Alone in the Badlands.   Posted by Jeddak.Group: 0
Jeddak
 GM, 118 posts
 Threat: 5
Mon 8 Feb 2021
at 14:47
Alone in the Badlands
You leave the Tharks to their plunder and soon the smoke of the destroyed caravan is a distant pillar behind.  Around you the land is barren with only sparse patches of vegetation.  A harsh land indeed and though you are no great caravan to draw the eye of an entire tribe of Green Men there is little doubt that the beings you encounter here survive only by taking what they need or dying.  There is no other way.


"We should consider our path to Zodanga," Aeryn recommends during one of your breaks, "The road the caravan followed was easy but is often watched by both Tharks and Warhoon and other of the lesser tribes.  Striking across the countryside may alleviate some of this threat, though not all, but will no doubt be more difficult in progress."

"There are beasts out there!"
Ducet Cog frowned as he regarded the horizon away from the road.

"The beasts cross the road as well," Aeryn shrugged, "But I admit the traffic of it does drive some away."

Will you stick to the road or cut across the badlands to Zodanga?
Nantas
 player, 109 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 8 Feb 2021
at 20:38
Alone in the Badlands
Nantes looks forward, in the direction he'd expect Zodanga to be. Can he see any smoke from that infernal city that devours the very blood and spirit of Barsoom, on the horizon?

[OOC: 20:39, Today: Nantas rolled 15 using 2d20 with rolls of 13,2.  Reason 4; Daring 9.
I picked Reason because you use Reason for actions that use the Mind or the Senses.
I picked Daring because you use Daring when at Risk and Movement is Important.]


No, the city is yet several days travel and not even its tallest structure is visible.  But Nantas has a good idea of the direction

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:09, Tue 09 Feb 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 112 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 9 Feb 2021
at 02:17
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius cocks his head. "I don't know much about this place yet, but I am prone to want to stay away from the road. I don't trust the residents of that fair city yet and would rather take my chances with the beasts, unless someone convinces me otherwise."
Nantas
 player, 110 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 17 Feb 2021
at 22:35
Alone in the Badlands
"That's fine. We have a good idea of the direction and we can travel while staying away from the main road. Anyway, we'll know if the road i to our right or to our left and we can always start walking in that direction until we find the road again, if we change mind."
Demetrius Esper
 player, 114 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 18 Feb 2021
at 19:20
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius nods. He turns to Aeryn, his eyes sparkling. "We agree with your plan--you are clearly as intelligent as you are lovely. Shall we go?"
Nantas
 player, 111 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 18 Feb 2021
at 22:12
Alone in the Badlands
Nantes shakes his head after hearing too many cheesy expressions.
Jeddak
 GM, 122 posts
 Threat: 5
Sat 20 Feb 2021
at 22:54
Alone in the Badlands
The red woman's eyes are slits but there is a hint of a smile at her cheek as she directs the thoat after Nantas'.  Ducet Cog frets of Banths, White Apes and the like but soon quiets as the amble of the thoat and passing countryside stretch on for zodes...and then padans.

You soon realize that while avoiding the road has likely helped you avoid Warhoon or other fierce raiders, the landscape offers little sustenance and you are forced to ration the supplies given by Losa and Tal.  You make steady progress for 2 padans thanks to the strength of your mounts before you happen upon the remains of a Green Man.  There is little that the fauna have left to identify which tribe he or she may have belonged to, nor can you be certain how they met their demise.  It is a clear reminder that even those raised in this land are not safe from its perils.

Your supplies continue to dwindle as you continue and after another 2 padans you happen upon an especially harsh and desolate section which stretches Nantas' skill of survival to its limits.

Nantas - roll for Survival (D2 Reason + Cunning...unless you can think of a more appropriate combination) as you pass through the wastes to see if you are able to supplement the rations you carry.  Failure will mean that everyone will need to defend against an attack of despair (Fear) from the strain of the rationing with no sign of Zodanga in sight.

Demetrius - What is the profession of Ducet Cog, the White Martian that has attached himself to Nantas?

Nantas
 player, 113 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 21 Feb 2021
at 17:32
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Jeddak:
Nantas - roll for Survival (D2 Reason + Cunning...unless you can think of a more appropriate combination)


[OOC: I'd propose to use Daring (Used when at Risk and Movement is Important) instead of Reason, but I'll leave that decision ultimately to you. As an interim I'll follow your initial proposal of Reason + Cunning.]
Nantas
 player, 114 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 21 Feb 2021
at 17:35
Re: Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: 17:33, Today: Nantas rolled 33 using 2d20 with rolls of 18,15.  Reason 4; Cunning 9.
Poor roll, unfortunately, but if it was Cunning 9 + Daring 9, it would have been a bit better]

Demetrius Esper
 player, 116 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 21 Feb 2021
at 21:54
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius gets Ducet Cog to open up a bit on the trip. As it turns out, the man is a purveyor in rare cloths--something resembling an Earthen silk merchant of the 17th-18th century. A man more ill-equipped to ride the dunes has rarely been found. The man does wax poetic about rare Barsoomian cloths, though, including some that "to touch is to transform the mind, the senses!"

Can Demetrius assist Nantas? Cunning + Reason are more up his alley.
Jeddak
 GM, 123 posts
 Threat: 5
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 02:39
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Reason was a definite but I would have accepted Reason + Daring or Reason + Cunning.  Didn't succeed, no big deal, just means everyone is starting to feel the Stress of your situation.

Demetrius - survival in the wastelands falls under a race's What You Know and What You Can Do.  Green Men have:
Know - The wastelands and wilds your people wander, including the location of various birthing creches where the eggs of the young are kept.
Can Do - You can hunt and forage.
Ordinarily Nantas wouldn't need to make a test but the area you are passing through is especially barren.

For now things are still very strange and unfamiliar for an Earthman; this is the first time you've been out in the wastelands after all.  Makes it difficult for you to assist Nantas.


Nantas' skill in surviving in the harsh environs of the dead sea bottoms is without question, yet even he is unable to locate any scrap of food or water over the next two padans.  You feel the lightness in your waterskins when you raise them to your lips.  You remember the dead body you passed not long ago and wonder if it was not beasts but need that lead to their demise.

The heat of Mars and the quiet of the landscape without any sign of Zodanga weighs on you.  Did you make the correct choice in leaving the road?

Everyone attempt to resist Confusion caused by your situation.

Harsh Situation:
  Difficulty: 2
  Damage: 2 die

Use either Empathy or Reason + another attribute of your choice.  Might to muscle through, Passion to keep your spirits up, Daring to accept the risk instead of dwelling on it, etc...

If you manage 2 successes you are unaffected.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:40, Tue 23 Feb 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 117 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 03:21
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius focuses his mind on his companions and stays with them. He refrains from singing out loud, but he keeps a couple of Earth classics running through his mind...

Spend a point of Momentum, which nets me 3 successes. I re-bank 1 point of Momentum.

22:19, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 6 using 1d20 with rolls of 6.  Momentum.
22:19, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 13,17 using 1d20,1d20 with rolls of 13,17.  Might + Reason 16/8.


You didn't have any Momentum reserved, did you?

Did you just add Threat?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:52, Thu 25 Feb 2021.

Nantas
 player, 115 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 20:24
Re: Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: 20:22, Today: Nantas rolled 9 using 2d20 with rolls of 3,6.  Daring 9; Might 6. Empathy 3, Reason 4]

"Come on... let's move on! Preserve your energies and follow me."

NOTE: per instructions above you were supposed to use either Empthy or Reason.

quote:
Use either Empathy or Reason + another attribute of your choice.  Might to muscle through, Passion to keep your spirits up, Daring to accept the risk instead of dwelling on it, etc...


In this case didn't make a difference so no worries.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:04, Thu 25 Feb 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 118 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 23 Feb 2021
at 20:29
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius nods. "Right with you," he says. He puts his hand on the shoulder of the red-skinned woman near him.
Jeddak
 GM, 124 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 01:48
Re: Alone in the Badlands
The red woman is sullen but manages a smile at Nantas' and Demetrius' banter.  She offers no complaint nor hesitation to continue but her silence speaks of her small, inner worry.

19:18, Today: Aeryn Arj rolled 28 using 2d20 with rolls of 9,19.  Accept the risk and keep going, Reason+Daring, 14/6-.
- only 1 success

19:19, Today: Aeryn Arj rolled 7 using 2d6 with rolls of 4,3.  Confusion dmg.
- no damage


Ducet Cog is in hearty agreement, exclaiming, "Our mounts are not without survival senses of their own.  Why I was once in a wagon pulled by a team of thoats that stopped and refused to advance well short of sundown.  After we gave up and finally camped travelers passed with word that they had been attacked by a pair of banths not 1000 ads ahead of us; likely where we would have halted for the night.  Slacken the reigns and put heels to flank and let them find their sustenance and ours!"

19:41, Today: Ducet Cog rolled 10 using 2d6 with rolls of 5,5.  Accept the risk and keep going, Reason+Daring, 13/6-.
- 4 successes, the little rug merchant is apparently quite familiar with the risks of travel through the wastelands!

Jeddak
 GM, 125 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 02:23
Re: Alone in the Badlands
You soldier on and by the afternoon of the 2nd padan Nantas spies a mantalia plant, the life-source most Martians.  Though it's milk is bland and relatively tasteless it is highly nutritious and indeed the only food eaten by green Martians.  By nightfall you find you are no longer in such desolate land and your thoats are able to find abundant helpings of the yellow moss-like vegetation which is their natural food source.

As always upon Mars, dusk is a quick transition into darkness thanks to the thin Barsoomian atmosphere.  Plunged into night you note that there is a distant shine on the horizon in the direction which you have traveled.  It is too early to say for certain but hope kindles within each of you that Zodanga may lie only a few padan's away.

As day comes, akin to switching on a light in the reverse of dusk, you mount up once more and are off again.  Everyone's spirits are buoyed as the day passes as you feel your journey must be nearing its end...

But when you halt at midday your thoats are restless.  Something clearly disturbs them.  The area around you is given to low hills and you have seen evidence of narrow gorges.  As you investigate you happen upon a sight to fill most Barsoomians with dread, for within a nearby gorge squats one of the planet's top predators: a white ape!

It is entirely bald but for a mass of coarse hair that rises on its head like a crest. Standing ten to fifteen feet high, the white ape is an agile biped, which, like the green Martian, has an intermediary pair of limbs halfway between the legs and upper arms. These limbs are used for running and for grasping prey or improvised weapons. The paws of the white ape are massive and capable of completely enclosing the throats or limbs of any Martian it encounters.

Above its barrel chest, its square head sits on a corded neck. The eyes are small and close set. The ears are positioned high on the skull, but lower than those of the green Martians. With twenty different muscles controlling each cup-like ear, the white ape can pinpoint and distinguish sounds with remarkable precision. In this way, it can locate its prey easily in the mazy streets and plazas of dead cities like Horz, Jhama, Thark, and Warhoon. Its teeth and muzzle recall those of the African gorilla, though they are both many times larger. The two canines that protrude from the upper jaw are formidable piercing weapons and its
flat, broad incisors are efficient in shearing bone and stripping flesh.

The creatures ears are turned towards you and then its head raising in your direction.

You know it has detected you.

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:28, Thu 25 Feb 2021.

Nantas
 player, 117 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 25 Feb 2021
at 19:28
Re: Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: is this a good distance for practicing with our rifles, well ahead of getting to melee distance?]

Yes rifles would be at short range and no penalty (D1 test), pistols would be at long range (D2)

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:14, Fri 26 Feb 2021.

Nantas
 player, 118 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 26 Feb 2021
at 21:59
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantes wields the rifle that he recently picked up at the caravan, he checks that it is properly loaded and aims at the White Ape. He takes his time to aim and, finally, shoots.

[OOC: 22:02, Today: Nantas rolled 17 using 2d20 with rolls of 11,6.  Cunning 9, Reason 4.]

20:10, Today: Jeddak rolled 28 using 2d20 with rolls of 18,10.  White Ape defend vs Nantas, 11/4-.
- 1 success

Nantas' radium round hits!  Roll 2d6 for damage.  Firearms are Fearsome but Ape doesn't have a Fear stress track so any effects rolled with just do an extra 1 damage.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:14, Fri 05 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 121 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 3 Mar 2021
at 16:15
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius' eyes go wide when he sees the massive creature. He hefts his new rifle and aims at the face of the oncoming creature and depresses the trigger...

Spend one point of Momentum and shoot! 4 successes!

11:02, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 7,16,6 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 7,16,6.  Cunning + Reason to shoot +1 momentum, 15/7.


20:14, Today: Jeddak rolled 29 using 2d20 with rolls of 12,17.  White Ape defend vs Demetrius, 11/4-.
- seriously? no successes

Demetrius also hits and generates 3 Momentum.  Radium rounds do a base of 2d6 die for damage, effect rolled will be an extra point of damage.  You can choose to spend some or all of your Momentum.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:17, Fri 05 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 119 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 5 Mar 2021
at 12:04
Re: Alone in the Badlands
quote:
Nantas' radium round hits!  Roll 2d6 for damage.  Firearms are Fearsome but Ape doesn't have a Fear stress track so any effects rolled with just do an extra 1 damage.


[OOC: 12:03, Today: Nantas rolled 11 using 2d6 with rolls of 6,5.  rifle damage.]

Nice roll, 2 effects, White Ape takes 4 stress

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:18, Fri 05 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 122 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sat 6 Mar 2021
at 18:49
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius's shot is quite accurate...

Bank one Momentum, spend two on damage--total of 5 damage before any armor protection or the like!!

13:46, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 6,3,2,1 using 1d6,1d6,1d6,1d6 with rolls of 6,3,2,1.  Damage w/2 Momentum.


4 actually

1 & 2 cause 1 point each and the 6 causes 2 with the Effect it generates.  The 3 adds none

Geez, I did not expect him to get torn up so much but White Apes are no pushovers.

Should have next post up later this evening once I get back home


Nice, I missed that in the damage chart in the book and now the damage chart in the References thread should be correct too

White Ape takes 1 Wound from taking 5 stress at once!

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:49, Sun 07 Mar 2021.

Jeddak
 GM, 126 posts
 Threat: 5
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 13:41
Re: Alone in the Badlands
The giant ape explodes towards you, covering the distance impossibly fast.  Reaching you it slams both it's forhands into the ground, towering over even Nantas, and ROARS!

07:40, Today: Jeddak rolled 14 using 2d20 with rolls of 8,6.  White Ape roar, 15/5-.
- 2 successes


Defend against the Fear of the roar using Daring + (Passion OR Might)
Nantas
 player, 120 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 18:16
Re: Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: 18:15, Today: Nantas rolled 20 using 2d20 with rolls of 10,10.  Daring 9, Might 6.]

Nantas is well aware of the danger of the massive creature but it does not frighten him

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:00, Sun 07 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 123 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 21:15
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius stands firm and glares at the big beast. "You're gonna look good as a rug..." growls Demtrius.

Spend one Momentum, get four successes! Bank two Momentum.

16:13, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 4,16,4 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 4,16,4.  Daring + Might with Momentum 14/7.


The charge of the Ape seems to strengthen Demetrius' resolve rather than shake it

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:41, Sun 07 Mar 2021.

Jeddak
 GM, 127 posts
 Threat: 5
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 23:43
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Earthman and Green Man withstand the roar of Barsoom's fearsome White Ape and quickly move to action...

The Ape is upon you, easily within melee range.

Declare your actions!

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:44, Sun 07 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 121 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 19:48
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantes smiles as he has a good opportunity to test his swords, his favourite weapon, against such a mighty opponent. He jumps down his mount, after briefly recommending his companion to hold on and keep control of it, and eagerly rushes towards the mighty beast.

[OOC: 19:48, Today: Nantas rolled 25 using 2d20 with rolls of 15,10.  Cunning 9, Daring 9. two successes]

14:24, Today: Jeddak rolled 21 using 2d20 with rolls of 10,11.  White Ape defend vs Demetrius, 11/4-.
- 2 successes as well, Ape avoids stress from Nantas' attack


Nantas is forced to avoid the Ape's massive hands as he maneuvers for attack.  His slashes draw blood but a solid strike is denied him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:27, Mon 08 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 125 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 9 Mar 2021
at 23:53
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius fires on the beast, with a twist...

Spend one Momentum, get a net 2 successes--and one nat 20! Here we go. Will roll damage if it doesn't evade my shot.

18:51, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 20,2,18 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 20,2,18.  Cunning + Reason to shoot +1 momentum, 15/7.


06:34, Today: Jeddak rolled 27 using 2d20 with rolls of 15,12.  White Ape defend vs Demetrius, 11/4-.
- 0 successes....again.....but Demetrius rolled a Complication

Demetrius You hit and generate 1 Momentum.  Roll your damage


Demetrius, your next defense will be at D2

Once again the Earthman is able to line up his shot but his ankle rolls on a rock as he maneuvers and he will need a moment to shake off the pain and recover....if the ape allows him the time.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:41, Thu 11 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 126 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 17:29
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius looks with satisfaction as his shot further wounds the beast, but still backpedals. Nantas can tie it up mano e mano. "You've got this, Nantas! Keep it tied up and I'll take it down!"

Three damage, including the Effect from the gun. Also move as far away as I can from the beast.

12:26, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 6,1 using 1d6,1d6 with rolls of 6,1.  Damage!

Jeddak
 GM, 128 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 21:45
Alone in the Badlands
Enraged the ape turns upon the Earthman who has wounded it time and again with tooth and claw!  As Demetrius pulls back the monstrous creature thunders after him and attempts to destroy the puny thing that had hurt it so

Move Action: Follow Demetrius to next zone
Conflict Action: Attack with Might & Cunning

15:41, Today: Jeddak rolled 32 using 2d20 with rolls of 16,16.  White Ape attack Demetrius, 17/7-
- barely hit both times, 2 successes

Demetrius defend yourself from Injury

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:09, Fri 12 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 127 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 12 Mar 2021
at 21:16
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius' eyes go wide as the beast charges at him. "NANTAAAAAS!" he shouts as he springs backwards. On Earth, this blow would almost certainly have smashed him into pieces. However, in Mars' lower gravity, Demetrius counted on the swing from the beast's arm going high and so he ducked hard under it...

Use Thinks on My Feet to use Cunning + Reason, get three successes. Bank one Momentum to replace the one I used on the roll, and Demetrius gains an additional d20 to his next action against the ape. (Note the modifier is different than in the dice roller because I forgot about Thinks on My Feet when I rolled.

16:12, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 10,17,4 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 10,17,4.  Defending + 1 Momentum, 14/7.


You avoid the beast's attack and can now make one of your own!

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:51, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 122 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 12 Mar 2021
at 21:25
Alone in the Badlands
Hoping that our companions will be able to control the animals, Nantas attacks the White Ape from behind, hoping to have a surprise attack.

[OOC: 21:26, Today: Nantas rolled 27 using 2d20 with rolls of 11,16.  Cunning 9, Daring 9.
Two successes again...]


18:52, Today: Jeddak rolled 29 using 2d20 with rolls of 15,14.  White Ape defend vs Nantas, 11/4-.
- 0 successes, yikes

Nantas you hit and generate 1 Momentum.  I believe your Four-Armed for War talent causes you to generate an extra Momentum in this situation.  You have 2 Momentum to use or bank as you like.

Roll your damage!


Indeed the Ape's fury at the Earthman causes it to ignore Nantas.   A mistake it would come to regret.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:58, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 123 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 14 Mar 2021
at 01:09
Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: I'd like to use the 2 extra momentum to cause more damage
01:09, Today: Nantas rolled 20 using 4d6 with rolls of 6,5,3,6.  damage roll + 2 momentum.
3 damages + 3 effects]


Holy &@#@!  6 damage instantly causes another Wound to the Ape AND also takes it to 0 stress....causing another Wound.

3 Wounds and the beast is dead

Nantas describe how you dramatically dealt the deathblow to the creature!

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:10, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 124 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 14 Mar 2021
at 16:18
Alone in the Badlands
These beasts are for sure mighty, but they are also stupid. They switch their focus randomly, lowering their guard when they should be most worried.
Nantas, disappointed he was overlooked as an enemy, jumps on the mighty back of the beast, on its back torso, not far from his neck and, with grace and precision, his twin swords sink perpendicularly through its thick skin, until they encounter its heart.
The Earthman for a moment is reminded of the elegant movement of a matador, at the end of a bullfight, but in this case the bull is replaced by a much, much bigger beast!
The White Ape has a jolt and briefly kicks with all its six legs, then lays still.
Nantes, shaking his head, wiped his blade from the copious blood, without a word.
Nantas
 player, 125 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 14 Mar 2021
at 16:19
Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: is there a specific part of the White Ape that is customarily removed, as a kind of trophy and memento?]

Not that I recall but feel free to come up with one

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:43, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 128 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 00:16
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius stares down at the massive beast, eyes wide, finally relaxing his arms enough to lower the gun. "What...in heaven and hell was that thing?" he manages to get out after a few long seconds.
Nantas
 player, 126 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 09:04
Alone in the Badlands
"Typical game of Barsoom." says Nantas, as a matter of fact, as he hacks off the teeth of the White Ape to keep them as a kind of trophy or souvenir.
"Who's hungry? We have a short time to eat this meat, before more creatures come and join the feat."
Demetrius Esper
 player, 129 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 15:19
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius stands back, blinking. "Well, while that's interesting, I need to build a fire to cook this. I can't eat raw meat."
Nantas
 player, 127 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 16:50
Alone in the Badlands
"So you better haste and find something that burns." Nantas has to work quite hard to get his souvenir.

[OOC: what about out companions and mounts?]
Jeddak
 GM, 130 posts
 Threat: 5
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 17:15
Re: Alone in the Badlands
As you both stand triumphant over the corpse of the ape, Aeryn and Ducet ride up on one if the thoats.  "We heard the roaring and recognized the cry of a White Ape.  We feared the worst but it appears that was unfounded as the beast is slain and you look unharmed!"

The pair drop down and join you in preparing rations.  Ducet Cog continues to jump at any sound and mutters that another ape may be near but no such creature shows itself.

Aeryn notes, "Look here, the chaffing at the beast's wrists and neck.  I think this was a guard beast, perhaps for a caravan or rich noble.  It must have broken free and escaped.  That might explain how you managed to come upon it rather than it suddenly attacking from ambush.  It must have been conditioned during captivity.  Surely this means Zodanga is near."
Nantas
 player, 128 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 23:00
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantes barely nods at these interesting observations. He doesn't have lots of respect for the people that doesn't seek the fight, but he knows that they may be anyway useful... at least for cooking or similar menial tasks.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 130 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 00:24
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius, however, is much more interested in this. "Well then, beautiful Aeryn, I need your counsel. My first instinct is to build a fire and camp here by the beast, eating a bit of its flesh--but if we are that close to Zodanga, would that bring down trouble?"
Aeryn Arj
 NPC, 6 posts
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 02:43
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Pondering the Earthman's question a moment, the red woman looks round and points toward a nearby rise with a rocky outcropping rising from it, "Can you reach to top there and look round, especially in the direction we travel?  Perhaps the spires of Zodanga will be visible from its height?"

Assuming Demetrius agrees it is child's play for his Earthly muscles to clear the heights and reach the top of the outcropping.  From this vantage he can just make out a city in the distance, far enough away that he cannot be certain whether the group might reach it by nightfall.

Hearing this the scout seems reassured, "I would judge us safe from all except a chance meeting of a Zodangan patrol here but it would do to remain vigilant as we draw closer."

"We will also need decide how we will gain admittance to the city once there.  If we can justify our presence we might be allowed to enter through the gates, though I do not thing the guards will be sympathetic to news of comrades taken by slavers."

"If we cannot come up with a ruse for entry we will need to search for... alternative routes."

Nantas
 player, 129 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 08:54
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantas barely listens the chit chat. He is observing the surroundings and thinking how high his status may go in his tribe, once they will know that he got free from slavery and he killed a White Ape with his hands.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 131 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 17:17
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius nods at Aeryn's words, he nods. "Good. So, next question, Aeryn: how do your people cook the meat of a beast like this? Nantas, here, wants to have some straight up, but I need a little curing at least before I'll be wanting a bite."
Ducet Cog
 NPC, 1 post
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 18:14
Re: Alone in the Badlands
"Ah here is a task I might assist with," the White Martian rubs his hands and smiles, "I have not often prepared the meat of the Ape but it is often served in finer households.  I confess I am unfamiliar with the Green Man's methods but if my lord Nantas might provide instruction I will attempt to follow the steps exactly.  For the rest of us, it will be no great challenge to ready a meal and have some dried over the fire tonight to preserve for later use."

Without delay he sets to work.  In short order strips of ape meat are turning over an open fire for all but Nantas whose Cog will ready if the Green Man allows.
Nantas
 player, 130 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 20:42
Re: Alone in the Badlands
In reply to Ducet Cog (msg # 45):

"Don't worry, there's no need to prepare something different for me. I'll have it according to your recipe. We just need to feed and recover... and move on before something else is attracted by this feast."

[OOC: Nantas checks out the state of the mounts and keeps his eyes on the horizon, a bit worried.]
Demetrius Esper
 player, 132 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 17 Mar 2021
at 20:35
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius joins Nantas in keeping watch, rifle in hand. He's grown to rather like the rifle--it had a good feel for it.
Jeddak
 GM, 131 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 01:08
Re: Alone in the Badlands
The afternoon passes with full bellies and the gradual cooling of on-coming night.  Once darkness falls there is no doubt that a large city lies in your direction of travel as its glow is unmistakable.  There are chirps and cries of small scavengers that have found the ape's nearby carcass but nothing threatening comes to feed.  However once during the night the sound of a Banth echoes away in the distance....thankfully far off in the distance.

In the morn you travel on, your steps lightened with the prospect of reaching civilization.  In short order you begin to recognize the regular walls and spires of a city rising up from the dry seabed as you draw closer.  By afternoon it becomes apparent the walls must truly be great as they seem to continually rise without sign of their base.  Various air crafts are seen to come and go once you are close enough to make them out but none pass near enough that you deem it necessary to take cover.  Less than a zode before nightfall you recognize that a major road lies off to your right with a medium amount of traffic.

Aeryn recommends a halt before full dark and confirms what all had hoped, you have indeed found the Martian city of Zodanga.  The flat, dry seabed upon which you stand offers little to block the view of the outer perimeter and the lights atop the wall compared to those of the gates below indicate just how incredibly high they are.   Demetrius could scarce imagine any such manmade barrier on his homeworld to match.  The red woman explains that these walls are made of a material called carborundum and are impossibly strong and thick.  Perhaps in days long forgotten those parapets looked out over crashing waves instead of dry dirt and yellow moss.

"Now then," she purses her lips and nods towards the enemy city of her native Helium, "we must gain entry.  Climbing the walls is folly and we've no air ship to fly in.  We might pass the guards at the gate if we can justify our purpose; either posing as slaves or perhaps even slavers...hmmm, possibly mercenaries in search of hire.  I admit that it is...difficult...to maintain such a ruse, I am no assassin practiced in altering my thoughts to hide nefarious schemes."

Shaking her head as if in disdain at the thought of assassins, she offers, "Another alternative might be the ancient sewers which all Martian cities sit atop.  They will surely be secured but we might yet find a means in."

She raises an eyebrow inviting comment or question on ideas for entry.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:47, Thu 18 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 133 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 17:52
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius grins and turns to Nantas. "Nantas, I have not known you long, but I have a favor to ask. Would you be willing to play the part of a slave if I pretended to be a slaver? I think I could deceive the guards if given the chance."
Nantas
 player, 131 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 18 Mar 2021
at 18:50
Re: Alone in the Badlands
"Looks like that my destiny is having my allies selling me as a slave. My tribe did that for their own sake, and I got free, now my ally offers me the same. No, I don't want to be a slave again. Not in Zodanga. If you make a mistake they will take your properties away from you, including your green slave... We can offer ourselves as mercenaries, or try sneaking in through the ancient sewers."
Demetrius Esper
 player, 134 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 19 Mar 2021
at 22:08
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius nods. "Fair enough. Mercenary I could pull off as well. I want to save the sewers as a back-up option, not as our first."

He turns and eyes Ducet. "What role could you play in this deception, hm? Don't assume that you're doing any talking--leave that to me."
Jeddak
 GM, 132 posts
 Threat: 5
Mon 22 Mar 2021
at 01:55
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Ducet Cog tapped his bottom lip in thought before the light of recognition filled his eyes and he smiled, "I am familiar with all the steps of rug manufacturing including the dying of threads used in their weaving.  The minkala plant is grown in farms for the purpose of making red dye but it can also be found in the wild.  It's leaves are shaped thus," and formed his fingers in a manner which Nantas recognizes as a plant he has seen before.

"As you will not pass for a White Man of Barsoom," he motions to Demetrius, "and a Jassoomian would draw extra attention, let us apply the dye to your skin so that you may pass as a Red instead.  Many of mine own race have become mercenaries following the fall of Issus so my presence will not be exceptional, though I will need a weapon if I am to also appear to be a blade for hire."

Considering Nantas the White Martian admits, "It has been many ords since I last traded in Zodanga but the resentment against Tharks was still quite strong then.  If asked you should proclaim yourself an enemy of that tribe.  It will ally many but do not be surprised if you are treated poorly by others.  Once no Green Man would have been found within the walls lest it was in shackles."  He bows his head in apology but it is no less than Nantas would expect.  In the past Zodanga had waged an relentless war against all the tribes of the Green Man and was known to destroy incubators and any offspring or eggs they held.  Even the Warhoon were said to have cheered when news spread of the Helium and Thark sacking of the city.

If you wish of follow Ducet Cog's advice on dying Demetrius' skin, Nantas make a Reason + Cunning roll to locate minkala.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 135 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 22 Mar 2021
at 02:00
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius agrees with Ducet's plan and asks his friend Nantas to help make it work.

Nantas, all you!
Nantas
 player, 132 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 22 Mar 2021
at 19:32
Re: Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: 19:29, Today: Nantas rolled 19 using 2d20 with rolls of 15,4.  Cunning 9; Reason 4.]

"Indeed I am a Tilnak: nether a Thark, not a Warhoon. If both these tribes were wiped out of Barsoom, my tribe would be able to survive and even thrive without having to send its tribesmen to slavery, to entertain the Warhoons in the arena.."

I thought the plan was to present yourselves as a group of mercenaries.  No one in shackles.  Ducet Cog is just warning that you may experience some prejudice in Zodanga.  But a Thark would have it much worse.

[OOC: rephrased]

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:32, Tue 23 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 133 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 23 Mar 2021
at 12:14
Re: Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: I may have misinterpreted. I understood that the plan of presenting ourselves as mercenaries would have been better if Nantas was in shackles and that the various allies kind of proposed him to reconsider this option as more likely to work for the group.
If you think I misinterpreted, I will reword the above post accordingly.]

This message was last edited by the player at 21:51, Tue 23 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 136 posts
Tue 23 Mar 2021
at 21:33
Re: Alone in the Badlands

This message was deleted by the player at 17:45, Wed 24 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 134 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 23 Mar 2021
at 21:51
Re: Alone in the Badlands
In reply to Demetrius Esper (msg # 56):

[OOC: done]
Jeddak
 GM, 133 posts
 Threat: 5
Wed 24 Mar 2021
at 00:05
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Ducet Cog claps his hands, pleased with the Green Man's response.

Nantas departs just as Thuria, the nearer of the 2 moons of Barsoom, is cresting the horizon.  Cluros also hangs high in the sky and the pair offer ample light for Nantas to locate minkala.   A zode has barely passed before he returns with enough of the plant for Ducet Cog to begin preparations for the dye.

You rest comfortably when not on watch and fortunately none of Barsoom's fauna choose to disturb your camp.  Just before dawn Cog wakes Demetrius and begins to apply the dye.  In short order any who encountered your group would swear that two red men were in its number and not a Jasoomian was in sight.

"This stain will begin to fade in less than a dozen padans,"<blue> Ducet Cog assures Demetrius, <blue>"assuming you scrub daily.  It should be gone in no more than twice that time."  There is comfort in knowing that it should be in place while you enter Zodanga but for Demetrius there may be some reservations with how long his skin will remain red.

In the morn you proceed into the flow of traffic upon the nearby road and are soon at the gates of Zodanga.  The guard there bay you halt and state your business in the city.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 137 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 24 Mar 2021
at 17:49
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Prior to this interaction, Demetrius quizzes Aeryn and Ducet on the appropriate slang and greetings and such niceties. By the time he reaches the gate, he greets the guards using a common Zodangan greeting and then adds, "Just a group of sell-swords coming through to ply our trade. Know of anyone hiring some spare arms?"
Nantas
 player, 135 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 24 Mar 2021
at 18:45
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantes maintains, as much as possible in this situation, a low profile.
Jeddak
 GM, 134 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 25 Mar 2021
at 01:43
Re: Alone in the Badlands
The guardsmen appear board but determined to do their job; their eyes flit over your group, lingering on Nantas longer than the rest.  The padwar among them listens to Demetrius while 10 thans stand ready to address any trouble.

"Panthans are you?" he asks, using the Barsoomian term for mercenaries, "Like as not you may find employment in the city," his eyes travel to Aeryn in a lewd manner, "of one manner or another.  But," he motions to Nantas, "there is a tax to enter the city. A tanpi each but two for the green man."

You did not see any exchange of money in the previous entrants ahead of you and you suspect these men of corruption, using Nantas' presence to try to shake you down for coin.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 138 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 26 Mar 2021
at 16:22
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius smiles broadly. "Ah, I see, I see. A reasonable tax. Here's the challenge: we are headed into the city to make money, because we lack it altogether now. In honor of your excellence in duty, we would be happy to return in only one day to pay double the tax--two tanpi per person and four for my compatriot here. We will find you, very specifically, and ensure that you get credit for this matter." He makes a sign of respect that the guards would recognize, again following Ducet's instructions.
Jeddak
 GM, 135 posts
 Threat: 5
Sun 28 Mar 2021
at 04:19
Re: Alone in the Badlands
The padwar and his men burst into laughter.  Demetrius feels his anger rise at the wonton display of corruption, he knows they play with him and have no honor.  But before he can do anything rash, Aeryn speaks up.

"It seems that the good padwar doubts our word or perhaps our skills," she  smirks, "Wondering if we might be able to obtain work.  Perhaps a demonstration of skill would convince him that we will easily gain employment to earn the coin to pay for our entrance."

"To first touch?" Ducet Cog suggests.

The red woman nods in appreciation of the white martian's suggestion, then looks to the padwar and smiles.

The padwar frowns and begins to object but suddenly realizes that his men and other entrants awaiting admittance into Zodanga are watching him.  Suddenly in the spotlight he hesitates...and then realizes it is a sign of cowardice.   Recognition comes and he knows his decision is made for him.

"Very well," his eyes narrow, "but if you are truly skilled then you must be able to dispatch multiple opponents.  Each of you, correct?  You and the Green Man, 5 each should be no challenge for GREAT swordsmen."

The padwar is backed into a corner but you have a potential way in if you can get the first touch on each of his men.  If you agree, you each can describe your setup for the match and make your attack(s).  You will EACH face 1 mob of 5 minions in personal combat.  If you are able to score damage on them without taking any in return you will defeat them and earn entrance into Zodanga.

Attacking is a D1 challenge.  If your attack succeeds (after I roll for minion defense) you may defeat an extra minion for each Momentum spent.

Remember you may add Threat to earn extra dice for your actions.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:58, Fri 02 Apr 2021.

Nantas
 player, 136 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 28 Mar 2021
at 12:20
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantas doesn't say a word and maintains his low profile, but unsheathe his two sabres and hands his rifle to Ducet Cog.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 140 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 29 Mar 2021
at 15:00
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius grins. He also hands Ducet his gun and pulls out his sword. "Never said that sword was my best tool, good man," he quips. "But it'll do."

He takes a ready position with his sword. "Let's do this!"
Jeddak
 GM, 138 posts
 Threat: 5
Mon 29 Mar 2021
at 15:56
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Feel free to describe the scene.  Do you move to the side of the road or clear a space right there in the way of all traffic?  Do the guards surround you or do you face them as a group.  Each of you will fight your own battle here so you don't necessarily have to coordinate.

This is an opportunity for you to "show off", hopefully a fun one.

I'll roll defense for the minion hit after your initial attack.  Then you'll know how much Momentum you have to play with.

Feel free to review the Momentum spends in References thread.  There are other things you could spend on besides taking out an extra minion.

Post when you're ready.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:59, Mon 29 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 142 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 29 Mar 2021
at 17:56
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius waits until the five men in front of him begin to move. He springs into the air and lands cleanly on the shoulder of one of the men, tapping him with his sword. He then springs down and starts prodding at several of the other men...

Attack yields 5 successes!! Results in 4 damage and 1 Harm from the sword's Effect. That effectively takes down the men, see below.

13:39, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 1 using 1d6 with rolls of 1.  Sorry, one more die for Momentum.
13:39, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 2,5,3,4 using 1d6,1d6,1d6,1d6 with rolls of 2,5,3,4.  Normal sword damage + 3 Momentum.
13:52, Mon 29 Mar: Demetrius Esper rolled 1,10,3 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 1,10,3.  Attack w/1 Momentum, 13/6


18:38, Today: Jeddak rolled 30 using 2d20 with rolls of 14,16.  Minion Defend 9/4-.
- 0 successes.

Demetrius you hit and generate 4 momentum and may roll damage vs the minion you struck (initially).  2d6 for a sword + any extra the talent you use might offer

Feel free to play-up how you defeat the members of the group you face

This message was last edited by the player at 17:41, Wed 31 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 140 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 29 Mar 2021
at 22:19
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantas at first isn't at the top of his form for sure, but he hangs on and tries harder. You can see from his face that he's not happy with his performance.
Noticing that his opponents, maybe lazy, maybe out of practice, maybe just scared by the mighty size of the Green Men, are reacting poorly to his demonstration attack, Nantas keeps going and, after touching (without much precision, to be hones) his first opponent, he rolls and surprises the second, twists on his lower legs and touches the third, behind him, springs into a somersault and touches the fourth and fifth opponents at the same time, using his twin blades.
Finally, Nantas goes back to his previous, low profile attitude, after putting his sabres in their sheaths and shaking his head, showing his disappointment for what he seems to consider a poor show... that anyway made him touch with his blades five opponents without them even being able to raise a finger against him!

[OOC: 23:15, Today: Nantas rolled 35 using 2d20 with rolls of 20,15.  Cunning 9; Daring 9.
23:15, Today: Nantas rolled 19 using 2d20 with rolls of 6,13.  Cunning 9; Daring 9, +2 Threat.]


18:42, Today: Jeddak rolled 36 using 2d20 with rolls of 19,17.  Minion Defend 9/4-
- 0 successes....again

It would be nice to see you guys just sweat.  Nothing big, just sweat it a little :P

Nantas you hit your target minion, roll your damage (2d6 for a blade).  Your extra 3 successes become Momentum.  Your 4 Armed for War talent also causes you to generate an extra Momentum in situations like this.

Just like Demetrius, you also have 4 Momentum to spend.  Assuming you roll at least 1 damage and dispatch your initial target I assume you'll want to spend all 4 Momentum to take out the remaining guards, correct?

Again, feel free to describe how you expertly earn 1st touch on all of your opponents.

EDIT: Oh and instead of inflicting a Complication on you for the 20 you rolled I'm going to add 2 more points of Threat to my pool.


[EDIT OOC: 20:24, Today: Nantas rolled 9 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,6.  damage
Nantes carefully avoids hurting too much any single opponent (let alone killing them or maiming them), but will use the extra momentum for touching all five opponents.
To be honest, the first roll (20, 15) made me sweat quite a bit... anyway, I edited the text in this post as you suggested.]

This message was last edited by the player at 20:10, Wed 31 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 143 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 31 Mar 2021
at 17:43
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius's clear first blow upon the shoulders of the first guard leads to a display of unearthly strength, as Demetrius pushes one into the other and tags that fellow, followed by a backflip and tags on two of the remaining men. He then faces the last fellow squarely and cracks this fellow aside his head with the blade, which leaves the man cut and humiliated.

Demetrius stands back and eyes the leader of the guards. "I think that makes my point. As I say, we will return with the money as promised, once we are able to get our down payment on our next job."

He nods to Aeryn and Ducet Cog and begins to brush past these men, unless they be bold enough to challenge him...
Nantas
 player, 141 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Wed 31 Mar 2021
at 20:11
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantas follows, quietly.
Jeddak
 GM, 140 posts
 Threat: 5
Fri 2 Apr 2021
at 02:07
Re: Alone in the Badlands
The padwar blinks twice as his men are immediately eliminated.  He opens his mouth, as if to object, but closes it nearly as fast when Demetrius and Nantas march past.  Aeryn and Ducet Cog follow on the thoats, neither favoring the dumbstruck padwar with even a small glance.  Behind you there are cheers from other travelers who also witnessed your duel but not a word of protest from the guards themselves...

To be continued in new thread Zodanga