Counting Padans to Zodanga.   Posted by Jeddak.Group: 0
Demetrius Esper
 player, 98 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sat 2 Jan 2021
at 02:36
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 2
Demetrius looks down at the pile of corpses at his feet and snorts. "This is getting to be a habit," he comments. "If I ever make it back to New York, gotta remember not to get into a bar fight." He picks up the rifle and swings around, looking for any enemies to shoot while his companions free slaves.
Jeddak
 GM, 104 posts
 Threat: 5
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 21:47
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Pleased with himself and his companion's fighting prowess, Demetrius is shocked when a ripple flows along the floor of the wagon.  There is a sudden tilt and a resounding sound of grinding, it is nearly impossible not to be thrown from your feet.  Ducet Cog slides along the floor in surprise, away from Nantas, before impacting a crate and yelping in surprise and pain.

The murmur and groans of injury and fear rise around you from those still caged.  Slowly you recognize that the sounds of combat around the wagon have also grown lower though an occasional radium round rings out.  Picking yourselves up and surveying from the height of the 3rd story you recognize that the caravan is destroyed and a swarm of green bodies now covers the smaller vehicles.  So too a wave rushes into the lowest level of the wagon, undoubtable they will work their way up to you in good time.

Friend or another foe you cannot say.  But what will you do in the moments before you find out?

We are out of combat/Turns.

Describe how you will meet these Green Men or any actions or words you have with your companions

Nantas
 player, 99 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 22:07
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Nantes looks at the metal of these Green Men, to understand if they are from friendly tribes or not.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 99 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 22:44
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Demetrius leaps through the air and lands next to Nantas, his rifle at the ready. "Oi--are these friends or foes, Nantas?"
Nantas
 player, 100 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 6 Jan 2021
at 13:04
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Nantes, by the way, checks out the metal of his new allies, to understand which tribe they are from as well. Maybe the Green Men out there are the same tribe.

You easily recognize that the pair of Green Men you freed and who fought with you against the slavers are both Tharks.

Likewise you also know that the raiders who have disabled the caravan are also Tharks.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:48, Wed 13 Jan.

Jeddak
 GM, 106 posts
 Threat: 5
Wed 13 Jan 2021
at 03:31
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
With moments now to recover you find that the injuries of your companions and new acquaintances are minor.  The pair of Tharks introduce themselves as Losa Dhamit and her companion Tal Ptomj, both are in a jovial mood after a rousing battle and the view of the continued slaughter being waged by their clan against their captors.  Nantas is certain the Green Men would enjoy slaughter of any opponent, not just those that had wronged them, but whether he shares this knowledge with the newcomer Demetrius or not is his own choice.

Ducet Cog is caught between the relief of freedom of his cell and the fear of having fallen into something much worse.  "What will the savage Green Men do with us?  Stories are ripe with the cruelty of their treatment to slaves and enemies.  With the slavers there was at least hope that I might be sold to a decent house.  But what hope have we now in the hands of the Tharks?"

Several prisoners in nearby cells appear to have come to a similar conclusion and their own moans and wails rise.  Neither Losa nor Tal assuage Ducet's fears.

Aeryn slides close and cautions, "It was fortunate that you chose to free the Tharks and that they yet live.  Losa and Tal will be in your debt and you might use that to gain our freedom."

The sounds of radium rounds and steel on steel draws closer as it also becomes fewer, confirmation that few slavers remain alive.  Soon this level of the wagon is awash with giant greenmen, many a frenzy with bloodlust, others raising happy cries to find Losa and Tal alive.  As Aeryn predicted, Losa and Tal forbid any harm to you from their tribesmen and describe your skills in swordsmanship in defeating any slaves who dared challenge you.

The Tharks warriors appear unmoved but do not threaten you further.  Instead they begin ransacking the wagon, taking slaves for themselves and leaving some still locked in their cells if they are unwanted.

"We should go," Aeryn suggests.

"Yes! Yes!" Ducet Cog agrees, "The sooner the better."  You notice he has not left Nantas' shadow since he picked himself up from the upheaval of the wagon's halt.  Apparently he had determined the safest location for the moment was with the giant green man that had freed him.

But to go implies a direction.  You are in the middle of the wasteland and all but Demetrius who is still new to Barsoom can affirm that it is days or weeks to trek to another city.  Yet you do have grateful allies so your options are not as dire as they might otherwise be.

What will you do?
Nantas
 player, 101 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 13 Jan 2021
at 15:49
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Nantes warmly salutes the two Green Martians that fought besides him, then he tries remembering what other relevant places may me nearby and in the meanwhile says: "Do you still want to see how Zodanga looks like you you change your mind?"

This message was last edited by the player at 15:50, Wed 13 Jan.

Jeddak
 GM, 107 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 04:49
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
The red woman nods, "Zodanga seems the likely destination where Patterson was taken."

Ducet Cog raises no objection, whether because he favors Zodanga or simply desires any location not heavily populated with murderous Tharks is unclear.
Nantas
 player, 103 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 19:22
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Nantes tries collecting as much food and water he can from the caravan of his original captors, without taking too many risks, and leads in the direction of Zodanga, or anyway in the direction that the caravan was going.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 102 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 20:46
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Demtrius nods. "To Zodanga we go. Come, Nantas, I'll help carry some things."

He helps Nantas find water, in particular, and carries as much as he can find in two minutes or less, and then begins moving with the others toward the city.
Jeddak
 GM, 108 posts
 Threat: 5
Wed 20 Jan 2021
at 05:18
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
You set about gathering items for your journey across the ancient sea bed of Barsoom.  Tharks are busy ransacking the caravan, some eye you with suspicion as word is slow to spread of your deeds for the tribe, but their primary focus is on slaves (and killing Warhoon, ah if only there were any here!) and there is ample provisions and equipment for the taking.

Soon you each have satchels of supplies. There are also ample swords, pistols and rifles available from dead slavers which you may choose.

Losa waves to you just as you make ready to leave the ruins of the caravan.

Please make an D1 Empathy + Passion roll

If there is anything in particular you would like name it an roll Reason + (Might or Passion), I'll decide difficulty base on item

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:29, Wed 20 Jan.

Nantas
 player, 104 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 20 Jan 2021
at 20:41
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
[OOC: 20:38, Today: Nantas rolled 10 using 2d20 with rolls of 9,1.  Empathy 3; Passion 4.]

Nantes already picked up two swords during his escape, so he just hangs on to them.
Is there anything that looks like binoculars? they may be useful in the desert. Nantes by far prefers his swords, but he will pick up a good rifle and some ammo as well, if he can find one, as it can be useful for hunting in the desert on the way to Zodanga.

[OOC: 20:41, Today: Nantas rolled 14 using 2d20 with rolls of 9,5.  Reason 4; Might 6.]

This message was last edited by the player at 20:42, Wed 20 Jan.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 103 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 00:30
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Demetrius takes a rifle, two swords, at least 10 shots o ammunition, at least a day's food and then loads himself up with as much water as he can carry.

19:28, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 7,9 using 1d20,1d20 with rolls of 7,9.  Empathy+Passion 8/4.

Jeddak
 GM, 109 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 03:07
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Waving you over Losa acknowledges, "As you mean to take your leave of us know that Tal and I are in your debt.  Our Teedwar commanding the attack did state that the rifles of the upper decks held our attack at bay initially but when the guns suddenly went silent they were able to mount a fierce assault that disabled the main wagon."

Holding her hands in a manner similar to a shrug she adds, "We believe your defeat of the riflemen may have played a role in today's victory, though none can say for certain.  Still I would aid you in your journey if I may."

"See there, the pair of thoats still attached to the disabled guard wagon,"
Losa points to a destroyed cart which had been pulled by a pair of large, eight-legged beasts.  The creatures snorted and shook but could not free themselves from the wagon which lay on its side after suffering major damage, "The thoats of the Red Man are smaller than ours and ill favored for riding by our people though they can often be used for baggage.  Tal has claimed this pair and we offer them to you in repayment for freeing us.  It is not uncommon for slavers to being to execute their captives if it appears they will be captured.  Were it not for you we might lay dead in our cell even though our tribesmen did finally take the caravan."

As a green man Nantas is familiar with riding wild thoats which his people dominate with violence and cruelty, impressing their will upon the creatures with regular beatings.  These though are noticeably smaller than ones he is used to but not so much that he cannot ride them.  They seem less cantankerous than wild thoats yet would clearly injury or kill anyone who cannot master them.  Nantas knows he will have no trouble riding one.

The rest of your group, however, has no experience riding these beasts.  Still, they will make the trek to Zodanga much easier and faster if someone can master riding them.

If you accept the thoats each can carry 2 riders.   If Nantas rides one, who will ride with him?  Who will attempt to master the 2nd thoat?

To get the beast under control and accept its rider will require a Passion + (Empathy or Might) depending whether you will use kindness or brutality to dominate the thoat.

Nantas can assist in this test - roll 1d20

Nantas - field glasses are available but rare and highly sought after, unfortunately you do not find any during your search

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:22, Thu 21 Jan.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 104 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 23:10
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Demetrius bows. "I am happy to accept your gift. May we fight together against a common foe again someday," he offers.

He turns to his companions. "So, anyone here good at coaxing beasts? I can beat one of these as needed, but I've never been a world-class rider."

Will ride the beast if nobody here has a higher Passion score.
Jeddak
 GM, 110 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 21 Jan 2021
at 23:41
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
"Definitely not I", Ducet Cog cringes, eying the creatures with distrust.

Aeryn tilts her head as she regards the beasts, "I'm more comfortable in a flyer than a saddle," she admits, "but I'd rather learn to ride than walk the rest of the way to Zodanga."

Change of plans, this will be an extended test!  Because I want to try this out and seems dramatic when I picture it.

The rider will need to accumulate 6 Successes to fully master the art of controlling the thoat.

D1 test, Momentum generated can either be banked or used to count toward the success threshold.

If no successes are rolled, the thoat gets an attack on its rider.

If a Complication is rolled the rider may be partially dislodged or otherwise have an increased difficulty, maybe the beast charges through the crowds or something.

Aeryn can use Passion + Empathy, 11-/5-
Thoat will resist will Passion + Cunning, 9-/4-

Do you want her to try or will Demetrius give it a go?

Either way it should be interesting :)

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:42, Fri 22 Jan.

Nantas
 player, 105 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 22 Jan 2021
at 22:09
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Nantas gives thanks for the gifts and the treatment just briefly bowing his head and smiling, then he gets on with the thoats and climbs on top of the closest one, trying to impose his will on the beast.

[OOC: 22:05, Today: Nantas rolled 19 using 2d20 with rolls of 18,1.  Passion 4; Might 6.]
Demetrius Esper
 player, 106 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 03:14
Re: Nighttime Raid - Turn 3
Demetrius defers to the lovely Aeryn.

My total is a whopping 8/4, so definitely letting Aeryn give it a whirl. If I can assist somehow, though, I will.
Jeddak
 GM, 111 posts
 Threat: 5
Sun 24 Jan 2021
at 22:27
Learning to Ride
Nantas mounts his chosen thaot with no trouble, only a pair of kicks and the beast is his to command.  Slashing the straps which tether it to the wagon he moves to the side to provide the next of his companions room to claim the remainder.

When Demetrius defers the thoat to her, a hint of a smile tugs at Aeryn's cheek but she says nothing.  She finds handfuls of the yellow moss-like vegetation growing abundantly nearby and approaches her chosen mount.  Nantas is suspect of the scout's tactic but the creature appears to calm slightly and takes large mouthfuls of the familiar foodstuff.

Climbing atop the beast, Aeryn seats herself as best she can.  She sits a moment, mentally communicating with the thoat; imparting her will to it.  Then drawing her blade, she favors her companions with a nervous smile and frees the beast as Nantas had.

16:17, Today: Aeryn Arj rolled 14 using 2d20 with rolls of 5,9.  Control thoat, Passion + Empathy, 11-/5-.
- 3 successes

16:17, Today: Jeddak rolled 23 using 2d20 with rolls of 7,16.  Thoat will resist will Passion + Cunning, 9-/4-.
- 1 success

Aeryn manages 2 successes which she'll apply towards gaining complete control of the thoat

Control progress - 2/6


The creature recognizes it is free.  It starts forward with a jerk which Aeryn is not prepared for but quickly recovers from as she begins to learn the way the creature moves.  She makes soft, cooing sounds in addition to the mental commands and pats the creature.  The thoat slows, looks to both sides, seeming unsure.

You hear mummers are realize nearby green men are pausing in their tasks to ransack the caravan.  Several point and appear to be making wagers, some laugh at the red woman's unsteady control.

Nantas if you wish to aid Aeryn it will be 1d20 against your Passion + Empathy since that's the approach Aeryn went with to control the thoat.

Regardless, what is everyone doing?

Nantas
 player, 106 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 25 Jan 2021
at 22:33
Learning to Ride
Nantes is curious to see how Aeryn manages the situation by herself. It is difficult to say if he's smiling or not, with that big tusks protruding from his mouth.

[OOC: better not... Passion and Empathy for sure are not my forte :)   ]

Totally your call.  Failing to get a success would not cause any problem....I'm not 100% sure rolling a Complication would either but it might be fun :)

[OOC: I changed my mind as I (wrongly) remembered that a failure would be an issue for the people you were trying to help, but I understand from your message that this is not the case.

Anyway
23:00, Today: Nantas rolled 17 using 1d20 with rolls of 17.  Passion 4, Empathy 3.
in this case it doesn't make any difference...]

This message was last edited by the player at 23:02, Tue 26 Jan.

Jeddak
 GM, 114 posts
 Threat: 5
Wed 3 Feb 2021
at 03:24
Learning to Ride
The red woman spends the next 10 Xat's (approximately 20 Earth minutes) getting the feel for her mount as Nantas supervises.  Once she has gained some confidence it is time to increase the pace.  Concentrating she attempts a trot around some wreckage and back again.

21:01, Today: Aeryn Arj rolled 36 using 2d20 with rolls of 17,19.  Control thoat, Passion + Empathy, 11-/5-.
- no successes, uh oh

21:02, Today: Jeddak rolled 6 using 2d20 with rolls of 5,1.  Thoat will resist will Passion + Cunning, 9-/4-.
- 3 successes, thoat will add 2 Doom

GM will spend 2 Threat to add a Complication!


Since Aeryn had no successes so the thoat gets an attack.  It will use Cunning + Passion as it demonstrates it's will is strong and will not be tamed.

21:16, Today: Jeddak rolled 22 using 2d20 with rolls of 10,12.  Thoat attack with Cunning + Passion, 9/4-.
- no successes

Aeryn resists with Darring + Passion, she is unafraid of the wild ride and the power of the beast
21:18, Today: Aeryn Arj rolled 15 using 2d20 with rolls of 12,3.  Resists with Darring + Passion, 13/5-.
- 3 successes, she'll add to her Momentum pool


With a loud bray the thoat's trot becomes and uncontrolled gallop!  Aeryn hangs on as her mount charges forward as the cries of angry Tharks rise around her along with a chorus of heartless laughs.  The scout grins widely as she mentally struggles to regain control of her thoat.

Aeryn will need 2 successes for her next test due to the Complication.

The situation threatens to become serious.  The savage green men might laugh if one of their own were trampled by an uncontrolled thoat.....OR they might become enraged that a red martian ran their brethren down?  Who can say?

Nantas perhaps you can assist and help Aeryn regain control?

Aeryn Momentum: 3
Threat Pool: 0

Nantas
 player, 107 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 3 Feb 2021
at 19:06
Learning to Ride
Nantes laughs louder than anybody else around, showing off his growing status, then he shrugs and gallops to the rescue of the damsel in distress.

[OOC: 19:05, Today: Nantas rolled 3 using 1d20 with rolls of 3.  Passion 4, Empathy 3. a good roll!]
Jeddak
 GM, 117 posts
 Threat: 5
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 01:44
Learning to Ride
As Tharks move quickly aside of the charing thaot Aeryn lays forward and rubs the beast above its eyes and ears.  Mentally she remains calm and wills the creature to slow.

Use 2 Momentum for Create Opportunity, add 2 d20 to roll

19:34, Today: Jeddak rolled 19 using 2d20 with rolls of 5,14.  Passion + Empathy, 11-/5-
19:34, Today: Jeddak rolled 8 using 2d20 with rolls of 2,6.  er forgot the other 2d20, Passion + Empathy, 11-/5-.
- total of 5 successes on a D2 test

19:35, Today: Jeddak rolled 22 using 2d20 with rolls of 20,2.  Thoat will resist will Passion + Cunning, 9-/4-
- thoat gets 2 successes and a Complication, it REALLY likes the gentleness of the red woman and it's mental resistance slips, it will be a D2 difficulty to resist on next test

Aeryn ends up with 3 extra success + Nantas' assistance adds 2 more for a total of 5.  Well above what is needed.  She'll apply Nantas' 2 and 2 of her own to reach full control and bank the extra Momentum.

Control progress - 6 / 6
Aeryn Momentum: 2
Doom Pool: 0


The thoat dramatically slows and finally halts.  The red woman stays where she is, coaxing and coddling the beast as she continues to establish her rapport.  The Tharks pick up their hastily dropped loot and continue about their business, a few voice their displeasure that none were maimed by the creature.

Soon the scout rises to a sitting position.  Without a word the thoat pivots and trots back to the starting location.  Over the next few xat's Aeryn directs the beast back and forth but it quickly becomes evident that the animal is hers to command.

Returning to Demetrius and Dulcet Cog Aeryn smiles from atop the thoat and asks, "Which of you will ride behind me?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:51, Fri 05 Feb.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 111 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 23:02
Learning to Ride
Demetrius smiles and bows slightly. "It would be my honor, lady. Allow me." He offers his hand to help her stride her beast.
Nantas
 player, 108 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 15:44
Learning to Ride
"Come on! No time to rest, let's go!"