It begins.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 5 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 11:03
It begins
You've been asked to meet the baron tomorrow morning.  If you are not in the castle, you are given a wooden token to present, and told to ask for Arben.

Let me know if there are any preparations you wish to make
Theopholis
 player, 1 post
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 22:32
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 1):

After I've been presented with the token, I retreat to a hilly overlook outside of town. I stare back at the village, my cloak rippling dramatically behind me in the breeze. I roll the token between my fingers, hoping that this meeting with the baron is the break I had been looking for to advance my quest. I sit and enter a meditative trance, allowing me to contact my tribe's elders and update them on my progress. Tomorrow I shall see what the baron can offer me, but tonight I rest and consider my options.

The following day, I approach the castle at the appointed time and ask for Arben.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 1 post
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 06:52
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 1):

I haven't seen those distant relatives for years, even though the castle is only a few hours from the Blackwood lands.  Certainly not since little Arby came to power.  Things are slow here, so I'm relieved at the chance for a trip anyway.  I have my servant goblin Gobby pack up some things to travel, not sure how long I should expect to be gone.  And plan to get a very early start in the morning to get there at a good time.
Storyteller
 GM, 7 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 10:58
It begins
When morning comes, you make your way up the hill to the castle.  It is old, and may have seen better days, but does seem busy.  A guard meets Bella and escorts her to Arben, who has just met Theopolis again.

Arben is a young man, about 18-20 years old.  His clothes seem barely acceptable for a nobleman, being a bit ragged, but when you meet him he is supervising the building of the new stable for the castle, so he is probably the best-dressed man on the construction site.

When he sees Bella, he breaks off his conversation with Theopolis.
"Ah, good morning cousin.  Good to see you.  Come!  we have things to discuss。

He walks into what looks to be the main hall
Bella Blackwood
 player, 2 posts
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 18:09
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 4):

I will go in with him and see what is going on
Zarotyma
 player, 1 post
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 20:13
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 1):

Its been a while since i have been back to this castle. Last time I was here was about 2 years ago for about 2 months helping the common folk find food as there stores had become low toward the end of winter.   Before i left, i helped one of the nobles find thier son that had wondered into the woods and gotten lost.

I have a very short hair cut, always wear my brown traveling clothes- knee-high boots, long pants, sleeve-less shirt, and long traveling coat.

I take the token and return to the castle. I dont present it right away but take a walk around the castle to see if i wish to join.. or at least see if there are a few pranks i can pull before i do
Theopholis
 player, 2 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 04:46
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 4):

I follow Arben and Bella, scanning the layout and contours of the main hall, should a quick relocation or exit be necessary.
Urison
 player, 3 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 08:35
It begins
Urison arrives at the castle in his best finery.  The clothes look like they were probably expensive at one point, but that was some time ago.  He walks straight up to the entrance, tosses the token to a guard and walks in without waiting to see the guard's response.  He drums his fingers on the pommel of his sheathed longsword as he walks, looking for the baron.
Storyteller
 GM, 8 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 11:46
It begins
Guards will do their best to steer Urison and Zarotyma towards the main hall.  When the baron sees you two, he smiles and welcomes you (assuming you aren't battling guards or something).


OOC: this is probably a good time to have you all describe your characters.  Let's do that before we go on
Zarotyma
 player, 2 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 23:34
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 9):

I am 5'8"tall, lanky but muscular. I have light hazel eyes that change color based on my surroundings and light brown hair. I have minmal belongings and always have my trusty slip-shot in my back pocket.

I didn't see much havoc to wreck in the castle grounds at this time so begrudgingly follow the guards to meet the baron.
Theopholis
 player, 3 posts
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 04:21
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 9):

When you look at Theo, you can't help feeling a confusing disconnect. His wavy black hair appears both well kept yet disheveled. His deep brown eyes seem both disinterested yet keenly attentive. His dark gray hooded traveling cloak both draws your eye yet appears to be nothing special. One thing that definitely stands our is a distinct tattoo of interconnected rings across his temples and forehead that clearly marks him as a member of the legendary Cartersian order.

The Cartersians are a reclusive tribe of sorcerers known mostly as myth because of their secrecy and solitude. Bards' songs tell of their power to warp space and time and bend reality to suit their will. Could this man be an imposter? If so, why would he choose such an unbelievable disguise. If not, what cause would a Cartersian have to leave his mountain hideaway?
Urison
 player, 4 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 05:06
It begins
Urison has a long, elegant figure.  His black hair is too long and unkempt to be considered fashionable, but fortunately his face is still easy to rest eyes upon.  He walks confidently through the main hall, his back never less than perfectly straight.

Upon being welcomed by the baron, Urison gives a practiced bow with great finesse.  "Baron Arben," he says at the bottom of the bow before rising, making sure to give the proper deference. "Thank you for the invitation.  It is a pleasure."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:38, Wed 08 Apr 2020.

Bella Blackwood
 player, 3 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 05:50
It begins
Bella is of average height and build, about 20 years old, with long black hair.  Her clothes look very well tailored and of high quality.  She walks with confidence and seems unimpressed by the surroundings in the castle, and not particularly deferential to the baron, just friendly.  She arrived on a horse, but looking fresh and clean somehow.  She lets Gobby, her goblin take care of the horse.

Gobby then sneaks off to see if his cousins are around.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:56, Thu 09 Apr 2020.

Storyteller
 GM, 10 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 16:15
It begins
The baron greets the two new arrivals, and waves everyone to a table.

"I appreciate you coming.  I, or rather we" he gestures at Bella, have need of a few brave, skilled individuals.  It is my hope you three will agree to help us."

"There are many things that need doing in my domain, and I expect it will be years before my days are not filled with the tasks before me.  But I do believe there is a day when my people will find themselves prosperous and safe.  We have no lack of talent, and we will be successful.

We are kin to the Vraath family, though they seem to have perished.  Through them, we could claim their holdings in the Elsir Vale.  When the day comes that I may rule in leisure, I would reward my kin by awarding them Castle Vraath, and see their lands ruled wisely."

"Bella has offered to go to the castle and see what condition it is in, as well as the surrounding communities. I wish to know what they need, and ensure they will greet us as friends and their rightful lords, and not as invaders."

"What we ask, then, is that you accompany her to the castle and assist in determining whether it is worth reclaiming.  See what you may learn about the people, and return to me."

"You will, of course, be compensated for your troubles. Theopolis, if you wish to continue on from the castle, I will provide some letters which may assist you with your task."

"Will you aid us in this?"

Urison
 player, 5 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 17:42
It begins
Urison shoots a glance at Bella when the baron mentions their relation.  He then gives more appraising looks to the other two when the baron mentions he has summoned three "brave, skilled indivuals."

Urison nods as the baron finishes speaking, mulling a few things over.

"I could certainly aid you in this.  I would need a copy of a signed contract of course.  Safe delivery of Bella to the castle and back, and a daily allowance for however long she wishes to stay there inspecting the lands."

He hesitates to say something, trying to figure out how best to phrase it.  "And perhaps a down payment would help us to outfit ourselves to better protect our charge."
Theopholis
 player, 4 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 06:01
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 14):

Theopholis listens coolly, wondering how this mission will aid his quest. Then the baron mentions the letters. I don't know what letters he has that could help me complete my task, but any possible lead is worth exploring. The threads of the universe are interwoven in mysterious ways. If this is where my travels have lead me, then this mission is mine to undertake. I agree to aid the baron.
Storyteller
 GM, 12 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 00:09
It begins
The baron thinks for a few seconds, then nods.  "Yes, you should be able to outfit yourselves for this.  I will have someone bring you an advance on your earnings, and perhaps we can see about provisioning you.  Give me a moment."


He stands, and leaves.

A few minutes later a servant enters and counts out 25 gold for each of you except Bella



OOC:
We'll gloss over the haggling. If you agree to 2 gp a day, that is a little above average, and should add up to a nice amount, as there should be a few weeks traveling. The castle can provide any common piece of equipment (arrows, ropes, torches) though anything unusual might elicit awkward questions.  Nothing illegal, obviously.     

Urison
 player, 6 posts
Wed 15 Apr 2020
at 21:54
It begins
Urison nods.  "Yes that will be satisfactory.  I would still like to request a signed copy before we leave.  And when is that to be by the way?  Tomorrow?"

Urison follows the servant to the store rooms and take as much as he can gather: rope, torches, a tent, blankets, and -- if allowed -- water and dried food.
Storyteller
 GM, 13 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 13:56
It begins
In a fairly short time, a written copy of your agreement is drawn up.  The servant notes things that are being taken, but says nothing.  Nothing is very expensive or irreplaceable, so it seems you are allowed to help yourself.

Another servant brings a few letters to Theopolis.  They are addressed to some other nobles, and ask you be allowed passage and assistance with your quest. They may not have much power, but could be useful in getting a meeting with some of these people if necessary.

It is up to you all when you begin.  The next day should work, unless anyone else has plans that require more time
Zarotyma
 player, 3 posts
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 20:45
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 19):

Zarityma looks around at the others and determines they seem a bit uptight and easily riled.  This adventure could be fun.

She accepts the proposal and is tired of being around everyone.  She states, to no one in particular, that she is ready to leave as soon as everyone else gets there crap together.  "I'll be waiting just outside the front gates. swing by and get me when you guys decide to head out."
Theopholis
 player, 5 posts
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 21:22
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 19):

Tomorrow works. I update the elders, then spend some time bonding with the universe so it guides us on our journey.
Urison
 player, 7 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 04:39
It begins
Urison shows up the next day wearing traveler's garb and carrying plenty of supplies.
Storyteller
 GM, 14 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 12:32
It begins
The next morning you gather at the castle.  Arben meets you briefly, wishing you luck and making sure his aides have been cooperative.  If everyone is satisfied, he takes his leave, turning you over to his aides.  One of them tells you there are a few carts of lumber heading east, and that the drivers have been told to take you part way to the lake.

The first week or so of travel are fairly uneventful.  When you reach the lake, you take the ferry across to one of the fishing villages on the far side.  That is the last time you are able to stay in an inn, as there are a few days of following the rarely used paths until you reach the Thorn Road.

The Thorn Road leads to Elsir Vale. It is wide enough that two fully laden wagons can pass with no trouble, but it is rare you see any other travelers.  It is early spring, so most are working on their farms, but it still seems that few wish to live near the foothills.  Peasants tell tales of wolves, bears, and goblins (Gobby gets some hard looks), and most seem to be thinking of moving elsewhere.

The road takes you through the edge of the hills, and all traces of human habitation disappear.  The Thornwaste is known to most of you as a wasteland holding nothing but dangerous animals and outcasts.  Unless you're fools, you'll be keeping watch for bandits.

Yesterday evening, you finally heard the roar of the Elsir River and were able to make camp near it last night.  In another day or so, you should be inside the Vale, not too far from the castle.

More stuff in the OOC thread
Storyteller
 GM, 16 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 15:23
It begins
As you begin to get ready for another day of travel, you can hear some shouts in the distance.  They don't sound very clear, but it sounds like some men yelling, and a wolf or dog howling.  It is probably further down the road. There are enough trees that you can't see anything
Urison
 player, 9 posts
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 23:31
It begins
"We should go check that out.  It's possible some peasants need our help."  Urison says to the party before turning to the baron's men and saying, "I suggest we stop the wagon for now, so we don't get separated."

Urison begins walking towards the noise.
Storyteller
 GM, 17 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 09:51
It begins
Urison (and any who join him) don't have to go long before the sounds of fighting become much clearer.  You can hear the sounds of weapons striking and the snarling of something (maybe big dogs).  Whatever is happening, it is not too far away.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 5 posts
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 14:49
It begins
I approach with the group, although I am on horse.  As the sounds of fighting become clearer, I pick up the pace until I get close enough to see what is going on.

Gobby hides and watches, sneaking closer for a better view.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:33, Tue 28 Apr 2020.

Urison
 player, 10 posts
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 14:56
It begins
Urison draws his longsword and cautiously walks towards the sound.
Theopholis
 player, 7 posts
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 20:52
It begins
In reply to Urison (msg # 28):

I draw my dagger and stay near the back of the advancing party. If we're going over a hill or around a corner to meet the battlers, I hold at a point where I can see both the wagons and the scuffle and keep my eyes on both.
Storyteller
 GM, 18 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 14:23
It begins
Bella goes on a bit ahead, still on her horse.  Through the trees, she can see a group of goblins, who have some people backed up near a wagon.  These goblins are not the firendly servant type.  They are dressed in furs, and carrying assorted spears and swords.

The people near the wagon (probably three, but tough to see clearly) seem to be trying to keep back the goblins.  They are outnumbered about 2 or 3 to 1.

Seems no one has seen Bella.


Urison, you can still see Bella, and can hear the fighting better than before, but can't really see anything yet.

Theopolis, the wagons aren't moving.  You'll be out of sight of the wagonsor Bella shortly.
Urison
 player, 11 posts
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 14:52
It begins
Urison runs around the wagon, opposite the people, hoping to flank the goblins.  Once there he lunges at the nearest goblin, hoping to take them by surprise.
Theopholis
 player, 8 posts
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 00:24
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 30):

Zarityma hasn't said she advanced, so I assume she's guarding the wagons. That or we left her outside the town wall. I note how far away the wagons are and then hurry to catch up to Urison. I approach the fray at a jog, but if the people seem in imminent peril, I will "get there" much faster.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 6 posts
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 00:44
It begins
Once I see what's going on I quietly tell everyone advancing behind me "Its a goblin attack!  They don't see us, let's surprise them". While Urison and Theo approach them, I stay at a distance and plan to attack one most menacing to one of the people with a spell at the same time as they attack so we can share the element of surprise.

Gobby is still sneaking closer to get a better looks, but he should come tell me if he notices any other goblins hiding out in the trees or any traps they have set we should know about.
Zarotyma
 player, 5 posts
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 02:04
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 30):

Tyma looks around and hears what everyone is saying about the group in front of them that needs help.  She wants to lend a hand but knows that she doesnt have much in the way of fighting skills; although she is deadly accurate with her sling shot.

She gets out a handful of stones ready to aim at the goblins, should the opportunity arrise, to at least distract and annoy the Goblins.

Tyma calls to a bird to fly and see if there are any big animals around (i.e., wolf or bear) that she might be able to convince to help attack the goblins.  She does notice some squirrels around  and promises them her stash of  nuts and dried berries if they storm the gobblins and bite at their feet or scurry up the gobblins' legs and poke at their eyes.
Storyteller
 GM, 19 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 1 May 2020
at 14:03
It begins
Things could possibly go better.

As Urison runs around to attack from the other side, one of the goblins sees him and throws a spear at him.  It misses, but the spearthrower takes out a meat cleaver and advances, along with another spear-armed goblin.  They are about 10 feet away.

Bella, you aren't sure exactly what happened, but Theopolis is suddenly next to you.  He was quick!  You two can see the goblins are aware of Urison.

Tyma hears from the birds that there are wolves, and this is upsetting to the squirrels. They think of leaving, but are intrigued by the promise of nuts.  The group of squirrels runs off to attack.
Urison
 player, 12 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 14:36
It begins
Seeing that he won't be surprising the goblins, Urison stops advancing.  He instead backs behind the corner of the wagon, planning to cut one of the pursuing goblins down as it rounds the corner.
Theopholis
 player, 9 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 20:15
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 35):

Now that I'm closer, how many goblins do I see? Are they all advancing on Urison? Does one of them appear to be the leader?
Storyteller
 GM, 20 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Sat 2 May 2020
at 15:55
It begins
In reply to Theopholis (msg # 37):

A quick count puts them at 6, with two pursuing Urison.  The other four are still going after whoever is pinned against the wagon
Zarotyma
 player, 6 posts
Sat 2 May 2020
at 16:50
It begins
Tyma howls to the wolves, promissing them all the goblin meat they want from the kill if they help assist with the fight.

Then i start pelting the goblins with the stones and my slingshot - aiming for thier eyes and unmentionable - hoping to draw them away from the common people at the wagons. From what she can remember, goblins are easily distracted especially if you are annoying enough to them.

I aslo mimic the sound of a large bear - hoping that would make the goblins nervous.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:56, Wed 13 May 2020.

Theopholis
 player, 10 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 00:55
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 38):

Since none appear to be the clear leader, I teleport in behind the ones going for the civilians and stab one quickly in a tender location that will make him howl in pain and grab the attention of the other goblins. Then as the others are turning to look, I take one quick step around to the other side of the group and stab another one. I then slide backwards 20 feet out of melee range and reassess.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:56, Sun 03 May 2020.

Storyteller
 GM, 21 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 4 May 2020
at 13:33
It begins
Urison changes direction and runs behind the wagon.  One goblin charges after him, shouting gleefully until he is skewered as he rounds the corner.  The other one was a bit more cautious, and draws up short.  He snarls and calls to the others for help.

The other goblins are startled as Theopolis appears behind one of their number, and stabs him from behind.  TWo whirl to face this new threat, and one of them is hit in the head by a rock.  He staggers,shaking his head, but recovers his balance.

There is an animal call from where you came from.


Theopolis can now see that there are two people with their backs to the wagon.  neither one is wearing armor, though each holds a short sowrd.  One is holding his chest and seems bloodied.  The other looks ok, though in a near panic as his eyes dart from goblin to goblin
Bella Blackwood
 player, 7 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 03:43
It begins
I send a lightning bolt to hit one of the ones that have not yet been attacked.
Urison
 player, 13 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 10:40
It begins
Urison leaps over the goblin he just killed and charges the other goblin.
Storyteller
 GM, 22 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 8 May 2020
at 13:36
It begins
Urison charges at his foe.  The goblin attempts to spear him, but it is easy to knock the spear aside and run him through.

One of the goblins throws his spear into Theopolis, hitting him in the shoulder.  The goblin is almost immediately blasted by a bolt of lightning from Bella, which knocks him flat.

The remaining goblins scatter, running into the woods.


There are two men with their backs against the wagon.  One is holding a sword and watching you all nervously.  The other has a hatchet and is holding on to the side of the wagon, trying to stay on his feet.  His clothes are covered in blood
Urison
 player, 14 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 15:27
It begins
Urison peeks around the wagon corner in time to see a goblin blasted by lightning and the rest break.

He walks up to the two men.  "Where are you injured?" he says to the one covered in blood.
Theopholis
 player, 11 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 21:40
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 44):

Theo grunts as the spear hits him and instinctively flashes up the road away from the attack. He pulls the spear free and readies himself for another attack, but he relaxes when he sees the assailants flee in the opposite direction.

Theo checks his wound and chides himself. "Idiot. This is why you shouldn't pretend to be a warrior." Then he studies the goblin spear and reconsiders. Perhaps he was meant to have this spear. Perhaps this wound was the universe's way of bringing it to him. Theo decides to keep the spear in the hopes that it can help him later on with his quest. He then cleans and bandages his wound.
Zarotyma
 player, 7 posts
Wed 13 May 2020
at 02:22
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 44):

Seeing that the fight is over, Tyma presents her nuts to the squirrels  as she promised, even if they did not have an effect - a promise is a promise.

She then wonders down to the wagons offering everyone berries and other random snacks she has picked up along the path up to now; hoping to restore some of the energy lost during the skirmish.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 8 posts
Wed 13 May 2020
at 06:04
It begins
Bella also approaches the wagon to see if the men are all right
Storyteller
 GM, 23 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Wed 13 May 2020
at 13:28
It begins
When Urison approaches, the two men tense a bit, but the hurt one lifts his shirt, revealing a pretty serious stab wound.  It is surprising he is standing, and he is unlikely to last more than a few minutes without some help.

The other man looks nervously at all of you, swallows, and says "Thanks.  We'd be dead without you.  Look, there are two kids over there," pointing towards the river, "and I need to find them.  Can you give me a hand?   We don't have much to pay you with, but you can have it if you'll just let us go."


It will be a minute or so before Theo finishes bandaging his wound, but the rest of you are free
Urison
 player, 15 posts
Wed 13 May 2020
at 14:32
It begins
Urison sets his sword softly onto the ground, and helps the injured man lie down on a soft patch of grass.  He softly states what sounds like an often rehearsed phrase, "Sun Father: I am merciful, but not strong enough to heal this alone; bathe me in your healing rays and I shall act as a beacon of your glory."

An uncertain look flits across Urison's face, but he hovers his hand over the wound, hoping it will be healed.
Storyteller
 GM, 24 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Sun 17 May 2020
at 01:19
It begins
There is a bit of a glow, and Urison feels something flow through him.  When he moves his hands, the wound is largely closed.  He probably should avoid fights, but seems out of danger
Theopholis
 player, 12 posts
Sun 24 May 2020
at 00:11
It begins
After a week of bandaging, I rejoin the group. Once I'm caught up on what's been said, I set off to search for the kids. I look for an elevated point that has a clear view of the river area and flash up there to see what I can see.
Urison
 player, 16 posts
Sun 24 May 2020
at 17:27
It begins
Urison looks down at the wound, happy -- and perhaps a little surprised -- to see the wound mending.

Rising to his feet, he asks the uninjured one to lead to where the kids went.
Storyteller
 GM, 25 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 25 May 2020
at 01:22
It begins
It doesn't take long to find the two children.  They have run to the river, and are hiding under a log.  When they see you,they crawl out and start running away
Theopholis
 player, 13 posts
Sat 30 May 2020
at 01:40
It begins
I step forward from my high place to directly in front of the children. I put up my hands and say, "Wait, I will not hurt you. I've been sent by your...parents? They are in a wagon up by the road and wish you to return."

As I say this, I have an odd feeling that something isn't quite right.
Storyteller
 GM, 26 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 01:47
It begins
The children stop, a bit suspicious.  They can be coaxed into heading back, wheretheir father is overjoyed to see them

What's next?
Theopholis
 player, 14 posts
Tue 2 Jun 2020
at 05:17
It begins
If the boys and their wagon are going our way, I suggest we escort them to their destination, or at least to a place of relative safety. If not, I ask Tyma if she can convince one of her woodland creatures to keep an eye on them until they are to safety. Then we presumably carry on.
Zarotyma
 player, 8 posts
Thu 4 Jun 2020
at 03:37
It begins
In reply to Theopholis (msg # 57):

Tyma happily complies with Theopholis' request.  She calls to the squirrels she had recently bribed with nuts and asks them to entertain the children.  She also asks them what type of payment they would take for completing this task.

While she awaits the squirrels' response, she asks the children if they would be willing to help take care of her squirrels while they wait for a decision of what to do next.  She tries to acertain if the children will treat the woodland creatures with respect or might do them harm.

She also sees a crow flying over head and calls out to it to see if the crow would keep an eye on the group from overhead.  She pulls out a small, shinny object from her pocket. It has no monetary value, but she also knows that crows can usually be bribed to do easy tasks with random shiny objects.

Tyma always enjoys being in the company of children and hopes that they agree to allow our group to escort them.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 9 posts
Thu 4 Jun 2020
at 03:55
It begins
I also fully support the offer to escort them, and hope we can get back on our way.
Urison
 player, 17 posts
Thu 4 Jun 2020
at 14:55
It begins
Urison inspects the person he healed while the rest of the party speaks to the children and owners of the wagon.  When it seems that everyone has finished, Urison finds whoever looks like to be in charge and says, "You lot seem ill equipped to fend off goblin raids.  Are they usually not a threat in these parts?"
Storyteller
 GM, 27 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Sun 7 Jun 2020
at 14:17
It begins
When Urison questions the men, they look a bit uncomfortable.  "Well, there are always some goblins and bandits in the hills, but things have been quiet lately.  We thought we might be able to make it through the hills if we moved before things got too warm, but they found us."
The other says "There's a place for travelers about a day's ride back.  We're thinking of heading back to find some more people to go on with.  If you don't mind, we'd like to go with you.  Probably safer for everyone if we travel as a group, though you guys look you don't need much help."

Assuming you agree, it isn't long before you have your wagons ready and everyone is ready to go on.  It is possible to bury the goblin bodies, but would be much faster to just burn them.  (They don't have much of value on them, though a few of their blades are of better than average quality.  Unusual for goblins.  Their armor is hides and leathers somewhat crudely stitched together and covered with dragon claw designs.  Too small for anyone except for Gobby, who would be horrified at the suggestion.  Otherwise, so dried meats and fruits and water skins.)

OOC: let me know if there's anything you'd want to do other than head down the road, or anything else you want to talk to them about
Theopholis
 player, 15 posts
Mon 8 Jun 2020
at 22:00
It begins
Let us continue on our way! I propose burning the goblins in a funeral pyre. I can stay with the pyre while the others continue on so we don't start a forest fire. I'm the best equipped to catch up with the party quickly. Plus, that would give me a chance to update the elders on recent events.
Urison
 player, 18 posts
Mon 8 Jun 2020
at 22:57
It begins
Urison helps Theo start the pyre before continuing with the caravan.  "We will see you shortly," he says to Theo before taking off.
Theopholis
 player, 16 posts
Sat 13 Jun 2020
at 20:43
It begins
The only tool I have to chop fire wood is the goblin spear, which is why it's taking so long to get this pyre started.
Storyteller
 GM, 28 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Tue 16 Jun 2020
at 14:51
It begins
It takes Theopolis a little while to get a fire going, but the work is relaxing.  The woods are quiet, apart from a few small animals and the sound of the enarby river.  After an hour or so, he has a fire going, and a little while later he can begin joging down the road after the others.


The rest follow the road along the river. No one else is about.  The sun is beginning to set when the dirt road becomes an old stone road.  According to the locals, it is only a mile or two to Midpoint, their resting palce from the night before.  Theopolis joins you around this point.

Pressing on, or camping out?
Theopholis
 player, 17 posts
Tue 16 Jun 2020
at 15:50
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 65):

Press on to Midpoint, but I get to ride in the wagon for a bit.
Urison
 player, 19 posts
Tue 16 Jun 2020
at 22:05
It begins
Urison welcomes Theopholis when he catches up with the group.  He agrees with pressing on.
Zarotyma
 player, 9 posts
Thu 9 Jul 2020
at 00:43
It begins
Tyma agrees to continue on to midpoint. She suggests making quasi beds in the wagon for the children so they do not slow the caravan down.

She calls to a few crows to ask them to keep an eye out for other creatures that may be on the path infront of them.
Storyteller
 GM, 29 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 09:28
It begins
The sun is setting when you see Midpoint.  It is a short, wide tower.  When you get closer and exit the trees, you can see it is surrounded by a 10-foot wall. Light on one side of the tower lets you know there is a fire inside, and voices let you know things seem ok.


The gates open when your companions call out, and you can bring the wagons into the courtyard.  There are about 10 men who seem to have been sitting around a fire with some ale.  Most are soon busy assisting with unhitching horses and getting the wagons lined up with some other carts.

After a minute or two a few of the men stop laughing as gasp out "Goblins?"  It seems word of the attack is getting out.  A bunch of questions are being shouted as the workers talk over each other, until  a dwarf comes over from the fire.

"Look, let's get those horses taken care of before there is any more gossip.  Do the work lads"

The men redouble their efforts and work out getting the horses out of the harness.  Next to the tower is what looks like a cave entrance, and the plan seems to bring the horses inside.

While this is going on, two men who had remained near the fire get up and hurry towards the tower's door.  They are the only two who seem armed, and both have tattoos that cover most of their left hands.


Layout:  The wall is a circle, and the tower is in the center.  It is about three stories tall.  Next to the tower is a mound with a large hole, where the men will take the horses (assuming no one objects or stops them).  It leads down.

There is a fire in a pit next to a simple outdoor workshop against the wall opposite the gate.  The dwarf returns there once the men seem focused on their tasks.

There are a few other carts and wagons in the courtyard, and yours soon join them.  The Midpoint seems to be efficient.


The tower's door is open, and you can hear a group of people singing inside.  Sound like there is a bar.

 


Next post: post questions here, or anything you want to add to what happened above.
Otherwise, there will soon be a few different groups, one for each of the different locations.  Everyone is in the courtyard, but you are free to move elsewhere.  Post in the appropriate group (or groups, if you are moving around).

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 09:52, Fri 17 July 2020.

Storyteller
 GM, 34 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 09:52
It begins
read this first
Urison
 player, 20 posts
Fri 17 Jul 2020
at 13:39
It begins
Urison chuckles to himself as the dwarf chides his workers.  As he hands over the reigns to the horses he whispers, "Find me later and I'll tell you all about the goblins.  I slew two myself."

Once his hands are free he grabs a coin pouch, and instinctively takes out some silver.  After thinking to himself and grimacing, he places the coins back, instead handing each laborer a copper.