Breaching the Void.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
The GM
 GM, 31 posts
Tue 2 Jun 2020
at 16:56
Breaching the Void
31 July 2132


Commander Ortiz announces hourly countdown notices as the time approaches. Crew bustles around to triple and quadruple check that they are ready for go.

At T minus one hour all personnel are required to be in their quarters. Cameron and Duke are exceptions, due to their positions. They can stay in the security office and watch the monitors for the bridge and outside. There are few cams pointed outside the vessel and security has unrestricted access to them.

The typically taciturn captain gives a short monologue, thanking the crew and personnel for their hard work and commitment. This promises to be "one helluva ride."

The last hour receives five minute notices, then the last ten minutes are minutely, then live countdown from sixty seconds.

In the moments before the W-Jump, the energy amasses to the needed critical level. The air appears to thicken, pressure building up around you. Your ears feel like they need to pop, but the pop just never happens.



T - 00:00:05
.
T - 00:00:04
.
.
T - 00:00:03
.
.
.
T - 00:00:02
.
.
.
.
T - 00:00:01
.
.
.
.
.
T - 00:00:00


The GM
 GM, 32 posts
Tue 2 Jun 2020
at 18:33
Breaching the Void
From your station you can see and hear what is happening on the bridge. Everything appears to be business as normal, they have trained for this moment for several years. You can see a little stress breaking through some of their facades, but no more than would be expected for doing something for literally the first time ever.

From behind, Sol is a large bright star blazing in the short distance. Earth is imperceptible, but you can all feel its presence pulling at your collective heartstrings. It will be some time before any of you will see the brilliant blue dot again.

At the moment of the drive engagement, there is not a gradual increase in speed, like a car leaving a traffic light. The image on the monitors turns from specks of light on a black canvas, to a warm bright glow in the direction of travel. From behind, the stars are gone, nothing but a black background.

After three hours of travel, the All-Clear is announced and sequestration is lifted.
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 14 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Tue 2 Jun 2020
at 20:20
Breaching the Void
"Well then, I'm bored now. That was fun for a few seconds..." he unbuckles his harness, stands up and stretches. "I'm gonna go on a quick patrol, wanna come with?"
Cameron Smythe
 player, 13 posts
Wed 3 Jun 2020
at 04:54
Breaching the Void
In reply to Duke Kinsington (msg # 3):

"Hell yeah.."  he grabs a food package...just in case.."

He arms up like before and says, you lead the way.."
The GM
 GM, 33 posts
Wed 3 Jun 2020
at 15:46
Breaching the Void
In the past few hours, most people have more or less acclimated to the "Distortion". Many of the scientists are already writing about it, trowing out their hypotheses, already collaborating on what could have happened. Since this was previously an uncrewed operation, this is an entirely new detail.

However, even though the visual distortions have pretty much cleared up for you, there is a still a feeling on unease in the back of your head.

This is a familiar feeling to Cameron. Something a mediocre writer would tritely call "a Calm Before a Storm".
Duke Kinsington
 NPC, 15 posts
 Fast/Smart
 Gunslinger
Wed 3 Jun 2020
at 19:02
Breaching the Void
Duke and Cameron are strolling Deck 8-C. Most of Deck 8 is Level 3 security, so there are seldom people down there, but it just felt like a good place to be today.

The areas you  are strolling to feel familiar. Cameron is pretty sure this is around the weapons cache he stumbled upon on his first day of full duty. Normally he could remember details like this quite well, but it feels more like a distant memory. As though he has had his sword forever.

Duke is munching on a soft granola bar, he knows Cam hates the when he eats the loud crunchy ones."You know, this is the FUTURE, right? You would think raisins would taste like... I dunno, something other than raisins..."

As you keep walking in relative silence, Duke keeps pulling up maps on his handheld and looking around. "Have I been down here before? I don't see it on my logs, but I'd swear to Yahweh I've been here before. Heh, all this shit looks alike anyway. Oh, one sec." He stops and stares at some of the alien writing on the wall beside a door. He snaps a photo of it with the tablet and pulls out a paper journal and pencil.

"I've been keeping a log of all these that I find. Trying to figure out the language, but I just don't see a lot of it around. Certainly not as much as one would think. Hey, look at that, is that Crystal all the way down there? Let's see what she's up to."

You approach, "She's not beeping. That must not be Crystal." He opens the mapping on his tablet. "Yep, Crystal is up on Deck 5. There's more of them, apparently. Makes sense. Big ship."

When you are closer to it, it begins to hover away. When you appear to stop or get too far away, it stops and waits. "Er, let's follow her I guess. Looks like she's trying to lead us."

Cameron just knows he's been here before. And that drone is starting to look more familiar...