RolePlay onLine RPoL Logo

, welcome to Midnight in Shackled City

08:59, 17th April 2024 (GMT+0)

Gathering.

Posted by wlake.gmtnFor group 0
wlake.gmtn
GM, 73 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 09:26
  • msg #1

Gathering

Just a recap, the pavilions outside the city have evaporated, elves whose images have been imbued upon your mind now that you're in the city have formed a lasting Rory's Telepathic Bond, you would assume they do rituals with idols. Idols are the primary work of Izrador, often in the form of cross-like objects that clerics use as the emboldened vessels for their god's will. So the demon had invaded from some unknown realm, and you're pretty sure that the elves could have something up their sleeve. Amidst the riot, they seem to be doing nothing of import other than gesticulating madly, presumably either for or against some kind of magic. One assumption is that they had summoned the demon, but you're not sure what to make of them. Rolling something like Diplomacy will let you figure out how they respond to a rag-tag band of adventurers.

Since we're meeting the players to each other, let's assume the rituals are all part of a book, literally, a history of the city. One parable that you read seems to be the convergence point. Amidst scrolls and rolls in the library of the city to the south of the Sea of Pelluria (Caranhal) you were able to make a link between the demonic raid and the book where you convened. So you're in the library fawning over the book together and hoping that everyone is able to describe their place in the city where major things known to the world created an impetus for the formation of your adventuring party.

So if you could describe why you're in the library and which books gave you the magical impetus to note the elves and the priest in the city, please do so. Locations don't always line up spatially with what the maps say, so it's best to trust your instincts.

You think maybe the elves have created a fushigi yugi, a Japanese anime in which the characters have a Pleasantville experience by travelling through media. The book doubles as a wizard's spellbook illuminated by spells in a classic medieval font.

So reasons for being in the library and reasons for transporting yourself to the city.
Lady Maevre
player, 128 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 10:52
  • msg #2

Gathering

Diplomacy 28

Lady Maevre had requested access to the book, not at all sure what she would find. Certainly she was uncomfortable here. The constant mental intrusion was not at all welcome!

"Well here we are" she breathed as she found 'the book'. Carefully she flicked it open to see if there was anything she could make sense of. She'd had the basic training that any Unseelie Fairie Princess had of course: poisons, glamour, magic, dealing with betrayal on a daily basic, but this place was a whole new level of wierd.
Birahu the Black
player, 22 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 12:44
  • msg #3

Gathering

07:42, Today: Birahu the Black rolled 9 using 1d20.  diplomacy.

Birahu was in the library researching spells when he heard of the 'book'. He had to see it. It might bring an epiphany to him so that he would gain direction on what to do. He had no idea what was going on and was confused beyond reason.

When he got to the 'book' there was a beautiful woman perusing it. He got close to try to see, but said nothing, not wanting to disturb her.
This message was last edited by the player at 12:46, Sun 15 Jan 2023.
Lady Maevre
player, 130 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 16:01
  • msg #4

Gathering

"Hmm" Maevre said assessing Birahu "Please don't think me forward. I have travelled quite a distance to get here driven by a dream. And the 'please don't think me forward' bit is that you were in the dream. We were battling a rather unpleasant demon together. Along with some others. A giant of a man wearing a bulls head. A spider. Others that are a little blurry" she tapped the book "I think this is linked to it. Hard to tell. Sometimes the Gods speak in particularly obscure ways" the last said with a slighty not too respectful roll of the eyes

"Do you have a name Wizard? Here I go by the name of Maevre"
Birahu the Black
player, 25 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 16:14
  • msg #5

Gathering

"I am known as Birahu the Black. You were in my dreams as well." he says, warming up to her. "I am but a lowly wizard, here to gain knowledge and insight into what is happening. I see a lot of fire creatures in the pictures, I can't fight them well yet, I'll need time to prepare I think, though we apparently have none."
Aranea
player, 14 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 17:04
  • msg #6

Gathering

Aranea found the elf city her mother told her to seek out. It was odd to find elves working for Izrador. Aranea in human guise was a tall, dark woman with hair that moved in an unfelt breeze. It didn't quite obscure her face but it made it a shade harder to tell what she really looked like, "I am looking for clues to magical items used long ago and lost. I am Aranea." She cast a glance around their section of the library. Her dark gray skin like living  steel.

"I think that book forced a dream on all of us. Though it begs the question of why... I lost my mother too soon and my sisters were scattered by Izrador's lackeys." She finished with a wistful tone.
Garaxus
player, 17 posts
Son of Zeus
Noble Savage
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 17:36
  • msg #7

Gathering

The old man he had help cross a river a few days back told him of this, library and said the next steps in Garaxus's fate would be decided there. He had to carry the old man on his back and swim across the river and as soon as the old man gave his prophecy, he was gone. Garaxus knew not if this was a true clue to his fate or a trick by the gods. Whatever the case he would find out.

Going into the house of books and scrolls, he looked at the front door of the building before entering. Having no use for books himself, he looked around, seeing a beautiful woman with reddish, golden locks of her and an untamed, almost otherworldly look to her. Another woman, still beautiful in an elven way with short black hair and what looked to be a sage stood near by.

A smile pressed his lips and he slowly stepped forward. "I am Garaxus. I was told by prophecy, I would meet the next steps in my trails here. Dreams are of the gods too are they not? Why do you think the fates have bind us together? Are there any clues in the book?"
Birahu the Black
player, 26 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 17:43
  • msg #8

Gathering

"We have been pointed to it, we are yet to peruse it. I am Birahu the Black." He bows his head in greeting to the others. "I believe there are more, shall we wait a few more minutes before we start, or let them catch up at their own speed."
Lady Maevre
player, 131 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 20:15
  • msg #9

Gathering

"Aranea. Garaxus. A pleasure to meet you. Garaxus: you I have heard tales of. That is the Minotaur right?" she indicated with her head the headpiece that Garaxus was wearing

"I am Princess Maevre de Winter. Daughter of Mab. I would warn you that if you accompany me there may be" a pause "awkwardness from divine medling, but I think that most of you are used to that by now. Besides it seems to me that with the awakening of the demon Izrador the Gods are putting their playthings together. We might as well embrace it"

"I think we will be a little while before we begin: for a start we need to read this. It seems to me that this is both a spell book, an information source and a doorway. I don't really have the skills to understand more than the very basics: perhaps you can tell us more Birahu"

Birahu the Black
player, 27 posts
Sun 15 Jan 2023
at 20:30
  • msg #10

Gathering

Birahu comes over and begins reading what he can out loud, if he could read any of it.
Garaxus
player, 18 posts
Son of Zeus
Noble Savage
Mon 16 Jan 2023
at 00:19
  • msg #11

Gathering

Garaxus noted each of his new companions in turn. A full smile crossed his face as Lady Maevre mentioned the minotaur. "The beast did not believe me, when I told him I was the strongest. As to divine meddling...I too have something to warn."

Taking a deep breath, Garaxus noted each in turn. "Birahu, Aranea and Princess Maevre, I am the son of Zeus. Hera, Zeus and other gods would wish great hurt to me. Favor of other gods must be with me, as I would be dead otherwise. I was left to die as a baby, but an old woman named, Constaria saved me and raised me up. She gave me this amulet, and gauntlets and weaved the minotaur's hide into a cloak."

"Know that traveling with me puts you in danger, but if you do, I vow to fight to the gate's of Hades to protect you."   

This message was last edited by the player at 00:19, Mon 16 Jan 2023.
Aranea
player, 15 posts
Mon 16 Jan 2023
at 01:16
  • msg #12

Gathering

Aranea gave a light chuckle, though she didn't want to interrupt Birahu's reading. If he hadn't yet found a place to start she would speak the next aloud, but if he was started she would just think it to herself, 'All of us likely had interference if not trouble from the Gods. Mother's devotion to Athena was returned deeply. I only hope Mother got the other children and gathered them safely.'
wlake.gmtn
GM, 76 posts
Tue 17 Jan 2023
at 05:58
  • msg #13

Gathering

You can feel time dripping like a water clock in the vast expanse of one of the world's largest libraries. You almost think there was a sentry ward that erased the ink, which is sometimes apt to disappear in monographs almost as old as time itself. The rows of material seem to speak to you inside your mind, and there are prophecies amongst them, though they take a bit of time to find. Birahu navigates the contours of the alphabetical shelves, starting with the first word by sections done with dates written. His Spellcraft check allows him to feel the presence of a yellow-tinged piece, which seems to emit a faint hum. Rooting around in the piles of sources, this one, unrolling, you hope is a magical scroll, something to teach you a spell. But it's a treatise on how to collate different kingdoms. You're not sure what the prophecy is, but something about the "Broken Kingdoms" becomes a common goal. So you're all somewhat lofty-minded, thinking that the prophecy in some way pertains to you individually. But with nods and smiles you form a lasting glue that allows your magic to jump ship, almost dancing like fire, into the primary broken kingdom, home to Baden's Bluff. And the illustations of the other kingdoms are not quite as well-constructed, shabby almost. Birahu opens it up as you guys either wander around or peek over his shoulder for a magical thrust in time, something of a location-tied dimension door. It makes you wonder if there might even be some guys outside the library who could follow you, but that's the extent of the magical hunch. You're willing to bet there are multiple magically-imbued scrolls in the library, purple walls adorned with white, and vacant, having no visible staff. But in the writing of the broken kingdoms is mentioned another library in the city of Baden's Bluff that would reverse the magic of the scrolls you find, engorging them with alarm bells but granting huge favors. The nausea you experience from the dimension door takes a couple of minutes, with Lady Maevre even puking since she was able to follow her voice through a couple extra planar waypoints to observe a man on stilts. She was able to talk to him about the library and he offers to meet you in the city, saying that he ran from the riots, shutting himself in with a crossbeam. But he has new metal gizmos to celebrate its end, and wants to know if you want to buy any.
Eleni
player, 6 posts
Tue 17 Jan 2023
at 06:47
  • msg #14

Gathering

Eleni tries to ground herself amidst the changing perspective, and seems almost off-balance due to the nature of the library. She regains herself and attempts to follow the others' lead by approaching the book. "Hello, I am Eleni. I overheard that several of you have drawn some ire of the gods. I am lucky to have avoided the same fate. I try to help maintain the balance that Hades desires. If the gods seek to meddle with your fates, I offer my aid to you."

OOC: 36 Diplomacy.
Sign In