The Bank Job.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Shade
 player, 31 posts
 Legacy
Mon 21 Sep 2020
at 14:08
The Bank Job

09:57, Today: Shade rolled 13 using 2d6+3.  Legacy move. Fight the good fight. Use Savior +3.
Choosing 2:
 resist or avoid their blows
 create an opportunity for your allies


As Shade feels the arm wrap around his neck and shoulder and sees the punch being wound up,  the training from Dusk and Shadow wakes up in him.  They’ve always instilled him, from the moment they started training him, that at the end of the day, he’s just a man. No powers, no additional strength or speed, and as such there’s always someone with a little extra out there.  And that they’ve seen even the best fighters get put down by being outnumbered.

So they taught him that when the going gets tough, he HAS to continue to Fight the Good Fight and be efficient and careful.

He stops trying to show off and impress on these thugs that it was a good idea to get out of here and instead takes the choice from them.  Using the gun in his hand, he savagely hits the incoming fist with it, causing rugged contoured steel to strike flesh at high speed. While the puncher is in pain, Shade then moves into a classic counter for a weak half nelson, getting out of a grapple with the other thug.

Then he efficiently tries to take these two out for the count.
Hound
 player, 26 posts
Mon 21 Sep 2020
at 14:24
The Bank Job
Time to do something monumentally... Stupid!

Hound felt her fists clench as the two thugs stood, momentarily paralyzed, above her. She thought about taking both down, hard. Showing them what it meant to defy the hunt. Showing them what a power she was...
She squeezed her eyes shut, and pushed such thoughts back.

"Go! Run! AAAGH!"

She'd tried to be merciful. Tried to give them a chance to get away, but somewhere in the back of her mind, she heard the Huntsman's horn. No mercy for the hunted! No mercy! his voice bellowed in her ears, causing her whole body to cramp up.

"H...Help..." She cried out as she went semi-fetal on the floor.

09:21, Today: Hound rolled 6 using 2d6-1.  Provoke the thugs: Run! Marking both potential for the failed roll, and doom track for showing mercy.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:25, Mon 21 Sept.

Shade
 player, 34 posts
 Legacy
Mon 21 Sep 2020
at 21:23
The Bank Job
A brief moment after the fight with the thugs started it was over. Escaping the half Nelson, Shade delivered a brutal leg sweep, sending that thug toppling into the counter and striking a nerve cluster, unable to move. As they fell to the ground defeated and perhaps with a broken hand, Shade looked around the room to see what he could do to help next.

Oh no Hound seemed to be almost out of the fight, even if just for a moment. Hearing her cry of help, he vaults over the counter and lands between her and the thugs, buying her a moment or two to get back in the fight or for someone else to jump in, hoping the distraction draws their attention away from her.
Traveler
 player, 23 posts
 Oh, that's a flashlight
 installed in my eye...
Wed 23 Sep 2020
at 08:08
The Bank Job
 Aaron considered the next move, and decided he needed to know who this guy was, or at the very least hack into his system and shut him down. So he bent down to one knee and tapped the small touch stud on his temple. His left eye began to glow green slightly and blink, as if it was receiving data from a modem line. He began to tap into the Wifi network within the bank, and his first move was the cryptobreaker code to tap into the network, and just maybe ol'birdie-boy would be tied in as well, or at least show up on a network scan......Oh, what's this? Birdie has cellphone capability built into his Suit! Jackpot!

OOC: 15:45, Today: Traveler rolled 10 using 2d6-1.  +Mun. Piercing The Mask: What are you really planning?

 Aaron begins to dive into this guy's mediocre Bird-Techtm, by his day's standards anyway. His ultimate goal was to find the suit's basic utilities controls and drivers, movement steering or weapons even for instance, but he settled for the interior comms as he worked his way in. "Well hey there bird guy, that's a fancy suit you got there..." he says into the Falco's helmet, "so lemme get this straight, you found you a suit o'tech and decide the first thing you're going to do with it is rob a bank? You did not think this through punk...What's yer game, yeah? Let's see, from here I can get to your servos, rockets, thrusters and personal diary..."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:25, Thu 24 Sept.

Plasti
 player, 23 posts
 Protege
Thu 24 Sep 2020
at 17:10
The Bank Job
"You're welcome.  It's fine," Plasti reassures the bank tellers.  "But I really need to go help my team," she says as she bonelessly squeezes out from their grasp before a stretchy leap across the street.

Peeking in the bank from the ruined door, she sees the bird mech seemingly unengaged at the moment.  She's not sure where the rest of the team is, as well as pretty sure that letting the robo-bird-guy take the initiative would be bad.  Stepping out into the doorway, she shouts out, "Hey, bird brain!  Real nice job on the robbery here.  You can't handle it yourself?  You need a bunch of minions to do the work for you?"

OOC: 12:02, Today: Plasti rolled 12 using 2d6+2.  Provoke Someone.
That worked well.  Hmm, what am I trying to get out of it, other than riling him up...

GM
 GM, 34 posts
Thu 24 Sep 2020
at 20:37
The Bank Job
The two men in the side office look rather surprised as Hound drops to the ground in front of them and curls into a ball. After a second of surprise one starts laughing and the other nudges his mask to one side to spit on the ground next to her, This is what Halcyon calls heroes these days? Jesus, this is just some kid in body paint. Pathetic!"

OOC: They would shift your labels - danger down and mundane up. You can accept what they say or reject their influence.

They then raise their guns to fire but are interrupted by Shade, charging into the room leaving his opponents of only moments ago groaning in agony on the floor of the foyer. They spin to level their guns at him and forget about the prone Hound for the moment...

The avian power armour is momentarily too distracted to intervene in events unfolding only a few feet away from it. As Traveler deftly hacks into its systems and starts talking to the pilot you can see the mighty machine turning left and right in a strangely comic fashion as if to see where the voice is coming from. It ultimately locks it's gaze on Plasti, hurling insults at it from the doorway. Already wound up by Traveler the time traveler, through the interior coms, can hear a bellow of rage as the bird-bot launches itself at Plasti.

Wings extended and clawed hands outstretched it hurtles through the air propelled by a gout of flame from a rocket booster attached to the back. Fortunately it didn't bank on Plasti's unique flexibility and she manages to fold herself out of the way as the claws pass a hair's breadth from her head. Enraged as they were the pilot of the armour did not plan ahead and cannot stop itself in time, crashing into one of the parked police cars with a shriek of twisting metal and a spray of shattering glass. It appears to have lodged itself quite tightly in the chassis and flails wildly as it tries to extricate itself from the tangle of metal.

The distraction gives Traveler the time he needs to start skimming through files on the machine's hard drive. The owner isn't an extensive note taker but from what you can find on a cursory inspection there is no grand plan, this is a robbery as basic as "smash our way in and grab what we can".

Team Pool: 3
Shade
 player, 35 posts
 Legacy
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 19:50
The Bank Job
"Get up Hound! Don't listen to them!"

Seeing that he's the only thing between these two violent men and Hound, makes Shade stay in a cooly efficient fighting gear.  He knows he's not the best fighter around, but his training taught him to be enough for two men.

15:38, Today: Shade rolled 13 using 2d6+3.  Legacy move. Fight the good fight. Use Savior +3.

I'll do the same thing as last time and take these two out with the resist blows choice, then open up an opportunity against the bird mech.


He knows the usual statistics for the fight and saw how the other men moved.  Using some deduction and his previous research on multiple assailant fighting, Shade places himself at the perfect distance between the men and Hound and between the men themselves.  At this point, it's almost intuition that causes his body to move in such a way that he hits both men in a paralyzing nerve cluster and throw one into the other and take them both out.

2 hits and twist of the hips and it's over.

He helps Hound up to her feet asks"Are you ok?" and begins looking for more threats.  Seeing none around, he takes a moment to look at the criminals and start collecting information on them. He notices a subtle piece of tech on them and collects it for later. The mech seems pretty big time for this small time show. There may be someone higher up the food chain. And he wanted to find them.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:18, Mon 28 Sept.

Hound
 player, 27 posts
Fri 25 Sep 2020
at 23:44
Re: The Bank Job

For a split second, the merest fraction of a heartbeat, Hound heard the words of the criminals. They were right. They...

Shade:
"Get up Hound! Don't listen to them!"


Her fist clenched. Her eyes narrowed. Mercy was a mistake, and one she wasn't going to make again. She gave a sidelong grin towards Shade, taking his hand to get her to her feet.

Her voice seemed to reverberate across the room "Let's see if the team left anything for us."

Does going after the other crooks count as doing something to prove them wrong? If so, clearing insecure. If not, I'll shift labels, just not sure which yet.
Traveler
 player, 24 posts
 Oh, that's a flashlight
 installed in my eye...
Sat 26 Sep 2020
at 09:32
Re: The Bank Job
 Aaron began to think about how to leverage his now possibly limited time hacked into Falcotron's system. As he thought about it he continue to engage Birdman, keep him grunting. "You seem to have a lot on your mind, but I promise you, gonna be a cold day in hell before you are walking outta here now. You might as well spill the milk, There's no way you made this suit, no way. So tell me who owns your stuck-ass? Otherwise you'll be lucky to get outta this thing with a can opener. You know one o'these lowlifes will eventually talk so what's it gonna take to get you out of this still intact, you know what we can do, yeah?"

OOC: Carrying forward my previous roll's 2nd & 3rd question: How can I gain influence over Birdman & How can I get Birdman to surrender?

 As he continued to try to keep the armored brute thinking, he engaged his search algorithms to find his drivers to disarm him finally. In seconds he began wrestling with the security features of the driver shells, engaging his own virtual armor. Within a few machine cycles the results were decided, he had the code to engage a takeover of the joint servos, at least he hoped that was what it was...if not he'd be in trouble.

 He powers the arm movements to get the joints of the arm to twist around to his back into a arm-lock for the man inside, he didn't want to hurt them, just to get him to talk, you know, like they used to do in the movies.

02:53, Today: Traveler rolled 13 using 2d6+2. +Sup Hacking obstacle: takeover the joint servos.

This message was last edited by the player at 09:57, Sat 26 Sept.

Plasti
 player, 27 posts
 Protege
Sun 27 Sep 2020
at 21:09
Re: The Bank Job
Plasti speaks into the comms, "Echo, Traveler, can you keep the mech contained while I check inside the bank?"

She spots Shade and Hound as she moves into the bank.  "You okay?  It looks like it's down to just the henchmen in the vault?"

After they respond, Plasti heads over to the bank counter, then discretely stretches her neck out to peek inside the vault.  Here's hoping it's just bird-guy who's trigger happy...

OOC: As much as I could roll Assess the Situation here, I'd rather give the GM a chance to describe what's in the vault first.
GM
 GM, 36 posts
Mon 28 Sep 2020
at 20:35
Re: The Bank Job
The next two gunmen go down like ninepins at Shade's assault, unable to match him in close quarters. Once sure that the men are down for the foreseeable future Hound and Shade make for the vault, joined as they advance across the now empty foyer by Plasti.

Plasti's unique talents let her take a peek around the ruined vault door. Despite her best hopes the sight of her head is met by a burst of automatic gunfire but it's hopelessly inaccurate and she gets enough of a view to understand the layout inside. One of the men crouches behind a trolley full of sports bags, clumsily stuffed with cash which is spilling out the sides, covering the doorway with his weapon. Further back three hostages, looks like customers, sit cowering against the rear wall of the vault while the second gunman stands using a man, who looks suspiciously like a bank manager, as a human shield and shoving a pistol firmly against the side of his head. The hostage taker shouts out as Plasti ducks back from the spray of bullets, "You freaks walk away now or we blow his head off and then start on the others!"

***

Outside Traveler acts quickly while the birdman thrashes himself free of the ruined vehicle. Continuing his hack of the systems he succeeds in taking over one of the arms - it doesn't quite twist around the back, it isn't built with that much mobility, but it does lock awkwardly at the suit's side eliciting another roar of anger from the pilot.

Finally tearing itself free and rising to it's feet it grabs half the ruined chassis of the car with one good hand before smashing it down onto Echo who advances upon it with powers blazing. Even Echo's prodigious psychokinetic talents aren't enough to resist the force of the blow and she goes down under a mass of twisted metal.

Turning around it locks eyes, or at least the stylized parts of the helmet which pass for eyes, on Traveler and advances with a gait made awkward by it's one fixed arm. A man's voice, angry and bullish, comes back to Traveler across the communicator, "I don't have to have made this suit to use it to beat the snot out of you punk! You get out of my controls right now or I'm gonna make this real painful for you!. As it continues to advance, gunfire from the police nearby ricocheting harmlessly off the armour, the wings spread wide revealing a selection of weapons systems all aimed at Traveler...

OOC: Couldn't find a way to work the answers to your questions into the narrative without it feeling clumsy so I thought I would just spell it out here! The pilot of the suit is a pretty simple bully so your best way to get influence over him is to best him in a straight-up fight and to get him to surrender you need to disable the suit. If the suit stops working he's out of options and he knows it.

Also I love Falcotron as a name. Better than what I had him down as so that might have to be official!"

Hound
 player, 28 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 00:23
Re: The Bank Job
Hound looked ready to charge right in, but when the intel of hostages came, she began to back off a little. Her face read as nervous. "There's gotta be some way we can get them out of there. I'm not gonna rush in and get them shot!"
Shade
 player, 38 posts
 Legacy
Tue 29 Sep 2020
at 18:25
Re: The Bank Job
Shade searches his utility pouches for a device that has been helping Shadow and Dusk for literal generations... Knockout gas.

The two elder statesmen use the gas in either what they call Mercy Bullets (Shadow) or a gauntlet (Dusk) that exudes the chemical when crushed. Shade has found another yet less subtle method of delivery. A pellet he can throw with pretty good accuracy that will knock out anyone close to it.

In this case it probably means the bank manager, but he’ll probably just be happy to wake up and this be over.

He holds to in his grasp and clandestinely shows them to Hound and Plasti, in case either has a better plan.

If given the word he’ll throw these at the robbers feet and it should put them out almost instantly.
Plasti
 player, 28 posts
 Protege
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 09:46
Re: The Bank Job
Thankfully, the average minion with an automatic weapon is not terribly accurate.  With her head returned to the rest of her, Plasti confers with Shade and Hound.  "Yeah, that's another trigger happy criminal.  He's going to be tough to get by."

Her musings are punctuated by a loud crash outside the bank.  Things out there are fine, right?  Traveler would let her know otherwise.

"That's... a pellet form of Mercy Bullets?" she asks of Shade.  And no, it's not weird that she's familiar with Shadow's paraphernalia.  With his nod, she continues, "Probably our best bet at the moment.  Just give me a moment to see if I can get him talking and distracted."  She also takes a moment to describe where the lead thug is in relation to the door.

She walks over so that she is as far away from the vault door as possible while being visible from it.  She shouts out, ""I'm staying away!  I just want to know if you have any other demands while your boss is busy?"

OOC: 23:08, Today: Plasti rolled 6 using 2d6+1.  Defend.
Attempt to Defend the hostages by distracting the minions.
Well, that's not good. :(

This message was last edited by the player at 04:15, Sun 04 Oct.

Traveler
 player, 26 posts
 Oh, that's a flashlight
 installed in my eye...
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 04:59
Re: The Bank Job
 Traveler has only enough time to see himself on the cams of the suit before he was advancing on Traveler, raging really. Before he came back, he made sure to call out over the suit's speakers, "zzzz...everyone clear the path, this guy is using a prototype, we're not sure he knows what he's doing!..zzztk"

 Aaron smirked in spite of himself as he rose to his feet, perhaps a little too sure of himself. He stood and allowed a fresh portal to form at his fingertips, for him it was like loading a slingshot. He licked his lips in determination and readied for whatever the suit had for him, in any event his solution would be the same so he stood his ground. "Come on, you got the glitz, you got the hardpoints, what are you waiting for, an invitation?"

 When Falcotron came at him, he he'd toss a portal in front, and aim the end portal at the ground with just enough clearance to clip those pretty wings when he closed his portal. If he shot at him, he planned to return his own fire back at him, with a slight adjustment of his end point...He'd tried it once before when he was tackling drones instead of guys in bird costumes. What could he say, it was a different time wasn't it.

Today: Traveler rolled 7 using 2d6+2. unleash powers(take an insecure and a temporary)

 'Cept it didn't go exactly how he thought, never did, it seemed like. This time though his measurement's were a little off and when Falcor rushed him, he ported him, but not to the effect he wanted. The suit came out on the other side face-down but it would only be a minor setback, the end portal gave him too much clearance, he couldn't get the snip!

This message was last edited by the player at 05:00, Sun 04 Oct.

GM
 GM, 40 posts
Sun 4 Oct 2020
at 20:36
Re: The Bank Job
Outside the bank the power armour bears down on Traveler with murderous intent but ends up blundering into the thrown portal and then finds itself slamming into the ground a short distance away with a heavy clunk and the sound of crunching asphalt.

It clambers awkwardly once more to its feet, still with one arm pinned uselessly, the frustration somehow palpable despite the expressionless metal facade. With a shriek of hatred the thing surges forward and bullrushes Traveler backwards but the portal has interrupted most of the momentum it had and it just succeeds in driving Traveler backwards, through the ruined window, and back into the bank. The impact is enough to wind the time-traveler but cause no real injury though how long that may be the case in such close proximity to the angry robot remains to be seen...

***

Inside the bank Plasti's gambit to distract the men looks like it might work for a second but then the man with a hostage shakes his head slightly, "No dice, there were three of you out in that bank!". With that he lowers the muzzle of his pistol and fires once, putting a bullet through the bank managers leg, "Next one is in his head! Leave, now! he shouts as the screaming manager drops to the ground at his feet. The wound isn't likely to be instantly fatal but you certainly have a clock on the rescue now!

Team Pool: 3

OOC: As Hound and Shade seemed to be largely holding their actions I haven't done anything with that yet but feel free to act now.
Shade
 player, 40 posts
 Legacy
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 19:12
Re: The Bank Job
Shades nods at both ladies and says "Hold your breath while you're in there." then throws the pellets at the floor of the thugs feet. He's practiced this exact scenario.

15:08, Today: Shade rolled 13 using 2d6+3.  Fight the good fight.  Gas pellets.
Creating an opportunity
Resist and avoid blows


A light blue cloud explodes from the pellets quickly filling the air around the thugs. His teacher's formula still seems to hold up, as he can see the effect it has on the assailants.
Hound
 player, 33 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 02:41
Re: The Bank Job
Hound:
Hound looked ready to charge right in, but when the intel of hostages came, she began to back off a little. Her face read as nervous. "There's gotta be some way we can get them out of there. I'm not gonna rush in and get them shot!"



Well, apparently that wasn't true. Hound did, in fact, rush in. And get shot.


21:38, Today: Hound rolled 3 using 2d6+1.  Directly engaging a threat, +danger. Hey, at least it's an XP, right. Any chance we're actually going to save these people? Or is this game gonna go grimdark real fast...

Traveler
 player, 27 posts
 Oh, that's a flashlight
 installed in my eye...
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 08:27
Re: The Bank Job
 Traveler attempted to fend off the bird man himself and was quickly getting out-maneuvered. He had definitely earned Falcotron's ire, but now he found himself having a difficult time paying the check his mouth wrote. So far the dude was managing to block or shrug off everything Traveler could throw at him.

Traveler rolled 3 using 2d6.  Directly Engage Threat - Putting the hurt on
GM
 GM, 43 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2020
at 20:02
Re: The Bank Job
A joyless laugh rings through the communicator into Traveler's ears as his blows fail to make the slightest dent in Falcotron's heavy armour. In retaliation it swings it's one free arm down and wraps one clawlike fist around the time traveler's head, driving him to his knees as it begins to tighten it's grip like some terrible vice.

OOC: That's a powerful blow you have to take there Traveler.

Inside the vault all hell breaks loose as Shade throws his stun pellets as the metal bound room fills with choking gas. The man holding the bank manager hostage immediately drops the wounded man to the ground, too busy coughing and covering his mouth to spend time worrying about his human shield. The other gunman, slightly further away, is less affected but has his attention immediately occupied by a charging Hound!

Hound manages to reach him but in the ensuing struggle he manages to unleash a hail of automatic gunfire into her chest, dropping her to the ground in pain but, thanks to her unnatural durability, no serious injury.

OOC: That's going to be worth a condition Hound but you can choose how you feel in the circumstance. Angry or Insecure seem like the obvious choices but I'll be led by you.

The ensuing confusion is enough for the other hostages (all save the injured bank manager) to make good their escape, coughing and spluttering as the flee from the vault into the open bank. They pull up short as they see the hulking birdbot, and it's struggling victim, in the middle of the ruined foyer. Almost nonchantly the machine swings one wing forward and launches a missile from underneath one shoulder streaking towards the hapless innocents as they stand like deer in headlights...
Traveler
 player, 29 posts
 Oh, that's a flashlight
 installed in my eye...
Tue 13 Oct 2020
at 00:32
Re: The Bank Job
 "Aayeaha!," Traveler cries out in pain as his feels the man attempting to crush his skull while driving him to his knees, "lemme go!"

 He tried again to resume his infiltration in a rushed manner and not nearly as thoroughly this time, as he couldn't take another beating.

Traveler rolled 5 using 2d6+2 ((2,1)). Take a Powerful Blow

 Aaron was not in good shape already but his meager attempt to get into the opponents power systems one more time, and found the servo-controllers for the suit's hands, in his haste he attempted to simply scramble them to release him from Falcotron's grip. Success!

 With a huff, he managed a swift roll away from his attacker and into a quick portal. He reemerged behind the armored raptor, with a little luck he could turn this to advantage but this time he wouldn't be so cavalier.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:23, Yesterday.

Hound
 player, 34 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2020
at 00:01
Re: The Bank Job
I'll pick up 'angry'

Hound saw everything going south, and gritted her teeth. At least there was one thing she -was- good at. Getting hit.

With a bellowing roar, she launched herself out of the bank to intercept the missile!


18:58, Today: Hound rolled 11 using 2d6+1.  Defend the innocent! That was supposed to be a -1, not +1, so it comes out to a 9. I will clear 'Angry' and either expose myself to danger or escalate the situation, whichever our GM feels appropriate!

Shade
 player, 42 posts
 Legacy
Fri 16 Oct 2020
at 18:51
Re: The Bank Job
Seeing the opening made by the pellets, Shade runs in right after Hound.
14:49, Today: Shade rolled 10 using 2d6-1.  Take down.
Impress


He moves in close to one of the guards not covered by the pellet and takes him down, doing his best to ensure that the manager is t harmed in the process.
Plasti
 player, 33 posts
 Protege
Tue 20 Oct 2020
at 07:57
Re: The Bank Job
Plasti is shocked at the bank manager getting shot.  She just made things worse.  Maybe someone else could compartmentalize that better, or not let it bother them.  But they're not here right now, and it's just her.  So she chokes, just standing there as Shade and Hound act.  And then the villain stalks into the bank and shoots a missile at the just freed hostages.  That's no good!

Hound's superhuman speed gets her to the missile before Plasti can fully react, so her action to defend the hostages is redundant, but she keeps at it because no one else is going to get hurt if she has a chance.  She stretches across the bank, widening out to try and form a barrier between mecha-raptor and the hostages, reaching for something heavy with her arms and legs to anchor herself on.

OOC: if it pleases the GM, I'd like to call it spending a Team to help Hound, catching her or the blast from the missile.

And yes, slightly redundant, but it feels right.

Hound
 player, 36 posts
Wed 21 Oct 2020
at 16:58
Re: The Bank Job
I will -absolutely- take that team pool point!