The Canyon.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 133 posts
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 14:09
Re: The Canyon
Quicker than the green slime Ben away. Fiene stood with flaming robes to await Connor to ignite himself.

Amongst the nearby trees Beryl could not amongst the deadfall find a stick strong enough to be used in combat.

OOC We shall await Connor's post.
Siward
 player, 18 posts
 Cleric 1
 HP 4/4
Tue 5 Jan 2021
at 20:33
Re: The Canyon
Having no wine that he could offer toward the effort to free Conno from the slime, Siward remained a few paces back, whispering a quiet prayer to St. Ras.
DM
 GM, 137 posts
Mon 11 Jan 2021
at 07:41
Re: The Canyon
Whether it was Connor reaching for help in his dying throes, Fiene's flapping robe aflame or some chance stray ember caught on the breeze but the oil dowsed Connor suddenly burst into flame. The oil did not burn fast but slowly, roasting alive both friend and enemy. Man and slime burnt as black oily smoke rose into the sky. The fire burnt for many minutes after both victims had perished. What was left was blackened and crisp.

OOC Day: 1. Time: 11:40am. Turn: 16. Weather: Clear. Vision: Daylight. Movement: 20'

Lantern oil used Ben and Fiene: 10 Turns

Ben
 player, 72 posts
 MU 1 AC 9
 HP 3/3
Mon 11 Jan 2021
at 22:14
Re: The Canyon
"Welcome to Stonehell," Barnabas intones needlessly, before lapsing into a fit of coughing after inhaling a lungful of noxious smoke. He then staggers across the canyon, from north to south, to try the second of the two manmade tunnel entrances. At least one person, he wagers, will follow for she has been paid well for her attendance.

OOC Did dousing Connor consume the entirety of an oil flask?
DM
 GM, 139 posts
Tue 12 Jan 2021
at 07:41
Re: The Canyon
Across the other side of the Ben explored the other doorway. Ben walked passed the empty tree trunk where they had spotted the rabbit but nothing untoward occurred. Nearby to the west lay another ruined building, consisting of the remains of walls covered in thick growth of weeds.

The south doorway in the canyon when reached was bare stone walls, dirt and leaves were scattered about the floor. The air felt colder here and Ben felt a vague sense of unease.

OOC Yes the burning will have consumed the flask of oil.
Valerian
 player, 9 posts
Tue 12 Jan 2021
at 20:49
Re: The Canyon
The normally well-composed Prestidigitator took a deep breath and shut his eyes. He'd just seen a man consumed by green slime and burn to death at the same time. He ran through a series of complex formulae in his mind in an attempt to distract from the memories of the screams and the stench.
Fiene
 player, 42 posts
 AC 9 - HP 5/5
 Smart and Charming
Wed 13 Jan 2021
at 01:20
Re: The Canyon
Fiene was unsure what was expected at the moment.  "I suppose someone should say a prayer."  He says, looking to see if the man's supplies survived.

"Hold up there a moment Ben."  Fiene calls after the man. "I'll be right along."  He made his way to join up on the south side.
DM
 GM, 140 posts
Wed 13 Jan 2021
at 07:21
Re: The Canyon
A search of the burnt and partially devoured corpse of Connor revealed many items either burnt, warped, scarred or tattered. Amongst the detritus had survived a small pile of twenty gold coins.

At the cave on the south side of the canyon Fiene felt that the air was colder and had a vague sense of unease.
Anfinn Moarsson
 player, 18 posts
 Im pretty
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 21:48
Re: The Canyon
What the hell is going in there...?

Anfinn slowly walks towards the smell. But will stop short once he sees any of the group.
Beryl Plotz
 player, 24 posts
 HP 3 / AC 5
 Cleric / Hobo
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 22:38
Re: The Canyon
Beryl continues to look for a decent stick, as he has no other use to the party. If he fails to find one soon, he will head back to town.
DM
 GM, 142 posts
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 23:01
Re: The Canyon
Following his nose Anfinn saw the burnt corpse of Connor. Elsewhere he saw Beryl scratching about in a small copse of trees to the west. To his south the conjurors Barnabus and Fiene were peering into another cave.
Fiene
 player, 44 posts
 AC 9 - HP 5/5
 Smart and Charming
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 23:36
Re: The Canyon
Without out much fanfare, Fiene adds dead man's coin into a small sack.  If nothing else, it could buy a few rounds if the rest of them manage to make it back.

Staring into the darkness, "Not much sense in standing outside staring at it." He says, ushering Ermangard to come along he shines his lantern to light his steps before him.
Beryl Plotz
 player, 26 posts
 HP 3 / AC 5
 Cleric / Hobo
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 23:52
Re: The Canyon
With a shrug, Berly heads back in to the cave. "Let me know if anyone sees anything that much work as a club or staff, Did we get all of the green stuff?"
Ben
 player, 74 posts
 MU 1 AC 9
 HP 3/3
Thu 14 Jan 2021
at 23:59
Re: The Canyon
->Examine vague sense of unease.
You can't find a "vague sense of unease".

->Enter entrance.
You can't enter an "entrance".

>South
You enter the entrance.
DM
 GM, 144 posts
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 07:39
Re: The Canyon
Boldly Fiene and Ben entered the second cave. The chamber was of bare stone walls. The air was chill, dirt and dead leaves are scattered around the stone flagstones. Other rooms to the east and west can be seen but they seem very dark in shadows and their contents can not be seen from where the two adventurers stand, although to the west the shadows to do appear to contain spots of a blue-black glow.


Valerian
 player, 10 posts
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 13:44
Re: The Canyon
Valerian turns to the newcomer.

"Our first encounter with green slime. We just lost a companion, sadly."

He gives a deep sigh.

"As much as I hate to say it, we need to research how to better prepare for this sort of encounter in the future."
Ben
 player, 76 posts
 MU 1 AC 9
 HP 3/3
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 21:49
Re: The Canyon
Drawn by glowing blue-black spots, Barnabas ventures to the west and holds his lantern aloft to illuminate the way. At a minimum, one follows him, the amply compensated youngish woman-at-arms, Nerida.
DM
 GM, 145 posts
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 22:33
Re: The Canyon
The room remained in shadow even as Ben took his lantern closer. Within the shadows Ben counted twelve dim glowing blue lights. Nerida followed but she clearly felt the same unease that Fiene and Ben had felt as she was skittish as she followed. When Ben reached the door of the west room he saw that it was twenty foot by thirty foot. Hidden within in the shadows were six skeletons, their blue-black eyes sockets glowed eeriely as they moved to attack.

OOC I'm happy to decide that neither side would be surprised. So I need characters to declare spells, retreats and what's in their hands.

Day: 1. Time: 12:00pm. Turn: 18. Weather: Clear. Vision: Daylight. Movement: 20'

Lantern oil used Ben and Fiene: 12 Turns

DM
 GM, 146 posts
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 22:43
Re: The Canyon


OOC Rough sketch of map
Ben
 player, 78 posts
 MU 1 AC 9
 HP 3/3
Fri 15 Jan 2021
at 23:11
Re: The Canyon

18:09, Today: Ben rolled 3 using 1d6.  init.

Ben: Retreat Hand 1: lantern Hand 2: empty
Nerida: Attack Hand 1: war hammer Hand 2: shield
Beryl Plotz
 player, 28 posts
 HP 3 / AC 5
 Cleric / Hobo
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 01:50
Re: The Canyon
Beryl still wishes someone would have answered his question about the nasty green stuff, but current circumstances seem to take precedence.

If he sees the skeletons, he will attempt to turn them.

Holding aloft the holy symbol of Auril, goddess of the heavens and sky, his quavering voice calls out, "begone, foul abominations, in the name of Auril your presence is an offense to all that is good and holy!"

17:47, Today: Beryl Plotz rolled 11 using 2d6.  turn undead using the right dice.

17:50, Today: Beryl Plotz rolled 6 using 2d6.  how many HD turned.

Fiene
 player, 45 posts
 AC 9 - HP 5/5
 Smart and Charming
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 01:58
Re: The Canyon
Fiene makes a retreat.  "There are bones walking!" he calls, his voice slightly panicked.


ooc:  Lantern and 10' pole
DM
 GM, 147 posts
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 10:25
Re: The Canyon
The eerie skeletons stepped forward as Ben fled, calling for Nerida to strike them down. The young girl held her warhammer at the ready. The sight of Ben fleeing the caves and with Fiene close on his heels calling a warning to the others Beryl was warned of their presence and summoned the divine power of Auril, the powers of the heavens froze the skeletons in their tracks. The six abominations faltered in their stride and creakingly they back away against the far wall of the small chamber and remained there.

OOC Combat is over!

Day: 1. Time: 12:00pm. Turn: 18. Weather: Clear. Vision: Daylight. Movement: 20'

Lantern oil used Ben and Fiene: 12 Turns

Beryl Plotz
 player, 29 posts
 HP 3 / AC 5
 Cleric / Hobo
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 10:38
Re: The Canyon
Quite stunned that his efforts had worked, Beryl stands, mouth agape, for a few seconds.

"I have no clue how long this will last," he admits to the party. "Perhaps we should...? I don't know actually."

He looks to the others for advice.
Beryl Plotz
 player, 31 posts
 HP 3 / AC 5
 Cleric / Hobo
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 11:25
Re: The Canyon
"I fear that after a short period of time, they will again be able to attack us. I would suggest that a few of the more militant among us focus on one of them at a time. Once attacked, they will defend themselves, but not each other, so if you attack just one, the others should stand by unresisting. We should be able to deal with the lot of them that way."

He holds his empty hands out to the others.

"I no longer have a weapon, so it will be up to someone else to do the dirty here."