The Bank Job.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
GM
 GM, 16 posts
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 21:20
The Bank Job
The explosion blows a hole in the wall the size of a basketball and scatters masonry dust and smoke across the teller area where Hound, Kick Chick and Shade are currently crouched along with two terrified members of bank staff. One still hammers on the button for the security shutters with trembling fingers, clearly a result of shock as the shutters are laying on the ground several feet away shredded like tissue paper. Whatever way you look at it this is a bad day for the First Metro Bank.

The source of the explosion stomps across the bank foyer towards you, following the smoking trail of the missile it just launched. The jury remains out on whether it is a robot or some suit of powered armour. Either way it is stylized into the rough shape of a bird; though presumably the designer had only ever seen birds in a nightmare or horror film. About eight feet tall it walks slightly hunched forwards with two huge wings outstretched before it and a had which mostly comprises of a huge hooked beak. Pretty much every surface on it which could be honed to an edge shines with that visible kind of sharpness you only get from the most obsessive sharpening Ė wing tips, point of the beak, clawed hands and you can even seen the points of the feet leaving gouges on the tiled floor.

You've only been in the bank for all of five minutes and have already seen it can fire missiles from launchers on the underside of the wings and lasers from the shoulder joints. Something you learn when Shade takes a peek over the top of the teller counter and two bright hot beams of red light sear a hole within inches of his head! Whoever designed this thing clearly likes weapons, and presuambly dislikes people, an awful lot.

To make matters worse the strange bird-thing isn't alone. Several men wearing overalls and plastic bird masks brandish a variety of small arms in support of the creature. Two have taken up a position behind the reception desk and are exchanging fire with the cops through what remains of the plate glass window at the front of the bank; two more are crouched in doorways to office the far side of the foyer taking potshots at you behind the teller desk around the hulking frame of the birdbot and you saw at least two leading some hostages into the vault - the huge metal door of which having been torn free, presumably by your huge metal assailant, before you arrived and now lies discarded in the middle of the foyer floor like a bad piece of modern art.

Thankfully beyond the two cowering employees pinned down with you and however many people were taken into the vault there doesnt seem to be any other innocents inside the bank, most having fled before you arrived.

Outside Echo, Traveler and Plasti stand sheltering with the two police cars which have pulled up just the other side of the street. The four officers take up textbook shooting positions but from the look in their eyes you know that they have realised there's nothing they can do to the hulking metal monstronsity you can see through the shattered glass. This calls for something, or someone, a bit special...

OOC: Read nothing into your starting positions; it felt a bit weird to have everyone start all together sheltering in the bank so I pretty much randomly selected who was in and who was out. Shouldn't stop anyone doing anything they want to at the outset. We have a big bad, we have nameless goons and we have hostages so plenty to be getting on with!

I've tried to keep things a bit vague with the layout of the bank so you can improvise as much as you want to in your posts. If people would like a bit more to go on with it I can expand (or even prepare one of my truly horrible maps in ms paint!) but I encourage the improv. Simiarly I was originally going to do a bit of backstory as to how you became involved but thought it might be more fun if you developed that as you went (or between you). Only parameter is that you have arrived very early on - perhaps ten minutes after it all started - hence why there are so few cops on the scene. That could be pure chance or you might have had some form of tip off.

Plasti
 player, 17 posts
 Protege
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 23:28
The Bank Job
A supervillain, themed henchmen, and hostages in a bank.  This is the part of being a superhero that Plasti has never really cared for.  And the team...

Pros: All on site, and no injuries yet
Cons: Split up, surprise lost, and partially pinned down

The bird-bot is clearly the biggest threat here, and the hostages in the vault are in the greatest danger.  How to handle this...

In a low voice, Plasti says, "Echo, can you scan for minds in the bank?  I want to know if that's a bird-bot or bird-suit."
Traveler
 player, 18 posts
 Oh, that's a flashlight
 installed in my eye...
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 23:54
The Bank Job
 Traveler takes stock of the situation, and slumps back down beside Plasti and Echo. This open air crime stopper stuff was still new to him and he had the feeling he wanted to hide, but he screws up his courage instead, getting into his game face. He whispers in his future accent, "Whatchu think Plasti? We gonna try to clip this birdies wings, eh? Maybe we lead him away from da 'nocents"
Hound
 player, 19 posts
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 00:06
The Bank Job
There were tactics, and then there was Hound. People were in danger, and she wasn't going to sit there and watch it all happen while discussing what could be done about it.

The black girl's skin began to twitch and ripple, and in a moment her entire body was neon rainbow hues. Her senses sharpened. Everything seemed to slow down.

"Get 'em to safety." She muttered under her breath, then charged forward, heaving up one of the bank desks to use as a battering ram on Big Bird.

Hound rolled 5 using 2d6+1.  Directly engaging a threat, +danger. Hoo boy. This isn't ending well. At least I get to mark potential!
Shade
 player, 25 posts
 Legacy
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 02:10
The Bank Job
Shade was thinking the same thing as Hound. He looks at the two tellers, seeing their name tags. ďI was thinking the same thing. Susan. Tom. Come with me. Keep close and stay low and behind me.ď He taps Tom on the shoulder and puts his hand on Susanís to stop her hitting the button and grabs them with him as he moves. He always keeps something between them and the gunfire as he moves towards a window. On the way, he pulls a window breaking gadget that looks like a little rod out of his belt and as he gets close he fires it.

It breaks a hole, almost silently in the window, big enough to get them out. Using his sheer athleticism, he practically throws the two out of the window fairly cleanly. He moves back to cover but heís separated from them now.


22:00, Today: Shade rolled 10 using 2d6+3.  Defend with Savior to get people out.
Hit!
Iíll add a team to the pool.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:19, Thu 10 Sept 2020.

Echo
 player, 14 posts
Thu 10 Sep 2020
at 19:45
The Bank Job
A prismatic aura of telekinetic power rippled around the girl crouched beside the two police officers. Though she wore simple clothes, they were subsumed entirely within the corona of her power, and focusing too long on her features stirred the beginnings of a headache.

Without a word, she answered Plasti's question by closing her eyes and putting her hands to her head, and as she did, a light shone from the center of her forehead, her hair drifting up into the air around her. Reaching out, she bounced from mind to mind, searching for one within the large, metallic bird . . .

I'm assuming this will be a roll of "Unleash your powers" to "extend my senses". 14:43, Today: Echo rolled 9 using 2d6+2.  Unleash my powers to search for a mind within the bird, +freak.

I'll elect to mark a condition and take Insecure as echo worries about losing control of her powers in the field.

GM
 GM, 21 posts
Sat 12 Sep 2020
at 19:54
The Bank Job
Echo powers reach out and she can immediately pinpoint the minds of everyone in the vicinity, then in the block then... she catches herself before it gets too far and focuses her powerful mind on the bank. She can immediately pinpoint a conscious mind inside the bird-thing, it's the one with the overwhelming sense of self confidence. Regardless it's definitely a bird suit and there's definitely a person in there.

* * *

Inside the bank Hound takes the initiative and rushes the birdbot with a large chunk of furniture. Despite her prodigious strength the desk shatters into firewood against the metal chest plate, barely leaving a scratch. In return it almost nonchalantly swings one clawed fist downwards in a hammerblow - smashing Hound down to the ground.

OOC: For that Hound will need to mark a condition (but you can pick which you think Hound, depending on her personality, would most feel after that big hit) and 'take a powerful blow'. Just think of that marked potential box!

Hound's wild attack isn't a complete failure, however, as it gives Shade the opportunity he needs to get the two innocents free. Keeping the bird-thing between them and the gunmen across the bank he rushes Susan and Tom across the space to the window and gets them free with a mix of gadgetry and tech. However, as they race towards the security of the police cars the two men everyone, in the bank and outside, can see the gunman at the window stop shooting the police and start to draw a bead on the unfortunate bank clerks!

OOC: Team point duly added.

Team Pool: 5

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:53, Sun 13 Sept 2020.

Traveler
 player, 20 posts
 Oh, that's a flashlight
 installed in my eye...
Sat 12 Sep 2020
at 20:41
The Bank Job
 Aaron peeks over the hood of the police car as Shade tosses the innocents free of the building, and grimaces as he hears Hound's words on the comms. She was too impulsive for her own good. He turns to the person he thinks has a good head on her shoulders, "I'm all ears Plasti!"

 Even as he says this he pops over the hood to cast a glowing-ringed portal at the ground before the running bank clerks. He hoped that he could get them away from danger before the gunmen in the upper story could take their shots. He yells to the sprinting pair, "Jump in!"

 Simultaneously, a ring of glowing fire appears behind the police barricade line, the exit of his portal, he hoped they would either fall in or jump into the gateway and thereby to some further safety.

13:37, Today: Traveler rolled 8 using 2d6+1.  Portal Tossing. I'll take a an angry.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:42, Sat 12 Sept 2020.

Hound
 player, 20 posts
Sun 13 Sep 2020
at 16:38
The Bank Job
11:33, Today: Hound rolled 4 using 2d6+1.  Take a powerful blow. Yes! Potential -and- a 'success'!

Hound snarled, a strange animalistic noise as she skidded across the floor from the blow. Almost immediately, she was up on her feet, but there was something in the way she gazed at the room. She was shaken. She was supposed to be better than this, and that growl made her realize she was slipping more towards 'hound' than 'human'.

I'll take insecure

"I'm not gonna be taken down like some chump!" She growled, and launched herself back at the robot-like thing.

11:38, Today: Hound rolled 6 using 2d6+1.  Directly engaging a threat, +danger.. Sigh. Anyone willing to toss me a team point so I can at least get -something- done in this fight?
Echo
 player, 16 posts
Sun 13 Sep 2020
at 21:56
The Bank Job
"There's someone inside that metal monster," Echo muttered before her eyes snapped open, still glowing with power.

In her mind, though, Echo was still tethered to that sentience within the armor, linked to it enough to see Hound bounding towards it. Precision was difficult, but with a grimace, she applied pressure, making their thoughts move like cold molasses . . . slow enough, hopefully, that her teammate would be able to connect.

I'll use my telepathy to slow the metal monster down enough for the Hound to get in and clobber him. I'll toss a team point your way.
GM
 GM, 23 posts
Mon 14 Sep 2020
at 19:29
The Bank Job
OOC: That assist nudges you up to a hit. Hound; that means you get to pick one of the 7-9 results!
Hound
 player, 22 posts
Tue 15 Sep 2020
at 00:22
The Bank Job
Coming in fast, Hound suddenly turned her charge into a slide across the floor, soccer-tackle-style. Her legs impacted one of the robot-armor-thing's supporting limbs, and sent it tumbling to the floor with a clang!

I will take 'create an opportunity for my allies' - The opportunity being to either get folks out or smack some goons while Big Bird gets back up again.