The Temple in the Swamp.   Posted by The Dungeon Master.Group: 0
The Dungeon Master
 GM, 1 post
Mon 26 Jul 2021
at 10:59
The Temple in the Swamp
Players to post their Charactets actions here. Please use the other thread for rules questions and other mundane stuff, to keep the story thread leaner.
The Dungeon Master
 GM, 11 posts
Sat 31 Jul 2021
at 11:14
The Temple in the Swamp
The double doors open into a courtyard that is 80 feet deep and 90 feet wide. Once well cared for, the ground is now choked with weeds. In the center of the yard sits a large pool. Just beyond the pool is a set of stairs leading to the main doors of the temple itself. In the southern corners of the courtyard are two small octagonal stone buildings, each covered by a delicate-looking dome. The buildings are about 30 feet wide.  Vines and lichen seems to cover much of the area, but you can spot old worn paved slabs below it in places.  The pool is 40 feet long and 30 feet across. Its stone rim rises three feet above the ground.  You see and hear flies, grubs and beetles moving in the rotting vegetation.


The octagonal room on your left (12) is 30 feet in diameter. The floor is dirt; the walls and domed ceiling are made of stone. A 2-foot- high platform covers the far half of the room. A set of stairs leads downward on each side of the platform. In the center of the platform rests a statue of a humanoid sitting with his legs crossed. The statue is 15 feet tall.  This area is free from weeds and insects.  The pool at the statue’s base is filled with clean icy-cold water.

In the stone building to your right (13) is almost identical in structure to the one on the left.  However, here the statue is broken and damaged, it’s surface worn away beyond recognition, but you could presume it once was a sitting humanoid figure.  The ground in front of this statue is covered in a thick dark oily substance extending over much of the south-east area of the courtyard, and over the stone rim into the pool.

Around the crown of the courtyard you can spot some intricate carvings in places.  It is most clear above the clean area, destroyed above the broken statue area, and difficult to see beneath the lichen and weeds that cover the rest of the walls and lip.

You have all entered into the courtyard through the large doors and are in the south of the courtyard (area 2 on the map).
Ferren
 player, 5 posts
Sat 31 Jul 2021
at 21:39
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 2):

First off, let’s make sure we’re alone here. Are there any signs of movement / sounds in the immediate vicinity?

Secondly, can I take a closer look at the area to the south of the courtyard where we entered for any tracks, signs of it being used by any one recently?

If time, I’ll scrub some moss and lichen into my cloak and make myself a little more camouflaged with the terrain, then keep my eyes on the doors at the end of the courtyard…
Ceridwen
 player, 2 posts
Sun 1 Aug 2021
at 10:03
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 2):

Appreciating Ferrin’s protection of the group, Ceridwen moves to look into the pool in the courtyard and will walk around its perimeter. She would like to cast detect magic (ritual), if Ferrin thinks we are secure.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:06, Sun 01 Aug 2021.

Sideways
 player, 2 posts
 Gnome samurai
 Out for adventure
Sun 1 Aug 2021
at 14:38
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 2):

Sideways picks up any old piece of debris he can find and approaches the blacked pool, gently tossing it in from a distance.
The Dungeon Master
 GM, 12 posts
Mon 2 Aug 2021
at 04:55
The Temple in the Swamp
Ferren halts the party for a moment, listening for a moment.  All he notices is the absence of bird song that he might expect.  Behind him the old woman can be her muttering to herself, ‘…they could have been redeemed.  Why did he murder them without thought?  Is he a bad elf, and  ……”

Ferren looks around, and can spot some marks on the ground.  As he kneels to look closer and see if he can work out who passed here, Sideways and Ceridwen pass him by and walk into the temple.  As the witch circles round the pool to the left, the wee gnome picks up a chip of rock and tosses it into the pool.  The silence is broken as the black oil erupts from the ground in three distinct pools…





The Dungeon Master
 GM, 13 posts
Mon 2 Aug 2021
at 05:08
The Temple in the Swamp
ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!

Roll your dice at home and send me your initiative score.  Also post what you are thinking of doing, so the other Players can plan their actions.  As soon as I have the initiatives, I’ll post up the order, then you can post your actual actions.  If anyone is in touch with Nikki, now is the time for her to sign up :-)

A Rough Map (the squares are 10’ x 10’):

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:10, Mon 02 Aug 2021.

Ferren
 player, 6 posts
Mon 2 Aug 2021
at 14:10
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 7):

I’ve got an 11 on initiative(!) and will sling two arrows into the first thing that attacks an ally, tagging it with Hunter’s Mark as a Bonus Action before the first shot looses.

I’ll also head as far as I can (35ft) towards the square with a 12 in it, as long as the western side of the courtyard remains clear.
Ceridwen
 player, 3 posts
Tue 3 Aug 2021
at 06:38
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 7):

Ceridwen rolls a 1. Marvellous.

As the pools of oil erupt, Ceridwen raises her head and ponders whether or not this might be a result of Evard’s black tentacles, or from that fool of a gnome dropping the rock into the well - er, pool. She looks to the door and wonders if Brush is going to stay outside all day; she then realised that everyone else has acted whilst she was lost in thought.

The witch expects to drop a fireball (at level 5, from the staff) on number 2 (20’ radius should catch all 3). She may have to adjust this by the time it gets to her turn!
Sideways
 player, 3 posts
 Gnome samurai
 Out for adventure
Tue 3 Aug 2021
at 10:30
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 7):

19 on initiative. Sideways rushes over to his absent minded companion Ceridwen and stands ready to power attack anything that should get within striking distance of them.
Brush
 player, 1 post
Tue 3 Aug 2021
at 13:14
The Temple in the Swamp
Bush rolls a 14 on initiative.

She'll move into the building and keep away from the oily pool. She'll bonus action ready a magic stone and will consider whether fire is a smart idea or not... Brush will notice the scorch marks from Ceredwyn's fireball and shrug.

Casts 2nd Level Flaming Sphere on the opposite side to where Sideways is attacking the oily thing (Dex saving throw - DC = 18 - 2d6 fire damage on failed save).
The Dungeon Master
 GM, 17 posts
Tue 3 Aug 2021
at 16:58
The Temple in the Swamp
Combat 1 Rd1
INITIATIVE ORDER
     19 Sideways - READIED
14 Brush
11 Ferren
7 Black Pudding 1
4 Black Pudding 2
3 Ceridwen
0(!) Black Pudding 3

Brush is up…

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:18, Wed 04 Aug 2021.

Sideways
 player, 4 posts
 Gnome samurai
 Out for adventure
Wed 4 Aug 2021
at 10:36
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 12):

Sideways steals himself and approaches the second oily uphaul. His little legs do not carry him the full distance and so will prepare himself for when the creature is within striking distance of his blade.
The Dungeon Master
 GM, 18 posts
Fri 6 Aug 2021
at 08:34
The Temple in the Swamp
Combat 1 Rd1
INITIATIVE ORDER
     19 Sideways - READIED
14 Brush. Brush casts Flaming Sphere, which burns the second pool of black ‘stuff’ (SR: Fail, Dmg: 7 Fire).
11 Ferren
7 Black Pudding 1
4 Black Pudding 2
3 Ceridwen
0(!) Black Pudding 3

Ferren is up…, then it will be a couple of puddings …


This message was last edited by the GM at 08:38, Fri 06 Aug 2021.

Sideways
 player, 5 posts
 Gnome samurai
 Out for adventure
Fri 6 Aug 2021
at 11:33
The Temple in the Swamp
In reply to The Dungeon Master (msg # 14):

20 to hit
22 slashing damage