Keep on the Borderlands (Game Thread)   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Leozaren
 player, 24 posts
 Elf
Thu 30 Sep 2021
at 21:46
Keep on the Borderlands
While the others went about their business Leozaren looked around, scouting the nearby vicinity for any signs of trouble. Soon enough, the sight of a flock of birds taking hurriedly to the air gave him cause for concern.

"I suggest everyone be prepared for action. Those birds did not take flight without reason - something must have disturbed them. We could either investigate, or take care to avoid the area while we make progress toward the cave Gyp found."
Falco Mugwort
 player, 93 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Mon 4 Oct 2021
at 22:47
Keep on the Borderlands
After Leozaren reports what he notices, Falco says, "Perhaps we should have a closer look at what disturbed the birds then. I would not want to be surprised by something going to the Jester's Goblin cave. Lead the way, Friend Elf."

Falco readies his shield and spear while he says to Reea, "Be on guard, Young Reea."
Gyp Toogood
 player, 68 posts
Tue 5 Oct 2021
at 06:42
Keep on the Borderlands
His eyes shaded by a hand Gyp looked out across the hillside and trees beyond "if we head to the trees we will pass the cave" he explained to Falco "two birds with one stone as they say" he added then followed Falco in that direction.
Leozaren
 player, 28 posts
 Elf
Tue 5 Oct 2021
at 16:26
Keep on the Borderlands
"Well it appears we are going to check what disturbed the birds, then the cave. Agreed?"

Leozaren will wait for Falco to take the lead, or join him in the vanguard if he wishes.
Jori
 Player, 17 posts
 cleric
Tue 5 Oct 2021
at 17:32
Keep on the Borderlands
Once the group decided what to do, Jori approached Falco and took him aside. She very quietly whispered in his ear.
Falco Mugwort
 player, 96 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Tue 5 Oct 2021
at 21:29
Keep on the Borderlands
"So the birds are further away than the Goblin's cave? Ah, Pardon. I thought ye meant birds near us Friend Elf. Let us head that direction then, but stay inside the tree line. If the Goblins the Jester saw are closer, it might be better to spy on them first and then decide whether to continue on to the birds, or venture into the Goblin's cave. The Jester only saw two, but where there's two Goblins, there's usually more near by." From the expression on his face when he speaks of Goblins, it's clear he dislikes them.

Falco starts to follow the treeline in the general direction towards the Goblin cave and the birds beyond while staying some 30 feet or so deep into the forest vegetation.

After Jori approaches him and calls him aside, Falco listens to her whispers. He says a few quiet words in return before resuming his position and continuing on the way.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:47, Tue 05 Oct.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 106 posts
Wed 6 Oct 2021
at 00:45
Keep on the Borderlands
Moving carefully just inside the tree-line, the party moves along the curve of the clearing going a bit downhill.  In two hours of careful walking, including the proper rest breaks, and being alert to danger in and out of the forest, the party arrives at a point in the trees two hundred yards or so South of the cave entrance.

From this vantage it is clear that the goblins are not immediately visible in the cave entrance, and this cave is barely that; even from here it is clear that it does not go more than a few a feet into the hillside.
Gyp Toogood
 player, 70 posts
Wed 6 Oct 2021
at 06:28
Keep on the Borderlands
"Mayhaps the goblins moved off and that is what spooked the birds?" the fool hazarded a guess as they went passed the cave "we could whilst the cave is empty satisfy our curiosity and take a closer look" he suggested to their leader Falco.
Falco Mugwort
 player, 97 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Thu 7 Oct 2021
at 00:04
Keep on the Borderlands
"So this is where ye saw the two Goblins, eh? Hmmm," replies Falco. He looks over at the others and asks, "What say ye all? Shall we have a look then, or continue on to where the birds were?"
Gyp Toogood
 player, 71 posts
Thu 7 Oct 2021
at 06:50
Keep on the Borderlands
Gyp gave a nod to Falco to confirm this is where he had been "I am fast of foot, I shall go ahead" he volunteered. At least this time he would not be out of sight of his companions. It would save them time on their journey if he began any investigation as soon as possible. Gyp then leapt off with a cartwheel and raced to the cave to take a look inside.
Faldal
 player, 8 posts
 Acolyte
Thu 7 Oct 2021
at 16:37
Keep on the Borderlands
"If he is so scared of danger, why does he always have to scout ahead alone?" whispers Faldal to himself.
Leozaren
 player, 29 posts
 Elf
Thu 7 Oct 2021
at 23:11
Keep on the Borderlands
"Well he is eager, we can say that of him."

It didn't sound particularly like a compliment, but it wasn't an insult either.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 108 posts
Sat 9 Oct 2021
at 16:21
Keep on the Borderlands
Gyp runs ahead of the others arriving at the cave quickly.  In the light of day he can see that this cave only goes about 15 feet in, like a giant took a scoop out of the hill and the remaining overhang is now grown over with grass.  It does make a very nice, sheltered place for a camp, though it is also obvious and visible for some distance.

as the others approach a search of the area notes the poorly concealed remnants of a camp not very old, perhaps the very goblins Gyp saw last night.
Gyp Toogood
 player, 72 posts
Sun 10 Oct 2021
at 08:44
Keep on the Borderlands
Glad to find the cave empty of goblins Gyp danced a little jig and then examined the remains of the campsite for anything interesting left behind and also around the back of the cave for any signs of travel or use.
Leozaren
 player, 30 posts
 Elf
Sun 10 Oct 2021
at 10:18
Keep on the Borderlands
"If this is a lookout post for goblins, or whatever else, I would rather not tarry. We should investigate the birds or find another means of entering the caves."

Leozaren looked to Falco for his call.
Falco Mugwort
 player, 98 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Sun 10 Oct 2021
at 21:46
Keep on the Borderlands
"So nothing found in the cave, eh," Falco comments aloud. He turns to face Leozaren and the others in their group and says, "Yes, let us continue onward then. We only have so much daylight and the Goblins and worse come out at night to do their foul deeds."

He readies himself to resume the journey. Once Gyp has rejoined them and everyone else is ready to get underway as well, he then again takes to the woods some thirty feet in and proceeds towards the general direction of where the birds where seen taking flight while using the forest for cover along the way.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 109 posts
Sun 10 Oct 2021
at 22:29
Keep on the Borderlands
Following in the direction that you saw the birds take flight, the party re-enters the forest and skirts the clearing until turning away from it and moving northeast.  The forest gets more dense, tangled, and gloomier than before.  The thick, twisted tree trunks, unnaturally misshapen limbs, writhing roots, clutching and grasping thorns and briars all seem to warn, as the party traverses a heavily wooded and sloping terrain, one that gets steeper the farther North you go, naturally pulling the party more to the east.  After almost two hours of carefully moving through this forested area the wood suddenly ends - you have stepped out of the thicket into a ravine-like area. The walls rise rather steeply, and the party came down on the left side slope.

To either side to a height of about 100 or so - dark, streaked rock mingled with earth. Clumps of trees grow here and there, both on the floor of the ravine and up the sloping walls of the canyon. The opening you stand in is about 200 wide. The ravine runs at least 400 west to where the western end rises in a steep slope. Here and there, at varying heights on all sides of the ravine, you can see the black mouths of cave-like openings in the rock walls. The sunlight is dim, the air dank, there is an oppressive feeling here - as if something evil is watching and waiting to pounce upon you. There are bare, dead trees here and there, and upon one a vulture perches and gazes hungrily at you. A flock of ravens rise croaking from the ground, the beat of their wings and their cries magnified by the terrain to sound loud and horrible, a repetition of what you saw this morning only much closer. Amongst the litter of rubble, boulders, and dead wood scattered about on the ravine floor, you can see bits of gleaming ivory and white - closer inspection reveals that these are bones and skulls of men, animals, and other things,. . .

You know that you have certainly discovered the Caves Of Chaos.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:32, Mon 01 Nov.

Gyp Toogood
 player, 73 posts
Mon 11 Oct 2021
at 17:14
Keep on the Borderlands
The cave was in the end a disappointment. Gyp scowled and kicked at the dirt and then followed Falco away from the cave.

Their arrival at the caves of chaos cheered Gyp up and his waved his hands excitedly. He then looked around the ravine and at the many caves. In the end his energy was spent, his shoulders sagged and he looked to Falco "which cave?"
Leozaren
 player, 31 posts
 Elf
Mon 11 Oct 2021
at 22:31
Keep on the Borderlands
Far from excited, Leozaren was somewhat downcast - there were caves here, but did there have to be so many? That meant trouble abounded, and death was everywhere: the sheer number of bones and remains of things living told of that. He turned his face away.
Faldal
 player, 9 posts
 Acolyte
Tue 12 Oct 2021
at 09:40
Keep on the Borderlands
Faldal stares at the caves, intimidated by the sight for a while. Then he whispers, and find his resolve again. Wasn't it the reason why he came here, after all, to face the adversity to be found in this and other foul places?

"We might as well start with the closest one." he proposes, answering the jester.
Gyp Toogood
 player, 74 posts
Thu 14 Oct 2021
at 17:31
Keep on the Borderlands
"Good choice" Gyp stood behind and Faldal gave him a clap on the back "in we go then" he encouraged as he rooted around in his backpack to get a torch and his flint to light it.
Falco Mugwort
 player, 99 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Thu 14 Oct 2021
at 23:55
Keep on the Borderlands
"Keep your guard up. Be ready to withdraw if the advantage is not with us," offers Falco as he readies his shield and spear.

He crouches down and advances carefully with the others. As he does, he keeps his senses alert for danger and looks about for movement around them or other signs of possible danger.
Simon
 Player, 7 posts
 Apprentice Wizard
 Skinny Bookworm
Fri 15 Oct 2021
at 00:00
Keep on the Borderlands
Quiet Simon keeps alert, his dagger drawn and in his hand, and quietly moves in the midst of the others. Being a bookworm, he's not used to all this travelling through the wilderness.

Truthfully, he would be more at comfort in a room with a roof over his head and a book in his hands. But then how would he gain practical knowledge of the world outside if he retreats back to his books? Thus, he keeps course and ventures onward towards the nearest cave entrance.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:00, Fri 15 Oct.

Faldal
 player, 10 posts
 Acolyte
Fri 15 Oct 2021
at 07:45
Keep on the Borderlands
Faldal hesitates. He will certainly not be the first to enter the cave!
Dungeon Master
 GM, 113 posts
Sat 16 Oct 2021
at 22:39
Keep on the Borderlands
******
Move to the Caves of Chaos Part 1 thread, please.
******