Leaving Sol Behind.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
The GM
 GM, 22 posts
Sun 3 May 2020
at 15:00
Storage Bay 509
Spot check: no one or nothing is noticed hiding, but if there were, Cameron sees a perfect ambush spot on his left. In addition, you notice that there are a few blind spots that the cameras cannot see.


The room appears to be empty at this time. As both officers patrol the storage room, there are rows of pallets containing black plastic or metal crates, each labeled with what is stored within. As with most rooms in the ship, the walls and floors are smooth and featureless.
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 7 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Sun 3 May 2020
at 16:31
Storage Bay 509
After the room is cleared, Duke begins looking around more. Looking at the crates and see what they are labeled as. Also, the position of the camera and what he recalls seeing.

He pulls out his small tablet and looks up the bay on the map/manifest. "This is apparently an engineering warehouse. Spare parts. Pretty much everything on the ship has one or two spares on the ship."


10:09, Today: Duke Kinsington rolled 20 using 1d20.  Search +0.
10:09, Today: Duke Kinsington rolled 15 using 1d20+5.  Investigate +5.
Cameron Smythe
 player, 4 posts
Mon 4 May 2020
at 21:03
Storage Bay 509
In reply to The GM (msg # 14):

"Then we scan the whole place, we got time...

Take 20 to scan the entire warehouse, takes as long as it takes

20+10 is 30...
The GM
 GM, 23 posts
Tue 5 May 2020
at 18:34
Storage Bay 509
Investigate : No clues found

Search: Generally, the crates seem to be in line with what they are supposed to be. However, Cameron does discover what appears to be a door discreetly in a wall. If he hadn't been so close, he wouldn't have noticed the light just barely reflecting of the seam. Though there does not appear to be any buttons, access panels, or writing around to indicate how to open it.
Cameron Smythe
 player, 5 posts
Wed 6 May 2020
at 08:12
Storage Bay 509
In reply to The GM (msg # 17):

Cameron pulls out his sword to see if he can wedge it between the opening and force it closed..
The GM
 GM, 24 posts
Wed 6 May 2020
at 13:58
Storage Bay 509
Unfortunately, the blade cannot seem to gain purchase in the door. And the material of the walls are nearly impenetrable. During the retrofitting of the ship, that was a large obstacle, being unable to modify to suit the needs of crew and agency. The majority of the retrofit was added on to what was already there.
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 8 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Wed 6 May 2020
at 14:07
Storage Bay 509
While Cameron was using his sword to pry the door open, Duke is on his computer.

"Hmm, lemme see..."
He types and swipes for a few minutes. "I can't find any of our systems that connect to this door. This door isn't even on the layout. Back in the office and with more time I may be able to access it, but I'm not feeling confident about it."
Cameron Smythe
 player, 6 posts
Thu 7 May 2020
at 06:07
Storage Bay 509
In reply to Duke Kinsington (msg # 20):

Finally Cam gets pissed and in a menacing whisper  at the  door to . "I am head of fucking security Cameron Smythe, fucking open..!"
The GM
 GM, 25 posts
Thu 7 May 2020
at 13:37
Storage Bay 509
The door is grudgingly immobile.
Cameron Smythe
 player, 7 posts
Sat 9 May 2020
at 06:04
Storage Bay 509
In reply to The GM (msg # 22):

Then lets get back to the office, and lets hide this door so no one can get to it  until we figure out what the hell it is.., oh yeah, and you shoula been able to make it here in a minute.. "
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 9 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Sat 9 May 2020
at 20:08
Storage Bay 509
"Er.. You're probably right, chief." His head hangs a little, bashfully. "Dammit this place is making me soft"

Duke smiles slyly, "You know what, I bet you could convince the Ward Master into instituting mandatory PT for the entire crew! Heh heh heh..."

Duke sends a message to the bridge crew, informing them of their findings and actions they are taking. When finished, he grabs a jack and begins moving a few of the pallets to block the hidden door.
The GM
 GM, 26 posts
Sat 9 May 2020
at 20:14
In the corridors
After the door has been covered, both men leave the bay. After a few moments of strolling the corridors, something catches their eyes. While passing through a junction, to their left there is intermittent flashing of light from deep in down that corridor.
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 10 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Sat 9 May 2020
at 20:16
In the corridors
"What in the hells..." Duke begins looking for the closest camera on his tablet. "Chief, that's gotta be what we were looking for."
Cameron Smythe
 player, 8 posts
Mon 18 May 2020
at 07:19
In the corridors
In reply to Duke Kinsington (msg # 26

"Lets go be some door kickers,  im in front, lets rock...."    Cameron moves forward, his Laser shottie at the ready...
The GM
 GM, 27 posts
Tue 19 May 2020
at 15:38
In the corridors
From the distance, the light gets brighter and brighter. The team rounds a corner and their eyes fall upon the most unusual thing they have yet seen.

There, floating about half a meter off the ground, hovers something that looks like two three-sided narrow pyramids connected by a sphere in the center, about one and a half to two meters tall. Three triple-digited arms extend from it's core.

One of the Thing's arms is accessing a panel in the wall, while it's core flashes intermittently. It pays you both no noticeable attention. As you approach it, it simply continues it's task.






Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
GM Note: The Thing is much less menacing than this picture implies

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:05, Tue 19 May 2020.

Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 11 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Tue 19 May 2020
at 16:02
The Thing from the Walls
When Duke came around the corner, his pistol was perfectly on target. As confusion creeps in, his arm begins to slump.

"The Fucks...?"

His brain tries to wrap itself around what is in front of him. Some degree of hovering/contra-grav is possible, but there would have to be a clear source from here it comes, such as a backpack or bottom-mounted platform. This thing seems to be far too small for that kind of technology.

Beyond that, there is nothing that can think of, biological or mechanical, that looks or functions like that. He cannot get his head onto how that thing is even in front of them.

"What is..." His eyes shoot to you, waiting for orders.




10:46, Today: Duke Kinsington rolled 18 using 1d20+4.  Knowledge: Physical Sciences +4.
10:45, Today: Duke Kinsington rolled 10 using 1d20+8.  Knowledge: Life Sciences +8.
Cameron Smythe
 player, 9 posts
Tue 19 May 2020
at 19:47
The Thing from the Walls
In reply to Duke Kinsington (msg # 29):

Smythe walks over to it, hes to dumb to be scared, "Cover me " is all he says as he approaches it and says.. "Identify yourself."
The GM
 GM, 28 posts
Tue 19 May 2020
at 21:55
The Thing from the Walls
The Thing continues what it is doing for a few seconds then panel closes as it removes it's arm.

There appears to be no clear front as it moves and rotates. As it hovers as it's core blinks and flashes.

It is indifferent as you approach.

The Thing begins to drift away further down the hall, ignoring your order to identify itself.

There has been no sign of hostility thus far.

It pauses by a door to another cargo bay. There are some scuffs on the wall where a forklift ran into it yesterday, but did not actually damage the wall.

With it's arm extended over the slight damage, it's core flashes more and sparks fly like a spot welder. It retracts it's arm and the mar is gone, like it was never there.

It pauses, flashes more, and moves on down the corridor.
Cameron Smythe
 player, 10 posts
Wed 20 May 2020
at 00:43
The Thing from the Walls
In reply to The GM (msg # 31):

"I think its part of the repair of the ship, like its supposed to fix shit.. else it woulda zinged me or something.."
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 12 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Wed 20 May 2020
at 14:49
The Thing from the Walls
"Um.. I don't remember that being in the briefing." He has calmed down some and is starting to think more clearly. Gun still in his right hand, he pulls out his tablet with his left and takes a quick picture of the Drone.

"I don't even know what to do at this point. It's not hurting anything, but I'd rather it not run around and mess with the crew. But, if it hasn't yet, it probably OK.

"Ooh, just a thought... Do you think it's gonna want to go back to that door we just blocked off? Shit, this is weird. I'm going ahead and logging this and geo-tagging.

"Do you think we should follow follow it? At the very least, we should probably make sure no one fucks with it."

Cameron Smythe
 player, 11 posts
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 03:00
The Thing from the Walls
In reply to Duke Kinsington (msg # 33):

I say we tell the captain about it.  then we put a little beeepie thing on it... and task a few guys to watch it do its thing all day and map its route.."
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 13 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 16:52
The Thing from the Walls
"Roger that. I'll tag someone to follow it around until we get a locator on it. I'm sure someone in engineering can whip up something that can keep coordinates on it. I'll set up something in our office where we can keep track of it... her. And she looks like a Crystal. Her name is Crystal now.

He strolls with her as she drifts through the corridors, typing on his tablet, talking to a few people over comms.

"Cam, why don't you go back. I'll stick with her until Bailey gets here. He'll get her tagged and all set up. He said they have something that can adhere pretty well to the walls in here, without damaging them. He guesses it will work. If not, then we'll figure out something else."
The GM
 GM, 29 posts
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 18:11
The Thing from the Walls
//OFF CAMERA//


After Cameron is gone, Duke is typing his reports on his portable and Crystal pauses. It idles for a few moments, but Duke doesn't notice, his head down, typing.

He also doesn't completely notice when Crystal points two of her arms at Duke and quickly bathes him in a soft light.

She then carries on her duty and hovers away...

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:12, Mon 01 June 2020.

The GM
 GM, 30 posts
Mon 1 Jun 2020
at 21:01
Prepping for D-Jump
30 July 2132

At T minus 24 hours before making the W-Jump, the HSWT (Hawking-Selassie Wave Transit) Drive begins powering up. Whereas, you cannot hear the drive running, you can feel the energy surrounding it.

Sometimes, the lights are a little dimmer, distances feel a little longer to walk, or sometimes shorter. Your reflections are sometimes just every so slightly distorted. There is nothing you can put your finger onto, but things just feel... off.

This leg of the journey should take 8.5 to 9 months, but the target is 8 months and 24 days. At such a distance and with the limited comprehension of the travel method, it's hard to drill down precisely.

The chatter around the crew has been of stress and uncertainty. No one alive has made this trip before, so what should they expect?

Everything is secured and battened down. For the jump, all non-essential personnel are to be in their quarters. Partly for security, partly so they can take the time to experience it. But mostly for security, as far as the command is concerned.

Since the science behind what is happening is mostly theoretical, here are some of the preeminent theories:
  • The drive is able to produce enough energy to move at faster-than-light speeds and the known laws of physics no longer apply to it.
  • The Perse draws energy from another dimension to power it, then produces FTL speeds.
  • The vessel exits this dimension and enters another where the distance is shorter, then exits at the
  • destination.
  • The Perse crosses into another dimension partially, so it out of phase with both our and another dimension.


There are, of course, many other theories with varying levels of scientific grounding. Some are very reasonable and sound, some are on par with lizard-men and Illuminati.

//OOC: anything to add before we move on?
Cameron Smythe
 player, 12 posts
Tue 2 Jun 2020
at 07:08
Prepping for D-Jump
In reply to The GM (msg # 37):

Smythe grabs his partner and they stay up the whole jump, they watch it all, like their arent supposed to, to see what they can see