ask Sexta some questions. Trying to be as respectful as possible, he felt that now was as good a time as any to start asking question. "Sexta. What are you allowed to tell us about your.. no, about that Lord Magister. Please understand, we want to help you, but we do owe Arl Eamon a proper explanation." As sad as it was to admit, there was also the discrimination against elves to consider. Within the Circle, he was mostly insulated from such talk and practices. However, it could be difficult to get anyone else to listen to the words of an elf. Especially with the Dalish still out and about... somewhere.

No, it would most likely need to come from Fost. It stands to reason he had the best chance of getting someone to listen to what ever she would say.
Brother Loran
 player, 23 posts
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 07:33
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
Brother Loran walked next to the girl giving her an arm if she stumbled or just for comfort.

As they set off he took his light walking cloak off and places it over her shoulder and reached for his water skin to offer her a drink along with a small hand of dried fruit he kept in a pouch.

"Mistress Sexta I am brother Loran I am a member of the chantry and a servant of the maker. I promised you that you have the chantry protection and I'm sure our lord will cover that protection with his own once he hears your tale. For now we must make our way as quickly as we can once in the village you can rest and gain your strength"
Evil GM
 GM, 35 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 02:14
Story 101 - An Escape of Opportunity
OOC: Going to move to separate groups after this post.

"I don't know the master very well; I am a servant to his senior servants, and have not had much interaction with the household," she says. "I heard from the men-at-arms that we're traveling to a place called Lothering, to visit an acquaintance he made in the Free Marches some years back. I can’t say more.

She nods appreciatively at Loran’s promise of protection. “Truly, I thank you for your kindness. I was left alone at our camp, and took the chance to flee. Unfortunately, the men-at-arms saw me as I reached the open land and gave chase. I only just made it to you.