Act I: Pandora's Box.   Posted by Game MUTHUR.Group: 0
Rye
 Roughneck, 64 posts
 Technician
Thu 6 Aug 2020
at 03:27
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Having removed and stowed her suit, Rye thanks Davis:
"No, I'm a coffee person. And just had three, thanks."
Wilson
 Company Agent, 37 posts
 Corporate Liaison
Thu 6 Aug 2020
at 12:48
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Wilson came back to the bridge with 2 coffees to a bunch of chatter. She looked at Davis with a curious look as she handed the pilot one of the mugs.

  "Here, I hope it's good enough, it will as least perk you up. " She looked at the comm; "sounds like something going on out there?" She sighed, "guess it was foolish to think this was going to be easy. "

Miller's voice then came over the comm. Juliet looked at Davis questioningly, then shrugged and hit the button. "Sure Captain, I can do that, I hope everything alright out there. "

Juliet took a seat as Davis rose to leave.  "Go see what the hell is wrong with her. God, see, this is what happens when people try and be cheap with meals. And Ms. Davis, DON'T take no for an answer; we need this crew alert and functional."

When Davis left, Wilson settled in and  contacted Miller. "Miller, Davis is on her way to deal with Rye. I'll watch things here till she returns. "

 She then sipped her coffee and stared at the rather huge problem looming right in front of them.  Jesus, why did all big opportunities have to be such a pain in the ass?
Miller
 Officer, 42 posts
 Captain
Thu 6 Aug 2020
at 13:23
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
The captain pauses a moment, surprised, but not so long that Cham might worry. They double-check the private channel and reply. An urgent flash indicates the ship is talking to them and Miller flips over to catch what the current bridge operators have to say.

"...Thank you, Wilson. Did Davis leave those plans handy to see how long it'd take to swing around?"
Cham
 Roughneck, 43 posts
 Cargo Handler
Thu 6 Aug 2020
at 16:43
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Cham wrapped it up quick.

"Back on Open." Cham finished, to all.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:45, Thu 06 Aug.

Wilson
 Company Agent, 38 posts
 Corporate Liaison
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 02:07
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
In reply to Miller (msg # 136):

 Wilson shook her head realizing at the last minute it was silly to do so since the captain could not see the action. "No Captain, she mentioned nothing to me. She might have been doing it, but the whole thing with Rye kind of surprised us and she scrambled to get to the airlock.  She has the schematics open, hold on let me see. "

 A minute or 2 passes then Wilson says. "Looks like there are 6 other airlocks. One on C deck near the front, probably somewhat under where you currently are.  Four are on D deck, one by each of the four engine pods, probably for maintenance; and there is the one for D deck's vehicle bay.  Where you currently are, the C deck one might be your best bet to try."

Game MUTHUR
 GM, 47 posts
 MU/TH/UR
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 05:03
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
***

As Wilson mentioned, there are 5 other airlocks and the very large vehicle bay that lowers like a ramp.  The one on Deck C is the termination of Junction 1 that runs vertically from the main airlock on Deck A down through decks B and C.

The four airlocks on Deck D and the one on C are in such awkward positions that it would be impossible to extend an umbilical to them.  They can be spacewalked to however, this will require a MOBILITY roll.

A space as large as the vehicle bay would need to be depressurized before opening, otherwise whatever is in there will blow out the opening and be a danger to anyone in the vicinity.  Think flying ATV's.

Also at this point, Cham has been outside for at least a Turn (5-10 mins).
Make an Air Supply roll, please.  (Roll 1D6.  If the roll is a 1, then the air supply drops from 5 to 4.)
Cham
 Roughneck, 44 posts
 Cargo Handler
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 05:14
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
01:13, Today: Cham rolled 6 using 1d6.  Air Supply.
Davis
 Pilot, 23 posts
 Pilot
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 17:31
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Davis assumed Rye didn't want to talk about it, whatever 'it' was, and she made her way back to the bridge in time to hear Wilson relaying other options to ingress the Cronos to the captain. "Thanks, Wilson" she said somewhat sheepishly.

'Got to get your shit together, sister; get your priorities in order! Focus' she inaudibly chastises herself as she takes to her pilot seat once more.
Wilson
 Company Agent, 39 posts
 Corporate Liaison
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 21:14
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
  "Oh," Juliet said, surprised to see Ms. Davis come back so quickly. "I thought you would be gone longer, is Ms. Rye alright? I really hope she is listening to the captain's orders. "


"Miller," Wilson relayed over, "Davis is back, I'll give the comms over to her and you two can work out which airlock you want to try next."

 She got up from where she was sitting amd grabbed her mug. "I'll go check on Rye to make sure she's ok, someone's gotta watch you people like a hawk, Company time you know." Humor from the Company Rep was a little odd, but Wilson saw it as a way to try and relieve tension. Whether it worked or not was anyone's guess.

Heading off the bridge, Juliet went back to the galley to see what their crewmember was doing.
Miller
 Officer, 43 posts
 Captain
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 21:46
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
"That C-airlock look to be easy walking distance?" Miller asks the ship. On learning that is is, the captain addresses Cham: "All right, come up here and let me get down there first, with the harpoon - if anyone's going to fuck up and put holes in 'er, it ought to be me. Ship, send Rye back out as soon as she's finished whatever - Cham, you two catch me up as soon as, right? I'll get a line laid out to follow."

Positions swapped, Miller awkwardly bumps down the umbilical with line and gun and slips under the loosened seal. They proceed to fuck up, royally.


Miller's comms being generally open, the others shortly hear a "Whoops. Shit." ...and then a really strange sort of laugh that's almost a whimper, a swell of hysteria rising under it that's truly horrible to hear, the moreso since no-one can see what's going on.

"Ahahahahahaaha...shitshitshitshit..."

It is, in fact, the laugh of someone whose glove has just passed within perhaps 0.8cm of the grabbable exterior of the umbilical, moments after swinging one leg forward without realising the other was on the non-magnetic part of the seal, meaning they were attached to nothing save the cable clipped to the umbilical's ladder. A cable that might very rapidly fray against the umbilical's inner edge with their mass pulling it taut.


[[22:00, Today: Miller rolled 9 using 4d6 with rolls of 1,1,5,2.  Mobility
22:02, Today: Miller rolled 15 using 4d6 with rolls of 4,5,2,4.  Pushed roll.
22:03, Today: Miller rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  stress die.
22:05, Today: Miller rolled 7 using 1d6+1.  Panic!

So...MUTHUR, do I need to make some sort of Strength/somersaulting/harpooning/not blasting self into the depths of interstellar space roll here, or...uh...do Cham and Davis just have to listen to Miller die horribly?]]

Davis
 Pilot, 24 posts
 Pilot
Fri 7 Aug 2020
at 21:59
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Miller:
"That C-airlock look to be easy walking distance?" Miller asks the ship. </Orange>


"Roger that, cap'n", Davis replies

Miller:
Ship, send Rye back out as soon as she's finished whatever


"Aye, aye, cap'n", the pilot responds, and then hits the intercom: Rye, this is Davis. Captain requests your immediate assistance at C-airlock, repeat... C-airlock... Wilson? Would be obliged if you could furnish Rye with the assitance and motivation needed! This is your Pilot wishing you a happy whatever-day-this-is. Out

Davis pirouttes in her chair and hears the pill box rattle with the ear of her mind, at least.
Game MUTHUR
 GM, 48 posts
 MU/TH/UR
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 00:31
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Panic table...number 7.  Miller is on an open channel so within earshot of everyone.
Everybody take 1 point of STRESS.
Game MUTHUR
 GM, 50 posts
 MU/TH/UR
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 00:54
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Miller:
It is, in fact, the laugh of someone whose glove has just passed within perhaps 0.8cm of the grabbable exterior of the umbilical, moments after swinging one leg forward without realizing the other was on the non-magnetic part of the seal, meaning they were attached to nothing save the cable clipped to the umbilical's ladder. A cable that might very rapidly fray against the umbilical's inner edge with their mass pulling it taut.


[[22:00, Today: Miller rolled 9 using 4d6 with rolls of 1,1,5,2.  Mobility
22:02, Today: Miller rolled 15 using 4d6 with rolls of 4,5,2,4.  Pushed roll.
22:03, Today: Miller rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  stress die.
22:05, Today: Miller rolled 7 using 1d6+1.  Panic!

So...MUTHUR, do I need to make some sort of Strength/somersaulting/harpooning/not blasting self into the depths of interstellar space roll here, or...uh...do Cham and Davis just have to listen to Miller die horribly?]]


The cable snaps taught but holds, causing a counter-rotation back towards the edge of the umbilical.  Miller flails as the Montero and Cronus trade places outside the dome of his helmet.

***
Nothing dire.  Feel free to vomit, however.
Rye
 Roughneck, 65 posts
 Technician
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 01:18
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Rye answers Davis, hitting the intercom the button:
"Thank you for the information."

+1 Stress

Letting the GM take Rye over from here.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:26, Sat 08 Aug.

Miller
 Officer, 48 posts
 Captain
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 09:16
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Those listening can hear the captain's breath coming increasingly fast with panic that's pushed beyond even oaths, and a few high whimpering sounds.  Then there's a thump and more ragged breaths, still loud but with more even spacing, occasionally caught and held as Miller tries to regain control without using all the air.

Eventually, after a few seconds that sound like hours to those who've just hear the captain nearly die, Miller clears their throat and speaks, if somewhat hoarsely. "Technical hitch, just...going to take a bit longer...give me a moment. Shit."
Davis
 Pilot, 25 posts
 Pilot
Sat 8 Aug 2020
at 13:40
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Miller's panic hits Davis like bad acid. "K, Captain, you ok?... what happened? What can I do?.. Report.. please"

+1 stress

This message was last edited by the player at 13:40, Sat 08 Aug.

Wilson
 Company Agent, 41 posts
 Corporate Liaison
Sun 9 Aug 2020
at 10:06
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
 Wilson, being in the galley, checks on Rye, making sure she is getting some food into her.

She looked the woman over. "Don't give me any lip about it being expensive Ms. Rye." Walking over to the dispenser, Juliet hit a few buttons. "Here, this one's free," she said as food was deposited onto the tray. She placed it in front of the woman along with some coffee. "The last thing we need is someone messing up out there, now eat up, rep's orders."

A sound from up the corridor caught Wilson's attention. "Hmmm, sounds like some commotion, wonder what's happening out there. I'll go see if Ms. Davis needs any help, she may if they're trying another airlock." 

 Heading back up to the bridge, Juliet saw that Davis looked nervous and a little pale.

"Ms. Davis what happened, is everything alright out there?"
Miller
 Officer, 49 posts
 Captain
Sun 9 Aug 2020
at 12:21
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
There's a bit more hard, half-held breathing from Miller, then a steadier reply: "Just fucked up getting out from under the umbilical and nearly hurled myself into space, that's all," they respond, biting down on a laugh that's part nerves, part relief. "I didn't, though! You can tell me how many metres it is down to the Chronos' Airlock C whilst I lie on the umbilical here and whimper for a bit."

"Think I'll wait for the others to be a bit closer before attempting that again."
There's a few seconds' pause as Miller becomes a little more aware of the universe beyond Davis' voice and their own pounding heart. "...sorry Cham," they add.
Cham
 Roughneck, 49 posts
 Cargo Handler
 1 Stress
Sun 9 Aug 2020
at 13:55
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
"s'okay."

Cham tried to compose himself. There were complications to going to help, there were complications to staying. So, Cham, apparently, got back into gear as best he could.

"What's the plan?" No 'Cap' or 'boss' or any other honorifics. The tone indicated he knew whatever was next was going to be bad, so pep-talks to get him to do it were unecessary.
Davis
 Pilot, 27 posts
 Pilot
Sun 9 Aug 2020
at 21:38
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Davis turns to see Wilson arrive back on the bridge as Miller responds to her panicked pleas for an update

<quote Miller>
"Just fucked up getting out from under the umbilical and nearly hurled myself into space, that's all... I didn't, though! You can tell me how many metres it is down to the Chronos' Airlock C whilst I lie on the umbilical here and whimper for a bit."

"Think I'll wait for the others to be a bit closer before attempting that again."


"Roger that. Ok, Cargo deck airlock is rear of the cronus, approximatley 30 metres in a straight line of your current position" A pause, and then "... be careful K, alright?"

For a moment Davis sits and stares into the cold infinity of space. She shivers and then turns to Wilson - "what gives with Rye?"
Wilson
 Company Agent, 42 posts
 Corporate Liaison
Mon 10 Aug 2020
at 21:18
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box


  Wilson hears the pilot's response to Miller, it sounded like they were trying for another airlock. She was kind of annoyed that Davis didn't answer her question, but the pilot seemed a little shaken up so Juliet let it slide and answered her question.

 "Ms. Rye is in the galley hopefully eating the food I placed in front of her. Once she feels better, we'll see about sending her back out with the others.." Wilson pointed to the intercom; "did they work out how they're going to get into the ship? After all these years who knows what works on that thing anymore. "
Davis
 Pilot, 28 posts
 Pilot
Mon 10 Aug 2020
at 23:02
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Wilson:
  Wilson... was kind of annoyed that Davis didn't answer her question, but the pilot seemed a little shaken up so Juliet let it slide and answered her question.


ooc: Wilson - Davis thought you overheard the transmission - sorry :-)

"Yeah, plan is to enter via c-deck airlock. Prefer to be here to be honest" Davis smiles anxiously.
Miller
 Officer, 52 posts
 Captain
Tue 11 Aug 2020
at 12:29
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Cham:
"s'okay."

Cham tried to compose himself. There were complications to going to help, there were complications to staying. So, Cham, apparently, got back into gear as best he could.

"What's the plan?" No 'Cap' or 'boss' or any other honorifics. The tone indicated he knew whatever was next was going to be bad, so pep-talks to get him to do it were unecessary.


"When you have a fed and hopefully less grumbly Rye with you, come out carefully along this line, untangling it from where it's caught there, and I'll shove the loose bit your way so you can tug me down to the hull. Then we'll strategise."
Which might mean he had to take point, but with two people boots-to-hull as anchors 30 paces shouldn't be too bad (if he could forget that panicked little laugh).

"...being careful, ship. Sorry 'bout that." Miller checks their air. They'd taken a fair bit n panicking, but not enough to significantly lessen their time out. Small mercies.


[[13:08, Today: Miller rolled 2 using 1d6.  Air. Close but stable.]]
Wilson
 Company Agent, 43 posts
 Corporate Liaison
Wed 12 Aug 2020
at 04:28
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
In reply to Davis (msg # 155):

Wilson nodded in agreement to Davis's comment. "you and me both Ms. Davis. I will leave space-walking to the experts."

 She peered out the viewport, but of course could see nothing of the crew. "Well I hope they make it in. It will make a really sad excuse to have tell my superiors that we could not get into the ship because we could not figure out how to get an airlock open."
Miller
 Officer, 56 posts
 Captain
Fri 14 Aug 2020
at 11:53
Re: Act I: Pandora's Box
Once Cham had a fed and marginally less grumbly Rye with him, the pair came out carefully along the line, untangling it from where it was caught and even more carefully retrieving the captain. Once the magnetic soles of Miller's boots were down firmly to the hull once more they had Rye clip the other end of the line to herself, being the most agile with the lowest centre of gravity, an ironic advantage out here, and lead the trio down to C airlock.

"...all right, we're there," Miller reports to the ship, helping get the line tied own. With 20m of slack anyone nervous could wind it about themselves for some sense of security. "Can opening take two."