We start at the bottom...   Posted by GM-NameShortage.Group: 0
GM-NameShortage
 GM, 11 posts
 In-person game on hold
 Finding refuge online
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 12:29
We start at the bottom...
As your vision comes back from the sudden blinding white light, you find yourself in a dark, damp stone room. The musty smell hits you, and you taste mold in every breath. Those of you with darkvision look around and see four strangers, all of you in a four-walled 10 by 15 foot room, sitting along the walls with no doors. The irregularly cut stone on the floor shows a few small puddles, into which the occasional waterdrop from the eight-foot ceiling falls.

Before you can fully take in your surroundings or acknowledge the strangers, a stone in the center of the floor lifts as if on a hinge and a pedestal with a perfectly spherical orb resting on it rises up, eventually replacing the floor stone. The intricately carved pedestal stands about three feet high with three delicate fingers sticking up to hold the approximately one foot orb in place.

A few moments after the pedestal comes to a rest, the orb emits a soft glow, lighting up the room and revealing all the details to the rest of the party without darkvision. Everyone looking at the orb sees a blurry vision in the orb slowly coming into focus. You see an old frail-looking human with pale skin and a balding head of white hair. He's sitting in front of a wall of books and what you can see of his desk appears to be in disarray with papers strewn about. He looks up from his desk, seemingly noticing he's being watched and, with a slightly taken aback look, adjusts his glasses up his nose and clears his throat.

"Ahem! Welcome, welcome to our dungeon," he says in a high pitch nasally voice. "We have asked you here because, well, I suppose 'ask' isn't the right word. Uh, we have brought you here because we feel you are uniquely suited to not only survive, but to thrive here! Let's see, who do we have this time…" He shuffles some papers around. "Yes, yes. Tomack the Quick, Untin Blackstone, Sentara," he raises an eyebrow, "and her badger. And, ah yes, Zara." He adjusts his glasses again.

The man taps the papers into a stack and clears his throat. "You will need to work together, so make friends quickly. I shall give you some time to introduce yourselves before sending you on your way. I do hope to see you all in the near future. We are awaiting your arrival! Best of luck!" With a dainty wave of his fingers, the image in the orb dissipates, but the glow remains.
Tomack Quicksilver
 player, 13 posts
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 14:40
We start at the bottom...
Let there be light .....

Tomack squints at as the light comes to being. This is certainly strange. He was in a process of examining an ancient document on the topic of inter-dimensional travel and the effects of mythos on branching within the arcane plane possibilities, then things ... went black. And now this.

'Did I cause this?' a thought ran through his mind.

"Hello ... Do you understand me?" he tried first in common. If there was no response he resolved to try some of the other languages he knew starting with Draconic as one he would consider the one most likely to be known by being from possibly other worlds or .... places.
Sentara
 player, 3 posts
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 14:45
We start at the bottom...
Sentara's natural reaction was to assume a defensive posture with her hand/claws out in front of her. Her animal companion, a badger, bared her teeth, but did not attack. It waited for her druid companion to make that decision.

"Why are we here? ANSWER ME NOW!" were the first thing out of her mouth. She needed answers or blood would start to flow here and now.
Untin Blackstone
 player, 8 posts
 Dwarf Rogue 1
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 19:55
We start at the bottom...
Blinking away the effects of the bright flash, the dwarf positions himself so that his back is to something solid, and he can see the  others that appeared with him.

He angles his spear towards the angry-sounding woman and her creature, bracing it against a possible charge.

"I'd like to know the same, missy," he growled in response to Sentara's threat. "T'was speaking with some friends about a possible job, then next thing I knows, here I am."
Zara
 player, 2 posts
 Oread Warpriest 1
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 20:11
We start at the bottom...
"Earthmother, protect us," mutters the armored priestess in the common tongue, brandishing her warhammer like a talisman. Her skin shimmers in the dim light, casting faint reflections around the room.

She turns towards the man who seemed more calm than the other two, replying, "Unless the man in the globe was magically speaking different languages to each of us, I think we all share a common tongue."

"The questions to ask should be: where are we, why were we chosen, and what does our captor intend of us. I expect from his last comment that we'll know shortly."


She lowers her weapon, sliding it into a loop at her belt, and clasps a fist to her chest. "I am Zara, of the militant order of the Earthmother."
Tomack Quicksilver
 player, 14 posts
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 20:31
We start at the bottom...
Tomack nods his head in a greeting. "I am Tomack, what is known as a Lorekeeper among my people. I use the arcane arts go gather knowledge and explore the ... universes and planes. It seems our host ... or captor if you prefer intends us to play the role of mice in his labyrinth. I would normally not be interested in such a proposition, but at the moment I see no choice."

Tomack takes a half a step forward and raises his right hand with an outstretched, open palm away from him

"I Tomack the Quick pledge to work with you for our mutual benefit and survival. I swear to not to betray any of you, or act against your interests without explicitly rescinding this pledge and giving you a fair warning, or until that time that you do so."
Sentara
 player, 5 posts
Fri 31 Jul 2020
at 20:53
We start at the bottom...
Slowly Sentara controls her breathing as she see no immediate threat. Her inner beast is controlled. That control is what separates beings from animals. She will not let the beast take over. Not anymore. Not since she escaped her tormentor ... her mother.



With a slight move of her hand she commands her companion to stand down "Down Jolina."

"Sentara" Sentara says as she taps herself on the chest. "I do not wish to be here. I am no ones slave. How do we get leave?"
Untin Blackstone
 player, 9 posts
 Dwarf Rogue 1
Sat 1 Aug 2020
at 00:56
We start at the bottom...
Shifting the point of the spear towards the apparent spellcaster with an outstretched hand, the stocky demihuman narrows his eyes, but senses no ill intent. He pulls the spear to an upright position, leaning heavily on it.

"I'm no game-piece, either, but looks so far like we got no choice in the matter," he complains. "Untin. Trap-springer and locksmith."

He steps toward the pillar holding the crystal ball, examining the area from which it ascended. "Magic got us in here, I'm guessing, but mayhap we'll leave by more normal means."
GM-NameShortage
 GM, 12 posts
 In-person game on hold
 Finding refuge online
Sat 1 Aug 2020
at 02:11
We start at the bottom...
After making surface level small talk, Untin turns his eyes to the pedestal. Carefully observing it, he notices the intricate carvings on the pedestal are runes of some sort, maybe a language. He doesn't recognize the language, and asking the rest of the group, they don't either. However, casting detect magic on the pedestal reveals a transmutation aura.

Moving up to the milky white orb, he sees that it's perfectly round beyond even an expert craftsman could accomplish and measures about a foot across. Detecting Magic on it reveals Divination and Illusion auras.

Stepping away from the pedestal and orb, Untin begins to inspect the walls with the help of the party. They quickly discovery a small seam in the stone walls, but an investigation of the immediate area reveals no physical mechanism to open it.
Untin Blackstone
 player, 10 posts
 Dwarf Rogue 1
Sat 1 Aug 2020
at 12:00
We start at the bottom...
Shrugging in frustration, the dwarf sets himself with his back to the wall opposite the opening with no release, taking a knee.

"Well, that's that. Guess we just haff ta wait 'til ol' wrinkleface decides to fill us in on what's what."

He rummages through his pack and sighs. "Anyone think ta bring somethin' ta drink besides water?"
GM-NameShortage
 GM, 15 posts
 In-person game on hold
 Finding refuge online
Sun 2 Aug 2020
at 01:56
We start at the bottom...
Untin turns back to the group and kneels. A few moments go by as the party considers Untin's question. Jolina the badger growls again, drawing Sentara's attention to the pedestal. The runes begin glowing red one-by-one, working their way from the bottom to the top. Once the topmost runes are lit, the wall by Untin groans as dirt and debris begin falling to the floor. Untin hops up to his feet and steps back as the wall shifts forward into the room and slides across the wall to reveal stairs leading up.

The orb's light intensifies as the old man's voice emanates from it. "Hello again! I suppose it's time for you to all be on your way. Tread carefully!"

All falls silent again.
Untin Blackstone
 player, 12 posts
 Dwarf Rogue 1
Sun 2 Aug 2020
at 14:02
We start at the bottom...
Startled by the shifting wall, Untin backs away until all movement stops, then peers into the opening.

His left hand dips into one of the pouches of his bandolier, and he pulls out a bundle of black cloth. He carefully unwraps it to reveal a glowing marble-sized spherical stone, which he raises to the top of his head and lets it go. The stone lazily spins around his head, casting light in a 20' radius.

The dwarf peers at the steps, then upwards to see if the staircase bends, searching for any anomalies.

"Tread carefully. Right," he mutters before turning to the others. "Well, who wants to go up the scary staircase first?"
Tomack Quicksilver
 player, 15 posts
Sun 2 Aug 2020
at 16:08
We start at the bottom...
Tomack nod to himself at the sight of Untin's ioun stone. He himself does not have such an item, although he is very familiar with ones such as this, having seen them all around. It was a comforting thought that at least the people here were competent. For his part, he took out one of his torches and spoke a word of power which activated a light spell centered on the torch itself generating as much light as the real flame, but not consuming the torch itself.

"That looks dangerous ... Why don't you go first." he replied with a half bow.
Sentara
 player, 6 posts
Sun 2 Aug 2020
at 16:17
We start at the bottom...
Sentara felt out of her element. She was used to forest and mountains, underground was generally not her thing. Not that she was afraid or anything, just not familiar, and dungeons even more so. From what she knew dwarves were much more suited to this type of environment and thus she tended to agree with the wizard-man. If would be better for a dwarf to lead the way.

"I and my friends" she nodded at her animals "will follow and back you up in case something goes wrong."

She raised her shield and took her club off her belt. With a bit of concentration the shield began to glow with a light magic as well. She took had power within her.
Zara
 player, 3 posts
 Oread Warpriest 1
Sun 2 Aug 2020
at 16:37
We start at the bottom...
The warpriestess stands silently, head bowed in silent prayer. She then strides forward to stand next to the druid. "I'll follow behind you to guard your back. The Earthmother will watch over us."

She hefts her shield to rest comfortably at the ready on her left arm, and pulls the warhammer from the loop on her belt and rests it on her right shoulder. "Ready, here."
Untin Blackstone
 player, 13 posts
 Dwarf Rogue 1
Sun 2 Aug 2020
at 16:43
We start at the bottom...
The dwarf shrugs. "No time like the present, I suppose."

Barring the discovery of anything dangerous, he starts up the stairs. "Stay close, but don't crowd me. If I stop, you stop. If I drop, you drop. If I'm attacked ... well, save me."
GM-NameShortage
 GM, 16 posts
 In-person game on hold
 Finding refuge online
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 01:34
We start at the bottom...
GM-NameShortage, on behalf of Untin Blackstone, rolled 19 using 1d20+5.  Stealth
GM-NameShortage, on behalf of Untin Blackstone, rolled 25 using 1d20+11.  Perception


Untin takes point and eases out into the short corridor before reaching the steps. Carefully making his way up, he peers out and his darkvision easily allows him to see to the end of the five-foot wide, 55 foot long hallway. To the left are two passageways, one 15 feet away and the other 45 feet away. He doesn't get the feeling of any immediate danger in this hallway, but he does feel a bit uneasy as his attention is drawn to the right wall, where he sees a series of relief carvings into the masonry of demonic faces that run the length of the hallway.

GM-NameShortage, on behalf of Tomack Quicksilver, rolled 24 using 1d20+7.  K. Rel

With Untin's prompting, Tomack sneaks up and takes a look at the faces. He goes through his metal rolodex of deities but can't find anything specific. He comes to the conclusion that these faces are probably just generic visages designed to unnerve people as they leave the room.

Sorry about the delay. Lots of procrastinated housework had to get done today.

Map updated!

Untin Blackstone
 player, 14 posts
 Dwarf Rogue 1
Mon 3 Aug 2020
at 11:51
We start at the bottom...
The dwarf motions to Sentara to bend down a bit and whispers in her ear, "Keep watch down the hall while I check out this first corridor."

Still uncertain about the demonic-looking faces, Untin inches towards the first passage to their left and peeks around the corner.

-----
"Paranoia, the destroyer (and it goes like this)"
Stealth: +5
Perception: +11
K. Dungeoneering: +6
Reflex save: +5