6th of Kythorn.   Posted by GM.Group: 0
Mouse Squeak
 player, 38 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 16:43
6th of Flamerule
"I want to fix this. I need to fix this. Who do I speak to or where do I go? We can't get into the city easily. Can we go somewhere else?"
Brer Vodraz
 player, 43 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 20:03
6th of Flamerule
“That is my point.  Can we go somewhere else that might help and isn’t inside the walls of this city.  Certainly.  Off the top of my head there is Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Candlekeep...  well the list goes on.  Here is the trouble, other than this city and Elturel we don’t know what we might find.  Even then we don’t really know what is behind the walls here so the only place we have true knowledge of is Elturel and I’m sure we can all agree that we won’t find answers to Mouses problem there.  He sighs, “So, there are two options.  We find a way into the city to get Mouse to an expert or we pick a destination and hope for the best.”
Roscoe Porridgepot
 player, 17 posts
Mon 5 Apr 2021
at 22:02
6th of Flamerule
"I can probably get us access into Candlekeep.  AT least the libraries there.  But like Brer said, we don't know the situation there.  They could also have a huge refugee contingent camped outside.  I think our best bet is finding a way into the city.  Maybe one of the gangs know of a way?  There has to be a smuggling network here.  Most large cities have one."
Mouse Squeak
 player, 39 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 12:37
6th of Flamerule
"We can probably find someone to get us in. But that will probably also mean finding people who are breaking the law."
Roscoe Porridgepot
 player, 18 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 14:31
6th of Flamerule
Well. maybe the rest of us could look into it and just not tell you about where the information came from?   If you don't know a law is being broken, then neither does this entity/voice, right?
Bricet
 player, 17 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 15:07
6th of Flamerule
I have thought about this. I have thought how Tyr would want me to think.  Punishing the unjust is truth, but can you judge the unjust?  There is much to much wickedness here, I has been vexing me as well.  I thought I lost my way.  I think I have now found the way back.  Yes, my words are many and deep, but I know we must leave this place.  We must help you my friend.  For justice and truth.
Mouse Squeak
 player, 40 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 15:24
6th of Flamerule
Mouse looks at Roscoe as he says,"This is all still new so I don't know. I don't think the crime is important, I think I would be forced to kill them whatever they did. I... don't know if it's seeing it or knowing they did it."
Brer Vodraz
 player, 44 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 17:23
6th of Flamerule
Brer shrugs at Bricet’s speech before continuing with Mouse, “Mouse...  Who defines the laws that you feel compelled to kill for?  Also,  if killing is murder and murder is illegal how do you feel about yourself becoming a murderer?”
Mouse Squeak
 player, 41 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 17:37
6th of Flamerule
"I don't know who defines them and I feel awful about it, that's why I want to get this fixed."
Brer Vodraz
 player, 45 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 17:43
6th of Flamerule
“Of course you do.  I mean, more your compulsion.  It’s ok with you being a murderer it seems?”
Mouse Squeak
 player, 42 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 17:48
6th of Flamerule
Mouse shrugs, "I guess?"
Brer Vodraz
 player, 46 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 18:42
6th of Flamerule
Brer shrugs, “Just trying to find the limits.”

Sighing as he rubs his temples, “So...  Here is what I see.  We need to find a permanent solution to Mouse Squeaks problem and soon.  Obviously there are long shots like heading back to the village and fighting our way into a hell to defeat whatever has done this to our companions and thusly free him from his compulsions. Bold and honorable no doubt, and it would definitely bring honor to Tempus even if he does favor causes that aren’t completely lost,  but... He shrugs, “That leaves finding a way into the city or finding a way to another city like candlekeep.  The problem with another city is we might travel for days or weeks only to find ourselves in the same situation, stuck outside in a refugee camp.  The way I see it I am all for the Devil I know.  So, that makes me wonder at how to get into the city and I can think of a few ways.”

He dips a finger into the leavings on his plate to draw a crude representation of the city and its surroundings.  Stabbing at it like a general would a map of a battlefield he continues, “No city is impervious and we may as well consider this one under siege.  They will soon run short of food unless they can secure a way to bring it in through the camp and even then you must ask where will any food come from.  The safest would be by ship.  We could do just that, see if we can find a ship traveling to the city and pay to be brought in as passengers. The merits of this are that we enter legally but the flaw is we have to find a ship which could be difficult.  Second, the city must have a sewer and, while the entrances are likely barred and even guarded, we could find one and make our way in.  Free, but possibly dangerous and it would definitely end with us being...  ripe.  We could just jump the line some night and pay off the guards or play off of our skills.  He shrugs, “Likely they will just send us off even for exorbitant sums.  In a similar vein we could try to pay one of the gangs to get us in though Mouse might have issue with their methods.  Last, well we join the Fists.  I know my way around mercenaries I could give the rest of you some tips to make you palatable.  I don’t know which option is best,  but that is as I see it.”
Mouse Squeak
 player, 43 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 19:27
6th of Flamerule
"I know some people out here are whispering that guards come out in the middle of the night and take some people inside the walls. It seems a little unlikely. Maybe the Red Eyes are sneaking people across dressed as guards?"
Brer Vodraz
 player, 47 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 21:17
6th of Flamerule
Brer smiles, “If I was in charge of the defense of the city I would create a way to get useful people inside the walls... I would also probably have pressure from my lords to find a way to let useless people in too. And, if I was at the gate I would probably find a way to line my pockets and sneak one or two in as well.  Long story short, I am certain people cross the walls quite regularly.”
Jamrion
 player, 47 posts
Tue 6 Apr 2021
at 21:36
6th of Flamerule
I think Brer has it right, now we just need to find the right guards.
Mouse Squeak
 player, 44 posts
Wed 7 Apr 2021
at 15:16
6th of Flamerule
"Alright, I will leave that to you all. I probably shouldn't talk to guards who take bribes."
Roscoe Porridgepot
 player, 19 posts
Thu 8 Apr 2021
at 23:59
6th of Flamerule
So perhaps we should reach out to the gangs?  If anyone will know which guards are bribable, it will be them.  I did my street performances next to a Red Eyes hangout, but didn't really make any usable connections.   Anyone have contacts with the Governors?
Mouse Squeak
 player, 45 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2021
at 01:29
6th of Flamerule
Mouse shakes his head. "I know where they operate."
Jamrion
 player, 48 posts
Fri 9 Apr 2021
at 03:24
6th of Flamerule
then show us the way, Roscoe would you speak with them, I will back you up.
GM
 GM, 49 posts
Sat 10 Apr 2021
at 15:19
6th of Flamerule
If I understand correctly, the goal is to gain access into Baldur's Gate. The plan is to contact the various gangs to try and get smuggled in or to bribe your way in.

If the above is correct, the following abilities will be useful:

  1. Mercenary Life - Good for locating possible mercenary contacts within the Outer City that work for the gangs or have worked for them.
  2. Rogue - Just being a rogue goes a long way towards knowing the right etiquette of the streets and underground activities. Clears many possible roadblocks that may trip up less streetwise folks.
  3. Spells - Spells that buff allies, misdirect targets, or acquire information are always helpful.
  4. Thieves' Cant - The right language for the right discussion.
  5. Expert Forgery - Can't get valid papers, perhaps make your own.


Being Proficient in these skills will also help:

  1. Deception - For all of your lying needs.
  2. Insight - For inspiration and guidance through intuition.
  3. Intimidation - Sometimes you just need to bully your way through things.
  4. Investigation - Taking the time to learn about your targets is always helpful. Nothing like a good stakeout to gain intelligence.
  5. Performance - Perhaps you want to pretend you're someone else for a bit.
  6. Persuasion - C'mon, help a brother out, you know you want to.
  7. Sleight of Hand - A little pickpocketing may prove useful if you know what you're looking for.
  8. Stealth - Being the sneaky will serve you well under the right circumstances.
  9. Tool (Gaming set) - Games of chance may open doors or provide opportunities that more direct methods might not.
  10. Tool (Thieves Tools) - Breaking and entering or disarming possible traps may prove to be needed.


Brer Vodraz
 player, 48 posts
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 20:52
6th of Flamerule
“I took my communion at a place controlled by the Governors...  They know me, but I feel no connection to them.  As I said before, I can help with the guards, maybe, but I’m not one to deal with brigands except for with a few feet of steel.”
Bricet
 player, 18 posts
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 22:42
6th of Flamerule
I see nothing but lawlessness in all of this.  Tyr would not approve.  Again I am conflicted.  You ask me to go against my very beliefs.  I will be damned for this.  Yet, Mouse is a true friend and to get to true order and law I will do my best to fulfill the will of the party.   

Bricet then goes off to commune with Tyr clearly and odds with himself.
Brer Vodraz
 player, 49 posts
Sun 11 Apr 2021
at 23:31
6th of Flamerule
The cleric shakes his head at the back of the retreating Paladin, “Even though he cries like a child, Bricet does make a point.  Why are we stopping to deal with brigands when we could easily go to the Fists without any middleman.  Perhaps we could even convince them that we are an asset to the city.”
Roscoe Porridgepot
 player, 20 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2021
at 14:19
6th of Flamerule
"Ok.   Let's not split the party over this.   Let us deal with the guards directly and offer our services to the Fists in exchange for access to the city to heal Mouse."

The group will go to the gates of the city and try to find guards who will relay a message to the Flaming Fists (if the guards are not Fists themselves).  We are looking for access to the city in exchange for our services working for the Fists in some capacity.
<if everyone is in agreement for this, sounds like it from the Discord thread>
GM
 GM, 50 posts
Mon 12 Apr 2021
at 14:30
6th of Flamerule
On that note, Roscoe, Brer and Jamrion head to the gates while Mouse stays back at the refugee to avoid any temptation and Bricet sits in his tent, rocking back and forth talking to Tyr.

Moving the gate crew to a different thread