(IC) 1: The Rescue.   Posted by Takmarin.Group: 0
Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 115 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Sun 16 Aug 2020
at 20:01
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
I recalled from my lessons the importance of knowing one's full name and was not willing to give the Satyr that power over me. I knew these dealings were going to be very delicate going forward and I needed to be very careful.

You already know who I am, therefore, giving you my full name is unnecessary. You haven't given me your name either if I do recall. It sounds to me that you are the one that is in need of an introduction here. I do not wish to be rude in our dealings going forward. I was raised to be nothing, if not polite. You know how my mother is.
Sand
 player, 77 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Sun 16 Aug 2020
at 22:21
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Sand looked on the exchange between Althaea and the satyr, noticed the rock changing bowl, and cocked his head to the side, trying to figure what was the end game here. Althaea had said that groves like this one were created by powerful Fey creatures. The old Satyr did not look very menacing, but the bard was obviously very careful on the words she was exchanging with him. Scamp was fidgety on his shoulder but obeyed his explicit command to stay put, the little fey spirit excited to be in a location that reminded him of home.

The druid was nervously pacing behind him and he could feel Clacker only wanting to clack a warning to Erik, but he too was under strict instruction to stay calm. Now was not the time to disrupt the delicate negotiations.

Still, the wordplay was mesmerizing and the ballet of rocks intriguing. Sand quietly casted a spell, hoping to understand what game was the Satyr playing here.

Insight check with guidance 22 + 4, 26 total.

Takmarin
 GM, 136 posts
Sun 16 Aug 2020
at 23:43
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Without missing a beat or seeming bothered by any of the response, the Satyr said, My name is Magorian. It seems some of your manners may be slipping child due to your absence from the Feywild; how long until you are allowed back home? It seems your family feels much the same.

How did I know it was you, you ask, eh?  Being old and wise has its perks, I guess.  I make it a habit to know who I'm dealing with before a conversation and yes, you are correct, most of the Satyrs were banished from the Feywild.

I speak of the matter that is of most importance to this world, not necessarily you personally child.  The war of course.  What do you intend to do about it?  Was it not what you were sent here to accomplish?  Surely the Seelie Court would want to rectify such a dire situation?

Where are my manners though.  Would any of you like some famous Fey delicacies or beverages while Althaea and I discuss further arrangements?

I'm sure you, Althaea, are finding the food here, lacking.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:53, Sun 16 Aug 2020.

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 116 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 01:47
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
I could tell Magorian was trying to pull the wool over my eyes somehow, but I was not able to tell with what specifically. I would just have to take a chance and hope I am not wrong.

Glancing back at the rest of my companions, I said
Remember the flower and be cautious. I then turned back to the Satyr.

Some refreshments would be lovely, Magorian. I have been rather displeased with most of the dishes I have tasted here. Mother did not say, just when I am done with my mission. I have not been here for long, I do not know this war of which you speak. Mother was not very forthcoming with the details, I believe she is testing me. Are you referring to the Drow?
Sand
 player, 78 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 03:43
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
The satyr offered some refreshments to everyone, and Althaea subtly reminded everyone to be careful. The construct still didnít need to eat anything, but something of the encounter reminded him that politeness would play a major roll here. He considered his answer for a few seconds, his limited vocabulary a curse here.

Sand is truly sorry, but Sand can not eat. Sand maker did not give stomach to Sand.  Sand thanks you for gracious offer.

He bowed at the waist, Scamp taking flight before perching himself on Clackerís carapace.
Erik Moor
 player, 24 posts
 Human, Mark of Handling
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 04:39
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Erik's response to the offer was short. "No." And he shook his mangy hair covered head while scooting back. But as if realizing there was more at play here and perhaps drawing on some rather unfortunate memories. He added. "Have no ...ex   change. Not fair   to you."
Andraste Giltris
 player, 99 posts
 Half-Elf Female
 Envoy of Rau
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 11:52
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Andraste smiles at the old Satyr and bows slightly from the waist. "Some water would be lovely."

Thorn bows and says, her voice firm and resolute, "That is a kind offer but I'm unworthy of such consideration."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:03, Mon 17 Aug 2020.

Zail
 player, 7 posts
 Drow Rogue/Wizard
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 13:09
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
I donít like this. I donít like that thing. Drowís freaking out. She must know or see something I donít, I trust her hesitation. Her hair is raised and her tail is puffed out and flicking all over. Itís going to hard to fight if sheís like this on my shoulders. I look from the satyr over to Althaea. I keep my voice as quiet as possible.

Be careful Althaea. I donít like this, not at all.
Takmarin
 GM, 137 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2020
at 15:11
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
After hearing the replies, or lack thereof, the Satyr smiles as six more pebbles float into the bowl next to him.  Looking back at Althaea, his smile grows a little wider and says, Excellent, let me fetch those for you.

Without moving a muscle, a large wooden stump-like table appears in a poof of air in from of the rest of the party, along with enough chairs for all those that might wish to sit.  A mushroom like table with a long, thin stem, pops up in between the Satyr and Althaea as well, with a platter containing a feast of Feywild delicacies, their aromas immediately filling the grove with tantalizing scents.  The shining and spotless silver platter consisted of exotic cheeses and fruits, flower petals and mushroom caps, all of which were colorful and beautifully arranged.

Two long and slender glasses appear atop the mushroom, aside the platter.  The Satyr, shows his hand which contains a single white towel, with two grapes in it.  He places one in each of the glasses, and begins to stir with a glass stirrer that seemed to come from nowhere.  As he begins to stir, the grape instantly becomes a fruity wine; the scent touching on your lips before you've even had any.

I find it very unconvincing that your mother would send you here on something so important and not give you the appropriate details, however, the Seelie Court has made many poor decisions as of late.

The Drow are just a small piece of the puzzle, though that doesn't make them any less important.  I have many contacts, and contacts of contacts if you will, so I have quite a bit of information on the war thus far.  While it is important for both our worlds, it is primarily more dire here.  Is this information you would like to know now or will you be taking the highly valuable time needed to take an extended trip home and ask your mother?
  The Satyr's smile not only grows again, but looks far more dangerous.
Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 117 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 00:55
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
I took a drink of the wine Magorian had set before me and nibbled on the various delicacies set out on the table. The sheer delight on my face was almost palpable. I could actually taste the different flavors of cheese. The price I was going to have to pay for this food was worth it.

It is not my place to question my Mother's decisions, not yet anyway. Perhaps in another couple hundred years, I'll have the wisdom to suggest other appropriate courses of action. Who am I to presume I know better than the Queen? Speaking of the Queen, paying Mother a visit, I would be remiss to say I would not enjoy going back. However, I am sure a deal could be made for the prior, it is a rather long trip. One, I am not sure I can afford to make at the moment. These people have come to depend on me. Mother sent me here to test me, to teach me how to be dependable to my people. What kind of a princess would I be, no, what kind of a Queen would I become, if I left my people now?

I paused for a moment to gauge his reaction before I stated simply, in a voice low enough my companions could not hear, Tell me what you know. I am sure we can come to an arrangement.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:20, Tue 18 Aug 2020.

Takmarin
 GM, 138 posts
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 04:03
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Seeing three more pebbles float into the bowl next to him, the Satyr says,

I agree your highness and it seems that you have a much better head on your shoulders than the family elders currently running things in the Seelie Court...and for that, I would be happy to tell you about the war and might just be able to help you and your compatriots as well...should you accept my terms.  Looking at the bowl, you're already quite in my debt, especially with the freedom of your hunters, gifts provided, the lack of appropriate manners, as well as not following the rules of the Fey.

First, the war.  Long before the time of the cleansing, a very powerful creature known as Kyroth Mog, ruled the Underdark.  He became so powerful that his powers of domination were able to reach beyond the Underdark and onto the surface world.  Those of the Underdark were already under his influence and so therefore could not fight back, however the surface world still had a chance...and a chance they took.  They gathered intelligence, assembled the troops and necessary magical equipment needed to accomplish their tasks.  After a long six years and a lot of lives lost, they were able to lock the beast away behind four magical seals.  These magical seals each hold two specializations of magic within, polar opposites, so that to unlock a single seal, you would need two powerful wizards, each excelling in their specific specialization.  Generally this couldn't easily be done by just one wizard, so it ensured a safety net of having two wizards making the decision for each seal.  It was brilliant and effective.  The orbs that acted as the seals and contained the magic within, were scattered across the world, held by powerful wizards of a different specialization, so there would be even less chance that the creature would be freed.

However, when the cleansing happened, the orbs suddenly became much more accessible.  With a lot of their protectors gone and wards compromised, there has been a resurgence to release this creature from his prison.

The Drow have one, that much I can tell by your face the first moment I mentioned the orb.  There are still three more, but they are all being pursued as we speak.

So where does that leave us?


Looking at the bowl again, the Satyr speaks up again.

We are running out of time and you, and your companions, are just not strong enough to stop this.  I however may be able to help with that.  I can give you all each a part of my strength.  I am too old to be running around fighting this war and I have other more important matters to attend to.  The problem I see is that you are quite in my debt already, so the price I require from you Althaea and you alone, will be quite high.  The question is, are you willing to pay the price for the power to save your world?
Sand
 player, 79 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 12:02
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
The ballet of rocks continued in favor of the satyrís bowl and warning bells sounded in the fine mind encased in a faulty mechanical body. Then the fey creature told Althaea he basically owned her, in a complicated game without any rules that Sand could discern. And he seemed to have contributed to this debt without even knowing it!

This conflicted with his ingrained love of order and rules, feeling the chaotic and twisted mind games of the Satyr in full force. If his face could express any emotion, anger would be represented now. Instead, his body started to lean forward, he took a step forward, the shield arm lifting up, the spear point raising  from the ground and Clacker, sensing his masterís mood, gleefully clacking once. Scamp took flight, ready to help as soon as directed, hooting loudly.


Althaea is not in debt of anyone. Sand thinks  there was cheating. Sand needs to speak with Althaea, right now.

The normally polite warforged was not taking no for an answer.
Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 118 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 21:35
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Althaea looked to Sand, who seemed angry, even if his face was not able to express it. He did not know the rules of the Fey and believed there was something that could be done to change the Satyr's position. It was folly to try, however, I would speak with him if just to tell him so.

Excuse me a moment, Magolian, my companion seems to overstep his bounds. I stood up from the table and bowed to the Satyr, turning to face the path back to where my companions await. However, before I begin to walk away, I notice something. You are a clever one Magolian, no matter which way I take back to my companions, I will be forced to break one of the rules. The path back would have me travel counter-clockwise, however, to stray from the path avoiding this, is also breaking a rule.

Forgive an old fool, let me fix that for you.

You look at the path, waiting, but realize that even though you were watching the path, you never saw it change, but realize it is now going clockwise. As the path is corrected, a pebble drops in the bowl next to me.

The rules of the Fey are never clearly stated at the start of a discussion. This Satyr did not cheat, though I understand how it would seem that way. Magolian is old, making him extremely wise and clever, and he outmatched me. Whether I take his deal for the power or not, I am still indebted to him for the food and for freeing the prisoners. The price I will pay will not be as steep, but I will still have to pay, none-the-less. Is there anything else you wish to discuss before I make my decision?

This message was last edited by the player at 01:58, Wed 19 Aug 2020.

Sand
 player, 80 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 22:11
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
The volatile eladrin showed a very good level of self-control as she very politely blasted Sand for his indiscretion in the delicate negotiation that Althaea was completely losing. But the massive construct still didnít like it.

This still feels wrong, Althaea. Sand may not know Fey rules, but Sand not trust horned one. How can Althaea be sure horned one is not asking for too much in return? What price is Althaea ready to pay?

Scamp, bored of the discussion and wanting to be with his dance partner, landed on Althaea shoulder and did not want to go away.
Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 119 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 22:27
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
You do not have to trust him to know he speaks the truth. He is not lying about the war and the orbs. Should that creature be set free, we are not strong enough in our current state to defeat it. All power comes with a price Sand, I shall have to see what he asks of me in return.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:17, Tue 18 Aug 2020.

Andraste Giltris
 player, 100 posts
 Half-Elf Female
 Envoy of Rau
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 22:38
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
"Just because he cannot lie does not mean he is telling you the truth. I noticed that he did not say that we would be strong enough to face this challenge if you accept his offer. I cannot tell you which is the correct path; all I can say is there are other means of gaining strength if you choose to take up this task. They may be slower but I imagine they will ask less of you than this gentlefey." I say quietly to Althaea and reach out to lay my hand on her shoulder briefly. "I believe in you."
Mathorn
 player, 60 posts
 Elven Ranger
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 23:17
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Thorn pulled back her hood so she could meet Althaea's eyes directly: "Don't take on debt for me. Should rejecting his offer prove impossible, I will pay my own way." Her verdant gaze radiated intensity and determination. Then the moment passed and she hid her face again.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:18, Tue 18 Aug 2020.

Sand
 player, 81 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Tue 18 Aug 2020
at 23:34
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Sand saw Thornís face full on for the first time, as the elf with the weird skin color dropped her hood to talk to Althaea, saying that she didnít want the bard to take on debt for her benefit. Sand felt something stirring in his mechanical heart when she said that, and knew right there that she was right. It was not proper for one member of the party to take on so much for the benefit of the assembly, and he nodded as the hunter retreated back to the darkness of her hood.

Thorn is right. Sand also doesnít want Althaea to take on debt on Sandís name. That is not proper. Sand will pay his share by helping Althaea help horned one.
Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 120 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 00:25
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
As I came up to the path, I notice it once again corrected so I was walking in the correct direction. I follow the spiral path to Magolian and sit down, I apologize for the delay, where were we?

This message was last edited by the player at 01:59, Wed 19 Aug 2020.

Zail
 player, 8 posts
 Drow Rogue/Wizard
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 01:16
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
As Althaea walks back I hear what each of her friends say. What debt, I donít know whatís going on. I wonít have anyone take on some debt for me, regardless if itís gold or life. We make our own way. I pet Drow to try to calm her.

Althaea, take no debt for me.
Takmarin
 GM, 139 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 03:07
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Ah yes, we were discussing the terms of our agreement.  For you to receive the return of your two hunters, as well as the power I am offering, the price to settle our debt would your choice of one of the following three options. Without warning, the clouds in his eyes dissipate and you can finally see his eyes for the first time.  A mostly black center with a thin stripe of red running the perimeter of each eye.  His face contorts, as he stands up with alacrity, his crooked staff standing on its own upright.

It is ultimately your decision on which one you choose, however know this your highness.  Should you try to deceive me, I will know it child.  I've been playing this game almost twice as long as you you've been alive.  Don't make me come get my due.  With that, he sits back down, lays his right hand back upon his walking stick, and smiles.

Ah yes, where were we:

The first of three, of the decisions for thee, is this:  When you marry, (and marry you must), and become Queen of the Feywild, your legitimate first born will be given to me.  As such, this first born will be the heir to the throne of the Summer Seelie Court, thus making my family, the royal family from that point on.  As you know, it does not matter in the Feywild if the heir is a boy or girl.

The second of three, of the decisions for thee, is this:  You will marry my son, and as the heir to the royal throne, my son will then become King.  Once the ceremony is complete, you may leave and live out your life as you wish, and my son will find a new Queen.  This will make my family, the royal family.

The third and final of three, of the decisions for thee, is this:  You fully give up your right to bear children and to marry entirely.  In doing so, as you know per Feywild rules, should the Queen not be able to marry or produce an heir, then the royal family's rights are forfeit and that would make MY family next in line to become the ruling royal family.

What is your decision, your highness?

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 121 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 03:51
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
I close my eyes briefly and take a deep breath while I ponder my options. None of them were good. However, option one gives me the most time to come up with a solution. I will deliver on the deal if I must, but I would rather find a way to change it and for that, I needed time. I open my eyes as I exhale the breath I had been holding, You know Mother, as long as she is living she would never allow me to marry your son. I am afraid option two is off the table. However, I do wish to have children, so option one seems to be the only viable option going forward.
Erik Moor
 player, 25 posts
 Human, Mark of Handling
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 04:02
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Erik's first apprehensions were returning and rapidly, already he had started to pace again at the offering of deals that were just bad bad and worse. He didn't know much about Althaea but he did know that if this Fey was anything like Granny there was nothing good coming of this arrangement. He cowered again. Behind Clacker and Sand he began nursing in that animal-esque gibberish, and only one word could be heard breaking through again and again. Just loud enough for those close to hear well. "No.   Nonono no no." Finally something else became clear. "Never deal never. Owned,  will be owned can never be free." His eyes started to cast about the clearing again looking for safe egress if any could be found. But there was hesitancy there. He didn't want to leave somebody in a position he knew to well. He had escaped at least temporarily...

Maybe one day he could help her escape too.

Takmarin
 GM, 140 posts
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 18:09
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
Magorian stood up and waited for Althaea to do the same.  Once she stood up, he clasped her arm at the elbow, again waiting for her to follow suit.  Once both clasped, he pulled her forward, laying his dry, cracked lips upon hers.  Althaea's eyes burst open in shock and surprise, as she could feel the agreement worm its way down her throat, her body writhing with each and every inch as it uncomfortably crept further and further, altering the very core of her being.  What felt like a lifetime was over in a matter of maybe ten to fifteen seconds, and ending with Althaea falling to her hands and knees, her body pulsing in anguish.

A wicked smile spread across his face, as he said:


The deal has been sealed Althaea.  Alright then, who's next?  He eyes the volatile Drow sorceress who looks incredibly uncomfortable and ready to spring an attack at any moment.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:52, Wed 19 Aug 2020.

Zail
 player, 9 posts
 Drow Rogue/Wizard
Wed 19 Aug 2020
at 20:02
Re: (IC) 1:  The Rescue
I donít know you. We have no business. Whatever you did to her you will not do to me. I have nothing for you and you will get nothing from me. You can take your bowl and your stones and leave.

I hope he listens. I donít know how strong he is and honestly I donít care. If he wants a fight Iíll give him one. I hope whatever he did to Althaea that sheís alright. Drow wonít calm down and her mind is racing, I canít tell if she wants to run or fight.