First Meetings.   Posted by Teller of Tales.Group: 0
Margaret Devor
 player, 6 posts
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 21:11
First Meetings
She had tried--truly she had--to make herself presentable in the more conventional manner.  Her dress was sturdily constructed, although perhaps a few years behind the times in style, although close inspection would reveal a few pinpricks where a spark had scored through fabric, her waist slung about with three narrow belts from which a few pouches (the head of a large spanner emerged from one of these) as well as a timepiece.

"Thank yee sir," she replied. "It's a pleasure meetin yee as wey."

She caught sight of Skarre, then averted her eyes, her expression almost reading outloud a self-admonition "don't stare, don't stare".    Then she caught sight of Samson Black, flushing all the more as she felt quite inadequate for the company, and settled on looking back somewhere in the vicinity of the floor by Arthur Westfel.
Skarre
 player, 8 posts
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 22:22
First Meetings
Skarre shrugged and lowered her hands. She then took up the brandy, gave a nod and a smirk. "There isn't much I fear."  She had a drink to suppress the urge bearing down on her. There were many things up here she did not understand but there were also many things they also did not care to learn about what lay below them.

Her eyes lazily turned and watched as Margaret entered. The look of her reminded Skarre of those who were with the Blackrock expeditions. More of a mental person then body it looked as well. There was also machine scent of her. Things of that nature had given Skarre more trouble then she thought.

When Margaret looked her way Skarre gave a little wave with her cuffed hands.
Cinnabar
 player, 10 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 03:52
Re: First Meetings
Amelie a young professor at Bernholdt University, knocks politely on the door and speaks to Westfel quietly. "This is the discovery I told you about, it was passed on to me by a friend of the family but I don't know how to deal with it other than bring it to you."

Without any further, or useful, explanation she retrieves a large box with pictures of orange fruit on the side from the floor outside the door and passes it to Westfel gently enough to not shake it, but not so carefully to suggest volitile content before she bolts down the hallway in the direction of her classroom no doubt late as always.

Upon opening the box Westfel discovers a small woman sleeping on a bed of moss, only after she shifts slightly and begins to wake up does it become apparent that some of the brightly colored objects in the box are in fact wings attached to her back and apparently functional as they flex and shift around as she sits up to a height that just barely puts her head above the edge of the box where she focuses on whoever just opened it.

She speaks in a higher pitched feminine voice, but not painfully so, or squeaky at all, more akin to a stringed instrument tuned into the upper range but still resonant enough to be easily heard.

"So we have arrived?  This is where the humans are trained?"
Samson Black
 player, 10 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 21:43
Re: First Meetings
Samson's lips had thinned as he took note of the appearance of the manacled woman; though the rest of his impression remained impassive.  Keeping his hands clasped firmly behind his back he was content to let Master Westfel handles matters in his own house, and merely tossed the woman a side glance that attempted to take her measure.

He gave Madame Devor a more formal and polite nod and moved to introduce himself, though his attention was soon ensnared by the newest arrival.  "Fascinating little creature," he muttered to himself as he observed the head appear from over the edges of the box.
Margaret Devor
 player, 7 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2020
at 23:20
Re: First Meetings
Margaret was glad that there was another arrival so soon after her own, diverting attention from her.  When the chained woman had gestured, Margaret found a little indignation rising--but, perhaps unfortunately, she knew her place all too well, and kept silent.  Being dismissed from attention for more interesting company so quickly did not either surprise or dismay her.

Having at least moderate intelligence, she was able to see the signs of wealth and privilege in Mr Black, and a young woman such as herself--just slightly above barely scraping by, from a poor family--was unlikely to have ever gotten as much attention as she had for a fleeting moment.  But now, the interesting notion of a living being emerging from such a small box was enough that she quietly waited, though curiosity was still writ loudly across her face despite her outward silence.
Teller of Tales
 GM, 24 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2020
at 23:40
Re: First Meetings
"Fascinating. A true marvel. Rumors persisted of one leaving their domain but I'd hardly given it much credence..." Westfel's tone was low, barely above a whisper, more meant for his own mumbled musings than actual conversation. Within moments of Cinnabar speaking, however, he seemed to rouse himself from his reverie, voice rising to a more conversational level as he set the box onto the table.

"Greetings. It's an honor to meet one such as yourself. I'm afraid I haven't been introduced. My name is Arthur Westfel, acting Dean of the Bernholdt University, where men and women of both magic and science can study their preferred subjects. May I inquire as to your name?"
Cinnabar
 player, 12 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 01:36
Re: First Meetings
It doesn't even take Cinnabar a moment to zero in on the obvious leader in the room, even his whispered musings catch her attention, but the reply is one of significantly more formality even if it speaks to some level of ignorance about his undefined terms.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Arthur Westfel, acting Dean of the Bernholdt University.
 You may call me Cinnabar, I am an apprentice Druid and have come to learn the truth of recent rumors among my own people that speak of constructs that are able to conflict with the powers of magic, some of the young elves said they could facilitate that search and offered me this form of concealment so I could bypass the dangers of their world on the way to it."

Teller of Tales
 GM, 25 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 04:14
Re: First Meetings
That Cinnabar had, apparently, traveled all the way from Elysium in a box was somewhat of an entertaining thought. Before Westfel could comment further on the pixie, or her reason for being here, a knock at the door distracted him. A man stepped in, looking for all the stressed  and worn out. He paused only a moment at those already present before stepping over to Westfel and drawing him to the side. The conversation is a quick back and forth, too low for any present to make out, before Westfel sighs and raises his voice to more audible levels.

"Well, we'll have to work out what we can. She came to us for help, and I'm not one to go back on my word. Send her in, if you will."

"Of course, Mr. Westfel."

"And if you could, send word for Elizabeth to cease poking at the poor entity that arrived on our doorstep and send him in as well."

The man merely nods before exiting the room. A few minutes later, and he returns, this time leading what appears to be a pretty woman, dressed very much like one of the upper class. Westfel smiles as she's brought in, though a quick glance of his eyes at the two more magical members betrays some small amount of unease.

"Ms. Brasswright, a pleasure to see you looking a bit more yourself. I hope the accommodations provided have proved sufficient, I'm afraid even with outside support there's only so much we can provide on short notice."
Primrose Brasswright
 player, 16 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 16:41
Re: First Meetings
Prim poked her head in the door and smiled at everyone before pushing inside and curtsying to those assembled. Her movements were fluid and graceful, almost unnaturally so. She clasped her hands at her waist and nodded to Mr. Westfel. "I feel much better, thank you," she stated, holding her arm out indicatively and giving it a flex at the elbow. "I appreciate the help. If there's anything I can do to return the favor?"

She paused and looked at the others. "My apologies. My name is Primrose. It's a pleasure to meet you all." She seem to be studying their faces, letting her gaze linger on each person in turn for only a few seconds more than was comfortable in each case.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:41, Thu 08 Oct 2020.

Skarre
 player, 11 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 21:41
Re: First Meetings
Skarre sipped on the bourbon as she closely watched the box and the tiny being that came out. She could feel the urge pointing her to it. It was not over whelming but it was there. Her patron wanted her to at least watch this tiny Druid. Was that all she was here for? Though Cinnabar did give her another clue. It was to find out why magic and these new constructs could not work near each other. To be able to cancel out magic and the constructs would be some powerful information if one could figure out how do recreate it while bypassing the affects on one's self.

She slightly wondered if powerful enough constructs were built if the floating lands would fall down into the Maelstrom. Skarre laughs lightly to herself and looks to the others with a smile still on her face.

Yet another person entered the room. Skarre lazily shifted her eyes to Primrose. Again she raised her glass this time to Primrose. "Charmed to meet you, I'm Skarre." How many more would join this little group...
Teller of Tales
 GM, 26 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2020
at 23:35
Re: First Meetings
"Perhaps there is, but we're waiting on one more to arri- Ah, here we are. Ms. Brasswright, if you would perhaps move a bit further into the room please." Westfel guided the woman in question to a seat that was as far from the door as possible, even as the final arrival could be seen stepping inside. Westfel maintained his gentle smile all the while, even in the face of something, or perhaps someone, so blatantly inhuman. "Hello! Please come in. I don't believe we've been introduced since you arrived at our esteemed university. I'm Arthur Westfel, the dean here."
Samson Black
 player, 13 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 00:38
Re: First Meetings
Offering the newest entry a polite nod, but not wishing to overwhelm the young woman, Samson keeps his attention towards the smallish creature and her interesting... appendages.  Sidling up to Lady Devor the young man leans over and whispers in her ear. "Do you think those wings molt," he asks with an inquisitive interest; and perhaps a little hope that the answer might be- yes.
Aen
 player, 10 posts
 Living Pocket Dimensions
 Are People Too
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 00:48
Re: First Meetings
As Westfel did so, Aen peeped in through the door, showing as little of himself as possible -- which wasn't hard, considering his cloak covered him entirely and shrouded even his face from view (save the eyes -- two glowing spots of purple light piercing through the darkness -- that one might reckon were singularities in space).
He hesitated a moment. Shy but intense curiosity burned in those piercing violet eyes as he looked back and forth across the room before slowly entering. No footsteps were audible, though his robes did appear to be dragging across the floor; as his full form came into view, however, it was obvious that he was not touching the ground fully, and even more interestingly a pair of strange wing-like structures were on his back, only visible from the front, as though they were two-dimensional. They were incredibly beautiful, almost like wing-shaped windows into a starry night sky...
He said nothing as he entered, for his presence certainly announced itself; he moved to the seat he was shown, and pondered for a moment, cocking his head to the side slightly, then sitting down slowly as though he did not trust the object's solidity. Then the others might notice something else, if they were perceptive -- almost as though he were communicating without actual words, or more accurately bypassing them, writing his thoughts directly into the air around him that they might be perceived by the others there for their meaning.

// Hello, everyone. I hope I am not too terribly unnerving to you all... //

This message was last edited by the player at 00:48, Fri 09 Oct 2020.

Margaret Devor
 player, 8 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 01:20
Re: First Meetings
Margaret had been sitting quietly, observing as thoughts whirled through her mind as fast-turning gears might move.

She startled at the voice whispering in her ear, squashing down the outward expression of indignation that he should be so forward so soon after their introduction, but Margaret knew her place well.

"I will admit, Mr Black," she said, "that I have not made a study of such possibilities."  She shifted ever so slightly in her seat as to move away from the man, although not so much as to have drawn attention to her reaction.  Not, Margaret reflected, that her reaction was likely to gather much note now that perhaps the last arrival had entered.
Skarre
 player, 12 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 02:28
Re: First Meetings
Skarre was about to take a final drink of what was left of the bourbon when another, thing?, entered. When it did Skarre could not really move as she felt the urge swell with much intensity. She held onto the cup and just looked at the hooded figure. So this was the main thing it was interested in.  What the hell did her patron want? For her to kill it? Could it even be killed?  But no she did not think that was what he wanted. Information though, that had to be it.

So she was to watch this thing for him? Find out what it even was? Well she would do her best. Then it spoke? It did feel a bit unnerving. "Well hello to you too." She said and downed the last of the bourbon.
Primrose Brasswright
 player, 17 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 02:57
Re: First Meetings
"What are you?" Prim asked unabashedly of the newcomer, absolutely no expression on her face to denote she realized if it was rude or not.
Aen
 player, 14 posts
 Living Pocket Dimensions
 Are People Too
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 13:04
Re: First Meetings
Aen took a moment to consider his response, before finally settling on an answer that was probably not what anyone was expecting, if there were expectations at all.

// I am not fully certain myself; though I know I am unlike any of you, I have not had time of yet to determine precisely what caused me to come to be. I have consented to the university's desires to research into my nature, partially because this information would be novel to me as well. //

Notably, Aen did not appear offended by Prim's question...though it would be difficult to tell by just his expression, there was an emotional component to his method of communication, sort of analogous to a tone of voice, that indicated here that he was answering candidly rather than feeling hurt. He also appeared to notice that Skarre was eying him, for he returned her gaze directly for a brief but distinct moment in time. But he didn't mention it, nor did he appear particularly hostile to her; actually, it was almost a child-like curiosity, as though he weren't sure if the "correct" response was to make eye contact here.
Primrose Brasswright
 player, 18 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 13:36
Re: First Meetings
Prim seemed to consider these words, nodding. "It is strange knowing not what you are I suppose. I haven't really really considered it." Her eyes squinted and her brow furrowed thoughtfully. It actually hadn't occurred to her, until that moment, that she herself lacked that sort of insight. She'd never thought to ask. But then, it was unlikely master would have answered. "My first memory is waking up on a workbench. But sometimes I think I recall more when I dream. Master says I can't dream so there is a distinct possibility this is a malfunction." If she was over-sharing, it didn't seem to occur to her. This appeared to be candor.
Teller of Tales
 GM, 28 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 20:42
Re: First Meetings
Westfel was quick, after the exchange between those present, to direct everyone to find their seats. While some of those present were expected, even recruited for this very purpose, others he was less certain in their willingness, or even desire, to aid the coming endeavor. The pixie, for one, was a rather sudden and unexpected arrival, not to mention the enigma that were the two very much inhuman beings that occupied the room. Still... perhaps negotiations could be conducted after the state of affairs, and the purpose of it all, was laid out plainly.

Once everyone was seated, Westfel took his place at the head of the table, taking another moment to settle himself before speaking once more.

"Once again, for the sake of appearances, I shall introduce myself. I am Arthur Westfel, acting Dean of the Berholdt University. For some of you, the work of this place is obvious, for others, I shall explain. Science and Magic, for reasons unknown, do not mix. Where one exerts its influence, the other cannot. They are mutually destructive. This simple fact, along with so many others, has brought our society into conflict with itself. Nowhere is that more apparent then here, on Europa. Divisions have begun to appear, ever widening gaps that only stoke the flames of hate and fear. This will, almost inevitably, lead to war. True war, the likes of which have not been seen for centuries.

"Myself and a number of my colleagues set up this university in the hopes that it would serve as a symbol that those who practice magic and science can put aside their differences and work together to improve the world. We've had some success, and we've had failures, but ultimately we have helped change the minds of many, at least within the vicinity of our esteemed halls.

"The same, sadly, cannot be said of regions farther afield. Tensions continue to rise, and violence has begun breaking out. While it is merely simple skirmishes and riots at the moment, the signs point to things getting much worse before they get better. That is unless someone intervenes. It has been decided then, that we shall gather individuals of exceptional talents and send them out to investigate matters and work to find solutions that calm the powder keg waiting to go off. So it is that all of you, or rather MOST of you are here.

"It is our hope that those we've gathered can work together to stop the worst from happening, and save us all from pointless bloodshed. I know this is rather sudden, and that some of you can't hope to understand all that is going on, so please, if you have questions I'd be more than happy to answer what I can. Cinnabar, I realize this is not at all what you intended upon arriving here, and once I'm finished here, I'd be more than willing to answer your specific questions regarding your journey and its purpose."
Cinnabar
 player, 14 posts
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 22:36
Re: First Meetings
The flurry of action after the box of oranges is opened takes Cinnabar a little while to adjust to, but once everyone is settled down and the real objective starts to become clear she turns her focus to that topic as well, when Westfel has concluded the introduction she speaks almost immediately.

"My purpose in coming here is not entirely different, I seek to verify recent rumors that machines have become advanced enough to conflict with the natural course of magic, and if possible determine a way to protect my home from that problem.  If what you say is true than it seems you have enough information on hand to confirm the former question, and are already beginning to look into the later problem."
Aen
 player, 15 posts
 Living Pocket Dimensions
 Are People Too
Sun 11 Oct 2020
at 14:43
Re: First Meetings
The strange being appeared to consider the issue for a while, though the invisibility of his face made determining his views on the matter through body language difficult. When his thoughts manifest again, the tone was one of slight concern, although it appeared to not be entirely new information to him.

// I have noticed in the brief time I have been here, that certain objects give me strangely unpleasant sensations as I get closer to them...by the notable patterns I have determined that these must be the "science" to which you are referring. If this is the case, then I am definitely a creature of the other, "magic," that opposes it. Either way, if it will give me a chance to learn more about myself and about this world, then I see no reason not to assist. //
Skarre
 player, 13 posts
Sun 11 Oct 2020
at 14:59
Re: First Meetings
Skarre walked over to the table and pulled out a chair and sat down in it leaning back. She glanced at the where Westfe; had gotten the alcohol from then looked at the man and the others who had joined, notably Aen. She smiled a bit when Westfel talked about piontless blood shed. "But bloodshed with a point is ok, yes?"

Looking to the next two who spoke she listened quietly. So Aen was just pure magic? What all could it do?

"I am for keeping the natural order of things. Magic is by it's nature natural and what has been with us forever. This new science is up setting the balance.  You have to look no further then Blackrock. They are seeking to destroy everything natural for their own greedy needs."
Margaret Devor
 player, 9 posts
Sun 11 Oct 2020
at 23:39
Re: First Meetings
"The new science," began Margaret, somewhat heatedly, and then she took a breath to speak in a more calm manner. Act like a lady, even if you aren't one, she scolded herself, "is just as much a part of nature as anything else.  We were given minds to be used.  Greed is something to be guarded against, to be sure, but it would be a grave error to consider the new knowledge to be some unnatural graft onto the world."
Teller of Tales
 GM, 29 posts
Thu 15 Oct 2020
at 16:24
Re: First Meetings
"Please, everyone, calm down. We seek cooperation between magician and scientist alike, not conflict. Still, this seems an excellent example of the tension we are hoping to defuse. Each has merits, and neither deserves to be destroyed to facilitate the other." Westfel sighs dramatically, even as he rubs at his eyes tiredly. "There's much we don't understand about how the two interact, and we're hoping we can discover why they seem so opposed, but until then we must keep the world from descending into madness."
Skarre
 player, 14 posts
Fri 16 Oct 2020
at 19:27
Re: First Meetings
Skarre smiles at Margaret as the other seems to take offense to what she had said. This could be fun She thought smiling still. Then her attention was turned back to the one who brought them all here, Westfel.

"So what do you propose? Some playing around with the new science and magic to see why they can not get along? Not something that seems in my skill set. The keeping the world from descending into madness, that is something I have done a bit. Like I said the Blackrock are going very much unchecked. "