IC.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 15 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 11:28
IC
Three days out from Altdorf, one day from Weissbruck. Last night you spent a comfortable night in the small fortified town of Bruckthin, but you don't have that privilege tonight. According to the coachman there is a small coaching inn, the Hooded Man, not far ahead at the point where the road meets the ferry for the road to Kalegan.

It's been a quiet journey so far. The autumn weather has held and the coach, along with it's cavalryman escort, has made good time. Unfortunately that appears to be about to change. The storm clouds have been building up to the west all afternoon and the smell of rain and stormy weather fill your nostrils long before the winds start to rise.

[OOC] You have a few minutes to introduce your characters or converse before I move on.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:44, Tue 12 May 2020.

Filibert Heinig
 player, 5 posts
Fri 8 May 2020
at 13:28
IC
Bert sat in the saddle straight-backed and alert. The wind was picking up , and he repeatedly was having to brush his hair out of his eyes. That might be why his sergeant kept suggesting he get it cut. A noise to his left drew his attention, his breath catching in his throat while he hand fell to his hilt for the 1000th time. He slowly let it out at the sight of a scampering rabbit.

He still didn't understand why he'd be given this assignment, but by Sigmar he was he eager to do it well. As the escort he'd taken the lead position, occasionally dropping behind the coach to check the rear but always staying with eye sight of the vehicle. He was grateful that so far the trip had been simple. Not just simple, but luxurious! He had been staying in inn on this trip, compared to the bivouacs he'd taken part in during the extended overland rides he'd gone on during his training. The people he was escorting seemed nice, and Filibert had taken a liking to them.

As the clouds gathered before them he fell back along side the vehicle and called up to the coachman. "I was hopin them clouds would stay west but it seems our luck ain't holdin." He said, sighing and running a hand through his hair. "We're goin to get wet, and visibility is goin to be piss poor." he said with another loud sigh. A poor trait for a scout, but Bert didn't like getting wet. "I'll not be rangin as far forward or back to keep you in sight."

"If you could ask of Ranald, Sister," the scout called into the Coach. "I'd prefer not bein soaked in the saddle for the rest of the ride. Maybe he can break up the clouds 'cause Sigmar seems to want me wet."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:35, Mon 11 May 2020.

Valdred Kint
 player, 6 posts
Sat 9 May 2020
at 06:38
IC
Valdred chuckled just loud enough to carry over the creaking of the coach and occasional whicker or whinny of horses; as much amused by his own instincts to what Ranald might or might not do, as he was the idea that the caprice of wind and cloud bearing down might signal the gods were caring or attentive to common hardships on this day more than another. Slouched as comfortably as one could against hardwood seating under brooding weather, the thief swayed in time with the uneven rutts of the road, leathers loosened and skullcap drawn down. He didn't expect any bandit or beast in but the most brazen ambush to expose itself before attacking, so why shouldn't he rest his eyes, prick his ears, and savour the thought of last night's comfortable pillows while the opportunity was there? A few reasons popped unbidden into his thoughts, despite a stalwart effort against.

"Like my dad says - if the gods wanted you wet, Fili, they'd throw a bucket sideways to be certain. Rain falls when you think it good luck or bad, and nothing and no-one'll be so patient, waiting through the rain to bother with odd moods. Except the next innkeep. Bet you a shiny penny."

Slapping his cheeks to perk up, Valdred took in their surroundings and fastened his armour straps.
Erika Kleiber
 player, 4 posts
Sat 9 May 2020
at 21:44
IC
Erika was not used to coaches. This was the first time she'd ever actually left Altdorf and for the first few hours it had been exciting. That initial thrill had long worn off and she could feel herself chafing to be out on her own. Being in a coach surrendered so much control to others.

On the other hand as she caught the first scent of rain there were advantages to being dry.

As Fili's words reached her Erika laughed, and risking a moment's exposure to wind she looked out at her escort and smiled. 'I think the rain belongs to Taal but I'll try Fili. Try and think dry thoughts.'
Heinrich Stark
 player, 8 posts
Sat 9 May 2020
at 22:15
IC
Heinrich was thankful he had been able to scrounge up enough coin to be able to afford a carriage ride as the trip to Weissbruck promised to be a very long walk otherwise.  There were several other people who had also boarded the carriage before it left Altdorf and while he kept to himself and his thoughts for a significant portion of it, he had mentioned his mission to the others and was glad there were others along for the conversation.  With the inn last night was now no more than a distant, pleasant memory as the sky clouded over and promised rain he just hoped the carriage made it to tonight's destination before it hit.

"So, rain." he comments to the others in his carriage, "I hope it doesn't delay us too much."  There were times he wished he carried something more dangerous than his dagger.  Surely he wouldn't have to use it, right?
Filibert Heinig
 player, 6 posts
Mon 11 May 2020
at 13:22
Re: IC
Erika Kleiber:
'I think the rain belongs to Taal but I'll try Fili. Try and think dry thoughts.'


"Da said they can all get you what you're needin if you phrase it right." The scout said, suddenly standing in his stirrups to stare at something further down the path with a scrunched up face before relaxing and plopping back down in his saddle. "For Sigmar I ask for his protections in keepin me safe with best conditions for protectin the Empire's Citizens. For Randald, I'd pray my luck holds so I wouldn't get wet. True Taal might hold the rains but they all get a slice of that pie. That's how da saw it at least." He pulled an apple, his last, and rubbed it on a sleeve before taking a bite.

To Kint he said. "Sure, sure the gods got their reasons. I'm sure somewhere theres a farmer prayin for rain a lot harder than I'm prayin for it not to. And feedin the empire keeps a lot more people safe than keepin me dry does... so I get it." he said between crunches.

"I'll do my best to get us there quick Herr Stark. It's not my intention to stay out in these wilds any longer than necessary."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:36, Mon 11 May 2020.

Erika Kleiber
 player, 6 posts
Tue 12 May 2020
at 14:10
Re: IC
'Wise words to live by Fili,' Erika said, then turned back to the other occupant of the carriage, obviously considering Heinrich's remark.

'I'm not someone who likes the wilds. I'm a city girl, Altdorf born and bred.'
Heinrich Stark
 player, 9 posts
Tue 12 May 2020
at 17:15
Re: IC
"I too have lived in a city for most of my life." Heinrich responds to Erika, "This is my first real excursion from the relative safety of a city.  At least there you have good idea where the dangerous parts are to more easily avoid them."

As for the rest, he pays polite attention to the discussion regarding the gods but his only real contribution to that discussion is the line, "I give token acknowledgment to their existence when appropriate but prefer to rely on my own ability."

And to Ser Heinig, "I do appreciate that.  I will feel more at ease surrounded by four stout walls, a roaring fire, and a hot meal."

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:59, Wed 13 May 2020.

GM
 GM, 16 posts
Tue 12 May 2020
at 17:37
Re: IC
The dark, roiling clouds continue to gather overhead as you converse. The rain has started to fall in torrents, seeping into every crack and crevice of those who outside the comfort of the coach and soaking you to the skin. Not that it's much more comfortable inside the coach, the wind is now buffeting the vehicle causing it to sway alarming side to side with each gust. The cursing voice of the coachman, struggling in the rain to control the swaying coach reaches your ears when overhead the storm breaks with lightning tearing across the sky, quickly followed by a loud, booming crack of thunder.

At the sound the horses panic, cursing even louder the coachman pulls at the reins, trying desperately to keep the horses from bolting. As he does so the coach tilts precariously for a second before landing back down on four wheels but the stresses of the combined forces acting on it cause the traces on the lead horse to snap.

[OOC] Filibert needs to make an Average (+20) Ride test to control his horse. For the rest of you the coach appears to be stable but the coachman is fighting to retain control and the horses are in danger of bolting. What do you want to do.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:44, Tue 12 May 2020.

Filibert Heinig
 player, 8 posts
Tue 12 May 2020
at 17:57
Re: IC
Filibert squeezed with the thighs as the horse's front hooves rose into air, startled by the crack of thunder. He'd been trained on what do with a frightened horse, and step one was to not get thrown. He held on until all four hooves were back on the ground before working to calm the horse. At the same time, he attempted to maneuver the animal in front of the coach, blocking the easiest escape path of the coach horses.



12:53, Today: Filibert Heinig rolled 48 using 1d100.  Ride TN 60 .
Valdred Kint
 player, 7 posts
Wed 13 May 2020
at 05:46
Re: IC
One hand out of the coach to get a more direct feel for the weather, Valdred steadied himself inside the coach each time the wind jostled its' contents, and sat down right quick when his view of the darkening sky tilted surprisingly before slamming back to the ground. The thought of being left walking any distance to a town or village spurred him forward almost as much as the possibility of losing a bet.

Looking to Heinrich and Erika, he grinned almost reassuringly while shuffling towards the coachman's box, "Sure it's nothing for city folk to concern with, but still ... Might go see what Brother Whip is up to."
GM
 GM, 18 posts
Wed 13 May 2020
at 07:31
Re: IC
Filibert expertly controls his frightening mount, maintaining his seat like the practiced horseman you would expect him to be. He maneuvers his horse into the path of the coach horses, but is unable to get in a position from which he'd be able to get complete control of them.

As the coach settles back onto it's wheels Valdred pulls the heavy curtain away from the open window to the door and opening the door slightly, sticks his head out and looks up and left to the roof of the coach where the coachman continues to struggle with the reins. To Valdred's left there is a step that he could be use to pull himself onto the coachman's box but with the coach moving and rolling it's not an easy maneuver.

Looking forward to where the wild-eyed horses are pulling frantically against their harnesses Valdred sees the remains of the traces barely connecting the front horse of the four to the shaft. It looks like a strong tug would cause the horse to break loose.

[OOC] The coach you are travelling in is very much like a stagecoach. The interior seats 4 people with luggage lashed to the roof. A coachman's box sits at the front of the coach and it is pulled by a team of 4 horses. Valdred if you wish to try to get up to the coachman's box I'll need a dramatic Athletics test (Challenging +0).
Valdred Kint
 player, 9 posts
Wed 13 May 2020
at 16:43
Re: IC
Valdred braced himself for the inevitability of rain and getting soaked through before clambering outside. Much easier to speak of someone else's misery from dry shelter, and he checked to the fore of the coach for any buckets - tethered or incoming. Turning to look back, he closed the door behind him with only a quick thumbs up before continuing along the side of the coach. Appeal to Ranald was lost in the storm, mostly fudged and half-forgotten prayers for stability and grip from a barrelling stagecoach, with a few sworn oaths each time he slipped and caught himself.

"Thought a second pair of hands might come in ... uhh, handy," he offered, after seating himself besides the beleaguered coachman.

Athletics: 2 SL (+1 36v40, +1 Fortune)
Heinrich Stark
 player, 11 posts
Wed 13 May 2020
at 19:02
Re: IC
Heinrich looks about frantically for a handle of some sort, any sort, to hold on to for a measure of stability in the sudden upheaval.  He will also return the thumbs up to Valdred in a 'good luck, you're going to need it' manner.
Erika Kleiber
 player, 7 posts
Fri 15 May 2020
at 13:16
Re: IC
'What the...?' Erika blinked as the coach shuddered around her. Even as Valdred started his climb she began whispering a prayer to Ranald to grant them all a little much needed good fortune!



OOC: 14:15, Today: Erika Kleiber rolled 8 -- 3 degrees of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 44.  Blessing of Fortune on Valdred!
Filibert Heinig
 player, 10 posts
Fri 15 May 2020
at 14:59
Re: IC
Filibert, having kept control of his own horse, dropped the reins and reached his hands out to bridles of the two lead horses, speaking in a low sing song voice he used to sooth the horses in the stables of his youth. He kept his temperament as calm as he could hoping that it would rub off on the animals, despite the storm around them.



09:58, Today: Filibert Heinig rolled 10 -- 2 degrees of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 36.  Fortune Reroll .

09:53, Today: Filibert Heinig rolled 94 -- 5 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 36.  Charm Animal.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:14, Fri 15 May 2020.

GM
 GM, 22 posts
Mon 18 May 2020
at 07:17
Re: IC
Ranald hears Erika's whispered blessing and Valdred feels the favour of his god upon him. Heartened he reaches for the box and pulls himself up next to the coachman.

Up ahead Filibert urges his horse close to the horses pulling the carriage and puts a hand across on their bridle to in an effort to bring them back under control. He leans in close and starts to speak to the horses and his ministrations appear to be having some effect as the wild look in the eyes of the horses disappears.

On top of the coach the coachman grunts as Valdred offers his help and shares the reins with him. "Together now," he commands and with a sharp cry he and Valdred pull back on the reins.

[OOC] Erika's prayer can either last 12 turns on Valdred or she can extend the prayer to cover  Valdred and either herself or Heinrich in the carriage. Let me know which way you want to do it. Blessing of fortune allows for a free reroll of a failed test within the next 6 turns. Result of the reroll must be taken.

As Valdred has no advances in the Drive skill the coachman will assist Valdred in a Simple Drive Test (Average +20). The test difficulty of Average reflects the solid job Filibert has done in calming the horses. So Valdred must make a Simple Drive Test with a total bonus of +30 (+10 Assistance, +20 Average Difficulty) with a free reroll thanks to the blessing if necessary.


As Filibert and Valdred turn their efforts to stopping the horses and helping the coachman regain control of the coach the rest of you hear a strangled baying sound from the woods behind you starting to rise above the thunder that rumbles across the sky. Peering through the sheeting rain you can't make anything out yet but the sounds seem to be coming closer.
Heinrich Stark
 player, 12 posts
Mon 18 May 2020
at 21:08
Re: IC
Heinrich relaxed his grip on the handle as the carriage slowed to a stop then tightens again when he hears the baying.

His day had just gotten worse, potentially much worse.

As it gets closer his hand moved almost unconsciously to the dagger and realizes his life may now depend on the minimal training he's received with that weapon.  He looks around to the others inside as if for some sort of reassurance that this will all turn out okay.  "At least we have each other, right?" as if to reassure others more than himself that this will all end well, and soon.

He then leans carefully out the window to inquire of the coachman and Valdred "What is our situation?  Will we be able to get this carriage moving again?"
Filibert Heinig
 player, 14 posts
 Fortune 4/5
Wed 20 May 2020
at 15:43
Re: IC
"Could be beastmen! We need to ride!" Filibert said releasing his grip on the bridle and back his horse out of the way of the coach. Once it passed he'd take up rear-guard, and delay for the coach if necessary. He drew his sabre and looked in the direction of the baying, fear starting to sink into the lad.
Erika Kleiber
 player, 10 posts
Fri 22 May 2020
at 00:58
Re: IC
Erika tried not to let her fear show as her right hand slipped to the hilt of the narrow bladed dagger at her belt. Altdorf cutpurses she could handle but beastmen were something else.

'I don't suppose you are secretly a Reiksguard in an excellent disguise?' she asked Heinrich, trying to make light of the situation even as sounds seemed to be coming closer.


OOC: Erika will split the blessing between Heinrich and Valdred.
Heinrich Stark
 player, 13 posts
Fri 22 May 2020
at 03:54
Re: IC
"I am not.", Heinrich answered regretfully, "Their combat skills would indeed be most valuable right now.  Let us hope good ser Heinig is able to get this carriage moving instead."
GM
 GM, 28 posts
Thu 28 May 2020
at 14:34
Re: IC
Valdred and the coachman rein in the horses just as the baying arises. Valdred looks back in concern as Filibert maneuvers himself between the source of the noise and the coach. The coachman quickly jumps to the ground and checks on the traces. "They're barely holding on, " he reports. "I need to make a quick repair, don't suppose anyone is a Leatherworker or Engineer?"

OOC: The coachman needs to make a quick repair to the traces, at which he is not particularly skilled and so it might take him a little time. Unfortunately no one has Trade(Leatherworker) or Lore(Engineering) to take over but if you can think of ways to help him that would speed up the process.

Heinrich can still make a Simple Perception skill test (Challenging +0) to see if his acute senses reveal anything. Filibert can also make a Simple Perception skill test (Challenging +0) as he maneuvers himself between the baying creatures and the coach.

Filibert Heinig
 player, 17 posts
 Fortune 4/5
Thu 28 May 2020
at 14:53
Re: IC
"Bollocks." The young scout mutters, as he pulled at the reins to move his steed. "Be quick... I'll try to draw them away from the carriage. Yell when you're moving."

Henri moved back down the way they'd come, traveling some distance (50m) from the coach, and listened. He didn't want to draw the beast to himself if they weren't actually coming for the coach. If they could just let things pass by, that would be best.


OOC: 3 of my last 4 rolls have been above 90.
09:46, Today: Filibert Heinig rolled 91 -- 5 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 40.  Perception.