The Coach and Horses.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Aver Eldebrandt
 Human, 41 posts
 Apprentice Wizard
 10/10 Wounds, 4 FP
Thu 8 Jul 2021
at 18:32
Re: The Coach and Horses
Aver shrugs at Mefodiv's question about the smith, agreeing nonverbally.  "I may have neglected to tell the other passengers about the current state of the coach, so we will likely have to talk them out.  Sigmar give us strength..."

Approaching the coach with Mefodiv, she waits for the likely-still-drunk coachmen to recombobulate enough to discuss repairs.  After some time passes, she makes her move.  Aver begins pointing out the issues with the coach that she had noticed the night before, and insists that some minor patching be performed prior to departure.  "We'll never make it to Altdorf like this!"
Halvi Junttila
 Human, 14 posts
 Hunter
 10/10 Wounds, 2 FP
Thu 8 Jul 2021
at 19:18
Re: The Coach and Horses
"I never knew coachmen to be so careless about their work." Halvi answered to Phillipe as she watches the men finally in motion. "I hope you are right, I am not keen on the idea of setting out with little light ahead, drunk or not is just as well so as long as we get moving."

When others came and aver began to make her case about the deficiencies of the coach, Junttila corrected her previous optimism. "Or perhaps not. Did you have places to be?"
Narrator
 GM, 60 posts
Fri 9 Jul 2021
at 00:46
Re: The Coach and Horses
"Mnnnh'll...bine furrnnnll oww." Comments Hultz. "Ready..." Adds Gunnar, clutching his head.

"Oh no. I'll have no more delays! I've bought a seat here for tonight! Not in a couple of days! We are not squatting in this dismal hut any longer!" Cries Lady Isolde from within the coach. "If this coach will not serve them, they will wait for the next one. We are leaving." Speaking with an uncharacteristic venom from such a noble lady, the responses from the coachmen are unintelligible grunts as the horses are locked into place. There's asmall sound of whispering coming from the mousey woman beside her, trying desperately to calm her down as the brutish bodyguard sits as silent as ever beside Lady Isolde.

The coachmen clamber up to their spots atop the coach with a grunting effort and slump into their spots.

"All...aboard." Rasps Gunnar.

Pierre pinches the bridge of his nose. "Altdahrf preferahbly. Zough, lookeeng aht ze stahte of sings, eet's going to be a lahng way cahmeeng." He gestures to Halvi. "Ahftair you."
Mefodiv Orlov
 Human, 16 posts
 Horse Coper
 14/14 Wounds - 2 Fate
Fri 9 Jul 2021
at 02:24
Re: The Coach and Horses
Mefodiv sighs speaking to Aver.

"I talk to them then. Watch."

He jogs up to the noblewomen, calling out to them as he raises his hands disarmingly.

"Good women, please! Would it not be unbecoming to show up to Altdorf in such shabby coach? Please, wait bit longer, let us take carriage to be fixed up. It look nicer, and be safer."


Today: Mefodiv Orlov rolled 67 -- 3 degrees of failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 37. charm to persuade nobles.
Narrator
 GM, 62 posts
Fri 9 Jul 2021
at 02:38
Re: The Coach and Horses
"No! No. We paid to leave today. Today! Not tomorrow, not next Festag, today! You want an elaborate one, wait for the next."

The noblewoman was unconviced and the coach still looked to be setting off soon. With three inside, there were three spaces inside the coach. Anyone else would have to ride on the roof...

OOC: Anyone else may also roll an average Perception (intelligence) roll if you want to.
Aver Eldebrandt
 Human, 42 posts
 Apprentice Wizard
 10/10 Wounds, 4 FP
Fri 9 Jul 2021
at 02:45
Re: The Coach and Horses
Under her breath, Aver mutters to Halvi.  "Well, these coachmen will be the ruin of us long before the frame gives out... assuming this woman doesn't drive us insane first."

She turns to the rest of the group.  "With the four of us, perhaps there is room at the bench for one?  Mefodiv here knows his way around a horse, by all accounts."



19:40, Today: Aver Eldebrandt rolled 42 -- a simple failure using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 36.  Perception - Notice Something?
Narrator
 GM, 64 posts
Fri 9 Jul 2021
at 03:05
Re: The Coach and Horses
"What?! No! I've paid for this coach. Any who would dare encroach upon what is mine will feel the full wrath of my family. And believe me, my connections in Altdorf are more than enough to make the band of your lives miserable. Even by your dismal standards." She hisses as her fearful assistant goes silent. The leer of her bulky body guard gives you the feeling she isn't bluffing. Gunnar and Hultz don't seem to mind any of the commotion as some snoring could be heard coming from the reins.

Those that wish to sit inside the coach will have to win over Lady Isolade. Perhaps a suitable song or recital: (Easy +30) Entertain or Play Test, Or an (Average +20) Charm
could be used. Note: when dealing with Lady Isolde, all Charm Tests from Silver or Brass tier Characters suffer a penalty of -10 (see WFRP, page 50). If they fail to win over Lady Isolde, any Characters who cannot fit into the coach will have to travel on the roof.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:05, Fri 09 July.

Aver Eldebrandt
 Human, 44 posts
 Apprentice Wizard
 10/10 Wounds, 4 FP
Fri 9 Jul 2021
at 04:11
Re: The Coach and Horses
Aver clears her throat in an attempt to gather attention.  Ahem!  "I have paid fair coin for this ride for myself and my companions.  If you have gripe with this, it is the coachmen with whom you must discuss this issue, not us!  You as well as anyone knows that seats unpaid for are seats available.  And as finance does not seem to be an issue with you, there is no justification for this outrage... at least towards us!  Now if you'll excuse me, I will be taking my bartered seat and enjoying a comfortable ride for as long as this rickety ride will take us!"

The woman speaks clearly and with a precise selection of words that is common to the nobility, but shows a lack of experience with the tact that glues the words together.  She gives a long stare to the armored woman as she pushes past to find a seat.



20:59, Today: Aver Eldebrandt rolled 35 -- a simple success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 38.  Charm - Ain't gonna ride on roof.
Untrained (18) + Average (20) + Etiquette (10) - Status (10) = 38% Target Number

Dietrich Baudelaire
 Human, 19 posts
 Cadet of Aquila Academy
 Wounds: 10/10, FP: 4
Sat 10 Jul 2021
at 00:17
Re: The Coach and Horses
Dietrich almost snorted at the antics of Lady Isolde. This was the kind of behavior that he was used too. Entitlement and disregard for others. Well, he had spent many years learning how to navigate these waters. Straightening up, he swept his feathered hat off his head and bowed low to the noblewoman.

"My dear lady, I am Dietrich Baudelaire, son of Brion Baudelaire, Baron of Seyoux. And these are my companions! Surely you would not deprive tired, paying customers from enjoying the luxury of this fine coach? I assure you, that despite our colorful appearance, we are most stimulating company. My conversatons were legendary in the taverns and academies of Nuln," Dietrich said in his most charming voice, and flashing his most boyish grin.

OOC Mechanics
20:09, Today: Dietrich Baudelaire rolled 4 -- 4 degrees of success using the Warhammer Test system with a target number of 47.  Charm.

Narrator
 GM, 65 posts
Sat 10 Jul 2021
at 04:31
Re: The Coach and Horses
The lady seems conflicted with these responses, but buckles with a sigh. "Fine. We can abide you two. No one else! It's miserable enough without elbows and knees of the plebeians jetting into your side. Let's be off already!"

Those who climb into the Coach find it a little cramped with the bodyguard seeming to be more attentive to your presence than usual. The lady is already regretting your presence, and he quiet assistant was nervously playing with her hands.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:33, Sat 10 July.

Mefodiv Orlov
 Human, 18 posts
 Horse Coper
 14/14 Wounds - 2 Fate
Sat 10 Jul 2021
at 07:36
Re: The Coach and Horses
Mefodiv climbs onto the roof with a quiet shrug, sitting cross legged and whistling a tune to himself.
Halvi Junttila
 Human, 15 posts
 Hunter
 10/10 Wounds, 2 FP
Sat 10 Jul 2021
at 13:34
Re: The Coach and Horses
Nodding to Aver, Halvi watched her and Dietritch talk their way into the coach. As ready to leave as anybody there, She climbed atop the coach, seemingly unwilling to argue entry or having no interest in the experience. "Roomy enough for two." She said to Mefodiv as she laid down.
Dietrich Baudelaire
 Human, 20 posts
 Cadet of Aquila Academy
 Wounds: 10/10, FP: 4
Sat 10 Jul 2021
at 14:22
Re: The Coach and Horses
"Ma dame, you are a paragon of charity and compromise..." Dietrich replied evenly, betraying none of his sarcasm.

Placing his cavalier hat back upon his head, the young man entered the cab and set himself into his seat as comfortably as possible. As all wise men do when sitting down, if only for comfort, he removed his sheathed weapon from his belt, and simply held it against his person.

"Ah, travel within the Empire...is there anything more fine?" he drawled, still in that voice that didn't reveal if he was being sarcastic or not.
Aver Eldebrandt
 Human, 46 posts
 Apprentice Wizard
 10/10 Wounds, 4 FP
Sat 10 Jul 2021
at 14:42
Re: The Coach and Horses
As Dietrich speaks with presumed sarcasm about travel through the Empire, Aver has her face pressed up against the window in a rather undignified manner.  "On a beautiful day like today, I couldn't agree more!"  She hadn't managed, even over these few weeks, to quite figure out her companion's sass, likely to his amusement.
Narrator
 GM, 66 posts
Sat 10 Jul 2021
at 19:39
Re: The Coach and Horses
After almost two hours of being late from the original departure time, the coach was finally moving with everyone on board. Whipping the horses to get things underway, the coach began slowly drifting down the path. Gustav is, of course, there to see you off with a wave. Blackie sat starring at you all as you leave, perched on Gustav's shoulder.

The way is quiet, and Lady Isolade is very clearly regretting her decision to allow anyone inside the coach. Huffing and adjusting herself constantly as her smaller companion tries to calm her with various tasks like brushing her hair, and polishing her shoes. He bodyguard does not move much at all, and simply stares upon the other passengers with soft interest and a bored expression.

Meanwhile, those atop the Coach get a rather scenic view of the 'wonderous' woods you've all been trudging through for the past few weeks. The sheer amount of brambles and thistle that grew around here was a painful reminder to be thankful for the coach, rather than an on-foot journey. There were all manner of droll plants growing about the path, and the occasional rustle of birds overhead. Otherwise it's rather peaceful in the fresh air.

It doesn't take long for you all to realize that this 'grand speed' of about two miles per hour wasn't just to clear the coaching inn's walls. Even on the road proper, you weren't gaining any momentum. At this speed the coach’s movement is a slow, gentle rocking that is easy on the coachmen’s aching heads, but it is obvious that the coach will not make it to the next inn before dark!
Mefodiv Orlov
 Human, 19 posts
 Horse Coper
 14/14 Wounds - 2 Fate
Sun 11 Jul 2021
at 02:27
Re: The Coach and Horses
Mefodiv looks at the sun, and scans the treeline anxiously. He jostles one of the driver's shoulders.

"Oi. Pick up pace or let me drive. Not make it anywhere before dark at this rate, and travel by night bad idea."
Narrator
 GM, 67 posts
Sun 11 Jul 2021
at 02:52
Re: The Coach and Horses
Gunnar was already asleep at the reins, but Hultz looks at Mefodiv with weary eyes before pulling the Coach to a stop momentarily.

"Sure. Sure. Here. Just follow the road. Shouldn't be a problem."

Hultz tells Mefodiv, offering him the reins.

OOC If you have the drive skill you can drive the coach quite quickly. If you do not, you have to pass an average(+30) Drive test.
Mefodiv Orlov
 Human, 20 posts
 Horse Coper
 14/14 Wounds - 2 Fate
Sun 11 Jul 2021
at 04:05
Re: The Coach and Horses
"This how you make good time."

Mefodiv hops on down and takes the reigns, speeding up gradually until the carriage looks like it may fall apart, or begins to shake a bit too much, whichever happens first.


OOC i have drive, what horseman wouldn't have it as a skill?
Narrator
 GM, 68 posts
Sun 11 Jul 2021
at 04:20
Re: The Coach and Horses
Mefodiv finds the coach was a breeze to drive. He should get himself one of these someday. After all, how much money could these drunkards be making from sleeping off a hangover right now? Nearly an hour passes peacefully with nothing but the clip-clop of hooves and the sound of a rickety axle to lull the silence.

Suddenly, a loud crack from the sky rings out as the midday sun becomes blackened with clouds. It begins with a trickle, but before you can fish out so much as a second layer, a thick wall of rain descends upon the coach and it's inhabitants. The downpour drenches those that were outside of the coach proper, and even manage to jostle Gunnar and Hultz awake with a low curse and yawn between them.

Inside the cabin, something has changed behind the burly bodyguard's eyes as she stares intently at Aver, looking over her person with interest. She makes no attempts to hide the fact that she was mulling something over.

"Are you hungry, Lady Isolade? It's been some time on the road." Inquires the small woman beside the noble. She has a hopeful look on her face. "No." The lady quickly responds. "Our lesser guests' stench does wonders to curb one's appetite." The maid has a withered, tight-lipped smile forced upon her face as she looks down at her hands and tries to avert her eyes from everyone in the coach. Lady Isolade stares at Dietarch with a repugnant look of distaste on her face, looking away with a scoff should any meet her gaze.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:22, Sun 11 July.

Mefodiv Orlov
 Human, 21 posts
 Horse Coper
 14/14 Wounds - 2 Fate
Sun 11 Jul 2021
at 04:31
Re: The Coach and Horses
Mefodiv swears out loud, driving with one hand for two brief moments as he shakes his arms dry and takes the cookpot out of his backpack to wear as a hat, to keep rain out of his eyes.
Aver Eldebrandt
 Human, 47 posts
 Apprentice Wizard
 10/10 Wounds, 4 FP
Sun 11 Jul 2021
at 07:45
Re: The Coach and Horses
Aver had spent the trip daydreaming, her eyes focused on nothing in particular outside the coach.  The trees creep by at a slow pace until Mefodiv takes the lead, a change that goes unbeknownst to most inside.  She even manages to ignore the snide comments from the noblewoman...  but her bodyguard, that might be a problem.

She crosses her arms in a protective stance, a common position for those with a secret.  A common position for those who had not yet received their magicking license.  She doesn't confront the woman, as that would make this uncomfortable trip even worse.  Instead, she retreats within herself, turning back to the window (while still continuing to glance at the bodyguard).

After some time passes, she begins snacking on the dried rations she had purchased previously.  She offers some to the other women, but in a manner that is obviously obligated rather than out of kindness.
Halvi Junttila
 Human, 16 posts
 Hunter
 10/10 Wounds, 2 FP
Sun 11 Jul 2021
at 15:13
Re: The Coach and Horses
After taking a glance to the road ahead, making sure that she wouldn't get bonked by some low branch, Halvi's drenched head creepily comes into view from one of the sides. "Looks like we are going to make it before the day is spent, turns out drinking yourself into stupor is as bad for coachmen as is for the headsman." She announced with cheerfulness to spare.
Narrator
 GM, 69 posts
Mon 12 Jul 2021
at 02:38
Re: The Coach and Horses
The pair of coachmen don their wide brimmed hats in unison to keep the rain off of themselves. "Good thinking that is." Gunnar comments with interest. "Quick thinking even." Hultz corrects with a chuckle.

"Keep your scraps. I don't wish to experience a commoner's blight from their undercooked 'foods'." Snaps Lady Isolade at Aver's offered meat. The maid quietly declines. The guard also doesn't seem to have any interest in them, but doesn't speak a word.

The ride continues in the rainy  slurry of day for a few hours before it lets up. Those who were outside of the coach were soaked to the bone from the exposed elements. Eventually the coach reaches the junction with the main Middenheim–Altdorf road. A milepost by the roadside claims: ‘Altdorf, 120 miles’. Another coaching inn was here, 'The nail an Hammler'. It seemed to be quite popular, and had it's fair share of hopefuls wishing to hop atop the coach as well.

"Keep going. Bloody hate this place." Gunnar instructs, having no intention of stopping here.

OOC Those who were outside the coach, roll an average(+30) disease check.

Everyone gets +50 Experience for finishing the prologue.
+10 Experience to Dietarch and Aver for successfully Convincing the 'fair' lady Isolade that they should ride inside the coach.
+10 Experience to Mefodiv for successfully driving the coach for the coachmen.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:38, Mon 12 July.

Dietrich Baudelaire
 Human, 21 posts
 Cadet of Aquila Academy
 Wounds: 10/10, FP: 4
Mon 12 Jul 2021
at 13:41
Re: The Coach and Horses
Dietrich felt bad for his companions on the roof of the coach. He really did. It must be awful, just sitting in the rain all day with nothing but your traveling clothes to protect you from the elements. But he felt that sympathy from the warm, dry interior of the coach, and showed no signs of giving up his hard-won seat.

"Oi! Coachman! Why are we not stopping here?!" he called out of the window.
Narrator
 GM, 72 posts
Mon 12 Jul 2021
at 19:45
Re: The Coach and Horses
"S'fulla brigands. Road wardens don't patrol here often, so they flock here to fleece arrivals. Shite tavern, shite people." Gunnar explains with a bellow. "An Hammler is a Taal worshiper, a rube, an don't care about his patrons after they pay 'im for the night." Hultz Holds his head. "No need to shout. We'll be at the next one soon, it isn't that far from the Crone's Perch."

The wagon continues down the trail, into the forest proper and away from the muck of well-traveled roads. A feeling of unease washes over you for just a moment, like the sound of a popping cork just outside of your perception was going off, and the foam within was flowing over you. It quickly fades and you're left wondering what on earth THAT was about? Hopefully it wasn't some kind of lice or flea...

Proceed to Chapter one: The old road...