Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa.   Posted by DM.Group: 0
DM
 GM, 9 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Tue 1 Mar 2022
at 05:00
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
The tall guard laughed at Frack and pointed his sword toward the goblin. "Come now. A paladin of Pholtus? I doubt it."

As he spoke, two more of the guards moved around the other side of the cart, drawing their swords as they did.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:37, Mon 14 Mar.

Eveline Pendergraas
 NPC, 2 posts
 Merchant of Eastbank
Tue 1 Mar 2022
at 05:05
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Seeing things start to escalate, Eveline attempted to calm the situation. Instead, she choked on her words, managing only to sputter out a hasty "Stopt!"

00:02, Today: Eveline Pendergraas rolled 3 using 1d20+2.  Calm down the guards.
00:02, Today: Eveline Pendergraas rolled 50 using 1d100.

Thelonius
 player, 1 post
 Monk 1
 AC: 16 HP: 9/9
Sun 6 Mar 2022
at 06:14
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
It had been a long journey for Thelonious asince his stop in Midwood. Two days had already passed and the traveler was hopeful he would come to Tukoa by sunset. As it dipped toward the horizon behind him, he reached an intersection, and to his surprise, a cart proceeded before him from left to right.

Those who were kind enough to speak to him in Midwood (it wasn't everyone), told him he would come to this intersection after a couple days journey. To the south, it was not far to Tukoa. To the north, it was a good day to Landon's Point, and past that further still to Eastgate. They explain traders from the north brought textiles, spices, and many other things to Tukoa for mud. "What a strange thing to trade for," he wondered to himself. But this was just one of the many unusual things he had learned about these inhabitants. His instructors warned him there would be many such things.

He concluded that the cart was delivering something from the north to the nearby outpost. Trade was not unusual. Sometimes traders came to the monastery where he had lived. In that respect, this cart looked very familiar. To his surprise, however, three armed guards from the direction of the outpost seemed to be hostile toward a very short companion of the trading party. Swords had been drawn, and while Thelonius was not well versed in the local customs, he recognized trouble when he saw it.

He cleared his throat and attempted to extinguish the tension by making his own presence known. "Uh, excuse me, everyone. I am looking for a trader. Are you, by chance, a trader?"


00:40, Today: Thelonius rolled 5 using 1d20-1.  Deception. I don't think this is going to decrease the tension!
00:40, Today: Thelonius rolled 8 using 1d100.

DM
 GM, 10 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Mon 14 Mar 2022
at 03:36
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
The guard twirled toward Thelonius and pointed his sword at the monk. "Stay where you are. We have a situation here and we don't need you bumbling into it." His gaze alternated back and forth between the defiant goblin and the approaching traveler from the west.

The two guards on the opposite side of Frack closed in as the guard continued. "Drop your weapon, goblin. Do it now!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:38, Mon 14 Mar.

Frack the Faithful
 player, 2 posts
 Paladin 1
 AC: 18 HP: 12/12
Fri 18 Mar 2022
at 03:22
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Frack stood his ground as the guards closed in. "Pholtus forgive me."

Hold action. Will attack if attacked.
22:18, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 20 using 1d20+3.  Initiative.

DM
 GM, 11 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Fri 18 Mar 2022
at 03:30
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Unfazed by Frack's threat, the guards drew weapons and charged the goblin.
Their leader, meanwhile, kept his eye on Thelonious.

22:18, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 20 using 1d20+3.  Initiative.
22:17, Today: DM rolled 18 using 1d20+1.  Guard leader initiative.
22:17, Today: DM rolled 7 using 1d20+1.  Other guard initiative.
22:18, Today: Thelonius rolled 5 using 1d20+3.  Initiative.

22:19, Today: DM rolled 19 using 1d100.  Chaos?

Frack the Faithful
 player, 3 posts
 Paladin 1
 AC: 18 HP: 12/12
Sat 19 Mar 2022
at 03:38
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
"So be it!" As the guards raised their swords to attack, Frack beat them to the punch, slicing through the stout leather armor of the first guard.

22:33, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 14 using 1d20+5.  Scimitar vs. guard1.
22:34, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 5 using 1d6+3.  Damage.
23:13, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 92 using 1d100.  Should've been a chaos roll here, too.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:14, Mon 21 Mar.

DM
 GM, 12 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Sat 19 Mar 2022
at 04:06
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
"Ahhhhhh!" The first guard wailed in dismay as Frack's scimitar drew blood. With clenched teeth, he lashed out at the goblin, breaking his own blade against the goblin's shield.

But what little hope Frack felt as the first guard failed against him, it disappeared with the sting of the 2nd guard's scimitar, which bit through armor and straight into the disciple of Pholtus. "Take that you little worm!"

22:54, Today: DM rolled 4 using 1d20+3.  Guard 1 vs. Frack. Fumble! Guard loses weapon.
22:54, Today: DM rolled 19 using 1d20+3.  Guard 2 vs. Frack. 4hp slashing damage.

Eveline Pendergraas
 NPC, 3 posts
 Merchant of Eastbank
Sun 20 Mar 2022
at 06:05
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Eveline gave a concerned look over her shoulder, but the bulk of the cart blocked her view of the melee between her stalwart guard and those of Tukoa.

"Stop it," she pleaded, jumping down from the cart. "Stop this at once!"
DM
 GM, 13 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Sun 20 Mar 2022
at 06:21
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
The leader of the guards pointed his spear at Thelonius. "Stay right there, traveler. Not a move." Still keeping an eye on the monk, he motioned to the two bowmen toward the back of the cart.

The first bowman grabbed Eveline by the arm as she got down from her seat. "Hold, ma'am. There's nothing for you to see back there."

The second bowman proceeded around the cart with weapon pulled. The close proximity of Frack to the other guards, however, prevented him from taking a shot.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:53, Mon 21 Mar.

Thelonius
 player, 2 posts
 Monk 1
 AC: 16 HP: 9/9
Mon 21 Mar 2022
at 03:42
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Thelonius watched the feisty goblin spar with two guards behind the cart. While he considered the guards actions needlessly aggressive, he had a hunch that aiding the goblin would only lead to both of their deaths. Instead, he negotiated as best he could with the man before him.

"I don't understand why you attack the short one," he pondered softly to the leader. "He travels with them as one of their own party. Are you saving the traders from themselves?"

22:41, Today: Thelonius rolled 2 using 1d20-1.  Persuasion.
22:41, Today: Thelonius rolled 82 using 1d100.  Chaos (end of round 1).

Frack the Faithful
 player, 4 posts
 Paladin 1
 AC: 18 HP: 8/12
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 02:42
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Frack winced as the 2nd guard's blade bit through his armor. Seeing the first without a weapon, the Paladin of Pholtus retaliated against his only armed opponent. "For Pholtus!"

21:30, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 13 using 1d20+5.  Scimitar vs. guard 2.
21:31, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 7 using 1d6+3.  Damage.
21:32, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 84 using 1d100.  Chaos.

DM
 GM, 14 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 03:47
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Seeing the second guard backpedal at the hands of the goblin, the guard leader could wait no longer. He turned his back on the monk and charged toward Frack. "Bring that goblin down!" he ordered to the archer even as he clumsily entered the fray with his spear

The guard with bow drawn was hesitant to shoot with his allies in proximity of Frack, but orders were orders. His shot missed the goblin altogether, striking his boss instead. Fortunately for the archer, his arrow was unable to penetrate its unintended target, landing harmlessly its feet.

The first two guards, both wounded and one without a weapon, stayed back from the melee, leaving only frack and the guard leader in combat.


21:52, Today: DM rolled 7 using 1d20+3.  Spear vs. Frack.
22:37, Today: DM rolled 8 using 1d8+1.  Guard 3 arrow at Frack.
22:41, Today: DM rolled 13 using 1d20.  Guard 3 miss vs. guard leader's armor.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:47, Thu 31 Mar.

Thelonius
 player, 3 posts
 Monk 1
 AC: 16 HP: 9/9
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 03:57
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Thelonius recognized an unfair fight when he saw one, and the guards clearly outnumbered the small escort for the trader. He shook his head in disbelief at the foolishness of the situation then cracked the archer sharply across the back with his quarterstaff, knocking the unsuspecting archer to the ground.

22:51, Today: Thelonius rolled 19 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 6,14.  Quarterstaff vs. archer (inspiration).
22:51, Today: Thelonius rolled 7 using 1d8+3.  Damage.
22:52, Today: Thelonius rolled 91 using 1d100.  Chaos.
End of round 2.

Frack the Faithful
 player, 5 posts
 Paladin 1
 AC: 18 HP: 8/12
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 04:10
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
With only the well-armored leader before him, Frack bared his teeth and struck with all his might... He missed.

23:03, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 10 using 2d20+5, dropping the lowest dice only with rolls of 5,5.  Scimitar vs. guard leader (inspiration).
23:06, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 65 using 1d100.  Chaos.

DM
 GM, 15 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 04:13
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
The guard leader, enraged by the fact that his allies had all seemingly departed the battle, struck with greater skill on his second attempt at Frack, this time piercing the goblin in the shoulder. A flash of pain shot through Frack.

23:04, Today: DM rolled 18 using 1d20+3.  Guard leader spear vs. Frack.
One handed attack due to shield. 4 piercing damage to Frack.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:48, Thu 31 Mar.

Thelonius
 player, 4 posts
 Monk 1
 AC: 16 HP: 9/9
Mon 28 Mar 2022
at 04:18
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
With the departure of three of the guards from battle and the fourth still held at bay by Eveline's protests, Thelonius saw the odds evening out. Still, he had chosen his side and for better or worse, he continued with his assistance of the short caravan escort. His aid this time, however, was futile.

23:06, Today: Thelonius rolled 10 using 1d20+5.  Quarterstaff vs. guard leader.
23:07, Today: Thelonius rolled 7 using 1d100.  Chaos.
End of round 3.

Frack the Faithful
 player, 6 posts
 Paladin 1
 AC: 18 HP: 4/12
Thu 31 Mar 2022
at 20:03
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Frack, now hit twice, began to feel light headed. He realized he was fighting for his very life now. But still, his attack was unable to stop the spear-wielding leader of the guards.

14:55, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 11 using 1d20+5.  Scimitar vs. guard leader.
14:55, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 43 using 1d100.  Chaos.

DM
 GM, 16 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Thu 31 Mar 2022
at 20:18
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
With the other guards either disarmed, injured, or indisposed, the guard leader alone circled around Frack, sneering at the goblin and looking for an opening. He finally lunged in with his spear, but the goblin's shield deflected it.

14:59, Today: DM rolled 17 using 1d20+3.  Guard leader spear vs. Frack.

Thelonius
 player, 5 posts
 Monk 1
 AC: 16 HP: 9/9
Thu 31 Mar 2022
at 20:47
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Thelonius had seen enough. Somebody was about to get seriously injured. Even though he had started by assisting the goblin, Thelonius realized now that the safest outcome for the little creature was to lose this battle.

Suspecting the goblin would be about as good at listening to a call for peace as the guard leader had been, the monk instead spun into the melee. This time, however, he directed his quarterstaff against Frack, striking him across the nose and knocking him unconscious.

"There," he concluded to the leader while standing over Frack's prone body. "It is settled."

15:25, Today: Thelonius rolled 25 using 1d20+5.  Quarterstaff vs. Frack. Knock out only.
15:26, Today: Thelonius rolled 15 using 2d6+3.  Damage.
15:26, Today: Thelonius rolled 62 using 1d100.  Chaos.
Frack is knocked out (unconscious and stable - no death saving throws required).
End of round 4. End of combat.

DM
 GM, 17 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Sun 3 Apr 2022
at 20:24
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
The guard looked to the strangely dressed monk, still not certain whether or not to trust him. "I'm glad you finally came to your senses," he finally concluded, pointing to Frack. "There's no place in Tukoa for the likes of that."

He looked over his men, less than impressed by their performance. "Gather your things. Let's see this lady accompanied safely into town."

The other guards picked up their weapons. The first one, who broke his scimitar over Frack's shield, examined the goblin's similar weapon before finally deciding he would rather go unarmed than stoop to using the blade of something as grotesque as a goblin. He spat on the fallen paladin and then walked to the front of the cart.

Eveline, still shaken by the entire encounter, gave Thelonius a knowing stare. "Thank you. Thank you for your help, traveler." The words, she knew, would be construed one way by the guards, but she hoped the monk would decipher her true message, thank you for saving this faithful goblin.

"Come on, ma'am. The sun is setting. Let's be on our way." With little delay, the guards had flanked the cart and were headed up the road, disappearing around a bend in the trail.

Thelonius was left standing in the road, an unconscious goblin at his feet.


15:00, Today: Thelonius rolled 72 using 1d100.  Leader agree to leave (very likely, but -1 CHA for Theo = 75% chance).
15:10, Today: DM rolled 81 using 1d100.  Does guard 1 take Frack's weapon (unlikely = 35%)?

Thelonius
 player, 6 posts
 Monk 1
 AC: 16 HP: 9/9
Mon 4 Apr 2022
at 01:37
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Thelonius watched the cart disappear to the south, then took a knee to examine the damage inflicted on the goblin. He was breathing, but still unconscious. After carrying him off the road for a bit of cover, Thelonius set the goblin down and tended to his wounds. He considered starting a fire, but opted against it, having heard the guard leader complain to the merchant about increased dangers on the road.
Frack the Faithful
 player, 7 posts
 Paladin 1
 AC: 18 HP: 4/12
Mon 4 Apr 2022
at 01:48
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
The sun had dipped below the hills by the time Frack regain consciousness. He had an excruciating headache and his nose throbbed painfully. After regaining his bearings, he sat up and caught sight of a strangely dressed monk. "Who are you?" he asked, squinting through the pain toward the stranger seated nearby.

15:25, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 1 using 1d4.  Hours until recovery.
15:25, Today: Frack the Faithful rolled 23 using 1d100.  Chaos.

DM
 GM, 18 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Mon 4 Apr 2022
at 03:52
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
Thelonius nodded to the goblin and handed him a bit of his trail rations. "My name is Thelonius. And you are?"

"Frack. Frack the Faithful. Paladin of Pholtus, God of Light."

Thelonius nodded slowly. "Frack the Faithful. Paladin of Pholtus." He expected a paladin to be significantly taller, but didn't mention it to Frack. Instead, he changed the subject. "I apologize for confronting you. I feared that the guards may have taken your life."

Frack squinted again. "Taken my life? I had those lousy guards right where I wanted them until-." He squinted again in pain. "Did you say you feared for my life?" The goblin muttered a prayer under his breath, causing his hands to glow brightly. He crossed them over his chest and as he did, the goblin's entire body glowed dimly.

Thelonius watched this with a raised eyebrow. He had observed healers back at the monastery, but none looked like Frack the Faithful. "Where did you learn how to do that?"

"My mentor's name was Rom. Rom the Radiant. Most noble servant of Pholtus. Have you heard of him?" Thelonius shook his head to say he hadn't. "Well that is your loss. Rom was a great man. A noble warrior for Pholtus in his day. And a friend. Taught me everything I know."

"He is no longer alive?"

"No. He died about a week ago. It is a loss for the world." Frack scratched at the ground with a fingernail. "And what about you? You dress funny, even for a human. And you are as bald as a kettle pot."

Thelonius blushed slightly. He had become accustomed to the strange looks he received by the townsfolk of Castlewood and Midwood. To be pointed out as peculiar by a goblin paladin, however, was a greater discomfort. Still, he sensed nothing malicious in Frack's observation. "I come from far away. My Elders have sent me from the Great House in search of something called the Golden Goat. Have you heard of it?"

"Golden goat? Like a real goat? Made out of gold?"

Thelonius shrugged his shoulders. "I do not know. Some say it is an actual animal. Some say a statue or a magical gemstone. Whatever its form, the Elders say it will reveal itself to he who is wise enough to recognize it."

Frack tilted his head. "That's not a lot to go on."

Thelonius nodded. "No. It is not. A man in Castlewood suggested that there is great magic near Tukoa. That is why I have journeyed this way. Perhaps someone there has heard of it."

"Well, there's always a chance, I suppose. Though if there's any golden goats walking around town, I doubt that they'll just let you take it. Still, you've piqued my interest. I'll accompany you there tomorrow."


Thelonius smiled. He was beginning to like this goblin. "Then rest, little one. Tomorrow Tukoa."


Frack performs lay on hands upon himself, restoring 5 hp.

End of scene.

DM
 GM, 20 posts
 Let's give this a try!
Mon 11 Apr 2022
at 02:02
Scene 1: The Road to Tukoa
End of scene 1:

Characters: Add Lex Malcolm, guard leader.
New Threads: None.
New Chaos: Thelonius had to knock out Frack to keep the peace, so 5 + 1 = 6.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:03, Mon 11 Apr.