New In Town.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 13 posts
Wed 24 Nov 2021
at 08:24
New In Town
It is the year 317 of the Fourth Age.

Curazar is the western most province of the Kingdom of Tirresam.  With the capital city of Tirresam in the eastern most province, the political, social and economic influences of the kingdom are weakly felt in Curazar.  As such the few settlements there are home to those who wish to have fewer eyes upon them for one reason or another.

To the north lies the vast forest of Enodan, the realm of the first elves.  Since the dawn of the Fourth Age the Enodan elves have kept their lands closed with no explanation.

To the south lies the Tide of Bahatruus, a calm yet treacherous sea filled with jagged crystaline structures just below the surface capable of ripping apart even the most sturdy ship hulls.

The eastern edge of Curazar is distinguished by the Shimmering Peaks, beyond which lies the gently rolling hills of the rest of Tirresam.  Canmont Pass allows safe, easy passage between Curazar and the other provinces.

The Badlands lie to the west.  A dry, rocky, expanse that stretches far beyond where any of the Free Peoples have tread in the past.  A few nomadic tribes of various cultures inhabit the Badlands though few have ever seen one of the nomads and, as a result, this has caused many to believe that the stories of the nomads are just that: stories.

Dornwich is the central town of Curazar and is home to a population of just over 500 people of every manner of ancestry one could imagine.  The town is ruled by Lady Stren but "ruled" is something of an overstatement.  Dornwich, for all intents and purposes, is a free town as the Lady cares little about enforcing royal edicts or even collecting taxes.  Dornwich is the largest settlement in Tirresam within a week's ride.

After a lengthy journey you arrive in Dornwhich at midday on 7 Jhael, a Wenhamday.  No guards on the outskirts of town are present to peace bond your weapons so you walk into town and quickly find yourselves in the square.  The sound of hawkers jabbering on about their goods, buyers chatting, and various animal noises, from sheep bleats, to dog barks, to geese honking surrounds you. Tents and carts stand arranged in a messy circle with goods on display in varying states of tidiness.

You need to find your old friend, Leopold Hellwig.  While Leopold is an eccentric codger he is quite wise.  His counsel is sought by many nobles including the rulers of the Free Peoples so when you received his letter pleading that you meet him in Dornwich as quickly as possible you set out immediately.  Unfortunately, given your travel time and the time it must have taken the letter to reach you it has been nearly a month since he sent the letter.  Dornwich is a small town so it shouldn't take long to locate him, you consider.


OOC:  I'm leaving this a little open ended for you to explore/interact a bit.  Remember, you all know each other already.  How is up to you.  Leopold is someone you all know relatively well.  Why that is is also up to you.  It's after midnight for me so I guess I didn't make "today" after all.  :)

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:50, Wed 24 Nov 2021.

Neah Sendina
 player, 7 posts
 High Elf Wizard 1
 HP 7 | AC 13/16
Wed 24 Nov 2021
at 21:35
New In Town
Neah Sedina twirled in a full circle to take in the town from the vantage point of the town square. She found it quaint and charming and lovely. She noted the traders and the farm animals and all the little houses. Everything was so different from back home, and that was a good thing! Had she wanted more of home, she might as well have stayed there.

"Are you weary, dear friends?" Neah asked her traveling companions. "I was thinking we could seek out en establishment of food and beverages. We can rest our legs, and partake in some nourishment at the same time as we ask about Mr. Hellwig. Surely they will know him and his whereabouts."

Neah twirled again, wondering if any of the buildings she could see was a tavern of sorts. Her wide-eyed looks revealed her youth. She was a youngster of mere ninety-eight.
Lita SunKennel
 player, 8 posts
Wed 24 Nov 2021
at 23:23
New In Town
Lita SunKennel breathes in the air of this new town they arrived on, with new sensations and spices, she wasn't sure about this whole adventuring thing before but it feels pretty good arriving at a destination after an arduous trek. While not really arduous, it certainly was a long one though. She then looked at her elf companion she met a while back,"We're not that tired Neah, but it wouldn't hurt to find clues on where Old Man Leopord went. So yeah, let's head over to the local taverns and have ourselves a drink." she says, remembering the codger well as a known business associate and family friend to the SunKennels.  She then looks back to Neah as she stares bright eyed to look at the building,"Hey, don't start wandering off by yourself, okay. This towns pretty big, so you might get easily lost. If you want, I can hold your hand so you can stick to the group." the little halfling says to the adult sized elf.
Wictor Kairn
 player, 2 posts
Thu 25 Nov 2021
at 05:45
New In Town
Wictor hefted his pack back onto his shoulder after they had stopped to look around the town a little.  Adjusted it against his shield to make sure it wouldn't get caught if he needed it.  Looking over at the young elf and her frolicking circles he just gave a small, hmph, clearing his throat as the halfling mothered her in her reaction.

He stood tall with the practice poised that his upbringing demanded, and gave a simple short sigh as he nodded. "Thees lund does naht fullow the propur form of nobilty downwurds.  I am loathed to suggest that finding the lady would naht push our agenda best.  A tavurn would allow us to at leest find word of our esteemed Herr Hellwig.  And perhaps leurn what schtulks this city and troubles its people."  He said through his accent creeping through his efforts to keep his common understandable to the others.

"Howevur, the miss Sun...Kennel" his focus delayed the name pronunciation to get it close to right, "is right.  Do naht wandur too far.  We know naht how free these people are with liburtays taken on outsidurs."  He warned looking around at the people at the edges of their view.
DM
 GM, 17 posts
Sun 28 Nov 2021
at 08:50
New In Town
On the periphery of the square you spot a crude painting of a foaming tankard and a bed on the sidewall of on oversized two-story tarpaper shack.  You push past a number of people browsing the wares in the market and make your way toward the inn.

Entering the inn, you can see that although there are not the amenities one might find in a city inn, a pointed effort has been made toward the comfort of its guests. Comfortable chairs woven from dried reeds are upholstered with hand-stitched cushions. There is a blazing hearth, which radiates a powerful heat that is held in by walls insulated with thatch and held up by sturdy wattle. A split-log bar, hand planed and polished with animal fat, practically glows from the reflected flame.

The elf innkeeper inclines his head toward you by way of greeting. Like most elves, itís impossible to guess his age, but his face and body are slimmer than normal, seeming almost pinched. It gives him a sour look that makes him seem old and judgmental, even as he smiles and waves a hand to indicate some stools where you can sit.
Neah Sendina
 player, 9 posts
 High Elf Wizard 1
 HP 7 | AC 13/16
Tue 30 Nov 2021
at 22:00
New In Town
Neah Sendina assumed the painting was a sign to signify an establishment of nourishment in human lands. She was happy to see another elf, although he seemed rather sour. Maybe that was typical of elves outside their homeland. Maybe she appeared grumpy too? She hoped not, and put on an extra happy face to be sure.

"Greetings, friend." That line was served in Elvish, but she switched to the common tongue for the benefit of her companions. Sitting down, Neah continued. "We would like some refreshments, and some council if you please. For the former, food and beverages. For the latter, well, we're looking for Leopold Hellwig. Do you know of him?"
Lita SunKennel
 player, 10 posts
Fri 3 Dec 2021
at 08:34
New In Town
Lita snaps her fingers as they approached the innkeeper,"Hiya, innkeep, like my friend here says, though I'm mostly interested in alcoholic beverage right now and we could also use some of the local news along with that Hellwig informay. Like anything of import happening lately." she says as she stands up on the stool to at least be seen at the same height.