Sweet-Smelling Swamp.   Posted by The System Master.Group: 0
The System Master
 GM, 452 posts
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 08:30
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
To be described
Emily Khorashandi
 player, 251 posts
 Genocider
 Songcaster/Huntress
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 10:20
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
In reply to The System Master (msg # 1):

Emily looked around the muddy folds of the expanded swamp and said lightly, "Guys, I think I'm high"

The swamp did not smell nearly as bad as it had been when it was a disc but it still smelled slightly nauseating and was mildly poisonous to boot.  "Jerzy," she said, "You're the botanist, what kind of plants grow on swampy mud and have the power to convert swamps and saltmarshes to dry land?  Any thoughts about where we could get some?"

Slowly she began edging her way to the point where the swamp came nearest to the pink ball.  "I think the swamp is close enough to jump to the pink ball", she said, "but we could go back to the original disc where it's easy to cross to the red ball.  I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to stay here much longer because I'm worried about the long-term effects of being here."
Jerzy Godlewski
 player, 88 posts
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 11:20
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
In reply to Arjun Gandhi (msg # 26):

"It takes a few hours so while you sleep would probably be the least intrusive. It shouldn't disturb your sleep, though might be a bit unssettingly to see me sitting over you."
Jerzy Godlewski
 player, 89 posts
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 11:28
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"Hmm, I'll have to think about that. Mangrove bushes and mollusks would be able to filter the water and clear it up at least. I'll have to take a closer look at the swamp to see if it's transformation introduced them. At which point we could propagate them throughout the swamp."
Otto Bruckner
 player, 242 posts
 Barbarian
 Seeker of First Blood
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 14:13
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Otto seemed none the worse for wear despite their long day and whatever insidious effects the Sweet Smelling Swamp may possess. Their Barbarian looked around, then nodded, and looked to Emily. "Well, let's move on then...like you said, we can save it for last. Where did you want to start? Maybe the water?" he suggested. The thought of contaminating their water supply irked him, but the Quest did seem like it may bring promising benefits to their little world.

Which reminded him. Otto checked his Tasks and Quests while he was thinking about it.
The System Master
 GM, 457 posts
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 14:29
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Ottos tasks and quests are empty at the moment.
Emily Khorashandi
 player, 254 posts
 Genocider
 Songcaster/Huntress
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 15:06
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Emily too checked her tasks and quests before saying to Otto, "I'd like to see whether there's anything left at all of the Vine disc and if so, whether there is enough to save through the naming but before that, I'm aware that the ball disc and the plastic disc have yet to know the touch of human feet."
The System Master
 GM, 458 posts
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 15:37
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Emily has no tasks or quests for now
Jerzy Godlewski
 player, 91 posts
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 17:00
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Jerzy wearily follows suit and checks tasks and quests. His relationship with the god of knowledge has left him..a bit spent.

The memories of research associates on the Baluga and his coworker-with-benefits Kinga still swimming through his mind. He had suppressed them as the shock of the abduction and action and excitement of this world distracted him, but having relived 5 days in seconds breached the mental defenses he had built.
Arjun Gandhi
 player, 441 posts
 Shadow Archer
 Bossy Leader
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 18:34
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"it's only a few feet, and we've got my all terrain travel skill and the rope, if anybody is nervous. Are we ready to move on to the balls?"

After a brief second, he adds, "Oh, and the game penalty of this quest is that the God of Order leaves entirely. Personally, I think it's a solid move to get him invested. Is everybody on the same page?"

Arjun worries that his reaction may be the same thing leaving Emily feeling high.l, given the barbarian was the one not feeling anything. But since the archery has a bit of experience wrangling the inebriated while he himself was 6 sheets to the wind, he felt he was up to the task of getting everybody off the disc. He watches for signs of impairment among the party, and shepherds everyone towards wherever disc Emily wants to check out next.

He measures his steps and tracks distance, expecting the disc to be bigger somehow.
Emily Khorashandi
 player, 255 posts
 Genocider
 Songcaster/Huntress
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 18:37
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Emily moves toward the pink ball while Arjun does his best to play the catherd and get everyone to follow along.  She pauses as everyone gathers at the nearest point and says.  "Are we ready gentlemen?"
Otto Bruckner
 player, 243 posts
 Barbarian
 Seeker of First Blood
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 18:39
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"Ready, let's do it." Otto agreed, ready to continue their exploration.
Jerzy Godlewski
 player, 92 posts
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 19:17
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Jerzy nods.
Arjun Gandhi
 player, 443 posts
 Shadow Archer
 Bossy Leader
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 19:51
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"Want me to go first? Does anybody else have any system-generated skills or abilities that might make this easier?"

He studied the new land formation, suspecting that everyone was overly concerned. Arjun was confident that he could climb around on them easily.
Otto Bruckner
 player, 244 posts
 Barbarian
 Seeker of First Blood
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 19:55
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"I've actually got all-terrain travel." Otto mentioned as he stepped forward, and slowly got into position to lower himself down on the rope.
Emily Khorashandi
 player, 256 posts
 Genocider
 Songcaster/Huntress
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 20:58
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Emily simply waited her turn but she did say, "All terrain travel does sound particularly useful, Otto.  Why don't you go first?"
Arjun Gandhi
 player, 444 posts
 Shadow Archer
 Bossy Leader
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 21:07
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"Huh. I guess we both got it when you helped me rappel off the side of the disc. You've got the big stick, Big Man, you take point and I can....would you rather I follow close, or if I stay in back to help other people in case they slip? Do you want to use the rope?"

Arjun gestures to the 30 feet of rope wrapped around his waist.
Otto Bruckner
 player, 245 posts
 Barbarian
 Seeker of First Blood
Thu 24 Mar 2022
at 21:16
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"Yeah, let's do that. Just in case." He concured, and set his club aside for now so that he could use both hands.
Emily Khorashandi
 player, 258 posts
 Genocider
 Songcaster/Huntress
Fri 25 Mar 2022
at 15:38
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Emily waited patiently to follow Otto once he has landed on the pink ball.
Jerzy Godlewski
 player, 93 posts
Fri 25 Mar 2022
at 16:15
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Jerzy shakes himself our of his reflection of the past (mainly due to the boost to willpower he got after the plum incident) and refocused.

Jerzy prepares to cast a spell on Arjun without his permission but then he remembers Arjun did insist on asking before delivering useful assistance.

Jerzy is not used to colleagues putting up clear boundaries, he is used to them being either out of their element and not even realizing they even need help or extremely competent. With his new powers, Jerzy's ego inflated a bit since he could drastically improve situations at will.

His ego also chaulked up his follies and mistakes to useful experimentation and that the ends will justify the means.

"Hmm...I can strengthen Arjun so he can help lower us down while Otto takes point to secure our landing zone. What do you think?"

Jerzy is ready to cast Enhance animal wherever the group deems is most suitable.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:18, Fri 25 Mar 2022.

Arjun Gandhi
 player, 445 posts
 Shadow Archer
 Bossy Leader
Fri 25 Mar 2022
at 21:20
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
"Uh.... yeah. Yeah, man. I appreciate you asking this time. I don't think it's necessary right now, but that sounds useful and I'd rather get familiar with the process during low stress moments, so might as well try it now."

Arjun clenches most of his body body, preparing to flinch, as Jerry casts the spell.
The System Master
 GM, 460 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 15:11
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
OOC: How are you guys planning on getting to the pink ball?

Ebony Isle to Pink Ball is 3 ft
Swamp to Pink Ball is 30 ft

You have enough rope to cross either way, but you'd need to tie it on the other end, first.

You may even be able to use the Throwing skill to get it over there, but there is a near-zero chance of managing to somehow get it to knot taught around the spot you make it land... well, actually zero since the pink ball is a sphere with no outcroppings (let alone stable ones that can support any of your body weights) that are visible.

Incidentally, 3 ft is also extremely easy to leap over, even just for a standing long jump without any runway. However, that may not apply if the surface you land on is sloped (which a sphere would be at all points) or slippery (which this ball may be, you have not tested)

Another thing to note is that the world record running long jump is just shy of 30 ft... none of you are THAT superhuman yet, though...




Also, Jerzy, if you want to use Enhance Animals on someone please specify what you're trying to do (as vaguely or specifically as you please). The skill needs a directive as part of it's usage, beyond just the intent for it to 'activate'

Jerzy Godlewski
 player, 95 posts
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 15:21
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
OOC: I can clarify the spell once we know what we are doing. I'm in favor of going to ebony first since it seems like a hop rather than something dramatic but I wasn't sure if I was missing something.
Emily Khorashandi
 player, 261 posts
 Genocider
 Songcaster/Huntress
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 17:25
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Emily looks over at the pink ball and said, "Let's find a closer point."  She waited for the others before setting off for the still unnamed ebony disc where the pink ball was a mere three feet away.
Arjun Gandhi
 player, 446 posts
 Shadow Archer
 Bossy Leader
Sun 27 Mar 2022
at 18:31
Sweet-Smelling Swamp
Arjun leads folks to the best point on reedsville in order to get to all of the discs, and for a lark, tries to summon an Earthworm with a dance, figuring that they might be useful.