Keep on the Borderlands (Game Thread)   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Falco Mugwort
 player, 17 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Mon 7 Jun 2021
at 21:50
Keep on the Borderlands
Once things wind down at their table, Falco says (as he stand up), "I reckon it is about time for getting on with sleep so we can be ready early on the morrow to venture forth and seek out our fame and good fortune." He goes about making his way over to the inn side and sorts out accommodations for the night. Not fat on coin, nor particularly choosy, he settles for the common room and blanket for the night for 2sp.

***

When the bell rings in the morning, Falco rises up, relieves himself, and washes the sleep from his face. He gathers his things and heads back over to the tavern side to wait for the others in their motely little adventuring party to rouse. While he waits, he orders a wedge of cheese and a slice of bread along with a small beer to get him going for 2sp and 1cp.
Thorona
 player, 15 posts
 Acolyte
Tue 8 Jun 2021
at 18:05
Keep on the Borderlands
Thorona rises with the dawn, finding the chapel of St. Erkenbrand to be similar enough an environment to remind her of her home in the abbey. With little more than a nod to Narwin as he tends to his duties, Thorona goes about her morning ablutions and prayers, following the same habits she's developed over decades, and eventually, donning her mail and taking up her mace, she trudges to the Green Man Inn to join her fellows.

"Good morrow, all," she says, not particularly cheerful and maybe a bit loudly for such an early hour. "I trust we have all made proper preparations for our foray into the untamed wilderlands this morning?"

For the first time, she takes note of the fresh-faced young woman present among the others. "And we have added to our number, it appears. Praise be to the Law. What is your name, child? And what skills do you bring to this blessed company?"

Thorona's stomach growls audibly, but she pretends not to notice.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:36, Tue 08 June 2021.

Reea
 player, 2 posts
Tue 8 Jun 2021
at 18:41
Keep on the Borderlands
REPOST

Reea had followed the priest and the other clerics all the way to a chapel. She had never seen anything like it, so she wanted to go inside and see what it looked like. When the four entered, the doors closed, leaving her outside.

Reea stared, blinking in surprise. So much for that. Sighing, she needed to find a place for the night.

Reea retraced her steps. Staring at the sign over an inn, she heard someone call it, 'The Green Man Inn'. Curious, she went inside and looked around. She didn't see anyone that was green. Maybe he was in the back making food. She'd never seen anyone green, so Reea hoped she wouldn't miss him.

When things quieted for the night, Reea decided to stay there, still hoping to see the green man. She slept in the common room. It wasn't comfortable, but it was better than being alone outside.

When morning came, Reea had to wait in line to take care of her morning duties. She was very hungry, so she went to the main area to order something. While there, she saw the elderly woman she followed the night before. Reea approached her and was going to ask why she wasn't allowed in the chapel, but the woman was greeting a group of people, probably her traveling companions.

"And we have added to our number, it appears. Praise be to the Law. What is your name, child? And what skills do you bring to this blessed company?"

The elderly woman had addressed Reea. At first, Reea was surprised. Since arriving at the Keep, other than the guards outside, no one else really paid attention to her.

"I'm Reea, ma'am." She bowed slightly out of respect. "I can fight bad guys and monsters." She didn't really know what else to say.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:48, Tue 08 June 2021.

Thorona
 player, 16 posts
 Acolyte
Tue 8 Jun 2021
at 22:42
Keep on the Borderlands
The old woman nods in what appears to be reluctant approval. "Hmf. We shall see, I suppose. But I am glad for another strong arm, and another set of sharp young eyes will serve us well in the wild and the dark. These laggards who journey with us are Falco and Finn, and this good young acolyte is Dynlor, whose acquaintance I made yestereve."

She gestures to each in turn, indicating them to the girl, and then she points to Benny. "And this is Benny, also an acolyte. Though he be slow of mind you shall find him strong in his faithfulness."
Reea
 player, 3 posts
Tue 8 Jun 2021
at 22:54
Keep on the Borderlands
"Hmf. We shall see, I suppose. But I am glad for another strong arm, and another set of sharp young eyes will serve us well in the wild and the dark.

Reea touched her eyes with her left hand. They were still round.

Introductions were made and Reea smiled and waved at each person. She was happy they were accepting her.
Dynlor
 player, 9 posts
 Acolyte
Wed 9 Jun 2021
at 08:52
Keep on the Borderlands
"Welcome Reea. It seems we have quite the company now! I can't wait to get going: it's not that I mind the chapel, but I probably have seen enough of it during the last two days..." after saying his last words, his eyes cross those of Thorona and he immediately looks away, feeling ashamed.
Falco Mugwort
 player, 18 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Wed 9 Jun 2021
at 17:44
Keep on the Borderlands
"Morning to ye as well, Sister Thorona. I reckon we are," replies Falco. "We hear there be some Chaos held up in caves nearby the Keep that need looking into. Some of the men-at-arms may know the way, else we will have to search about the area for it."

He looks at the apparent addition to their party as he adds, "Heard tales of death and dying for those who go looking. Glad to have another sword arm." He looks Reea up and down and then says, "Nice equipment, ye have there, lass."
Ash
 player, 14 posts
 Apprentice Thief
 Weak willed & Impulsive!
Thu 10 Jun 2021
at 00:01
Keep on the Borderlands
Ash, who had no coins whatsoever departed the inn with a sigh for a night in the gutter. At least it would add extra incentive for the riches he hoped to earn!

***

In the morning the thin apprentice re-entered the tavern and drifted to the table, his green eyes widening at the sight of Reea. "Greetings I am Ash the apprentice," turning to the others he said "I am ready to tackle these so called caves if you are?"
Dungeon Master
 GM, 39 posts
Mon 14 Jun 2021
at 22:33
Keep on the Borderlands
The party, having gathered at the gatehouse, proceed out of the relative safety of the Keep and into the wilds of the Borderlands.  Benny remained in the chapel, having decided to stay with Chaplain Abercrombie for a while learning scripture and providing service to the community.

It is easy enough to retrace your steps from the night before, taking a little over an hour to reach the fork in the road that turns North to the Keep.  It is now time to make a decision:  West the way you came is the Realm, but not the adventure you came to seek.  East along the road will be easier to travel.  South there is the river, which spills into marshes just South and east of the fork; you saw them from the Keep, a few hours trek from here.  North the land rises into evergreen-covered hills, again visible from the Keep.



Refer to the Main Game Map.  On the road or in plains you can make good time.  In the woods or marshes, not so well, as I stated elsewhere.
Reea
 player, 5 posts
Mon 14 Jun 2021
at 23:05
Keep on the Borderlands
While the group stopped at the fork in the road, Reea closed her eyes and tried to remember what was discussed the previous night.

They wanted to explore some caves. She wasn't sure if she liked that, because caves were usually dark and spooky and filled with spiders. Her body shivered.

Still, if Reea was going to seek her fortune, she had to take chances sometimes.

"I think we should stay on the road. There could be lots of monsters living in the woods."

Reea's body shivered again.
Falco Mugwort
 player, 22 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Mon 14 Jun 2021
at 23:32
Keep on the Borderlands
When Falco had picked us his spear at the gate, he had asked the men-at-arms there if they knew the whereabout of the so-called 'Caves of Chaos' he had heard rumors of and what they might have heard about it, if anything.

***

Presently, Falco walks along in the middle of the others of their merry group as they work their way down the road from the Keep. He carries his spear over his right shoulder and has his shield slung over his left shoulder at-the-ready--should they be encountered by Goblins or other lurkers lying in ambush near the road.

He agrees with Reea, adding in support, "I agree with the lass. Keeping along the road will make our journey easier."

After several minutes more of walking along with the others, he asks Reea, "How abouts did you come across such fine equipment? Did your father serve a lord as a knight? That armor and sword you wear must have cost quite the coin, eh?"

This message was last edited by the player at 23:37, Mon 14 June 2021.

Reea
 player, 6 posts
Mon 14 Jun 2021
at 23:45
Re: Keep on the Borderlands
"How abouts did you come across such fine equipment? Did your father serve a lord as a knight? That armor and sword you wear must have cost quite the coin, eh?"

Reea liked that someone wanted to know more about her.

"There was a great fighter that lived in my village. He went on many adventures, but when he got tired of that, he came back home. I loved listening to his stories, so when I was old enough, he taught me to fight and paid for everything I have."

Reea left out the part where other children in the village picked on her.
Dynlor
 player, 10 posts
 Acolyte
Tue 15 Jun 2021
at 10:47
Re: Keep on the Borderlands
Dynlor takes a big breath, happy to be outside the walls and eager to adventure! Hearing the conversation between Reea and Falco, he approaches and asks the young girl: "And what made you come all this way to this place?"
Reea
 player, 7 posts
Tue 15 Jun 2021
at 18:43
Keep on the Borderlands
Dynlor said, "And what made you come all this way to this place?"

Another person was talking to her! Reea liked having friends. She smiled before answering.

"It was time for me to leave my village and make my own way," said Reea. "I just followed the road and groups of other travelers and I ended up here." She smiled again. It was fun having secrets other people wanted to know.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 40 posts
Tue 15 Jun 2021
at 22:06
Keep on the Borderlands
It is four hours of walking along the road to get to the point where the river bends closest to it, the land becoming marshy and somewhat smelly as well.  In the same vicinity the forest comes down right up to the road leaving a relatively narrow path between river/marsh and forest through which the road proceeds East.  It is late morning, almost time for the mid-day meal when you reach this point.

700 yards southeast, across the river and in the marshes there is a small rise, not quite a hill, about 300 yards across sticking out of the marsh.  Beyond it the land dries up somewhat and there is a stand of evergreens before the southern deciduous forests begin.

Due East a small hill rises, it looks like the road turns North a that point, skirting the by the hill.  Between the hill and the forests to the North that is all you can see from here.



You may continue conversations during the time passing, just skipping a bit.
Thorona
 player, 18 posts
 Acolyte
Wed 16 Jun 2021
at 03:24
Keep on the Borderlands
Chewing thoughtfully on some hard bread as she squints into the distance, Thorona considers the group's options. "The way seems simple enough, if we keep to the road. Could it be that these Caves would be visible from the road? Surely if the vile forces of Chaos hold such a stronghold in these wilderlands, they will maintain a watch?"

She glances at the hill rising from the swampy land and peers at it, trying to spot any lookouts or spies of the enemy who might be making designs on them.

She turns to Falco. "Did you learn anything of the way ahead from the folk at the Keep?"
Falco Mugwort
 player, 24 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Wed 16 Jun 2021
at 04:22
Keep on the Borderlands
Falco nodded at Reea when she replied. He guessed the retired adventurer she spoke of must have been a relative of the lass and saw promise in her since he gave her training and such valuable armor.

Falco's lot in life had been a different story--risky or hard work and not much more than a handful of silver to his name to show for it. He hoped his fortune would soon change. Of course, it might not change for the better.

He looks at Thorona when she speaks up. She has been surprisingly quiet on the journey thus far and her words draws him back to the moment at hand.

He replies to her, saying, "The men-at-arms I spoke with believe the caves we seek lie due Northeast of the Keep, but little more. Only that bandits ply their trade in the region and other vile creatures have been spotted roaming about. That being, we might have to step into the woods and search about. I have doubts these caves will be very near the road, but we may yet see tracks heading off into the woods or other signs of passage amongst the bushes. Best we keep our eyes and ears open--especially now that the clearing around the road has narrowed."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:30, Wed 16 June 2021.

Dynlor
 player, 11 posts
 Acolyte
Wed 16 Jun 2021
at 10:16
Keep on the Borderlands
Dynlor smiles at Reea. Somehow he understood her, as he felt the same kind of motivation to go away from home and make a name for himself in the world.

Hearing what Falco said, he looks at the surroundings while walking, attentive to the details he mentioned.
Ash
 player, 15 posts
 Apprentice Thief
 Weak willed & Impulsive!
Fri 18 Jun 2021
at 21:24
Keep on the Borderlands
Ash, who has been listening quietly speaks up. "I can do some scouting ahead. I admit I'm more used to alleys and rooftops than trees and rocks but I like to think I have good eyes and ears."
Reea
 player, 8 posts
Sat 19 Jun 2021
at 00:10
Keep on the Borderlands
"Ash, if you want, I'll go with you."

Reea was nervous, a little afraid, but even more, she was excited. This was her first adventure, so she wanted to see what lay ahead, even if it was a dark, spooky cave filled with spiders.
Ash
 player, 17 posts
 Apprentice Thief
 Weak willed & Impulsive!
Sat 19 Jun 2021
at 13:31
Keep on the Borderlands
Ash shoots a grateful look at Reea. "Thanks, I'd be glad of the company, especially from someone can handle a sword!"
Falco Mugwort
 player, 25 posts
 Spear Fighter
 Uncouth/Dull-Witted
Sat 19 Jun 2021
at 17:57
Keep on the Borderlands
Falco thinks they may be getting close to trouble, so says, "That's good thinking--two folks to look ahead. Just keep your wits about you."

He slings his shield down over his left arm and readies his spear in the other in case trouble shows itself. It didn't hurt to be ready.
Dynlor
 player, 12 posts
 Acolyte
Sun 20 Jun 2021
at 10:19
Keep on the Borderlands
Dynlor raises his eyebrow when seeing some of his companions wanting to look at the face of danger so boldly. Imitating Falco, he puts his mace in his hand, ready for anything.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 45 posts
Sun 20 Jun 2021
at 16:45
Keep on the Borderlands
The parry moves ahead on the road, Ash and Reea about 100 yards ahead of the others.  After about an hour, as the sun is nearly reaching the noon mark, Reea and Ash see glistening in the sun webbing stretched thinly across the road.  This is at the narrowest point between road and river and the webs stretch across between two trees, one on the river bank and another on the edge of the forest.  In the forest there are more webs strung among several trees, all connected and there are two six-foot long black spiders, a red hourglass shape on their abdomens, sitting on either side of the road.  They have not moved to attack, yet.



Neither side is surprised.  You have the initiative.  Actions?  They are AC6 and about 20 feet away.
Reea
 player, 12 posts
Sun 20 Jun 2021
at 17:01
Keep on the Borderlands
When Reea saw the webs across the road glistening in the sun, she froze in her tracks, her stomach beginning to do flipflops. Seeing the ugly, black creatures, she started to move backwards, her widened eyes staring at the beasts.

"Spiders. Why did it have to be spiders?"

This message was last edited by the player at 17:51, Sun 20 June 2021.