The Miskatonic Camp.   Posted by Keeper of the Dark Woods.Group: 0
James Theaker, Ph.D.
 player, 125 posts
 Archaeology Professor
 Miskatonic University
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 11:28
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Saturday, 4 September 1926, after Noon,  The Miskatonic Camp
"Being self-made means putting yourself in position to help others put themselves in position to be successful." A Boogie wit da Hoodie


Theaker looks at the books and finds them very disturbing. He believes that the source of the problems in Blackwater Creek are probably based in whatever is in the cave. Someone is trying to cover up the problem and the Roades' got in the way and were killed.

Theaker would pass that information on to George and Thomas. He would also add what the group as done and about to do and to tell McTavish the whole story.
Adds, "If you do not hear from us in two days, send help fast!"
Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 244 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 12:04
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
George and Thomas can now see what is interesting in the books.

I'm not quite sure what James means by "add what the group as done and about to do and to tell McTavish the whole story" and whom he's addressing when he says "If you do not hear from us in two days, send help fast". Is that all in a letter to McTavish or is he leaving someone behind with these instructions?

James Theaker, Ph.D.
 player, 126 posts
 Archaeology Professor
 Miskatonic University
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 16:00
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
In reply to Keeper of the Dark Woods (msg # 53):

Theaker shows George and Thomas the books and tells them about what they say.

Theaker realizes that Dr. Bliant and Frank have already gone to Arkham.
He writes the following note to McTavish.


To Ernest McTavish, Ph.D.

Dr. McTavish here is our current situation:

Something is causing physical problems in Blackwater Creek. Dr. Bliant can give a good description of the malady.  Water, critter and alcohol samples are being sent back.  The source of contamination may be a cave that Henry Roades may have dynamited.  He may have wanted to get to the source of the contamination. We will go there and see what is the source.

Additionally, the contamination may be affecting the towns population. There seems to be a new devotion to a "Great Mother" figure. That may be related to the book, "Indian Tribes of the Northeast by Ethan Chapman (1893)". The legends may have been remembered or known by someone and "started" the town's beliefs.

The Roades' are probably dead, due to bootleggers, moonshiners or religious zealots. The Roades' may have stumbled onto their "business" or someone wanting to keep the town's new religion secret or failed to convert the Roades'.

If they did away with the Roades', we are probably in danger also.

Respectfully, James Theaker

Theaker places the note in an envelope, addresses the letter to Ernest McTavish's home in Arkham and puts a stamp on the letter.

"George can you take it to Brewer and request that he drive it into Arkham and post it there? Here is some money to take care of that."

This message was last edited by the player at 15:52, Thu 09 July 2020.

Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 245 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Wed 8 Jul 2020
at 16:13
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
In reply to James Theaker, Ph.D. (msg # 54):

Unfortunately, Frank and Dr. Bliant departed for Arkham before James got back from Dunwich. A letter could be mailed at Baxter's store in the village.

George Mogrey
 player, 166 posts
 Huntin' Shootin'
 Fishin'
Thu 9 Jul 2020
at 20:02
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
"I'd put another few dollars on there if you want him to go upon the moment, not the week," George remarks, not sure of the source of Theaker's restlessness.

"As for the cave...I guess that immortal n' immobile "council" would be some set of idols, sure. Not sure it'd mean anything to us 'less Henry brought them out or spoke of them about the district, though. I guess we'd be nearer the source to go up and look, though how close you'll get that car of yours I don't know."

James Theaker, Ph.D.
 player, 128 posts
 Archaeology Professor
 Miskatonic University
Sat 11 Jul 2020
at 00:37
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Saturday, 4 September 1926, after Noon,  The Miskatonic Camp
"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." Mario Andretti


Theaker digs a bit deeper and pulls out more folding money.  He states, "Go ahead and take what you need to get him moving today.  We are pressed for time.  The letter is addressed to his home, so have it delivered there."  Theaker thinks for a minute and then writes URGENT on the letter before handing it to George.

"When you get back we will head to the "source".  Christine, are you up for a walk and maybe some adventure?  Sounds like we will need to walk."
Thomas Daniels
 player, 34 posts
 Graduate Student
 Doctoral candidate
Sat 11 Jul 2020
at 03:23
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
posted by the Keeper

"Hold on, Professor. Maybe we should go back to Arkham and tell the police what we've discovered. If this was too much for Professor Roades-- Well, I mean, isn't discretion the better part of valor?"
James Theaker, Ph.D.
 player, 129 posts
 Archaeology Professor
 Miskatonic University
Sat 11 Jul 2020
at 12:26
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Saturday, 4 September 1926, after Noon,  The Miskatonic Camp
"The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
"Old Man's Advice to Youth: 'Never Lose a Holy Curiosity.'" LIFE Magazine (2 May 1955) p. 64 Albert Einstein


Theaker takes a few moments and considers Thomsas' statement.  He then responds, "It is well to consider the dangers from the bootleggers.  But, in this case, I think some determination of what is going on here is necessary.  If anyone wants to stay behind, then do so.  I think armed,  George and I, maybe with Christine, will deter any hostilities.

Do you wish to drive back to Arkham with the letter?"

Thomas Daniels
 player, 35 posts
 Graduate Student
 Doctoral candidate
Sat 11 Jul 2020
at 12:41
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
posted by Keeper

James considers for a moment before replying.

"No, Professor, I'm with you. I just thought we should consider it. I'm ready to go."
George Mogrey
 player, 167 posts
 Huntin' Shootin'
 Fishin'
Sat 11 Jul 2020
at 14:37
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
"That all said, remember," George says, heading off to do some considerable persuading of the local farmer, "-that the Roadeses were took off at night. Could be there won't be any idols to see up there, if the locals have gone'n removed 'em off to the church or some like." He gets along, Bee at heel.
Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 248 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 02:22
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
George is soon back, having gotten Brewer's agreement (for just two dollars) to take the letter across to Dunwich in time for the postman to get it in his afternoon pickup.

The little group soon is outfitted for their exploration, carrying electric torches and a carbide lamp, a few lengths of stout rope, canteens of wholesome water, and a sandwich and an apple each.

As they set off eastwards on the logging road, Bee frisks about on the margins of the woods.
George Mogrey
 player, 168 posts
 Huntin' Shootin'
 Fishin'
Mon 13 Jul 2020
at 21:43
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
George'd given Theaker the remainder of his cash back, explaning that their host would post his missive but could not be prevailed upon to leave so long as to deliver by hand so late in the season, and not to worry on that too much as Mr. Smith would surely make some report by telephone. Bee had followed anyone and everyone fetching things out, and eventually gone and fetched a stick in an attempt to help.

Presently George was making his way in front, both to make sure they stayed on course for the rough location of the cave and in case Bee found anything worth shooting at. The birds still didn't sound quite right here.
Christine Blake Theaker
 player, 114 posts
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 11:41
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Christine takes in her surroundings, pausing for a moment to light a cigarette, she offers the pack to the group, should anyone else care for one themselves. "I'm not sure I'm the only one, but does something here feel, I'm not sure how to say it... Amiss?" She asks to those present, taking a long draw on the cigarette.
Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 249 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 12:16
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
[What firearms, if any are you taking on this hike? I assume George has his rifle, as usual.]

As the little group follows the logging road, George points out various flora and fauna to the city folk. They pass the derelict Roades camp which impresses on them their mission to find what happened to their friends and colleagues. The woods approach closer and closer to the track until there are trees close at hand on both sides. The woods on the south side of the old road seem somehow dark in the afternoon light, the shadows of the crowded trees morphing into wild and fanciful shapes although there's no breeze to speak of. It's easy to catch Christine's feeling of dread.

A half hour or so of walking brings them to where the track intersects the once-dry gully of the old creek. The water, dark and sluggish flows knee-deep across their path and they see where the road rises up on the far side.
George Mogrey
 player, 169 posts
 Huntin' Shootin'
 Fishin'
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 14:00
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
[[He does. If Frank left the shotgun here that'd be available for anyone wanting it, too.

Is this the same spot George crossed at yesterday?]]


Having smoked sufficiently for a while after breakfast George had turned down Christine's offer, but agreed with a nod, at least, to her observation that the place felt 'off'.

Now he points out the damage to the creekside shrubs and foliage. "There'll be more'n plants getting sick off all that poisin," he states.
Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 250 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 15:04
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
In reply to George Mogrey (msg # 66):

[Yes, same place where the old logging "road" crosses the creek-bed.]
George Mogrey
 player, 170 posts
 Huntin' Shootin'
 Fishin'
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 16:03
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
"'Crost there you run into the Cartwrights' spread not ten minutes on...along the creek's likely the same, got the dam downstream right down there. Reckon we ought to head off about that way to skirt the edge of the place," he indicates, watching that Bee doesn't plunge over there in a fit of enthusiasm. "Catch up with the water a piece higher up, under the Jarveys' place. There's a crossing there if we need it."



[[edit: I have no sense of direction.]]

This message was last edited by the player at 16:28, Tue 14 July 2020.

Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 251 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 16:06
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
In reply to George Mogrey (msg # 68):
James Theaker, Ph.D.
 player, 130 posts
 Archaeology Professor
 Miskatonic University
Tue 14 Jul 2020
at 19:46
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Saturday, 4 September 1926, after Noon, Walking towards the "Source"
"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward


Theaker seems to enjoy the walk, a few pesky mosquitoes bit nothing to spoil the walk.  He does not lag behind, but looks out along the path, a great September afternoon.

He answers George, "An excellent plan, why encourage problems when they can be avoided.  Christine, in case anything goes wrong, please stay as safe as you possibly can."
Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 252 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 13:50
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
The ground begins to rise and get rockier as they head upstream. The Trees become more sparse and the undergrowth thicker, but keeping along the bank of the creek it is less tangled. Eventually, they reach the place where George says he and Frank were able to cross on the rocks emerging from the relatively fast-moving water. About a half mile ahead, rocky cliffs can be seen above the trees.
George Mogrey
 player, 172 posts
 Huntin' Shootin'
 Fishin'
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 15:47
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
"Was about here I caught that first set of critters - the ones that vanished," George remarks, tramping upstream, then has a thought, looking back. "You still feeling good and hale, Theaker?"
James Theaker, Ph.D.
 player, 131 posts
 Archaeology Professor
 Miskatonic University
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 16:06
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Saturday, 4 September 1926, after Noon, Walking towards the "Source"
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot." Groucho Marx


Theaker snickers at the comment and sarcastically replies, "I'm fine, but you are looking a bit pale. Do you need to stop and rest?"

OOC: Theaker has in his shoulder holster, the Colt M1911 - 'Old Betsy'. He also has his backpack with him.
George Mogrey
 player, 173 posts
 Huntin' Shootin'
 Fishin'
Wed 15 Jul 2020
at 17:18
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
The comment just gets a look of blank puzzlement from the old hunter, like Theaker's told him he's turning green with orange polka dots. Bee loops back to make sure no-one's been lost then bounds into the undergrowth again, keen to find new things to smell and dig at.

"Weren't talkin about the terrain," George clarifies. He gives a slight shrug and keeps moving on.
Christine Blake Theaker
 player, 115 posts
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 22:16
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Christine nods. "I'll be fine James. I'm sure there's no need for alarm." She insists, hoisting an up and over shotgun, despite never had the need of using it in self defence. She smiles at him reassuringly.

Noting George's comment about the terrain, she shrugs and continues on herself, watching the ever contented Bee in the undergrowth. Things were so simple for dogs, it was enviable perhaps.
Keeper of the Dark Woods
 GM, 254 posts
 Think of me as a Friend.
 Please ask.
Sat 18 Jul 2020
at 13:12
Saturday Morning - The Miskatonic Camp
Closing this thread to continue in The Cave.