Haunted Lighthouse.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 17 posts
 Narrator
 Rules Arbiter
Thu 5 Nov 2020
at 21:40
Haunted Lighthouse
Three pairs of adventurers stand atop a hundred foot tall coastal cliff in the midst of a storm. About two hundred feet offshore is a modest lighthouse on a small, rocky isle. An eerie green light emanates from the lighthouse beacon, shining from the northern tip of the Mere of Dead Men, along the cliffs of the Sword Coast, and for miles out into the Sea of Swords.

As the six souls watch a small, two mast sailing ship plows full speed into the isle bearing the light house. The violent waves quickly sweep the wreckage, presumably with all hands aboard, off the rocks and settles it down amidst the masts of four other wrecks. The green beacon pulsates as thunder rolls and lightning strikes a lightning rod on the roof of the structure.

Two of the six watchers, a pair of satyrs, stand at the top of a 10 foot wide staircase carved into the cliff side. It is clearly a carefully made stairway, all the steps are smooth and equal in size, which extends all the way down to the waves. At the waterline there is a causeway constructed of stone blocks connecting the stairwell on the shoreline to a similar stairwell on the lighthouse island. Waves break and crash over the causeway constantly but passage would theoretically be possible. The stairs are slick with rain and there are no hand rails.

Another pair of observers, a lizardfolk and a minotaur, are on the slope leading down from the grasslands into the relatively peaceful waves of the swamp. A giant crab large enough to eat a man is trundling up the same slope about 50 feet away from them and waves a claw above its head in the pounding rain. A voice is briefly audible before being drowned out by thunderclaps.

The final pair of watchers, a human and a kobold, find themselves between the two other parties. They have nothing but sheer cliffs in front of them. If they wish to approach the lighthouse they'll likely need to pass one of the other adventuring parties.
Skia
 Player Character, 6 posts
Thu 5 Nov 2020
at 23:32
Haunted Lighthouse
Skia strums her lute as her eyes wander gleefully over the area, smiling she turns to her companion, "Look Trystan, there are others who decided to come out the spoooooky lighthouse!" she says excitedly, "I wonder if that crab is a familiar?  Or if it plans on eating someone?"  She waves at the human and kobold "Well, that's a strange combination." she thinks as she waves them over "Haloooo, are you here to investigate the lighthouse?  Maybe we can make a team of it?" and then turns to the other two, "You might want to watch out for the crab there if it isn't your friend."

As she waits for the other two groups to d3ecide what they want to do she dances a little jig to the music she is playing.
Greyson Dawn
 Player Character, 6 posts
 Valkur steer our
 ships to victory!
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 00:35
Haunted Lighthouse
Greyson looks down at the lighthouse and senses the obvious - that something here is very, very wrong. The green light makes him feel a little ill.

He looks down to the kobold that somehow he has ended up traveling with. "Well, looks like we found it," he says, now stating the obvious. His eyes narrow as the ship appears, and he gasps quietly.

"By Valkur's beard no!" he hisses. He puts one hand to his heart, the other to his brow. "Captain of the Waves, steer them from this place..." The prayer seems to fall on deaf ears as the horrible wreck occurs. He gasps again, his face going nearly as white as his hair.

He looks to his companion. "We must see if any have survived. It may not be too late to help."

He turns on his heel, heading toward the stairway near the satyrs and hearing Skia's words. "Yes, come, help if you can!"

Despite the urgency, he moves carefully, watching his step, knowing that wearing armor close to the water has its own dangers.
Trystan
 Player Character, 7 posts
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 01:51
Haunted Lighthouse
"It would be nice to have additional company while looking around the lighthouse wouldn't it?" Trystan asked his companion Skia.

When he saw the wreck happen he took in a quick breath, grabbed onto the amulet of Lliira, and took a draw of his wine.  When the human called up to them for help, he yelled back, "Yes, there may still be survivors, can never give up hope!"
Rik'arial
 Player Character, 6 posts
 Nature can be harsh
 People are made of meat
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 02:06
Haunted Lighthouse
Traveling with a minotaur was certainly a new experience for Rik'arial.  A mammal was normally seen as just food.  This one however had proven useful.  So not food was named Gallak.  Not only that, by whatever fates there be, their goals seemed to line up.  Fortunate.  Most fortunate.

The storm was no bother to Rik'arial as they continued on their journey.  The blue-gray scaly hide of his was relentlessly pounded, but he felt no discomfort.  Nostrils flared and contracted in rhythm as he took a breath.  His natural breathing rate was far slower than most mammalian beings.  His heart rate a similar slow rate as well.  His long black forked tongue flicked in and out of his mouth from time to time, his head tended to bob ever so slightly and he seemed to be constantly looking left to right and back again as they went.  Ever on the hunt.

He witnessed the wreck with an almost casual indifference.  It made no difference to him what happened to someone who was risking sailing this close to land in a storm like this.  The lizardman tilted his head slightly as he heard the man began shouting for aid in helping the ship survivors.  Rik'arial uttered a snort clearly making no effort to follow.  "Why?"  He called out after Greyson, offering only a shrug.  "Nature has already claimed them as meat to feed her children in the sea."


Rik'arial easily spotted the giant crab waving its claw. His tongue flicked in and out tasting the air towards the creature.  Uttering a hiss and growl the lizardman focused his eyes on the giant crab, his walking pace stopping.  This was an unfamiliar creature.  Caution was advised.  For him however caution was just preparation for being aggressive.  The stones collected as he had traveled were chosen seemingly for size rather than beauty.  That was certain, they were dirty ugly things but sized each perfect for tossing by hand.

Holding the stones in his left, he waved the right hand over them in a rhythmic pattern while muttering a quick few words in Draconic, Rik'arial summoned his magic gifted to him by nature itself. The cantrip spell imbued the stones with magic energy, making far more formidable than they were naturally.  "Come no closer shellman!"  Rik'arial shouted to the giant crab, clutching one of the stones in his right hand, seemingly ready to throw it...


OOC:  Casting Magic Stone Cantrip to power up my throwing stones (bonus action).

Holding action if the crab approaches any closer and/or makes any hostile moves, he's gonna attack.

Gallak
 Player Character, 9 posts
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 09:59
Haunted Lighthouse
Gallak tugged his cloak closer around him as the rain pelted down on him and his companion. He wasn't nearly as waterproof as Rik'arial. The rain had already soaked most of his fur, and the chain mail he wore was cold because of it. He watched with mild interest as the ship met its fate upon the rocks and the call from Greyson to try and aid them. With Rik'arial turning his attention to the large crab, Gallak shifts his shoulder to free the hilt of the massive sword strapped to his back. The movement causes the hammer at his side to sway, and Gallak pats it back into place. Reaching up he takes hold of the hilt of his sword but doesn't draw it forth. Instead he lets out a loud bellow at the crab, in an attempt to intimidate it. Though its only after he does this that he wonders if it will have any effect on the other travelers perception of him and Rik'arial. Though with the storm he may not be heard well enough to have any effect at all.

04:57, Today: Gallak rolled 13 using 1d20+4.  Intimidation.
Skia
 Player Character, 8 posts
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 14:06
Haunted Lighthouse
"Help with wha..." Skia begins to ask as she follows her fellow satyr's gaze out onto the water, "Oh my!" she exclaims upon noticing the sailors plight and begins carefully descending the stairs in front of her, watching to see if there are any survivors.  Hearing the lizard's reply and it's companion's bellow she watches them closely as she continues, "For perhaps they are not adventurers at all." she thinks to herself as she continues carefully down the slippery steps.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 20 posts
 Narrator
 Rules Arbiter
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 17:09
Haunted Lighthouse
Splitting her attention between looking for wreck survivors, and watching the boisterous lizardfolk and minotaur, and keeping her balance proves unwise for Skia. She slips, landing squarely on her buttocks but luckily near the safe side of the path; falling in the other direction could have led to a fatal drop. As she lay on the stone steps she can tell she is badly bruised and will still be feeling this in the morning.

While surveying the spot where the wreckage sunk, Trystan spots a creature jumping out of the water. He couldn't tell whether it was dolphin or shark or merfolk. However, given how shallow the water is here it is a safe bet to say that reef sharks are picking the five ship wrecks clean of any meat or flesh.

As Greyson scans the waters for survivors his attention his diverted by the flash of three simultaneous bolts of lightning. Each bolt travels a near perfectly vertical path into the waters far beyond the lighthouse and are evenly spaced apart; much like the holy symbol of Valkur. A few moments later three more bolts strike the lighthouse's lightning rod from widely different angles; similar to the holy symbol of Talos. All of these strikes stir a trio of winged humanoids from the roof of the tower to settle down on the lower roof of the structure's residential area.

The giant crab approaching Rik'arial and Gallak stops abruptly and scuttles a few steps back. The male voice is heard again. "Well met! I help you and you help me. My friend was murdered in the lighthouse. I will help you get there if you avenge her. Many legs makes for sure footing. If you have rope then let us be a centipede on a slippery path. What say you? "

OOC:

09:37, Today: Dungeon Master, on behalf of Skia, rolled 6 using 1d20+2.  Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.

09:18, Today: Dungeon Master, on behalf of Trystan, rolled 14 using 1d20+3.  Intelligence (Nature).

09:07, Today: Dungeon Master, on behalf of Greyson Dawn, rolled 12 using 1d20-1.  Intelligence (Religion).

08:58, Today: Dungeon Master, on behalf of Greyson Dawn, rolled 21 using 1d20+5.  Wisdom (Perception).

Skia takes 1 point of bludgeoning damage and is now Prone.

Jiss'Drax
 Player Character, 4 posts
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 21:50
Haunted Lighthouse
Greyson Dawn:
He looks to his companion. "We must see if any have survived. It may not be too late to help."

He turns on his heel, heading toward the stairway near the satyrs and hearing Skia's words. "Yes, come, help if you can!"

Despite the urgency, he moves carefully, watching his step, knowing that wearing armor close to the water has its own dangers.

Carrying his light crossbow in hand with a bolt nocked, the kobold watches the tableau before him, his green, reptilian eyes somehow conveying sadness at the shipwreck below.  When Greyson Dawn urges him to help, he silently nods his small crocodilian head and begins to follow the human.
Get there faster I can, I yips in Common, his speech pattern grammatically strange.  Provide help sooner I may.
With that said, wings unfurl from beneath his cloak and a pair of fins open near the tip of his tail, as he reaches up to take off his broad-brimmed hat to tuck into his
belt.  As he leaps from the edge, he mutters something in draconic.
This is probably a stupid idea.....

This message was last updated by the player at 04:53, Fri 13 Nov 2020.

Greyson Dawn
 Player Character, 8 posts
 Valkur steer our
 ships to victory!
Fri 6 Nov 2020
at 23:46
Haunted Lighthouse
Greyson intently watches the lightning at sea and close to shore, almost imagining that Valkur and Talos are involved in some sort of shouting match. He narrows his eyes, looking at the winged humanoids, wondering if he has seen anything like them before.

Greyson's eyes go a little wide as the little kobold goes over the edge, presumably trying to glide or some such thing. They have only been traveling together for a very short time, and this comes as a surprise.

His attention is diverted by the giant crab engaged in a conversation with the big lizardman and the big bull man. This certainly seems to be a nexus of strange activity.

But he knows he must not let the kobold get into trouble by himself. He heads down the steps as best he can, moving carefully and slowly.
Gallak
 Player Character, 11 posts
Sat 7 Nov 2020
at 00:49
Haunted Lighthouse
Gallak takes hand down from his sword and puts it on Rik'arial's shoulder. He gives the crab a smile as he responds."Seems that evil will not let those who whish peace to have it. Tell us of your friend and the lighthouse so we may best decide how to proceed. Dead men rush where wise men question." Gallak glances at the other adventures heading down to the lighthouse as he says this. "I am called Gallak my friend, and I've come to restore peace to this area and perhaps provide some just rulership if needed."


Insight to see if I believe the Crab and its story.

19:47, Today: Gallak rolled 17 using 1d20+2.  Insight.

Rik'arial
 Player Character, 8 posts
 Nature can be harsh
 People are made of meat
Sat 7 Nov 2020
at 01:44
Haunted Lighthouse
Rik'arial eyes narrow at the crab creature when it spoke.  Unfamiliar with its species, the lizardman seemed to weigh his options, tongue flicking in and out a few times.  He only took his eyes off the crabman while glancing to Gallak when the minotaur put his hand on his shoulder.

Rik'arial flinched away from the touch uttering a short hiss as he regarded the crab creature.  "Fine."  He still held the stone, but was no longer preparing to throw it.  "Speak your words."
Trystan
 Player Character, 8 posts
Sat 7 Nov 2020
at 15:53
Haunted Lighthouse
"We may want to hurry!  Something's eating the people out there!" Trystan says as he begins scooting as safely as he can, as quickly as he can, down the stairs.