RolePlay onLine RPoL Logo

, welcome to Terrinoth: Darkness Rising

20:40, 12th April 2024 (GMT+0)

IC: Rumors of Darkness.

Posted by GMFor group 0
GM
GM, 12 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2022
at 19:01
  • msg #1

IC: Rumors of Darkness

The Dragon Wars left Terrinoth devastated, a shadow of its former self, a desolate wasteland. In the aftermath, its people were so drained of vigor, of life, of hope, that they feared Terrinoth could not withstand another Age of Darkness. The strength of the ancient heroes was gone, and the dragons had shattered the old royal lines, plunged fortresses into ruin, and stolen countless Stars of Timmorran.

For all the tragedy of the last centuries, however, the last several generations of Terrinoth had known relative peace. Many of the ancient cities had been rebuilt, by manpower this time, rather than by magic. With the approach of Midsummer, many experienced a joy that they had only know in childhood. Things were going well and they did not notice the lengthening shadows or strange characters moving about that foretold that something was coming. Rather, men in taverns and women going about their washing had begun to speak of a new springtime, that the darknesses of the past were finally behind them.
GM
GM, 13 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Sat 12 Nov 2022
at 19:06
  • msg #2

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai Ibn-Moumoud awoke aboard the Sealark for what would be the last day of the journey. The crew was eager to arrive at Jendra's Harbor and celebrate Midsummer "properly", as they had not been able to party on Midsummer's Eve due to orders from the captain.

Captain Tessa Talan had only recently been given command of a ship and was keen on asserting her authority. The men may have grumbled, but Abadai had gathered that they ultimately respected the young woman.  She was tough and many of the men had previously seen her courage in action as the young lieutenant stared down Isheim pirates, after these later had boarded the ship and killed the previous captain.

As the Sealark moved south along the Kingless Coast, Abadai could see the ruins of many small fishing villages.  Some appeared to be coming back to life, while nature seemed to be in the process of reclaiming the rest.

Jendra's Harbor, when it finally came into view, was a sight to behold.  Dozens of ships of all different designs bearing an assortment of flags and markings were anchored in the port.  Even with the special holiday there was still plenty of activity to see in the harbor. The activity seemed to be all incoming and unloading of ships, however, and no one seemed to be preparing to leave today.

The crew quickly secured the ship to one of the last docks in the harbor and extend a gangway down. The other passengers bid farewell and moved off into the city.

OOC: Feel free to do whatever you want on the ship or in the harbor.  The harbor is busy and the main dock office is open, but most of the shops in town are closed, except for a few inns and bars which are overcrowded with sailors from the various ships.

Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 4 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2022
at 23:02
  • msg #3

IC: Rumors of Darkness

As the Sealark pulled up to her slip, Abadai sighed heavily. It had been a longer trip than he had expected and much further from home than he had ever been. He smiled as he bid farewell to his fellow passengers, even though he hadn't had much interaction with them directly. They had dined together on occasion, sang and danced some, but in the end he hadn't met anyone he would truly trust or feel friendly with.

One of the last things that crossed his mind as he stepped off the ship was the lightness of his money pouch. He had passed the time reading what material he could get ahold of onboard, but he had neglected to make plans as to how he was going to earn more funds to allow his deeper research into runic magic.

"Abadai, you are a true Ettin's hindquarters for not working this out ahead of time." He spoke out loud to himself, hefted his small bag over his shoulder, took his staff in hand and began his journey off into the town. As he walked, he kept looking right and left, taking in his surroundings. He may be new to long journeys, but he knew enough that danger could lurk around every corner, and especially when you least expected it. He knew one of the things he needed was a place to stay, so his gaze was especially out for a tavern or inn.
GM
GM, 14 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Sun 13 Nov 2022
at 23:49
  • msg #4

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Several taverns and inns could be found near the port and all showed signs of activity. Choosing one at random, The Mixed Loaf, Abadai went inside.  The common area was similar to those found throughout Mennara.  Tables were scattered around the middle of the room, a haze of pipe smoke floated just overhead, even though the windows let in a fair amount of light during the day, there were still booths on the walls and in the corners that seemed shrouded by shadows.

Abadai had been able to eat before leaving the ship, but many of the customers - humans mostly, but there were one or two elves, and a very loud dwarf - were huddled in groups around the various tables eating and drinking. The Dwarf was sitting in one of the booths along the wall with a large iron bound book in front of him on the table and was gesturing and engaged loudly with a human in some kind of debate.

The proprietor was a friendly looking middle aged human man who had not yet acquired the girth commonly found with members of his profession. He had a pair of spectacles perched on his nose and was cleaning glasses behind the bar.  Using the hand occupied with a towel, he waved Abadai over to the counter.

"THAT'S THE PRICE AND NOT A SILVER LESS" the dwarf roared above the general din.  The proprietor shook his head and sighed. Glancing over in the direction of the dwarf "That fellow arrived yesterday and seems keen on selling that book, can't say what all the fuss is though."

He shook his head and turned his attention back to Abadai. "Welcome to the Mixed Loaf," he said, "by the look of ya, you're just off boat. I don't know what business you have here in Telor, but most are closed for the holiday. We have room here if you are in need, and I can help point you in the direction of anything else you might be needing."
This message was last edited by the GM at 19:01, Mon 21 Nov 2022.
Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 5 posts
Mon 14 Nov 2022
at 15:20
  • msg #5

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai leaned his staff against the bar as he listened to the dwarf shot about the price of his book. *might be worth investigating. if nothing else, may be a way to get some funds selling it back to another individual....*

He turned to the bartender and tried to seem in a joyful mood. "Indeed I am, and a long journey it has been. I actually intend on just passing through as I have business to attend to with a merchant in Archaut. However, I could use a rest and a meal without the room rocking side to side and food trying to slide off the table." He bowed slightly with a gesture of his hand and a smile. "Abadai ibn-Moumoud at your service. And I would indeed be in need of one of your rooms, a meal and perhaps any way you know of to replenish my coinage."
GM
GM, 15 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Mon 14 Nov 2022
at 23:16
  • msg #6

IC: Rumors of Darkness

"Benjamin Schmid," the man offered with a nod, "pleased to make you acquaintance. I can offer you a room and hot meal for two silver." Benjamin leaned down to replace the glasses he had been cleaning under the bar, bringing his head closer to the counter and Abadai. "I'll comp both if you can find out a little about those two," he said, indicating the direction of the dwarf with his eyes. "and what the dwarf is up to."
Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 6 posts
Tue 15 Nov 2022
at 02:01
  • msg #7

IC: Rumors of Darkness

“Abadai smiled, reached into his pouch and placed three silver on the counter in front of Mr. Schmidt. Just in case they are all immune to my charm and persuasion.” He smiled and reached into his bag, withdrawing a fine bottle of wine from home.

“And in case words fail me perhaps a glass or two of Al-Kalim wine bottled under a rare blood moon would help. Would you care to join me? In the spirit of new acquaintances.”

OOC: Normal bottle of wine goes for 2 Silver, I paid 10. :) Figured it would be a good door-opener if nothing else. Hmmmmm… maybe that too is a reason I’m looking for the merchant? It’s a wine bottled by the temple for bringing in funds and a reason to spread the faith? :)
GM
GM, 16 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Tue 15 Nov 2022
at 03:29
  • msg #8

IC: Rumors of Darkness

"Hmm...Al-Kalim wine, perhaps this evening, but keep it for yourself now," Benjamin says.  He glances over in the direction of the dwarf and then moves on behind the counter to deal with other chores.

It seems that the human and dwarf could not come to any agreement.  The human has taken a seat in another booth behind the dwarf and has produced a pipe which he is beginning to light.  The dwarf is scowling at no one in particular.

OOC: Would seeing the merchant be an errand on behalf of the temple? Or is that just another connection to him?

If you want to go and look at the book, which the dwarf is willing to show you only parts of, since he's trying to sell it, you can roll a Hard (3 difficulty dice) Knowledge (Forbidden) check.  You can also roll a Vigilance check with one Challenge dice and one Difficulty dice.

Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 7 posts
Fri 18 Nov 2022
at 16:01
  • msg #9

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai nodded with his smile widening. "Keeping it to myself only leads to silence and the passage of time without knowledge. I prefer celebration and gaining knowledge." Carrying the bottle in one hand, and his staff in the other he stepped away and approached the dwarf.

"It seems to be a difficult day for you my friend. I find that when difficulties arise, it always helps to step back and relax with a fine drink. Join me?" He gestured with the bottle before leaning his staff against the table and sitting. "I am Abadai. and you would be?"

OOC: Sorry, thought I had already replied.
and the roller is being a pain... lol

09:35, Today: Abadai Ibn-Moumoud rolled 3 failures, 1 advantage using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1P 2A 3D.  Knowledge - Forbidden.
09:41, Today: Abadai Ibn-Moumoud rolled 1 failure using the Star Wars Edge of the Empire with a dice pool of 1P 1A 1D 1C.  Vigilance.

GM
GM, 17 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Sat 19 Nov 2022
at 21:28
  • msg #10

IC: Rumors of Darkness

As Abadai approached, the dwarf was scowling and brooding. "Oskithy," the dwarf replied curtly, presumably giving his name.

"See here friend," he said, his mood seeming to change on the spot before even seeing the wine being offered, "you seem like a good fellow. I'm trying to get passage out of town, but I need coin. I'm willing to sell this book," he said, indicating the large book with iron cover in front of him, "Any scholar would pay a fortune to get his hands on it." And lowering his voice, "knowledge of the dragons and their runes."

He opened the cover for Abadai to see. There were runes for sure, but the language was not one Abadai had seen before. "Do you know any of the runes?" he asked.


OOC: yeah, those weren't kind. The Advantage let's you notice that the script in the book is rather poorly done. Like copied by someone who doesn't know how to write well.
Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 8 posts
Sat 19 Nov 2022
at 22:32
  • msg #11

IC: Rumors of Darkness

"Well met sir Oskithy" Abadai gestured to Benjamin for a pair of glasses as he sat the bottle between he and the dwarf.

"I am afraid I am in a similar situation of needing coinage myself. I also am afraid I don't know the language, but then I have not had much opportunity to study any of the runic sources for any length of time. I do know though, and this is in my own scholarly opinion, that the script is poorly done, like someone was in a hurry when they were writing it. As such, I'm thinking that you may be actually trying to sell some kind of a forgery, or at the very least a third or fourth-hand copy of the original." He thought a moment. "I could spare 3 silver for it though. Even a bad copy may still hold knowledge worth it. And, I'd have to have it translated too, so that's more expense on my part..."
GM
GM, 18 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Mon 21 Nov 2022
at 19:14
  • msg #12

IC: Rumors of Darkness

The dwarf's listened carefully as Abadai explained his limited knowledge of any runic sources.  When Abadai made his offer the dwarf looked offeneded.  "Hrump," he grunted, "'poorly done'," he repeated, closing the book and sliding out of the booth, "At least you didn't call it a book of grudges like the last human."  With that he tucked the volume under his arm and made for the exit.

Benjamin Schmid, carrying the two wine glasses Abadai had signaled for, gave the dwarf a sideways glance as the two passed each other.  He raised his eyebrows questioning as he looked back at Abadai.  He made it to the booth about the same time the dwarf had pushed the door open and left the building grumbling under his breath.

Benjamin placed both glasses down on the table. "That is not what I expected," he remarked, "learn anything useful?"
Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 9 posts
Tue 22 Nov 2022
at 22:41
  • msg #13

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai shook his head. as he poured a glass for himself and Benhamin "Seems that he thinks humans are unable to discern quality merchandise. I do wish I could have talked him into selling it. Even a badly written book about dragons and runes may have pieces of the truth in it that I could have gleaned a bit from. You wouldn't know of anyplace an adventuring scholar might earn a bit of coinage? " He lifted his glass in salute before sipping down nearly half of it.
GM
GM, 19 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Fri 25 Nov 2022
at 22:23
  • msg #14

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Benjamin took the other glass with a nod and a salute, forgetting what he had said a few minutes before. He looks pensive for a few moments, lost in thought.

"An adventuring scholar," he says with a frown, "but you've just arrived, so you aren't connected with the University in Greyhaven surely. Word reached here recently that they have suspended a large number of classes this coming fall, but no word as to why. There is sure to be a baron or noble or two looking for knowledgeable folk in the wake of that news."

Benjamin looks thoughtful again and absentmindedly finishes the glass of wine.  Coming back to Abadai he nods in gratitude, "room and board are complementary tonight, my friend," he says before getting up and returning to the counter.

OOC: I'll post again if Abadai doesn't have any other plans/intentions.
Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 10 posts
Mon 28 Nov 2022
at 15:28
  • msg #15

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai smiled. "I thank you kind sir for your hospitality. I shall see you after I have had some time to rest and recover my legs after that sea voyage. I am not as unaffected by that as I had hoped."

He bowed as he rose. "If you would direct me to my room I would be most appreciative."

OOC: My apologies, it seems that the notice for a new message got lost over the holidays. :( Abadai will just adjourn to his room to rest, read and recover from his sea voyage. )
GM
GM, 20 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Mon 28 Nov 2022
at 19:11
  • msg #16

IC: Rumors of Darkness

"Of course," Benjamin says as he leads Abadai to his room on the second floor.  The night is uneventful aside from some off-key singing that makes it was up to Abadai's room.  In the morning there is a scrap of paper Abadai notices which has been slipped under the door.

Please come to breakfast, there is a matter I would like to discuss. I will be in the corner booth. A.


OOC: Assuming you go down to breakfast, Abadai recognizes the man who had been arguing with the dwarf sitting alone in the corner booth.  He was a human male with mid-length brown hair. His wore a long coat for traveling.

No worries.

Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 11 posts
Mon 28 Nov 2022
at 19:27
  • msg #17

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai awoke earlier than he had wanted to. It turned out that after he had been sleeping in a hammock on board a ship for so long, a true bed was a bit uncomfortable for a while. He got up, spent an hour meditating and going through his other morning rituals before heading down for what smelled like it was going to be a good breakfast.

As he got ready to leave the room, he bent down, picked up and read the note that had been slipped under his door. "Well, it looks to not be a dull morning after all..." He said to no one in particular. Leaving his room and heading down to the common area, he looked around as he entered and in the corner booth spotted the man he had seen the night before looking like he was planning to travel.

He approached the man, bowing slightly as he arrived by the table. "Greetings. Abadai ibn-Moumoud at your service. May I sit?"

OOC: assuming he agrees, Abadai will sit and offer to buy breakfast.
GM
GM, 21 posts
Midsummer, 1847
1 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Tue 29 Nov 2022
at 19:08
  • msg #18

IC: Rumors of Darkness

The man nodded and motioned with his hand that Abadai was welcome to sit.  "I trust you slept well," the man said, "My name is Alastair. I would like to know your impressions of the dwarf from last night. What did you say to cause him to leave?"

"You may be wondering why I am asking...I have seen that book before, or another just like it.  A man in Nerekhall had one just like it that he was showing to people and was looking for anyone with knowledge of what it might contain. He claimed to have found it in some ruins nearby, but why he didn't go to the Academy there is a mystery to me. No one in the tavern knew anything and I was suspicious and didn't speak up."

"When the dwarf here had the same thing and was trying to sell it, I offered to purchase it, but when we began negotiating he became belligerent. I do not think he actually intended to sell it. I think it was bait,"
he said.
Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 12 posts
Tue 6 Dec 2022
at 17:20
  • msg #19

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai thought for a moment and then nodded. "As you mention it, I can see perhaps you are right. From what I could tell, and I couldn't make much out about it, it looked like a bad copy of a a tome regarding dragons and their rune magic. I have to say, that much peaked my interest, but I too could not come to an agreement about purchasing the tome. Even with it seeming a poorly written as it was." He leaned forward, his interest peaked.

"You say there was a gentleman with a book like it who found it in ruins near Nerekhall? What kind of ruins? and what would you know of them? It seems to me that it may be worth investigating them in any case. At least perhaps finding some trinkets or such to earn a few coins."
GM
GM, 22 posts
3 Story Pt / 1 GM Point
Sun 11 Dec 2022
at 18:16
  • msg #20

IC: Rumors of Darkness

"Whether the man was truthful about the location of the book's origin or not, I do not know. But there are old sites of ruins near to Nerekhall and in the forests nearby. Nerekhall is an ancient city with a dark past. Although they act as of that were not true, the guard they keep tells otherwise."

Alastair thought for a few moments. "What brings you here to Terrinoth, if might ask?"
Abadai Ibn-Moumoud
player, 13 posts
Sun 11 Dec 2022
at 18:38
  • msg #21

IC: Rumors of Darkness

Abadai thought for a moment before replying. There was no secrets involved, and this man seemed to have a bit of knowledge that may be helpful. "A couple of reasons. The main reason is to speak to a merchant by the name of Magnus Holt in the capital. He has done some business with one of the temples in my homeland and I need to get in touch about that. Otherwise, I'm a scholar in search of knowledge. I'm familiar with some Arcane theroy and practices, but I've recently learned a bit about Runes and their power. I'd loke to find out more, and I thought perhaps a library or school in the capital might be of use for that..."
Sign In