It begins.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Storyteller
 GM, 5 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 11:03
It begins
You've been asked to meet the baron tomorrow morning.  If you are not in the castle, you are given a wooden token to present, and told to ask for Arben.

Let me know if there are any preparations you wish to make
Theopholis
 player, 1 post
Fri 3 Apr 2020
at 22:32
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 1):

After I've been presented with the token, I retreat to a hilly overlook outside of town. I stare back at the village, my cloak rippling dramatically behind me in the breeze. I roll the token between my fingers, hoping that this meeting with the baron is the break I had been looking for to advance my quest. I sit and enter a meditative trance, allowing me to contact my tribe's elders and update them on my progress. Tomorrow I shall see what the baron can offer me, but tonight I rest and consider my options.

The following day, I approach the castle at the appointed time and ask for Arben.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 1 post
Sat 4 Apr 2020
at 06:52
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 1):

I haven't seen those distant relatives for years, even though the castle is only a few hours from the Blackwood lands.  Certainly not since little Arby came to power.  Things are slow here, so I'm relieved at the chance for a trip anyway.  I have my servant goblin Gobby pack up some things to travel, not sure how long I should expect to be gone.  And plan to get a very early start in the morning to get there at a good time.
Storyteller
 GM, 7 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 10:58
It begins
When morning comes, you make your way up the hill to the castle.  It is old, and may have seen better days, but does seem busy.  A guard meets Bella and escorts her to Arben, who has just met Theopolis again.

Arben is a young man, about 18-20 years old.  His clothes seem barely acceptable for a nobleman, being a bit ragged, but when you meet him he is supervising the building of the new stable for the castle, so he is probably the best-dressed man on the construction site.

When he sees Bella, he breaks off his conversation with Theopolis.
"Ah, good morning cousin.  Good to see you.  Come!  we have things to discuss。“

He walks into what looks to be the main hall
Bella Blackwood
 player, 2 posts
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 18:09
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 4):

I will go in with him and see what is going on
Zarotyma
 player, 1 post
Sun 5 Apr 2020
at 20:13
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 1):

Its been a while since i have been back to this castle. Last time I was here was about 2 years ago for about 2 months helping the common folk find food as there stores had become low toward the end of winter.   Before i left, i helped one of the nobles find thier son that had wondered into the woods and gotten lost.

I have a very short hair cut, always wear my brown traveling clothes- knee-high boots, long pants, sleeve-less shirt, and long traveling coat.

I take the token and return to the castle. I dont present it right away but take a walk around the castle to see if i wish to join.. or at least see if there are a few pranks i can pull before i do
Theopholis
 player, 2 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 04:46
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 4):

I follow Arben and Bella, scanning the layout and contours of the main hall, should a quick relocation or exit be necessary.
Urison
 player, 3 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 08:35
It begins
Urison arrives at the castle in his best finery.  The clothes look like they were probably expensive at one point, but that was some time ago.  He walks straight up to the entrance, tosses the token to a guard and walks in without waiting to see the guard's response.  He drums his fingers on the pommel of his sheathed longsword as he walks, looking for the baron.
Storyteller
 GM, 8 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 11:46
It begins
Guards will do their best to steer Urison and Zarotyma towards the main hall.  When the baron sees you two, he smiles and welcomes you (assuming you aren't battling guards or something).


OOC: this is probably a good time to have you all describe your characters.  Let's do that before we go on
Zarotyma
 player, 2 posts
Mon 6 Apr 2020
at 23:34
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 9):

I am 5'8"tall, lanky but muscular. I have light hazel eyes that change color based on my surroundings and light brown hair. I have minmal belongings and always have my trusty slip-shot in my back pocket.

I didn't see much havoc to wreck in the castle grounds at this time so begrudgingly follow the guards to meet the baron.
Theopholis
 player, 3 posts
Tue 7 Apr 2020
at 04:21
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 9):

When you look at Theo, you can't help feeling a confusing disconnect. His wavy black hair appears both well kept yet disheveled. His deep brown eyes seem both disinterested yet keenly attentive. His dark gray hooded traveling cloak both draws your eye yet appears to be nothing special. One thing that definitely stands our is a distinct tattoo of interconnected rings across his temples and forehead that clearly marks him as a member of the legendary Cartersian order.

The Cartersians are a reclusive tribe of sorcerers known mostly as myth because of their secrecy and solitude. Bards' songs tell of their power to warp space and time and bend reality to suit their will. Could this man be an imposter? If so, why would he choose such an unbelievable disguise. If not, what cause would a Cartersian have to leave his mountain hideaway?
Urison
 player, 4 posts
Wed 8 Apr 2020
at 05:06
It begins
Urison has a long, elegant figure.  His black hair is too long and unkempt to be considered fashionable, but fortunately his face is still easy to rest eyes upon.  He walks confidently through the main hall, his back never less than perfectly straight.

Upon being welcomed by the baron, Urison gives a practiced bow with great finesse.  "Baron Arben," he says at the bottom of the bow before rising, making sure to give the proper deference. "Thank you for the invitation.  It is a pleasure."

This message was last edited by the player at 05:38, Wed 08 Apr 2020.

Bella Blackwood
 player, 3 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 05:50
It begins
Bella is of average height and build, about 20 years old, with long black hair.  Her clothes look very well tailored and of high quality.  She walks with confidence and seems unimpressed by the surroundings in the castle, and not particularly deferential to the baron, just friendly.  She arrived on a horse, but looking fresh and clean somehow.  She lets Gobby, her goblin take care of the horse.

Gobby then sneaks off to see if his cousins are around.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:56, Thu 09 Apr 2020.

Storyteller
 GM, 10 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 16:15
It begins
The baron greets the two new arrivals, and waves everyone to a table.

"I appreciate you coming.  I, or rather we" he gestures at Bella, “ have need of a few brave, skilled individuals.  It is my hope you three will agree to help us."

"There are many things that need doing in my domain, and I expect it will be years before my days are not filled with the tasks before me.  But I do believe there is a day when my people will find themselves prosperous and safe.  We have no lack of talent, and we will be successful.”

“We are kin to the Vraath family, though they seem to have perished.  Through them, we could claim their holdings in the Elsir Vale.  When the day comes that I may rule in leisure, I would reward my kin by awarding them Castle Vraath, and see their lands ruled wisely."

"Bella has offered to go to the castle and see what condition it is in, as well as the surrounding communities. I wish to know what they need, and ensure they will greet us as friends and their rightful lords, and not as invaders."

"What we ask, then, is that you accompany her to the castle and assist in determining whether it is worth reclaiming.  See what you may learn about the people, and return to me."

"You will, of course, be compensated for your troubles. Theopolis, if you wish to continue on from the castle, I will provide some letters which may assist you with your task."

"Will you aid us in this?"

Urison
 player, 5 posts
Thu 9 Apr 2020
at 17:42
It begins
Urison shoots a glance at Bella when the baron mentions their relation.  He then gives more appraising looks to the other two when the baron mentions he has summoned three "brave, skilled indivuals."

Urison nods as the baron finishes speaking, mulling a few things over.

"I could certainly aid you in this.  I would need a copy of a signed contract of course.  Safe delivery of Bella to the castle and back, and a daily allowance for however long she wishes to stay there inspecting the lands."

He hesitates to say something, trying to figure out how best to phrase it.  "And perhaps a down payment would help us to outfit ourselves to better protect our charge."
Theopholis
 player, 4 posts
Sat 11 Apr 2020
at 06:01
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 14):

Theopholis listens coolly, wondering how this mission will aid his quest. Then the baron mentions the letters. I don't know what letters he has that could help me complete my task, but any possible lead is worth exploring. The threads of the universe are interwoven in mysterious ways. If this is where my travels have lead me, then this mission is mine to undertake. I agree to aid the baron.
Storyteller
 GM, 12 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Tue 14 Apr 2020
at 00:09
It begins
The baron thinks for a few seconds, then nods.  "Yes, you should be able to outfit yourselves for this.  I will have someone bring you an advance on your earnings, and perhaps we can see about provisioning you.  Give me a moment."


He stands, and leaves.

A few minutes later a servant enters and counts out 25 gold for each of you except Bella



OOC:
We'll gloss over the haggling. If you agree to 2 gp a day, that is a little above average, and should add up to a nice amount, as there should be a few weeks traveling. The castle can provide any common piece of equipment (arrows, ropes, torches) though anything unusual might elicit awkward questions.  Nothing illegal, obviously.     

Urison
 player, 6 posts
Wed 15 Apr 2020
at 21:54
It begins
Urison nods.  "Yes that will be satisfactory.  I would still like to request a signed copy before we leave.  And when is that to be by the way?  Tomorrow?"

Urison follows the servant to the store rooms and take as much as he can gather: rope, torches, a tent, blankets, and -- if allowed -- water and dried food.
Storyteller
 GM, 13 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 13:56
It begins
In a fairly short time, a written copy of your agreement is drawn up.  The servant notes things that are being taken, but says nothing.  Nothing is very expensive or irreplaceable, so it seems you are allowed to help yourself.

Another servant brings a few letters to Theopolis.  They are addressed to some other nobles, and ask you be allowed passage and assistance with your quest. They may not have much power, but could be useful in getting a meeting with some of these people if necessary.

It is up to you all when you begin.  The next day should work, unless anyone else has plans that require more time
Zarotyma
 player, 3 posts
Fri 17 Apr 2020
at 20:45
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 19):

Zarityma looks around at the others and determines they seem a bit uptight and easily riled.  This adventure could be fun.

She accepts the proposal and is tired of being around everyone.  She states, to no one in particular, that she is ready to leave as soon as everyone else gets there crap together.  "I'll be waiting just outside the front gates. swing by and get me when you guys decide to head out."
Theopholis
 player, 5 posts
Sun 19 Apr 2020
at 21:22
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 19):

Tomorrow works. I update the elders, then spend some time bonding with the universe so it guides us on our journey.