(IC) 0: Leaving Already?   Posted by Takmarin.Group: 0
Sand
 player, 53 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Mon 27 Jul 2020
at 14:49
0: Leaving Already?
The construct listened to the two community leaders and shook his head, displeased. When they offered to go look for the hunters, he started to slowly nod his head.

Sand will go look for hunters for Vertigo. Sand can't say for others.
Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 82 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Mon 27 Jul 2020
at 17:16
0: Leaving Already?
I sat and waited to hear the responses from the rest of my compatriots and found myself daydreaming of the morning before.

The morning of Alaric’s departure had come too soon. Alaric was already dressed and double checking his packs for the journey ahead. I sat in bed and looked at him for a moment, noting his subtle mannerisms, the little things that added together to make him who he was. I had started to smile in spite of the ache I felt in my chest. Which meant, of course, Alaric chose that moment to look up and see me staring at him.


Good morning beautiful. Like what you see?

I would bet he thought himself very clever, I chose this moment to descend from the top bunk and wrap my arms around him. If I did not, you would not have caught me looking. Why must you leave today?

The sooner I leave, the sooner I come back to you. Besides you have your own journey in a few days and it will occupy most of the time I am gone.

Why did I have to fall for a rational human? Are not the humans supposed to be rash and impulsive creatures? Will you have breakfast with me before you depart?

Alaric just chuckled at my comment, knowing it was folly to actually answer, Of course I will eat with you, my love. Come, before everything gets cold. He gently untangled my arms from around him and led me to the Better Times.

After we were finished, I knew it was time for him to leave and walked with him to the gate. Turning around to face me, he brushed a lock of hair away from my face and kissed me.


I will be back before you know it. Try not to miss me too much.
Mathorn
 player, 40 posts
 Elven Ranger
Mon 27 Jul 2020
at 18:17
0: Leaving Already?
Thorn rather hoped the hunters thought rooms with doors served as sufficient safety. That would mean they weren't wary enough and perhaps whatever had slain or delayed them would find an alert party rather more difficult prey.

She nodded in response to Thorin's question. Even discounting her compelling reason not to linger in one place, she felt caged in the tiny settlement.

Still, she had to acknowledge her distraction on a number of different fronts. That was perilous and while she wasn't able to mitigate most of it, one possible exception remained. She glanced at Althaea, who seemed a bit preoccupied herself. Regrettable. Even so, Thorn would have to seek a private word with her before their departure. But she wasn't looking forward to the inevitable questions that would arise . . .
Andraste Giltris
 player, 74 posts
 Half-Elf Female
 Envoy of Rau
Mon 27 Jul 2020
at 21:48
0: Leaving Already?
I smother the impulse to leap from the table and dash off in search of the hunters. Wait you need information before rushing off. In these circumstances a few minutes are unlikely to make the difference. "Are you aware of any other landmarks? Any other location on their route they have been forced to take shelter?" I pause for a second before continuing, "Also, do you have any medical supplies we can take with us in case they are injured?"

Hmm, Thorn likely knows more about tracking than the rest of us. "Thorn, is there anything we should do before we leave?"

This message was last edited by the player at 21:51, Mon 27 July 2020.

Mathorn
 player, 41 posts
 Elven Ranger
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 03:49
0: Leaving Already?
"Gather water, rations, bedrolls, rope - standard gear. And as much information as we can acquire: numbers, whether the hunters foraged for something in particular, any specifics on known threats in the region." Thorn doubted she was providing new information, but assumptions killed the unwise.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:31, Tue 28 July 2020.

Takmarin
 GM, 109 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 12:43
0: Leaving Already?
I'm unaware of any other landmarks or locations in that area Andraste that they might have gone to alternatively.  For the most part they work alone, though do file reports with me should there be any new information and there hasn't been in quite some time. Sebastian says.

Thorin speaks up and say,We do have some medical supplies.  I'll fetch them for you now.
Sand
 player, 54 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 12:52
0: Leaving Already?
There was a lot of information given but one number was missing in all the jumble, so Sand cocked his head to the side and asked.

Sand wants to know how many hunters are missing. How can Sand and friends know who they are? What race, what name?

He hoped he was clear enough in his stilted speech to be understood.
Takmarin
 GM, 110 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 13:09
0: Leaving Already?
Ah yes, the most important question for sure, Sand.

There are 6 hunters:

  • Althidon Syllar, an Elven Male
  • Darcassan Virsys, an Elven Male
  • Aleena Miasalar, a Half-Elven Female
  • Elias and Elinaora Leafbrook, Brother and Sister, Human M and F
  • Gizmo Rowley, a Halfling Male

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 83 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 15:00
0: Leaving Already?
I was brought out of my daydream when the names of the hunters were given out. And something clicked in my mind should things have gone awry. More so than just needing our help to find them. I pulled out parchment, jotted down the names and races and posed my question, Can I get a physical description of each of the hunters? Any distinguishing features they may have? I do not wish to find them roaming the countryside as undead; however, I would like to be able to determine if they are.
Takmarin
 GM, 111 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 15:41
0: Leaving Already?
Here are my notes Althaea.  They should prove useful.

From the looks of it, Sebastian was trying very hard to be nice, but hating every second of it.
Sand
 player, 55 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 16:02
0: Leaving Already?
Sand thanks you for names. Did hunters have long leg animals with them? Chariot to bring back food?
Takmarin
 GM, 112 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 17:13
0: Leaving Already?
No, they do not bring animals or a wagon with them.  The animals are a liability and could attract predators.  The wagon is too cumbersome to navigate in the harsh, erratic environment.
Sand
 player, 56 posts
 Warforged
 Battle Smith artificier
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 18:45
0: Leaving Already?
Sand nodded, remembering how much trouble he had bringing back the ponies to Vertigo. He was satisfied with the answers given, so he rose, disturbing Scamp that was napping on his shoulder during the discussion, the mechanical bird taking flight, hooting.

Sand thinks Sand has enough information to start search for hunters. Are others ready to start search?
Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 84 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 19:43
0: Leaving Already?
I just need to collect my packs from the room and I will also be ready. I shall meet you back here in roughly five minutes.

I stood up while I waited for confirmation from everyone, then walked out the door toward the room I shared with everyone.
Mathorn
 player, 42 posts
 Elven Ranger
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 19:52
0: Leaving Already?
Thorn fell into step just behind Althaea as she departed. "Might we speak?" she inquired quietly, glancing back at the others. "Privately."

This message was last updated by the player at 19:52, Tue 28 July 2020.

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 85 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 21:04
0: Leaving Already?
Due to arriving before the others, I knew the network of caves better than they did. I led Thorn to a mostly vacant room, one half was still used for storage; however, the other half had caved in some time ago and was still unusable.

No one should think to look for us here, what did you wish to speak about?
Mathorn
 player, 43 posts
 Elven Ranger
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 21:36
0: Leaving Already?
Despite requesting this conversation, Thorn struggled to determine the best approach. Althaea's interactions with Sebastian evidenced a temper, which Thorn did not wish to provoke by implying the female was incompetent or dishonest, particularly since she believed neither. Still the question needed to be asked. Perhaps an indirect approach was advisable here?

"I do not understand arcana - not beyond a bit of nature magic anyway," she paused, deciding that maybe if she offered information about less important matters Althaea would consider her forthcoming and not press for answers she didn't wish to give. "But that's just an extension of what already exists - a low thrum of power in the stone waiting to be shaped."

Thorn felt fairly certain she wasn't making any sense. "Your magic," she gestured toward Althaea's flute, "is it able to detect both arcane and divine power? Could a caster be strong or skilled enough cause inaccuracies in your spells?"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:01, Tue 28 July 2020.

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 86 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 22:08
0: Leaving Already?
I thought for a moment, no one had asked me a question like that in quite some time, not since I was in magic lessons and those ended many years ago.

I do not know of any ways that my spells can be altered from their original form without destroying or canceling the entire spell. That does not mean none exist, I just do not know of them. While my magic has both arcane and divine traces, I myself am not knowledgable of arcane things in the same way a wizard is. I do not have to study to learn my spells. For instance, a strong enough wizard can counterspell a spell I may choose to cast, rendering the magic spent but not having any effect. The other form I know of is using a spell to remove the magic of another spell.

I was not sure whether this was the sort of information Thorn was looking for but it was all I knew.

I can help research specifics if you would like? I would imagine that Sebastian would have kept a library.
Mathorn
 player, 44 posts
 Elven Ranger
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 22:29
0: Leaving Already?
Not a particularly helpful answer, but a truthful one. And Althaea didn't seem offended. Much as she disliked it, Thorn had chosen to confront this problem and she'd not second guess her decision even if it meant being more candid: "Your spell detected no magic on the spider. Yet she's larger. In only two days."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:32, Tue 28 July 2020.

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 87 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 22:37
0: Leaving Already?
I think I understand what you are asking better now. There is a way to hide magic from divination spells, which is what I used on the spider to identify it. However, I am not strong enough to undo it, should that be the case here.
Mathorn
 player, 45 posts
 Elven Ranger
Tue 28 Jul 2020
at 22:45
0: Leaving Already?
"What sort of way?" Thorn inquired, her gaze sharp beneath her hood. "And if you cannot undo it, what alternatives exist?"

This message was last updated by the player at 22:45, Tue 28 July 2020.

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 88 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 00:09
Re: 0: Leaving Already?
I was probably not the person most knowledgeable on the subject here in Vertigo and somehow I am the one being interrogated as if I had done something wrong.

I remember reading something on it in my lessons. I no longer remember the specifics of it; however, the spells are of higher level than I am able to cast. I am willing to help you research the magic when sources are available, if you like?

Have you considered that the spider itself is magic and is not being affected by a spell at all? The spell I cast only tells me of spells affecting a creature. Since it is a creature, the only alternative I can see is to talk to it. Thorin may be able to help you if you do not possess the spell to do so.

Mathorn
 player, 46 posts
 Elven Ranger
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 00:32
Re: 0: Leaving Already?
"Speaking with her is beyond my abilities." Also, likely to be either useless or extremely dangerous. "It's possible that she's magical, of course, but I wouldn't know how to determine that. Exceptional growth rate aside, she appears to be a damhán alla - a common, semi-domesticated breed." She bowed low in apology, "I'll not trouble you again on the subject." And with that Thorn departed, no closer to an answer than before.

This message was last updated by the player at 00:32, Wed 29 July 2020.

Althaea Sylvaranth
 player, 89 posts
 Autumn Eladrin
 Glamour Bard
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 00:37
Re: 0: Leaving Already?
The conversation with Thorn had left me even more curious about her, but also more confused in my original thoughts about her. I shook my head to clear it and went to get my packs. I rejoined the group in the Better Times to depart.
Mathorn
 player, 47 posts
 Elven Ranger
Wed 29 Jul 2020
at 01:16
Re: 0: Leaving Already?
Thorn quickly grabbed the gear which she had never unpacked and made it back to the Better Times Inn before the others. She slipped into the storeroom from which the dark elves had emerged and set the young damhán alla near a small opening in the rubble, giving her a gentle nudge. She doubted the spider would understand her words, but she spoke anyway, her tone quiet and tinged with slight sadness. "It's mostly sealed, but you can still get through."

It had not been an easy decision. Yet logic dictated that something beyond the realm of nature was occurring here and only purest hubris would presume it anything other than a Drow attempt at tracking, spying or entrapment.

And too, if she were wrong and the arachnid ended up on this side of the tunnel by mere coincidence, only selfishness and cruelty would keep her on the surface, an unknown environment where she engendered scorn instead of reverence. "Go home, Little Sister."