Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)   Posted by Mr DM.Group: 0
Taklinn Coalburner
 player, 3 posts
 Dwarf Ranger
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 08:22
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Taklinn patted his vestment, found a final hip-flask hidden under the layers of cloth and mail, and uncorked it with a satisfied "Ha!". A look of disappointment spread across his face as it proved to be empty as well. With a sigh, he glared at the towering orc beside him.

"Aye, that it will be. What's brings ye to those new lands, Orc? Not everyday ones of youse takes the road - or water - with the so-called civilized folks. So far we seem to be a pretty wild bunch. Anything but plain ol' humans, eh? I guess they want to send in the expendables first before setting up shop." he concluded with a chuckle.
Mr DM
 GM, 8 posts
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 12:40
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Taklinn Coalburner:
"Aye, capt'n, just when me fzg'hart ran out, perfect timing! Now that I got used to this ship o'yers, I'm curious as to what me legs will do once we reach the shore. How long till we're here, dy'ou reckon?"


"Well me little dumpling I find whenever I have to leave me beloved ship for land I tend to stumble around like a drunkard for the first week or so, but once I stop drinking I'm generally pretty steady on the old sea legs!"
replied Captain Luren to Taklinn.

At this point when the adventurers were mentally preparing themsleves to set foot on the unexplored continent, the attention of all of them was drawn to a massive explosion of water in the distance as several huge tentacles exploded out of the depths seeming to seek out the nearest ship, which happened to be the war galley Mercy For None, and attempted to shatter the vessel with it's coils.

"KRAKEN! PREPARE TO REPEL BOARDERS!" cried out Captain Luren.

Turning to the nearby adventurers he barked out quick orders.

"Where there's a kraken there is bound to be kraken spawn!  Prepare your steel and spells me lovelies!   Those of you who can fight engage anything that attempts to clamber aboard, if you are shooting or have spells pick your targets carefully!  Anything that looks like a leader or spellcaster you bring them down as soon as you can!" and with that the Captain set about preparing the rest of crew for combat against whatever attempts to board.

OOC: Please roll Initiative everybody and once you have then we will get the order and start the shenanigans

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:41, Fri 05 Feb 2021.

Mr DM
 GM, 9 posts
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 12:45
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
CURRENT INTIATIVE ORDER

Solwyn rolled 18 using 1d20+3
Teoshi rolled 17 using 1d20-1
Tumenril Moonshadow rolled 15 using 1d20+3
Captain Luren, rolled 15 using 1d20
Taklinn Coalburner rolled 9 using 1d20+2
First Wave of Kraken Spawn, rolled 9 using 1d20.
Hyacinth rolled 5
Braaka Nightseer rolled 4 using 1d20
Crew of the Wandering Minstrel, rolled 4 using 1d20

I will update this when everybody has rolled

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:03, Sat 06 Feb 2021.

Taklinn Coalburner
 player, 4 posts
 Dwarf Ranger
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 12:52
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
With an agility that would be unparallelled for a dwarf if he hadn't been drunk, Taklinn sprang on his feet and upon the nearest barrel in order to gain the best view. He unslung his longbow from his back, engaged an arrow and waited with excitation for the first wave of assaillants.

13:50, Today: Taklinn Coalburner rolled 9 using 1d20+2.  Initiative!
Teoshi
 player, 3 posts
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 13:14
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
As the captain started barking orders Teoshi leapt up, grabbing her shield, and headed toward the middle of the ship where and have the best view and chance to help the most people.

Teoshi rolled 17 using 1d20-1.  Initiative
Hyacinth
 player, 4 posts
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 14:56
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Having already set herself in motion to prepare for landfall Hyacinth is just returning to the deck with her heavy wooden version of chainmail and a similarly styled shield when the call goes out to prepare for assault.  As she heads for the tightest group of combatants on the deck she also pulls free an oddly shaped club that looks like it was made in the shape of a humanoid's arm with the hand forming both grip and guard as she holds it, whispering what could be a short prayer over it, no doubt for luck in the upcoming conflict.
Braaka Nightseer
 player, 4 posts
 Orc Cleric of the Moon
 Night holds no secrets
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 15:59
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Braaka's head whipped around as he heard the yelling. He bounced on the balls of his feet as he checked to make sure his holy symbol was hanging freely to be grabbed. He pulled out his shield and warhammer, a fierce grin sliding on to his face.

08:45, Today: Braaka Nightseer rolled 4 using 1d20.  Initiative.
Tumenril Moonshadow
 player, 3 posts
 Elf Archer
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 19:59
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
OOC: On my phone so won’t get a real post up til
14:56, Today: Tumenril Moonshadow rolled 15 using 1d20+3 ((12)).

Solwyn
 player, 4 posts
 Half-Elf Monk
Fri 5 Feb 2021
at 23:00
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
   "Aye, aye, Captain."

   Solwyn took up position, standing back to back with the tall woman near the main mast. He was unarmed and unarmored, his feet and arms bare, but his stance and the resolute look in his eyes indicated someone ready and able to fight for his life as well as others'.

13:50, Today: Solwyn rolled 18 using 1d20+3.  Initiative.
Mr DM
 GM, 11 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 12:30
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
With a practiced effort the crew of The Wandering Minstrel prepared themselves for combat.  They loaded and aimed the four small magical rune cannons, preparing the runerods of igniton and seeking clear targets amidst the waves.  Other crew members handed out the spring guns, and those with the long tubes swiftly wound the cranks and loaded in the harpoons.  The remainder armed themselves with their own personal weapons and prepared themselves to go where they were needed.

The adventurers set themselves as they were wont to and waited for the blood and fury to begin.

Peering over the railing into the waters of the ocean they could see the frothing of the waves as masses of creatures boiled up from the depths.  Off in the distance where the kraken was venting it's fury on the war galley several of the nearby vessels of the fleet had let loose volleys from their rune cannons which seemed to have little effect on the tentacles of the great beast.

At that point five sea spawn (AC:11 HP:??) started climbing up the side of the Wandering Minstrel to be met by the defenders.  About 100 feet out a large shelled creature, it looks like a weird mixture of armoured fish and snail perhaps a kraken hatchling (AC:16 HP:???), rises to the top of the ocean and seems to be preparing to do something.

ACTIONS?

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:35, Sat 06 Feb 2021.

Solwyn
 player, 5 posts
 Half-Elf Monk
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 13:58
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
   Solwyn kept his position, back to back with Teoshi, ready to charge the first creature to appear over the railing.

ooc : initiative 18

This message was last edited by the player at 22:28, Sat 06 Feb 2021.

Tumenril Moonshadow
 player, 4 posts
 Elf Archer
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 15:17
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Tumenril moves to an upper deck to provide a better vantage point to shoot from. He deems the Hatchling to be the better target as the others should be able to handle the spawn that have boarded. Lining up his shot he takes a deep breath and just as he lets the arrow loose, the ship rolls and throws the arrow wide.


10:13, Today: Tumenril Moonshadow rolled 12 using 1d20+7.  Attack: kraken hatchling.

Teoshi
 player, 6 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 15:47
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Teoshi stayed center of ship for now, better to let the spawn come to them and attack in greater numbers. She etched a symbol in the air with her free hand and swung it downward as if a hammer to an anvil. As she did she called out in dwarvish two words. "Kadrel'th Varekan."

A flame like radiance descended on the first spawn to crawl aboard the ship.

Action: cast Sacred Flame
  Spawn makes DC13 Dex save or take a whopping 1 radiant damage

Taklinn Coalburner
 player, 6 posts
 Dwarf Ranger
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 16:44
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
From his elevated position, Taklinn could see the frontliners closing onto the ship, but his attention was drawn to the snail-like creature. This one would certainly prove much more difficult than the mass of sea spawns; plus, his companions could handle those. Taking a deep breath, he drew his bow and let an arrow fly towards the kraken hatchling. The projectile hit true, though the creature seemed barely affected.


Hits AC 21 for 4 piercing damage
17:43, Today: Taklinn Coalburner rolled 4 using 1d8+2.  Bow damage (piercing).
17:43, Today: Taklinn Coalburner rolled 21 using 1d20+4.  Bow attack vs. AC 16.

Braaka Nightseer
 player, 5 posts
 Orc Cleric of the Moon
 Night holds no secrets
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 17:15
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Braaka watched as the ship's crew readied themselves. They seemed to be well-prepared and/or well-practiced at this. Time would tell if they were good in combat as well. They had spiffy weapons, to be sure.

He stepped up to the side where the sea spawn were coming up. He looked down at one not yet up to him and touched his holy symbol, "This bell tolls for thee." A low bass ringing noise echoed near the sea spawn.

OOC: Toll the Dead on one of the sea spawn. Wisdom Save DC 12 or take 7 damage if uninjured, 1 if injured.

10:14, Today: Braaka Nightseer rolled 7,1 using d8,d12.  Damage if save failed (first one if it's uninjured, 2nd if it's not).

Hyacinth
 player, 6 posts
Sat 6 Feb 2021
at 17:45
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Neither quick nor hasty Hyacinth finds herself a spot by the railing with the largest clump of sailors and waits for one of the sea spawn to poke its head over the edge where she can see it, and smashes it with the stick in her hand, cracking its skull open with an impossibly powerful hit from such small arms.
Mr DM
 GM, 13 posts
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 12:52
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
The combat develops swiftly with the adventurers and crew preparing to defeat the swarming sea creatures.  Scaling the side of a ship is difficult especially so when the people on the ship are trying to kill you, as the sea spawn find out.  Met by a wave of resistance the first sea spawn is hit by the sacred flame cast by Teoshi while another is targeted by Braaka but simply shrugs off the ringing attack.

Roaring out orders Captain Luren calls for the rune cannons to specially target the kraken hatchling before drawing his cutlass and dart gun.

An arrow flies out and strikes the kraken hatchling but doesn't seem to do as much damage as Taklinn hoped for.

With a burbling cry the sea spawn clamber up the side of the ship and lay about them with their claws and strange appendages.  Half a dozen of the crew go down under their blows.

In reply the crew fire their tube guns and one of the sea spawn is struck twice by two harpoons while the crew in melee combat deliver significant damage, with Hyacinth delivering the finishing blow to one of the sea spawn with her cudgel, meaning that only four of the creatures remain, all of them injured.

Then the rune cannons go off with a thump, two of the flaming balls missing but the other two striking home and exploding causing the kraken hatchling to start issuing a strange keening wail as it slowly sinks back under the waves.

ACTIONS?

OOC: The kraken hatchling has sunk out of sight while one of the sea spawn is dead and the other four are surrounded near the starboard railing and being flanked and attacked by the crew.  All of you can move into melee with the sea spawn if you wish and have Advantage or stay at a distance and attack.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:55, Sun 07 Feb 2021.

Tumenril Moonshadow
 player, 8 posts
 Elf Archer
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 14:24
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Seeing the hatchling disappear beneath the waves, Tumenril turns his attention to the spawn on deck. He lines up an arrow with one that's engaged in melee and lets it fly. His aim is true this time and it sinks into the creature with some effect.



09:21, Today: Tumenril Moonshadow rolled 5 using 1d8+3.  Arrow Damage.

09:20, Today: Tumenril Moonshadow rolled 23 using 1d20+7.  Attack: Spawn (advantage roll).

09:19, Today: Tumenril Moonshadow rolled 9 using 1d20+7.  Attack: Spawn.


Taklinn Coalburner
 player, 9 posts
 Dwarf Ranger
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 14:53
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Taklinn watched with satisfaction as the hatchling went under. Maybe it had been the cannons, but he was certain his masterful shot had played a significant part it the beast's demise. Meanwhile, the sea spawn were wrecking havoc on the crew, threatening to overpower the untrained sailors. Dropping his bow, the dwarf jumped down from his barrel and marched over to the nearest sea spawn, drawing both his hatchets in the process, then sliced at the creature with both weapons. The first blow severed a sizeable hunk of flesh, the second only a little bit.

"Have at ye, ye big shrimp!"

15:51, Today: Taklinn Coalburner rolled 9,1 using d6+3,d6.  Damage 1st and 2nd attack.
15:51, Today: Taklinn Coalburner rolled 21 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only.  Bonus attack vs AC 11 with Advantage.
15:50, Today: Taklinn Coalburner rolled 22 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only.  Attack AC 11 with advantage.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:54, Sun 07 Feb 2021.

Teoshi
 player, 8 posts
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 15:07
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Time to wade in and crack some skulls. Teoshi grabbed her mace and made her way to one of the sea spawn being swarmed by the crew. With a heavy swing she brought her mace down on the creature feeling a satisfying thunk-squelch as it collided.

Mine: To most injured spawn
Action: Mace hits AC 18 for 6 Bludgeoning

Teoshi rolled 18 using 2d20+4, dropping the lowest dice only.  Mace

Teoshi rolled 6 using 1d6+2.  Mace damage

Hyacinth
 player, 9 posts
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 15:27
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Sticking with the plan that brought her early success Hyacinth continues to batter the sea spawn, aiming for the most damaged looking one when the opportunity presents, but never taking any significant risks to get there, or leave any of them behind her still standing.
Varx
 player, 2 posts
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 16:11
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
With a hand on either side of the pail that sat on the ground before her, Varx's stomach once again spasmed, forcing up nothing but bile and water - for this was the sixth time that she'd wretched this morning as a result of the curse'ed sickness that the constant swaying of the boat had plagued her with.  She would be glad for this vessel to finally reach its destination so she could once again plant her feet on solid ground.

As the urge to vomit subsided her ears perked at the sounds coming from above deck.  It was the distinct sound of battle.  Aboard a ship that could only mean one of two things...there was a mutiny afoot or someone or something was attempting to take the ship.  Wiping her face clean from her recent 'efforts' she grabbed her bow and proceeded up the ladder she now stood beside to the deck above.

Having made it to the deck of the ship Varx assessed the situation.  She could see a number of creatures, presumably having climbed the side of the ship, attacking the crew and other passengers.  Raising her bow and nocking an arrow she took aim and fired upon the nearest attacker that was currently in melee combat with someone from the ship.






NOTE: Vrax is currently in the form of a female elf (see image in character description) and will be going by the name of Anaya while in this form (to prevent any confusion when I do introduce her to members of the group).


12:01, Today: Varx rolled 10 using 1d20+3.  initiative.


12:08, Today: Varx rolled 6 using 2d6+3.  arrow damage with 1d6 sneak attack damage.

12:06, Today: Varx rolled 12 using 1d20+5.  ranged attack.

and already the rpol roller is showing me the love...sigh lol

Braaka Nightseer
 player, 7 posts
 Orc Cleric of the Moon
 Night holds no secrets
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 17:32
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
Braaka frowned as the sea spawn shrugged of his divine attack. He then huffed out a breath and shrugged it off. He waited for them to clear the side of the deck and come over the railing, but then he hurried forward and smashed one with his warhammer. He didn't waste any time or breath on words, fully in the fight.

10:29, Today: Braaka Nightseer rolled 20 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 15,12.  Warhammer vs Sea Spawn.
10:30, Today: Braaka Nightseer rolled 8 using 1d8+3.  Warhammer damage.

Rex Dauntless
 player, 4 posts
 Human Fighter
 AC 17 | HP 12/12 | PP 12
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 18:19
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
With a snort, Rex Dauntless awakes from his nap to hear the sounds of shouts, bows, swords, and spells. Battle!

He leaps into action, spotting the interloping sea spawn, and enters the melee, drawing a longsword and a whip as he cries out, "Yarrrghhh!" He immediately moves to attack to attack the nearest spawn with his sword and a slightly further one with a crack of the whip.

Init 12, whip hits for 6 slashing damage, and longsword crits for 10 slashing damage.

12:03, Today: Rex Dauntless rolled 12 using 1d20+2.  Initiative.
12:18, Today: Rex Dauntless rolled 1 using 1d8.  Second half of critical. (swore I hit 2d8 the first time, but I guess I mis-clicked)
12:16, Today: Rex Dauntless rolled 9 using 1d8+3.  Longsword Damage (critical hit).
12:15, Today: Rex Dauntless rolled 25 using 1d20+5.  Longsword attack vs. Sea spawn.
12:15, Today: Rex Dauntless rolled 6 using 1d4+3.  Whip Damage.
12:14, Today: Rex Dauntless rolled 11 using 1d20+5.  Whip attack vs. Sea spawn.

Solwyn
 player, 8 posts
 Half-Elf Monk
Sun 7 Feb 2021
at 19:25
Re: Welcome to Von Arth! (IC THREAD)
   No soonner had the creatures appeared over the railing than the half-elf bounded toward them, crashing into the nearest enemy elbow first and instantly following up with a backhand punch.

ooc : init 18
Move Action : Move (up to 30ft) to the nearest enemy
Attack Action : Unarmed Attack critical miss
Bonus Action : Unarmed Attack Hit 23, 6 bludg. dmg