It begins.   Posted by Storyteller.Group: 0
Urison
 player, 7 posts
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 04:39
It begins
Urison shows up the next day wearing traveler's garb and carrying plenty of supplies.
Storyteller
 GM, 14 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 20 Apr 2020
at 12:32
It begins
The next morning you gather at the castle.  Arben meets you briefly, wishing you luck and making sure his aides have been cooperative.  If everyone is satisfied, he takes his leave, turning you over to his aides.  One of them tells you there are a few carts of lumber heading east, and that the drivers have been told to take you part way to the lake.

The first week or so of travel are fairly uneventful.  When you reach the lake, you take the ferry across to one of the fishing villages on the far side.  That is the last time you are able to stay in an inn, as there are a few days of following the rarely used paths until you reach the Thorn Road.

The Thorn Road leads to Elsir Vale. It is wide enough that two fully laden wagons can pass with no trouble, but it is rare you see any other travelers.  It is early spring, so most are working on their farms, but it still seems that few wish to live near the foothills.  Peasants tell tales of wolves, bears, and goblins (Gobby gets some hard looks), and most seem to be thinking of moving elsewhere.

The road takes you through the edge of the hills, and all traces of human habitation disappear.  The Thornwaste is known to most of you as a wasteland holding nothing but dangerous animals and outcasts.  Unless you're fools, you'll be keeping watch for bandits.

Yesterday evening, you finally heard the roar of the Elsir River and were able to make camp near it last night.  In another day or so, you should be inside the Vale, not too far from the castle.

More stuff in the OOC thread
Storyteller
 GM, 16 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 15:23
It begins
As you begin to get ready for another day of travel, you can hear some shouts in the distance.  They don't sound very clear, but it sounds like some men yelling, and a wolf or dog howling.  It is probably further down the road. There are enough trees that you can't see anything
Urison
 player, 9 posts
Fri 24 Apr 2020
at 23:31
It begins
"We should go check that out.  It's possible some peasants need our help."  Urison says to the party before turning to the baron's men and saying, "I suggest we stop the wagon for now, so we don't get separated."

Urison begins walking towards the noise.
Storyteller
 GM, 17 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 09:51
It begins
Urison (and any who join him) don't have to go long before the sounds of fighting become much clearer.  You can hear the sounds of weapons striking and the snarling of something (maybe big dogs).  Whatever is happening, it is not too far away.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 5 posts
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 14:49
It begins
I approach with the group, although I am on horse.  As the sounds of fighting become clearer, I pick up the pace until I get close enough to see what is going on.

Gobby hides and watches, sneaking closer for a better view.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:33, Tue 28 Apr 2020.

Urison
 player, 10 posts
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 14:56
It begins
Urison draws his longsword and cautiously walks towards the sound.
Theopholis
 player, 7 posts
Tue 28 Apr 2020
at 20:52
It begins
In reply to Urison (msg # 28):

I draw my dagger and stay near the back of the advancing party. If we're going over a hill or around a corner to meet the battlers, I hold at a point where I can see both the wagons and the scuffle and keep my eyes on both.
Storyteller
 GM, 18 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 14:23
It begins
Bella goes on a bit ahead, still on her horse.  Through the trees, she can see a group of goblins, who have some people backed up near a wagon.  These goblins are not the firendly servant type.  They are dressed in furs, and carrying assorted spears and swords.

The people near the wagon (probably three, but tough to see clearly) seem to be trying to keep back the goblins.  They are outnumbered about 2 or 3 to 1.

Seems no one has seen Bella.


Urison, you can still see Bella, and can hear the fighting better than before, but can't really see anything yet.

Theopolis, the wagons aren't moving.  You'll be out of sight of the wagonsor Bella shortly.
Urison
 player, 11 posts
Wed 29 Apr 2020
at 14:52
It begins
Urison runs around the wagon, opposite the people, hoping to flank the goblins.  Once there he lunges at the nearest goblin, hoping to take them by surprise.
Theopholis
 player, 8 posts
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 00:24
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 30):

Zarityma hasn't said she advanced, so I assume she's guarding the wagons. That or we left her outside the town wall. I note how far away the wagons are and then hurry to catch up to Urison. I approach the fray at a jog, but if the people seem in imminent peril, I will "get there" much faster.
Bella Blackwood
 player, 6 posts
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 00:44
It begins
Once I see what's going on I quietly tell everyone advancing behind me "Its a goblin attack!  They don't see us, let's surprise them". While Urison and Theo approach them, I stay at a distance and plan to attack one most menacing to one of the people with a spell at the same time as they attack so we can share the element of surprise.

Gobby is still sneaking closer to get a better looks, but he should come tell me if he notices any other goblins hiding out in the trees or any traps they have set we should know about.
Zarotyma
 player, 5 posts
Thu 30 Apr 2020
at 02:04
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 30):

Tyma looks around and hears what everyone is saying about the group in front of them that needs help.  She wants to lend a hand but knows that she doesnt have much in the way of fighting skills; although she is deadly accurate with her sling shot.

She gets out a handful of stones ready to aim at the goblins, should the opportunity arrise, to at least distract and annoy the Goblins.

Tyma calls to a bird to fly and see if there are any big animals around (i.e., wolf or bear) that she might be able to convince to help attack the goblins.  She does notice some squirrels around  and promises them her stash of  nuts and dried berries if they storm the gobblins and bite at their feet or scurry up the gobblins' legs and poke at their eyes.
Storyteller
 GM, 19 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 1 May 2020
at 14:03
It begins
Things could possibly go better.

As Urison runs around to attack from the other side, one of the goblins sees him and throws a spear at him.  It misses, but the spearthrower takes out a meat cleaver and advances, along with another spear-armed goblin.  They are about 10 feet away.

Bella, you aren't sure exactly what happened, but Theopolis is suddenly next to you.  He was quick!  You two can see the goblins are aware of Urison.

Tyma hears from the birds that there are wolves, and this is upsetting to the squirrels. They think of leaving, but are intrigued by the promise of nuts.  The group of squirrels runs off to attack.
Urison
 player, 12 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 14:36
It begins
Seeing that he won't be surprising the goblins, Urison stops advancing.  He instead backs behind the corner of the wagon, planning to cut one of the pursuing goblins down as it rounds the corner.
Theopholis
 player, 9 posts
Fri 1 May 2020
at 20:15
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 35):

Now that I'm closer, how many goblins do I see? Are they all advancing on Urison? Does one of them appear to be the leader?
Storyteller
 GM, 20 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Sat 2 May 2020
at 15:55
It begins
In reply to Theopholis (msg # 37):

A quick count puts them at 6, with two pursuing Urison.  The other four are still going after whoever is pinned against the wagon
Zarotyma
 player, 6 posts
Sat 2 May 2020
at 16:50
It begins
Tyma howls to the wolves, promissing them all the goblin meat they want from the kill if they help assist with the fight.

Then i start pelting the goblins with the stones and my slingshot - aiming for thier eyes and unmentionable - hoping to draw them away from the common people at the wagons. From what she can remember, goblins are easily distracted especially if you are annoying enough to them.

I aslo mimic the sound of a large bear - hoping that would make the goblins nervous.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:56, Wed 13 May 2020.

Theopholis
 player, 10 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 00:55
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 38):

Since none appear to be the clear leader, I teleport in behind the ones going for the civilians and stab one quickly in a tender location that will make him howl in pain and grab the attention of the other goblins. Then as the others are turning to look, I take one quick step around to the other side of the group and stab another one. I then slide backwards 20 feet out of melee range and reassess.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:56, Sun 03 May 2020.

Storyteller
 GM, 21 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Mon 4 May 2020
at 13:33
It begins
Urison changes direction and runs behind the wagon.  One goblin charges after him, shouting gleefully until he is skewered as he rounds the corner.  The other one was a bit more cautious, and draws up short.  He snarls and calls to the others for help.

The other goblins are startled as Theopolis appears behind one of their number, and stabs him from behind.  TWo whirl to face this new threat, and one of them is hit in the head by a rock.  He staggers,shaking his head, but recovers his balance.

There is an animal call from where you came from.


Theopolis can now see that there are two people with their backs to the wagon.  neither one is wearing armor, though each holds a short sowrd.  One is holding his chest and seems bloodied.  The other looks ok, though in a near panic as his eyes dart from goblin to goblin
Bella Blackwood
 player, 7 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 03:43
It begins
I send a lightning bolt to hit one of the ones that have not yet been attacked.
Urison
 player, 13 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 10:40
It begins
Urison leaps over the goblin he just killed and charges the other goblin.
Storyteller
 GM, 22 posts
 I am Bill
 I tell stories
Fri 8 May 2020
at 13:36
It begins
Urison charges at his foe.  The goblin attempts to spear him, but it is easy to knock the spear aside and run him through.

One of the goblins throws his spear into Theopolis, hitting him in the shoulder.  The goblin is almost immediately blasted by a bolt of lightning from Bella, which knocks him flat.

The remaining goblins scatter, running into the woods.


There are two men with their backs against the wagon.  One is holding a sword and watching you all nervously.  The other has a hatchet and is holding on to the side of the wagon, trying to stay on his feet.  His clothes are covered in blood
Urison
 player, 14 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 15:27
It begins
Urison peeks around the wagon corner in time to see a goblin blasted by lightning and the rest break.

He walks up to the two men.  "Where are you injured?" he says to the one covered in blood.
Theopholis
 player, 11 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 21:40
It begins
In reply to Storyteller (msg # 44):

Theo grunts as the spear hits him and instinctively flashes up the road away from the attack. He pulls the spear free and readies himself for another attack, but he relaxes when he sees the assailants flee in the opposite direction.

Theo checks his wound and chides himself. "Idiot. This is why you shouldn't pretend to be a warrior." Then he studies the goblin spear and reconsiders. Perhaps he was meant to have this spear. Perhaps this wound was the universe's way of bringing it to him. Theo decides to keep the spear in the hopes that it can help him later on with his quest. He then cleans and bandages his wound.