Into the Valley.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Thamkis Slybones
 PC, 48 posts
 Init +2 AC 21/21/19
 Save 7/7/12 hp 20/20
Mon 29 Mar 2021
at 14:41
Re: Into the Valley
"Handsome rewards from a handsome man. I can certainly do that. How much gear and goods are we talking? Will we need mules and carts, or will you be retrieving your merchandise after we've driven off the orcs?"

Thamkis abstained from the wine for the moment, but didn't draw too much attention to that.
Brengalyn
 PC, 61 posts
 AC 24/15/19 hp 30 init 7
 Fort 6 Ref 10 Will 2
Mon 29 Mar 2021
at 14:50
Re: Into the Valley
"It was a little luck and a lot of fierce battle prowess from my goblin associate here, I assure you. But we can certainly try to retrieve your goods and secure your hunting camps. Are there men trapped behind the orcs' lines, or goods? I don't mean to sound dismissive, but living people require a faster pace and are more complicated to move quickly."

Brengalyn kept a cool attitude and a pleasant smile, as this would likely be an open and shut sort of contract, but the details were important.
GM
 GM, 113 posts
Tue 30 Mar 2021
at 13:51
Re: Into the Valley
"My hunters and their attendants find themselves facing a pair of obstacles." He went on to explain. "You see the area in which they are hunting is in a secluded valley some ten miles from here, on the other side of the area that is currently serving as a battleground. The other obstacle is the nature of the merchandise in question. It is of a most unique nature and I fear that some of my hunters may be conspiring to procure this merchandise for their own gain. I cannot substantiate this, of course, since I am not among them. But the nature of their poor communications to me makes me believe that something deceptive is afoot."

He sat himself at the table as the pitchers of wine were delivered. It smelled sweet, strong, and expensive. He began pouring wine into cups as he spoke more, "As for the handsome rewards. I will provide you with mounts, wagons, ammunition, rations, water, and the like as you need from my trading post. Sorry, that would the Half-tailed Dragon Emporium and Merchandisers. It is located at the edge of town to the northwest. As for rewards, if you deliver my merchandise I will reward each of you with one thousand golden coins. If you should discover a plot and have to face my hunters I completely understand. No harm or accusation will be leveled against you."
Brengalyn
 PC, 62 posts
 AC 24/15/19 hp 30 init 7
 Fort 6 Ref 10 Will 2
Tue 30 Mar 2021
at 13:56
Re: Into the Valley
In reply to GM (msg # 98):

"Well, with the addition of equipment and the explanation, I think that sounds like something we can help with. I'll trust my associate Thamkis to inspect the equipment, if only to ensure we set out knowing what we have. And then we will set out."

Brengalyn looked to Barg and Penny

"Unless either of you have questions, objections or conditions?"
Barg
 PC, 54 posts
 AC 22/16/17 hp 23/31
 F/R/W 6/9/4 init 7
Sun 4 Apr 2021
at 13:08
Re: Into the Valley
"Barg hopes your hunters are lost or hurt!"

Barg smiled a toothy wide grin

"Barg would prefer it, much nicer to rescue from danger than to hurt for plotting!"
GM
 GM, 114 posts
Sun 4 Apr 2021
at 15:03
Re: Into the Valley
"Yes, yes, I sure your meaning." The man seemed a little at odds with what to say. He smiled on, though, and looked Barg in the eye. "Master Goblin, my thanks to your commitment to this endeavor and I sincerely hope that no harm befalls you."

He signaled for the Bantam man and spoke over his shoulder, "My good man please hustle off to the trading post, tell Martin that our newest employees with be in soon to pick up supplies and sundries from their journey. The company will cover their costs.'

With that the attendant left the room to make his way across town.

"Come, let us eat, I'm sure you will want a full belly for your trip." He said as he spread butter over a slice of bread.
Thamkis Slybones
 PC, 49 posts
 Init +2 AC 21/21/19
 Save 7/7/12 hp 20/20
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 20:22
Re: Into the Valley
Thamkis didn't need to be told twice, grabbing her own bread and getting stuck into the butter, weatherd hands skillfully spreading before she popped the seasoned piece in her mouth.

"As it should be. A full belly and a clear goal. We'll make good progress on this, I can feel it in my bones."
Brengalyn
 PC, 63 posts
 AC 24/15/19 hp 30 init 7
 Fort 6 Ref 10 Will 2
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 14:46
Re: Into the Valley
Brengalyn took pains to gather an overly generous share of food and drink, her subtlety  outmatched by gluttony it seemed.

"Too right, a full belly and a good start, and gold in hand for both. A good deal all around."
Barg
 PC, 55 posts
 AC 22/16/17 hp 23/31
 F/R/W 6/9/4 init 7
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 15:39
Re: Into the Valley
"No fall can beharm Barg! He is too good at balancing!"

The goblin said little else once food was truly in the offing, devouring a copious share greedily and messily, eyes sparkling with delight.
Thamkis Slybones
 PC, 51 posts
 Init +2 AC 21/21/19
 Save 7/7/12 hp 20/20
Tue 13 Apr 2021
at 21:47
Re: Into the Valley
Thamkis found herself done first (there was little one could do if one didn't drink, after one had their fill of food) and excused herself to begin preparing the wagon and mules. Taking time to brush the mules and feed them, she scoured her cauldron waiting to see if the others would be ready to set off soon
GM
 GM, 118 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2021
at 22:23
Re: Into the Valley
(OOC: that is a great visualization. well stated.)
Penny Perseus
 PC, 42 posts
Tue 13 Apr 2021
at 23:21
Re: Into the Valley
Penny smiled "We would be happy to help you Mister" she placed her hand at his wrist, giving it a good feel before smacking at something invisable at her ear. "Seriously? Everytime I meet someone new!" she huffed "pixies"
Barg
 PC, 57 posts
 AC 22/16/17 hp 23/31
 F/R/W 6/9/4 init 7
Wed 14 Apr 2021
at 23:50
Re: Into the Valley
Barg gorged himself and quaffed much ale before excusing himself to visit the outhouse.

Staggering back, he flopped down near the wagon to rest while he waited for the others

"Barg is SOOOOO FULL. Might blow up like a ball, roll ahead of wagon!"
GM
 GM, 119 posts
Thu 15 Apr 2021
at 01:42
Re: Into the Valley
Porters from the trading post delivered arrows, bolts, kegs of ale and water, a crate of rations, several bottles of wine, a bucket of coal, torches, blankets, and a large tent to put over the entire wagon. Barg was stepped over with care not to drip mud in his direction. The horses were groomed, fitted with new shoes, and watered before being put to their harness.

"Ladies and gentlem, er, goblin, it our pleasure to assist you. Please take care in your duties and we thank on the behalf of our embattled brothers." One of the porters told them once the work was done.

The sun was high overhead. Midday and lunch was finishing. The sky was clear and blue with a few puffs of white clouds in the distance. Despite this, the echoes of war rumbled to them from miles away to the west and southwest.
Brengalyn
 PC, 65 posts
 AC 24/15/19 hp 30 init 7
 Fort 6 Ref 10 Will 2
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 14:48
Re: Into the Valley
Brengalyn, still a little day drunk from the sudden working lunch, oversaw the loading with glee and a little high energy.

"Glad to do it, glad to do it, thank you for being so prompt to load all these things."

She picked up Barg and put him in the wagon, careful not to set him off after so full a lunch

"Rest up Barg, battle probably awaits."

Saddling up her horse, Brengalyn rode ahead of the wagon. After a time, the buzz of the wine cleared and she got down to thinking about tactics and speculating on problems they'd face potentially.

"We should be ready to pull off the road if another of those crashing fights comes across our path again. The orcs and elves and men won't give much warning."
GM
 GM, 120 posts
Sun 18 Apr 2021
at 15:33
Re: Into the Valley
The loading complete, the little group mounted its horses and wagon and began sauntering out town. The road was good for some miles, until it ran up into the wooded hills. The seasonal rain runoff and loamy soil made for rutted, muddy tracks that took the draft horse quite some time to get through without overworking them.

Despite this, the group made good time and covered nearly a quarter of their journey to the hunter's camp by sunset. Coming across a particularly flat stretch of land that wasn't too rocky and offered decent cover they found a spacious place to camp for the night. In the distance the sounds of running water drifted up into the hills. The river, well one of them, was nearby. That meant fresh water and fresh fish.

And fresh toads and salamanders it occurred to Barg.
Barg
 PC, 58 posts
 AC 22/16/17 hp 23/31
 F/R/W 6/9/4 init 7
Tue 20 Apr 2021
at 01:47
Re: Into the Valley
Barg sprung from the wagon when the call was made to camp

"Barg smells river! Squish lizards and wart frogs, Barg will make soup! Teach Thamkis ancient goblin recipe!"

Rummaging in his pocket pouch, Barg drew out his spotted frog, who croaked in protest

"Listen Crunch! Hear the songs of the river!"
GM
 GM, 123 posts
Sat 24 Apr 2021
at 15:20
Re: Into the Valley
The camp was coming together quickly. Fire, fire wood, horses unlimbers, combed, and at graze....Barg grabbed an old bucket from the wagon and sallied forth to the nearby river. It was broad and flat, and he soon found his time spent skipping flat river stones over the river's surface and digging up mud runners, slime slinkers, green leapers, and winged crunchies. The bucket was nearly full when the heavy quarrel lanced through it as Barg balanced in atop his head.

Across the river, some thirty yards away, a trio of Orc scouts laughed as one with a heavy crossbow reloaded as quickly as he could. But, it was funny. He had bragged he could hit the little goblin right in the brain bucket. And, well, he did shoot Barg in the bucket after all.

Up the ridge along the road Thamkis was just getting the cook fire to an acceptable roar for making a pot of scalding tea when a heavy quarrel passed through her tea pot. Its burnished bronze was warped and pierced in a most sacrilegious manner. The fire of anger burned hot enough to influence the fire before her. As it blazed up to engulf the two partridges spitted above it.

Noticing this, Brengalyn quickly tracked back along the quarrels like flight path and see two Orc scouts. One was busily reloading a heavy crossbow as the other let lose with a quarrel that narrowly missed her.

Penny was just setting aside a pot of lentils and onion for Thamkis when the quarrel passed through the teapot to strike the ground near her knee. Startled she nearly spilled the pot. Reacting naturally she rose to her feet and looked for the source of the bolt. Then the fire blazed in time with Thamkis' anger. Penny stepped back several paces. This could not be a good thing!
Thamkis Slybones
 PC, 52 posts
 Init +2 AC 21/21/19
 Save 7/7/12 hp 20/20
Sun 25 Apr 2021
at 01:27
Re: Into the Valley
"Oh spokes and ruts!"

Thamkis' fingers touched her hair, a silvery strand following each finger as she wove them together in the air, a silvery ball sailing towards the orc who'd shot at them. The one she could see at least

OOC: web bolt attack roll touch 23, if it hits the orc he gets a DC 15 Reflex save verses the effect of a person web spell

"Penny, take cover, there's bolts a-flying!"

OOC: Initiative 20, move to climb out of the wagon to get a better view, drawing my crossbow
Brengalyn
 PC, 66 posts
 AC 24/15/19 hp 30 init 7
 Fort 6 Ref 10 Will 2
Sun 25 Apr 2021
at 03:17
Re: Into the Valley
Brengalyn moved aside as the arrow sailed past, mostly startled and a little bit instinct. She drew her fine darkwood bow, a purple fletched arrow to hand as she drew, breathing a moment and loosing at the other one from Thamkis

OOC: attack roll 17, damage 6, initiative 20

While Thamkis wanted to get closer, laying covering fire from near the wagon suited the towering half-elf fine
Barg
 PC, 60 posts
 AC 22/16/17 hp 23/31
 F/R/W 6/9/4 init 7
Mon 26 Apr 2021
at 20:34
Re: Into the Valley
Barg made an eeep and then snarled at the attacking orcs. Shoot his bucket? He's shoot them! With his bucket!

OOC: attack roll natural 1, bucket is broken as per improvised weapons rule. Impromptu Armament and Throw Anything class features used to no avail

Trying to throw the bucket and simply sending it sailing end over end into the water, Barg dropped to all fours and scampered towards the other side the orcs were on, trying to close the distance

OOC: if necessary swim check of 22, initiative of 25

This message was last edited by the player at 20:39, Mon 26 Apr.

GM
 GM, 124 posts
Tue 27 Apr 2021
at 03:33
Re: Into the Valley
A bolt passes by Barg as and Orc lets loose and misses. His companion charges forward to attack Barg with mace and shield drawn.

Hurrying to reload, the Orc is struck the web bolt. Caught in a mass of webbing and unable to extricate himself. Nearby, the free Orc scout tried to turn, flee to warn what forces were close. An arrow suddenly sprouted from its back, knees buckling the Orc toppled into the dirt in pain with a yelp.

(I am glad I did not use public rolls. It was really embarrassing how poorly this round went for the bad guys.)
Barg
 PC, 61 posts
 AC 22/16/17 hp 23/31
 F/R/W 6/9/4 init 7
Wed 5 May 2021
at 03:28
Re: Into the Valley
Snarling, Barg waded to the other side and moved to try and grab the orcs and drag them back. The bloodlust was strong, but he tempered it knowing a bite held back might mean more information for the others . . .
GM
 GM, 125 posts
Wed 5 May 2021
at 13:47
Re: Into the Valley
The Orcs were neither afraid nor docile as they cursed and fought their bindings. Barg smiled, plopping his butt down on one Orc's forehead. He had used all the rope at his disposal to tie up the pair of scouts. The looked like angry, cussing sausages. He giggled and looked to he others.
Brengalyn
 PC, 67 posts
 AC 24/15/19 hp 30 init 7
 Fort 6 Ref 10 Will 2
Wed 5 May 2021
at 18:27
Re: Into the Valley
"Drag them back here Barg, let's see what use we can find for them!"

Brengalyn called out to Barg, trying to remind the goblin not to start biting anyone until they were done.