Wonders Investigation.   Posted by GM StarMaster.Group: 0
GM StarMaster
 GM, 118 posts
Sat 5 Dec 2020
at 04:49
Re: Wonders Investigation
Stein obviously detects magic in the passage--it simply couldn't exist without magic. In fact, now that the door is open, he can sense the magic circle underneath the plaster. Although he can't see the magic symbols, he can sense them, but the only one that's familiar to him is Duo-Dimension, though he hadn't been aware that there was a symbol to invoke that.

On the other hand, he can't detect any magic at all on the hat painting.
Hardcore Jimmy
 player, 41 posts
 Half-Elf Ranger/Rogue
Sat 5 Dec 2020
at 12:34
Re: Wonders Investigation
In reply to GM StarMaster (msg # 197):

ooc: gm. If it is a 'magic Item', I am going to focus until I can determine the actual abilities or functions of the magic. The idea here is there is speculation on whether these are one time use or not. Stein is making sure he knows for sures before using the one for the hat.
Vogh Kath
 player, 37 posts
 Human Bard/Oracle
Sat 5 Dec 2020
at 14:55
Re: Wonders Investigation
Vogh could argue with the gnome all day but it wouldn't get them anywhere closer to a decision.  Yes, there had been many ideas going about on what they should do and even those who had already run off trying to find some of the wonders.  It definitely was chaos at its best, that is what happens when you get so many different minds together with their own ideas.

"I agree with Lucien, let us get all the command words done first and then we can decide what to do next, though as I said I think it best if we send as many people as we can for every item to have the best chances at recovering the items."
Trickster
 player, 31 posts
 Kitsune Wizard Alchemist
Sun 6 Dec 2020
at 05:38
Re: Wonders Investigation
Trickster had been standing next to Vogh but was now a bit easier to see as the camouflage he was using to loiter shifted and faded. "Could be fun to take them one at a time. The players in a story rarely have the glossary to the chapters. Is it just the tiny letters then?"
Aniyu
 NPC, 45 posts
 Human Winter Witch/Druid
Sun 6 Dec 2020
at 18:57
Re: Wonders Investigation
"This is hardly chaos," the Arctic Druid comments. "True, it does appear a bit chaotic, but that's mostly because we don't have a leader, which, in turn, is because we don't know each other."

"While Ozrus and Hsang may have been a bit hasty in going after the Armor, it was kind of necessary in order to prove to all of us that this Green Star problem was real and the Wonders were real."

"It certainly wasn't necessary for all of us to stick around here to finishing deciphering the writings. Hsang did his part. Remember, the Armor's location was the only one we knew at the time."

"I suppose it does make sense to gather all the command words first, while we can. Let's see what Stein finds out."

GM StarMaster
 GM, 119 posts
Sun 6 Dec 2020
at 21:33
Re: Wonders Investigation
Stein can't really sense that much about the magic circle that was used. There's a combination of conjuration aura and transmutation aura. As he understands magic circles, they normally have to be 'energized' by the wizard (or whoever) created it. Otherwise, it just site there. There's also an aura of divination.

Adding everything up, he's able to 'determine' that the divination aura was what sensed the magic word and then activated the doorway. Since the magic circles do not appear to be energized, there's no magic in the circles, only potential. Unless there's some other symbol in the magic circle that would otherwise negate it, the doors should be able to be opened any time the magic word is said... presumable in front of that painting, not just anywhere in the room.
Cassandra Darkwhisper
 Player, 8 posts
 Investigator Vigilante
Sun 6 Dec 2020
at 22:58
Re: Wonders Investigation
"Sure, that sounds like a good idea," Cassandra says, "just in case."

She sets about using  her two magnifying glasses to read off the other command words.

She moves to the Bracers painting next to the Hat painting, and after adjusting the lens, reads off: "T-H-U-N  Z-A-R  T-H-A-L." (Command words courtesy of the GM!).

Then to the other side of the Hat painting, to the Shield painting: "A-B-R-A-C-A-D-A-B-R-A. Well, that should be easy enough. No subtlety there."

She then moves to the southeast quadrant.

First the Wand painting: "K-L-A-A-T-U  B-A-R-A-D-A  N-I-K-T-O."

Then she re-read the Armor painting, just to be sure, even though it had already worked: "I-N-C-A-N-T-A-T-O," she repeated.

Next up was the Cloak painting: "H-O-C-U-S  P-O-C-U-S  O-U-T-A  F-O-C-U-S. Ha-ha! Someone had a sense of humor with that one!"

Continuing around the compass to the southwest...

The Medallion painting had: "M-A-L-I-K-A-R-I-N-I-A-N. That sounds kind of Elvin."

"This is another 'ha-ha' one," she says as she examines the Staff painting, but double checks herself to be sure: "S-H-A-Z-A-M."

She moved on to the Boots painting and quick read off: "M-A-L-D-O  R-E-M-O-R-A."

And, finally, moving to the northwest, she started with the Gloves painting.

"S-I-M  S-A-L-A  B-I-M," she read off.

"And the Ring painting's word is S-A-L-I-M-A-R  S-A-L-I-D-A-R."

With the last one, the Sword painting, she read out: "K-R-A-K-A-B-A-K-A  K-A-R."

"I'm thinking some of these would be almost impossible to guess."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:59, Sun 06 Dec 2020.

Lucien Soulban
 player, 69 posts
 Human Paladin/Sorcerer
Sun 6 Dec 2020
at 23:06
Re: Wonders Investigation
 Klatuu Barada Nik*sneeze* yeah that's the ticket." he says quite confident that his pronunciation is correct. When nothing happens he shrugs and tries again sneezing again at the end. "Guess that is not my boomstick."

I absolutely had to. Bring on the Necronomicron Ex Mortai I will go get Ash!
Hardcore Jimmy
 player, 43 posts
 Half-Elf Ranger/Rogue
Mon 7 Dec 2020
at 00:11
Re: Wonders Investigation
Stein quirks an eyebrow up at Lucien, but then quickly throws his head back "AHAHAHAH, oh, what a funny one you are, such a brilliant trickster... making us think you would rush onward and potentially waste a resource... perhaps in some effort to selfishly pursue the wonder you desire... oh. what a funny jest!" He then redirects his eyes back to focusing on the magics of the tunnel. A few light clucks and chuckles escape his throat as echoes of his laughter.


"Good thing if it was an actual earnest attempt... it would not actually deprive the greater effort of resources. From what we can see, these pathways use ritual magic, the actual source of power is not entirely clear but whatever the source is... it uses divination to detect the use of the command word and then power is surged into the ritual magic, some kind of magic circle, which is then shaped into play to form the tunnels. Unnerving, something has been informed this whole play has really begun and it's characters are accepting their roles."

Then, turning to everyone else and throwing his hands out to his sides as if greeting applause "YES! it seems the tunnels are safe to use as needed... assuming the source of their power is infinite."
Vogh Kath
 player, 39 posts
 Human Bard/Oracle
Mon 7 Dec 2020
at 08:50
Re: Wonders Investigation
As Cassandra went about the inner chamber and spelling out the words on each painting, Vogh took note of them all.  "Someone write that down for each painting?"  There was no use having to relook at the tiny inscriptions if they didn't need to.

"I think we should vote how we proceed further.  The suggestions so far are 1. We each take a wonder, 2. We send a couple to each one, 3. We all go to each one.  Do we have any other suggestions?"
Tyrol Halverschlagen
 player, 31 posts
 Gnome Alchemist/Rogue
 AC: 29/18/25; HP: 120/120
Mon 7 Dec 2020
at 16:58
Re: Wonders Investigation
"Yes, I've been writing everything down," Tyrol replies to Vogh.

"If only it was that simple! We should also consider where we're going. Some of these places may not be able to handle all of us. The crypt doesn't look like it could have held all of us."

"Okay, so here's the revised list, with the magic words added."


He shows his table to anyone that wants to bother looking at it.

ItemNameWizardDirectionLocationLanguageMagic Word
ARMOR“Steelheart”MistralenaSECrypt of Kaballah KabarDraconicI-N-C-A-N-T-A-T-O
BOOTS“Stiefel”Zama KinduWSWTomb of Zama KinduGigantikM-A-L-D-O R-E-M-O-R-A
BRACERS“Armstrong”Meta ToxNNESpire of the MoonGnollingT-H-U-N Z-A-R T-H-A-L
CLOAK“Ironwind”Wildwind SilverheartSSEOld North RoadSphinktorH-O-C-U-S P-O-C-U-S O-U-T-A F-O-C-U-S
GLOVES“Shockaree”TurambarWNWIce Cave of ParnouthTenguraS-I-M S-A-L-A B-I-M
HAT“Fadeaway”RonkNEDeridor’s TowerGnomishO-A-K-E-E F-A N-O-A-K-E-E
MEDALLION“Rimegar’s Eye”Thermavox the GreatSSWInn of the Golden LionBoggartiM-A-L-I-K-A-R-I-N-I-A-N
RING“Shadora”RavenmaneNWThe RockGoblinygookS-A-L-I-M-A-R S-A-L-I-D-A-R
SHIELD“Bastion”Torgon the RedENEMisty WaterfallCelestialA-B-R-A-C-A-D-A-B-R-A
STAFF“Mysterion”Wizard of the Purple FlameSWLost Remson MineAkloS-H-A-Z-A-M
SWORD“Frostfire”KotokazeiNNWRuins of Kral KagarrakDrow SignK-R-A-K-A-B-A-K-A K-A-R
WAND“Winterchill”Thendara WinterhawkESEField of DreamsDruidicK-L-A-A-T-U B-A-R-A-D-A N-I-K-T-O

"This Tomb of Zama Kindu might not be large enough to hold us, but we don't even know what it is. Same is true for the Spire of the Moon and The Rock. The rest seem like they might be okay.
Lucien Soulban
 player, 72 posts
 Human Paladin/Sorcerer
Mon 7 Dec 2020
at 17:41
Re: Wonders Investigation
 "Sending everyone is just as risky as sending just one person. 2 or 3 folks at most to each spot should be enough. Which means we could get 4 done at a time." the paladin says.
Hardcore Jimmy
 player, 45 posts
 Half-Elf Ranger/Rogue
Tue 8 Dec 2020
at 00:43
Re: Wonders Investigation
In reply to Lucien Soulban (msg # 208):

Stein made a passing glance to all the paintings "at the surface, it seems that the idea for security here was to hide the items more so then to protect the items. one person tried to place them somewhere.... however," he will then look back to the group and pat his breastplate, a few more white grubs shaking loose from his cloak. "we found every pass code, every entrance, and even a small crew of us found one of the locations manually... all within a day. and we should not assume to be the first... 'cycle'... It's possible, likely, that the locations will be able to be tackled by small squads but their security should not be underestimated."

Tim moved from his perch on the wall to a comfortable spot on the ground where he made himself comofrtable enough to nap.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:52, Wed 09 Dec 2020.

Ki'nae Bashemath
 player, 30 posts
 Ifrit Steelfist
 Gunslinger Mystr Stranger
Wed 9 Dec 2020
at 19:36
Re: Wonders Investigation
"Too much talking!" Bash finally speaks up. "Not enough action! And I'm a creature of action, in case you haven't noticed! So now you know that about me!"

She goes over and stands in front of the painting of the Cloak.

"Hocus Pocus Outa Focus," she says excitedly.

If another door opens, she'll turn to the others and say:

"So, who's coming with me?"

She'll wait for a minute to see if anyone else wants to go and then step through the door.

Of course, if it doesn't open, she'll just stand there and scowl at the painting in consternation!
Vogh Kath
 player, 40 posts
 Human Bard/Oracle
Thu 10 Dec 2020
at 10:20
Re: Wonders Investigation
Vogh liked that Ki'nae was about action and as she said another password Vogh went to the spot and would enter if it too opened.

"I will go with you!"  Vogh announced.
GM StarMaster
 GM, 123 posts
Thu 10 Dec 2020
at 23:41
Re: Wonders Investigation
No scowling necessary as a door magically appears and swings open into the tunnel.

Bash steps into it and walks to the other end. She can't really tell if it's the same distance as the other tunnel, but it kind of looks like it. At the other end, there's a rectangle that she looks like a door. She can see through it to the landscape on the other side. All she can really see is an uneven grassy plain with a partially overgrown dirt road going left and right. As near as she can tell from what she can see by the position of the sun that means it goes southeast to northwest.

Vogh follows right behind her.
Lucien Soulban
 player, 73 posts
 Human Paladin/Sorcerer
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 17:54
Re: Wonders Investigation
Lucien stands in front of the sword and intones "Krakabaka Kar" and looks around at his erstwhile cohorts "Anyone coming?" Regardless of the answer he steps through and draws his long sword and shield as he does so.
Hardcore Jimmy
 player, 46 posts
 Half-Elf Ranger/Rogue
Sat 12 Dec 2020
at 06:02
Re: Wonders Investigation
Oh but the scowl shows itself anyways, on Steins face. "ah, there it is, I suppose we can all just run off in a grab for artifacts. nevermind coordination and communication, then."

He will then turn to the painting he is standing at, give it a quick look... then look to tim, then back to those moving to a tunnel... and then finally he will turn towards the nearest exit to the building and make way to it.

"Taking a scenic route. If we are needed, let Tim know."

-Exiting and making way towards Deridor’s Tower-
Kurat
 player, 49 posts
 Hobgoblin Monk/Wizard
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 15:45
Re: Wonders Investigation
"I will go with whoever thinks they will need me," Kurat said waiting to see which group wanted him.
Lucien Soulban
 player, 75 posts
 Human Paladin/Sorcerer
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 17:28
Re: Wonders Investigation
OOC:Lucien could use the help not gonna lie, but you don't have to.
Tyrol Halverschlagen
 player, 32 posts
 Gnome Alchemist/Rogue
 AC: 29/18/25; HP: 120/120
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 18:51
Re: Wonders Investigation
"That's really up to you, Kurat," Tyrol offers. "If any particular Wonder grabs your fancy, you can head off to that one. Either join one of the others, or pick one of your own."

"We're not really that organized. On the other hand, we haven't seen any particular need for organization. Not all of us are built that way."

Aniyu
 NPC, 47 posts
 Human Winter Witch/Druid
 AC: 20/16/16; HP: 100/100
Tue 15 Dec 2020
at 20:26
Re: Wonders Investigation
Aniyu didn't perceive the current situation as chaotic. A lack of dedicated organization was not the same thing.

He'd already been on a mini-excursion with Lucien when they did reconnaissance on the volcano, so he had a basic knowledge of the fellow. Perhaps it was better if someone else accompanied Lucien.

He waited to see if anyone else wanted to go.

"We could easily go after six of them right now. There are enough of us," Aniyu speaks up. "That presumes each group is successful."
Cassandra Darkwhisper
 Player, 10 posts
 Investigator Vigilante
Wed 16 Dec 2020
at 17:37
Re: Wonders Investigation
Cassandra spent a few minutes looking around at all the paintings, even the ones that now had open doorways. She honestly couldn't say she had a preference for chasing after one of them in particular,

It occurred to her that none of the items might actually be what they appeared to be. It seemed rather odd that even Esmeralda could foresee just who would show up when the time came.

"Well, if no one else wants to go, I'll go help Lucien," she told those that remained. She then stepped through the door that he'd gone through.
Kurat
 player, 50 posts
 Hobgoblin Monk/Wizard
Wed 16 Dec 2020
at 23:55
Re: Wonders Investigation
"Foolish to go as single twigs, A single twig is easily broken. Take several in your hands and try to break them at once though and the strength of many holds them together," Kurat counseled, "Individually we will be picked off...."

He looked over at the staff, staves often had great power. Still he didn't think it wise that they were breaking up into small groups. The Paladin while certainly possessing some courage seemed also to be a bit brash, still before he left he had asked for help. Kurat would go help him he decided.

He called to Cassandra, "I'll come with you.". He moved to the door and went through as well.
Tyrol Halverschlagen
 player, 33 posts
 Gnome Alchemist/Rogue
 AC: 29/18/25; HP: 120/120
Thu 17 Dec 2020
at 20:53
Re: Wonders Investigation
"That makes a lot of sense, Kurat," Tyrol says as Kurat steps into the portal.

"Of course, that depends on what you are using the twig for, I guess."

He looks around the chamber and realizes that there are only three of them left--him, Chess ala'riina and Trickster.

"So, what do you two want to do? Do you want to stay here and hold down the fort, or should be go after another of the Wonders?"

Just as he says that, a bunch of monkeys come scrambling out of the tunnel to the Crypt.