Alone in the Badlands.   Posted by Jeddak.Group: 0
Jeddak
 GM, 126 posts
 Threat: 5
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 13:41
Re: Alone in the Badlands
The giant ape explodes towards you, covering the distance impossibly fast.  Reaching you it slams both it's forhands into the ground, towering over even Nantas, and ROARS!

07:40, Today: Jeddak rolled 14 using 2d20 with rolls of 8,6.  White Ape roar, 15/5-.
- 2 successes


Defend against the Fear of the roar using Daring + (Passion OR Might)
Nantas
 player, 120 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 18:16
Re: Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: 18:15, Today: Nantas rolled 20 using 2d20 with rolls of 10,10.  Daring 9, Might 6.]

Nantas is well aware of the danger of the massive creature but it does not frighten him

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:00, Sun 07 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 123 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 21:15
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius stands firm and glares at the big beast. "You're gonna look good as a rug..." growls Demtrius.

Spend one Momentum, get four successes! Bank two Momentum.

16:13, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 4,16,4 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 4,16,4.  Daring + Might with Momentum 14/7.


The charge of the Ape seems to strengthen Demetrius' resolve rather than shake it

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:41, Sun 07 Mar 2021.

Jeddak
 GM, 127 posts
 Threat: 5
Sun 7 Mar 2021
at 23:43
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Earthman and Green Man withstand the roar of Barsoom's fearsome White Ape and quickly move to action...

The Ape is upon you, easily within melee range.

Declare your actions!

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:44, Sun 07 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 121 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 8 Mar 2021
at 19:48
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantes smiles as he has a good opportunity to test his swords, his favourite weapon, against such a mighty opponent. He jumps down his mount, after briefly recommending his companion to hold on and keep control of it, and eagerly rushes towards the mighty beast.

[OOC: 19:48, Today: Nantas rolled 25 using 2d20 with rolls of 15,10.  Cunning 9, Daring 9. two successes]

14:24, Today: Jeddak rolled 21 using 2d20 with rolls of 10,11.  White Ape defend vs Demetrius, 11/4-.
- 2 successes as well, Ape avoids stress from Nantas' attack


Nantas is forced to avoid the Ape's massive hands as he maneuvers for attack.  His slashes draw blood but a solid strike is denied him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:27, Mon 08 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 125 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 9 Mar 2021
at 23:53
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius fires on the beast, with a twist...

Spend one Momentum, get a net 2 successes--and one nat 20! Here we go. Will roll damage if it doesn't evade my shot.

18:51, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 20,2,18 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 20,2,18.  Cunning + Reason to shoot +1 momentum, 15/7.


06:34, Today: Jeddak rolled 27 using 2d20 with rolls of 15,12.  White Ape defend vs Demetrius, 11/4-.
- 0 successes....again.....but Demetrius rolled a Complication

Demetrius You hit and generate 1 Momentum.  Roll your damage


Demetrius, your next defense will be at D2

Once again the Earthman is able to line up his shot but his ankle rolls on a rock as he maneuvers and he will need a moment to shake off the pain and recover....if the ape allows him the time.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:41, Thu 11 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 126 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 17:29
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius looks with satisfaction as his shot further wounds the beast, but still backpedals. Nantas can tie it up mano e mano. "You've got this, Nantas! Keep it tied up and I'll take it down!"

Three damage, including the Effect from the gun. Also move as far away as I can from the beast.

12:26, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 6,1 using 1d6,1d6 with rolls of 6,1.  Damage!

Jeddak
 GM, 128 posts
 Threat: 5
Thu 11 Mar 2021
at 21:45
Alone in the Badlands
Enraged the ape turns upon the Earthman who has wounded it time and again with tooth and claw!  As Demetrius pulls back the monstrous creature thunders after him and attempts to destroy the puny thing that had hurt it so

Move Action: Follow Demetrius to next zone
Conflict Action: Attack with Might & Cunning

15:41, Today: Jeddak rolled 32 using 2d20 with rolls of 16,16.  White Ape attack Demetrius, 17/7-
- barely hit both times, 2 successes

Demetrius defend yourself from Injury

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:09, Fri 12 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 127 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 12 Mar 2021
at 21:16
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius' eyes go wide as the beast charges at him. "NANTAAAAAS!" he shouts as he springs backwards. On Earth, this blow would almost certainly have smashed him into pieces. However, in Mars' lower gravity, Demetrius counted on the swing from the beast's arm going high and so he ducked hard under it...

Use Thinks on My Feet to use Cunning + Reason, get three successes. Bank one Momentum to replace the one I used on the roll, and Demetrius gains an additional d20 to his next action against the ape. (Note the modifier is different than in the dice roller because I forgot about Thinks on My Feet when I rolled.

16:12, Today: Demetrius Esper rolled 10,17,4 using 1d20,1d20,1d20 with rolls of 10,17,4.  Defending + 1 Momentum, 14/7.


You avoid the beast's attack and can now make one of your own!

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:51, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 122 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Fri 12 Mar 2021
at 21:25
Alone in the Badlands
Hoping that our companions will be able to control the animals, Nantas attacks the White Ape from behind, hoping to have a surprise attack.

[OOC: 21:26, Today: Nantas rolled 27 using 2d20 with rolls of 11,16.  Cunning 9, Daring 9.
Two successes again...]


18:52, Today: Jeddak rolled 29 using 2d20 with rolls of 15,14.  White Ape defend vs Nantas, 11/4-.
- 0 successes, yikes

Nantas you hit and generate 1 Momentum.  I believe your Four-Armed for War talent causes you to generate an extra Momentum in this situation.  You have 2 Momentum to use or bank as you like.

Roll your damage!


Indeed the Ape's fury at the Earthman causes it to ignore Nantas.   A mistake it would come to regret.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:58, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 123 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 14 Mar 2021
at 01:09
Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: I'd like to use the 2 extra momentum to cause more damage
01:09, Today: Nantas rolled 20 using 4d6 with rolls of 6,5,3,6.  damage roll + 2 momentum.
3 damages + 3 effects]


Holy &@#@!  6 damage instantly causes another Wound to the Ape AND also takes it to 0 stress....causing another Wound.

3 Wounds and the beast is dead

Nantas describe how you dramatically dealt the deathblow to the creature!

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:10, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Nantas
 player, 124 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 14 Mar 2021
at 16:18
Alone in the Badlands
These beasts are for sure mighty, but they are also stupid. They switch their focus randomly, lowering their guard when they should be most worried.
Nantas, disappointed he was overlooked as an enemy, jumps on the mighty back of the beast, on its back torso, not far from his neck and, with grace and precision, his twin swords sink perpendicularly through its thick skin, until they encounter its heart.
The Earthman for a moment is reminded of the elegant movement of a matador, at the end of a bullfight, but in this case the bull is replaced by a much, much bigger beast!
The White Ape has a jolt and briefly kicks with all its six legs, then lays still.
Nantes, shaking his head, wiped his blade from the copious blood, without a word.
Nantas
 player, 125 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Sun 14 Mar 2021
at 16:19
Alone in the Badlands
[OOC: is there a specific part of the White Ape that is customarily removed, as a kind of trophy and memento?]

Not that I recall but feel free to come up with one

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:43, Sun 14 Mar 2021.

Demetrius Esper
 player, 128 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 00:16
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius stares down at the massive beast, eyes wide, finally relaxing his arms enough to lower the gun. "What...in heaven and hell was that thing?" he manages to get out after a few long seconds.
Nantas
 player, 126 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 09:04
Alone in the Badlands
"Typical game of Barsoom." says Nantas, as a matter of fact, as he hacks off the teeth of the White Ape to keep them as a kind of trophy or souvenir.
"Who's hungry? We have a short time to eat this meat, before more creatures come and join the feat."
Demetrius Esper
 player, 129 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 15:19
Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius stands back, blinking. "Well, while that's interesting, I need to build a fire to cook this. I can't eat raw meat."
Nantas
 player, 127 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 16:50
Alone in the Badlands
"So you better haste and find something that burns." Nantas has to work quite hard to get his souvenir.

[OOC: what about out companions and mounts?]
Jeddak
 GM, 130 posts
 Threat: 5
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 17:15
Re: Alone in the Badlands
As you both stand triumphant over the corpse of the ape, Aeryn and Ducet ride up on one if the thoats.  "We heard the roaring and recognized the cry of a White Ape.  We feared the worst but it appears that was unfounded as the beast is slain and you look unharmed!"

The pair drop down and join you in preparing rations.  Ducet Cog continues to jump at any sound and mutters that another ape may be near but no such creature shows itself.

Aeryn notes, "Look here, the chaffing at the beast's wrists and neck.  I think this was a guard beast, perhaps for a caravan or rich noble.  It must have broken free and escaped.  That might explain how you managed to come upon it rather than it suddenly attacking from ambush.  It must have been conditioned during captivity.  Surely this means Zodanga is near."
Nantas
 player, 128 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Mon 15 Mar 2021
at 23:00
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantes barely nods at these interesting observations. He doesn't have lots of respect for the people that doesn't seek the fight, but he knows that they may be anyway useful... at least for cooking or similar menial tasks.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 130 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 00:24
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius, however, is much more interested in this. "Well then, beautiful Aeryn, I need your counsel. My first instinct is to build a fire and camp here by the beast, eating a bit of its flesh--but if we are that close to Zodanga, would that bring down trouble?"
Aeryn Arj
 NPC, 6 posts
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 02:43
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Pondering the Earthman's question a moment, the red woman looks round and points toward a nearby rise with a rocky outcropping rising from it, "Can you reach to top there and look round, especially in the direction we travel?  Perhaps the spires of Zodanga will be visible from its height?"

Assuming Demetrius agrees it is child's play for his Earthly muscles to clear the heights and reach the top of the outcropping.  From this vantage he can just make out a city in the distance, far enough away that he cannot be certain whether the group might reach it by nightfall.

Hearing this the scout seems reassured, "I would judge us safe from all except a chance meeting of a Zodangan patrol here but it would do to remain vigilant as we draw closer."

"We will also need decide how we will gain admittance to the city once there.  If we can justify our presence we might be allowed to enter through the gates, though I do not thing the guards will be sympathetic to news of comrades taken by slavers."

"If we cannot come up with a ruse for entry we will need to search for... alternative routes."

Nantas
 player, 129 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 08:54
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Nantas barely listens the chit chat. He is observing the surroundings and thinking how high his status may go in his tribe, once they will know that he got free from slavery and he killed a White Ape with his hands.
Demetrius Esper
 player, 131 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 8/6/8
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 17:17
Re: Alone in the Badlands
Demetrius nods at Aeryn's words, he nods. "Good. So, next question, Aeryn: how do your people cook the meat of a beast like this? Nantas, here, wants to have some straight up, but I need a little curing at least before I'll be wanting a bite."
Ducet Cog
 NPC, 1 post
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 18:14
Re: Alone in the Badlands
"Ah here is a task I might assist with," the White Martian rubs his hands and smiles, "I have not often prepared the meat of the Ape but it is often served in finer households.  I confess I am unfamiliar with the Green Man's methods but if my lord Nantas might provide instruction I will attempt to follow the steps exactly.  For the rest of us, it will be no great challenge to ready a meal and have some dried over the fire tonight to preserve for later use."

Without delay he sets to work.  In short order strips of ape meat are turning over an open fire for all but Nantas whose Cog will ready if the Green Man allows.
Nantas
 player, 130 posts
 Mom: 0 | S(C/F/I): 4/9/9
 A (C/F/I): 0/0/0
Tue 16 Mar 2021
at 20:42
Re: Alone in the Badlands
In reply to Ducet Cog (msg # 45):

"Don't worry, there's no need to prepare something different for me. I'll have it according to your recipe. We just need to feed and recover... and move on before something else is attracted by this feast."

[OOC: Nantas checks out the state of the mounts and keeps his eyes on the horizon, a bit worried.]