THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT.   Posted by The GM.Group: 0
Kalriya
 NPC, 2 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2020
at 18:54
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Dim:
"Nice day for a walk," Dim said, lacking anything better to act as a conversational inroad. "Don't you think?"

Don't you think was a question that people asked Dim a lot, but he knew that it had two very different meanings. This was the nicer one.

"I'm Dim. What's your name?"


"...Kalriya," said the woman.
Dim
 player, 33 posts
 Experience: 1
Mon 14 Sep 2020
at 20:13
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Kalriya:
Dim:
"I'm Dim. What's your name?"


"...Kalriya," said the woman.


"That's a pretty name," Dim said. He wasn't hitting on the woman, just commenting honestly. "You're not from Timinit, are you? I thought I saw everyone while we were running out, but I don't recognize you."

He winced as his foot hit a rock, jarring his wounded thigh. He probably could have avoided it if he wasn't splitting his attention between the road and the woman.

"Where do you come from?"
Kalriya
 NPC, 3 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2020
at 20:35
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Dim:
Kalriya:
Dim:
"I'm Dim. What's your name?"


"...Kalriya," said the woman.


"That's a pretty name," Dim said. He wasn't hitting on the woman, just commenting honestly. "You're not from Timinit, are you? I thought I saw everyone while we were running out, but I don't recognize you."

He winced as his foot hit a rock, jarring his wounded thigh. He probably could have avoided it if he wasn't splitting his attention between the road and the woman.

"Where do you come from?"


"I am not from Timinit... though I have been there before. I am... from the people of the river Enrasar. It is... far to the southeast from here." She speaks these words as if they mean and so now it is time for you to stop talking to me and to leave me alone.
Dim
 player, 34 posts
 Experience: 1
Mon 14 Sep 2020
at 20:51
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
If properly applied, Dim was capable of recognizing a hint for what it was. The woman's tone being something akin to a blow from his warhammer, this particular hint made it through his skull intact.

"I'll just leave you be," Dim said, increasing his pace to put some distance between himself and Kalriya. But the extra speed jostled his leg painfully, and with a gasp he slipped back again to fall into step nearby.

"Can't go any faster," he explained. "But we don't have to talk. If you don't want to talk, then we don't talk. No talking."

He walked alongside the woman for several paces without saying a word. Then he began to whistle a tune.
Kalriya
 NPC, 4 posts
Tue 15 Sep 2020
at 01:56
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Dim:
If properly applied, Dim was capable of recognizing a hint for what it was. The woman's tone being something akin to a blow from his warhammer, this particular hint made it through his skull intact.

"I'll just leave you be," Dim said, increasing his pace to put some distance between himself and Kalriya. But the extra speed jostled his leg painfully, and with a gasp he slipped back again to fall into step nearby.

"Can't go any faster," he explained. "But we don't have to talk. If you don't want to talk, then we don't talk. No talking."

He walked alongside the woman for several paces without saying a word. Then he began to whistle a tune.


Kalriya seems annoyed... but she seems to tolerate this easier than being talked to.

On the other hand, she's slowing down, very gradually... she seems to have a little trouble walking...
Dim
 player, 35 posts
 Experience: 1
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 14:28
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
"Are you okay?" Dim asked. He was having trouble walking, and was still managing to outpace this woman. "Are you hurt?"
Kalriya
 NPC, 5 posts
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 14:37
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Dim:
"Are you okay?" Dim asked. He was having trouble walking, and was still managing to outpace this woman. "Are you hurt?"


"No," Kalriya says, meaning stop asking me things. "I am not hurt. I am simply not used to long walks in the desert... I am accustomed to wealth and luxury, which includes travelling in a palanquin."
Dim
 player, 36 posts
 Experience: 1
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 17:29
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
"Ah. Your feet hurt." Dim looked at the woman's feet which were probably dainty and dressed in shoes that were not at all suited for walking long distances. "Sorry.

"I'll go back to shutting up. I said I'd shut up, but I didn't, so I'll shut up now. I'm really very good at shutting up. People always tell me, 'Dim, shut up,' so I've gotten a lot of practice. Now when I need to shut up, I shut up real good. No more talking from me."

This message was last edited by the player at 17:52, Fri 18 Sept.

The GM
 GM, 48 posts
Fri 18 Sep 2020
at 17:59
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Dim:
"Ah. Your feet hurt." Dim looked at the woman's feet which were probably dainty and dressed in shoes that were not at all suited for walking long distances. "Sorry.

"I'll go back to shutting up. I said I'd shut up, but I didn't, so I'll shut up now. I'm really very good at shutting up. People always tell me, 'Dim, shut up,' so I've gotten a lot of practice. Now when I need to shut up, I shut up real good. No more talking from me."


Kalriya makes a long-suffering face, like one might if one:
--lived in the desert
--hated the sound of the howling wind
--experienced a momentary cessation of the howling wind, bringing brief solace
--knew that it might start back up at any time

...but she says nothing more for the moment.
Mum-Ra-Lud
 player, 21 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 06:57
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Ahead, leading the exodus, Mum-Ra-Lud glanced back occasionally, keeping an eye on Dim and the others.
Dim
 player, 39 posts
 Experience: 1
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 16:42
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
They walked in silence for a mile or so, and then Dim asked, "So what is it like in Enrasar?"

He could shut up... but staying that way was possibly beyond his abilities.
Kalriya
 NPC, 6 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 17:38
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Dim:
They walked in silence for a mile or so, and then Dim asked, "So what is it like in Enrasar?"

He could shut up... but staying that way was possibly beyond his abilities.


Kalriya is not pleased at the renewal of conversation. "Hot," she says.
The GM
 GM, 51 posts
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 14:42
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT

Just before sundown, the group comes to an oasis.

It's just four palm trees growing around a large pond (less than 150 feet across), but the water is clear and seems safe.

There are signs that at least one caravan has camped here in the last three days, but no one else is here right now.

The paths leading to and from the oasis lead north (the way the group has just come), west-by-southwest, and east-by-southeast.

Everyone in the group is very relieved to have fresh water to drink. There's no food visible anywhere, but at least one can cross specifically dying of thirst off of the threat list for now.

Maybe a caravan will come here soon...?
Mum-Ra-Lud
 player, 24 posts
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 20:22
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Mum-Ra-Lud went about organising the entourage  for the night ... for what that was worth (maybe folks needed to be organised into orderly bathing such, I dunno.  He's just trying to be a good leader).

When everything settled for the evening, he intended to get the best night sleep he could, as he wanted to be up predawn to greet the rising Sun, and commune with it.
The GM
 GM, 52 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 14:26
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Mum-Ra-Lud:
Mum-Ra-Lud went about organising the entourage  for the night ... for what that was worth (maybe folks needed to be organised into orderly bathing such, I dunno.  He's just trying to be a good leader).

When everything settled for the evening, he intended to get the best night sleep he could, as he wanted to be up predawn to greet the rising Sun, and commune with it.


(Each of you roll Insightful, please...)
Mum-Ra-Lud
 player, 25 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 19:31
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
- rolled 8 using 2d6+1 with rolls of 2,5.  Mind/Insightful.
Dim
 player, 42 posts
 Experience: 1
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 19:34
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Dim rolled 6 using 2d6-1 ((5,2)).
The GM
 GM, 54 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2020
at 17:15
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT

(Dim gains 1 xp, but takes -1 forward on his next roll (-2 if it involves waking up suddenly. He's out like a light and sleeping like a rock and other cliches).)

Mum-Ra-Lud hears someone... moaning... Not often... just now and then... Something about it gradually stirs him to wakefulness...
Mum-Ra-Lud
 player, 26 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2020
at 23:45
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Mum-Ra-Lud was woken by this subtle, but recurring and irritating sound.
And so, in the dark of the night, rose, and gently made his way towards its source, following his ears mostly.
He had to wonder what was going on.
The GM
 GM, 55 posts
Sat 17 Oct 2020
at 18:51
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Mum-Ra-Lud:
Mum-Ra-Lud was woken by this subtle, but recurring and irritating sound.
And so, in the dark of the night, rose, and gently made his way towards its source, following his ears mostly.
He had to wonder what was going on.


Everyone but Mum-Ra-Lud is lying down.

Everyone but one other person: not far away, a woman is kneeling, bent over a man, like she's maybe whispering something to him?

He seems to have been the one moaning-- but he's gotten much quieter, has hardly made any more noise at all since Mum-Ra-Lud got up.
Mum-Ra-Lud
 player, 27 posts
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 05:29
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Mum-Ra-Lud, still, will approach quietly.
He wanted to better understand what was going on there, and what was being said.
The GM
 GM, 56 posts
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 17:56
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Mum-Ra-Lud:
Mum-Ra-Lud, still, will approach quietly.
He wanted to better understand what was going on there, and what was being said.


(Hmmm. Mum-Ra-Lud, roll BODY for stealth.)
Mum-Ra-Lud
 player, 28 posts
Sun 18 Oct 2020
at 20:19
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
- rolled 7 using 2d6-1 with rolls of 4,4.
Kalriya
 NPC, 7 posts
Mon 19 Oct 2020
at 14:44
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
Mum-Ra-Lud:
- rolled 7 using 2d6-1 with rolls of 4,4.


Mum-Ra-Lud gets close enough to observe that Kalriya seems to have her nose and mouth right in front of the nose and mouth of-- oh, it's Unakla, Dim's new follower. Is she just... smelling his breath? Is she whispering something? Both?

It's hard to say. He certainly can't hear any words she's whispering, if indeed that's what she's doing...

Because as he tries to inch closer, she apparently hears a footfall on the sand, and she looks up suddenly, straight at Mum-Ra-Lud.

Her expression speaks of surprise, fear, and anger-- or is it more like surprise and anger/frustration...?
Mum-Ra-Lud
 player, 29 posts
Mon 19 Oct 2020
at 21:01
Re: THE BURNING CITY OF TIMINIT
In fact, Mum-Ra-Lud was confused.  But confusion gave way to his own frustration and suspicion, as Kalriya looked up at him.
"What in the name of The Living Sun are you doing?" he demanded, feeling pretty sure that he was seeing something unnatural and wrong happening before his eyes.
"WHAT are you doing to that man?", as he now strode towards the two.

I am suspecting an impending 'Talk' roll, so:
- rolled 9 using 2d6 with rolls of 3,6.  Talk