RolePlay onLine RPoL Logo

, welcome to (WWN) Ourea | Heroes of the Guild

19:31, 21st May 2024 (GMT+0)

IC: We Are Hirelings.

Posted by Dungeon MasterFor group 0
Dungeon Master
GM, 140 posts
Time zone: EST
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 14:56
  • msg #286

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Even before Leyna, Ralden, and Garret break off the group notices several locations that would work ideally as campsites for the evening. Picking one, Alonder and the others begin setting up while the other three scout around. Fuel for the fire is plentiful and easy to gather. The scouting group is out of sight for a short while before you notice a few things..]
Alonder Gimbel
player, 86 posts
AC: 13, HP: 4/5
Paralyzed
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 15:23
  • msg #287

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

PM
Dungeon Master
GM, 141 posts
Time zone: EST
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 16:00
  • msg #288

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

PM
This message was last edited by the GM at 16:00, Thu 29 June 2023.
Caldus
player, 1 post
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 16:24
  • msg #289

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

"Ah, thought I heard company."

From behind one of the wooden walls, a figure emerges. A man, about average height, wearing pieced armor and a sword at his hip. Although a little dishevelled, he looks like someone who would be competent in battle.

He finishes eating some ration, then continues. "Name's Caldus. Who might you all be?"
Leyna Noc
player, 123 posts
AC: 19, HP 3/3
No conditions
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 18:28
  • msg #290

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Leyna notices human-sized tracks in the soft ground around a ruined building close to the center of what would be the village.

"Footprints," she points out in case the others missed them.

"Aha! Feet!" she declares triumphantly when Caldus emerges.

Leyna is a civilized elf who looks like she's from the city, not the countryside. Her accent is polished and speaks to a certain degree of education. She has platinum hair that is long, sleek, and is currently pulled back in a messy ponytail. Her clothes are dark and those of a traveler, including a black hooded cape cloak. She appears to be a young adult (although it can often be hard to tell with elves) perhaps in her mid 20s. She carries a small metal shield in her left hand and a wooden staff in her right hand that looks like it's functioning as a walking stick.

"I'm Leyna," she says in response to Caldus' question. "We're... adventurers? Explorers, perhaps. Or investigators. We're looking into the increased intensity of storms in the region.

"Speaking of which, we're looking for some shelter. Looks like you are too."

Caldus
player, 2 posts
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 21:13
  • msg #291

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Caldus looks to be a human male in his twenties. He's about average height and weight and in good physical condition. By the dust on his boots and armor, he looks like he's been travelling for some time but he doesn't carry much in the way of camping gear showing he isn't one for living outdoors. His brown hair looks like it has been growing out for some time. Bristles line his cheeks and jaw, again not seeing much in maintenance. He carries a bulging backpack and has a short sword in a scabbard. Under his cloak is a suit of pieced armor that looks like it has seen some combat. By his posture and the way he moves, you get the impression he's had at least some exposure to the military life.

"Nice to meet you, Leyna. Storms? Don't know much except to keep out of 'em. I've been stuck in one for the last few days. Found a cellar just over... there. He points a short distance away. "Some place to lay low until it blew over. Good to finally get out of there."

After a pause.

"So... are you folk working for anyone?"
Iceman
NPC, 18 posts
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 22:03
  • msg #292

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Those that have traveled with Iceman recently sense annoyance in addition to his customary gruffness when he answers, "We're with The Heroes Guild. What are you even doing in these parts if you don't even know about the storms? And do you know anything of Saltbridge?"
This message was last edited by the player at 22:04, Thu 29 June 2023.
Caldus
player, 3 posts
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 22:26
  • msg #293

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Cauldus ignores the man's irritation, his eyes lighting up at the mention of the Heroes's Guild.

"The Guild, is it? I've been more than meaning to join but the membership fees seem a bit steep. I was heading to Saltbridge on some personal business which also brought me this way.

What's the interest in storms? Doesn't sound very lucrative."

Iceman
NPC, 19 posts
Thu 29 Jun 2023
at 23:46
  • msg #294

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but the veteran warrior clearly doesn't seem to be in any mood for this Caldus individual's chipper nature. "The storms are Guild business and if you have no information for us, then I advise you to keep moving. We've had a hellish day and I'm in no mood for your face right now."
Leyna Noc
player, 127 posts
AC: 19, HP 3/3
No conditions
Fri 30 Jun 2023
at 01:14
  • msg #295

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Leyna Noc bows her head a bit at Iceman's brusqueness. Now she is fully capable of being just as awful, and is probably rude more than her fair share, but that doesn't mean that she thinks that Iceman is being helpful right now.

"We lost a couple of our fellows last night," she says to Caldus, lowering her voice so as to not further irritate Iceman. "Then had a rough night with the storm, followed by a long day on the trail. We're all tired." She hopes this helps serve as a (partial) explanation for how they are acting.

"There is safety in numbers. If you can stand the snoring, we can divide up the watch tonight. We're all paranoid about venomous little jellies that look like a puddle come to life. That's what got us last night."
Caldus
player, 5 posts
Fri 30 Jun 2023
at 03:27
  • msg #296

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Caldus nods to Leyna.

"Much obliged, and sorry for your losses. I'm happy to take a shift at watch tonight."

Then he looks to Iceman.

"And I don't take lightly the seriousness of your investigation. As I said, I have one of my own. I've heard reports of bandits in these parts. Have you seen or heard anything?"
Alonder Gimbel
player, 89 posts
AC: 13, HP: 4/5
Paralyzed
Fri 30 Jun 2023
at 10:56
  • msg #297

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Alonder takes the oportunity to chime in, now more relaxed since Caldus decided to step out into the light rather than watch from the shadows.

"We haven't seen anyone alive, other than a couple of giants. Can't say I've noticed any signs of bandits either. I'm Alonder, by the way, nice to meet you."
Leyna Noc
player, 128 posts
AC: 19, HP 3/3
No conditions
Fri 30 Jun 2023
at 17:51
  • msg #298

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Leyna goes back to a stone wall where Ralden had pointed out a phrase scratched onto the stone.

"There's some writing on the wall here that says 'from the mouth of spring'," she says to the others, unsure of how many can read Lekesiz Common.

She examines the inscription to see if the scratches are more recent, or weathered by time. She also looks around to see if she can find any more words scratched nearby. She also looks to see if this looks like graffiti, or deliberate art, or a desperate message.

"Spring, the season?" she wonders out loud. "Or a spring, like a source of water?"

She looks to Caldus. "Have you explored the area at all? Does any of that mean anything to you?"
Dungeon Master
GM, 144 posts
Time zone: EST
Fri 30 Jun 2023
at 18:49
  • msg #299

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

The scratches are likely many years old, but not ancient. The words are deliberate and mostly level to ground about 5 feet high, suggesting that it was not hastily done. The wall it is inscribed into is otherwise blank.

None have noticed any other similar markings, but of course nobody has thoroughly searched every wall of every building in the ruins. If folks wanted to spend some time doing so, it could be possible. The sun has set now and light is scarce currently, though the campfire is comforting.
This message was last edited by the GM at 18:51, Fri 30 June 2023.
Caldus
player, 6 posts
Fri 30 Jun 2023
at 20:03
  • msg #300

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Caldus nods in greeting to Alonder:"Well met."

To Leyna:
"No. I just arrived when the storm began. The only exploring I managed was in a mouldy cellar. Maybe we can check the other walls for more inscriptions in the morning. Since I was cooped up for awhile, I'm good to take first watch."
Ralden
player, 54 posts
AC: 18, HP: 7/7
No conditions
Fri 30 Jun 2023
at 21:06
  • msg #301

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Ralden nodded his head in greeting when Caldus introduced himself. "Good to see another person out here. Like the others mentioned the only ones we've seen are the some giants, the doctor and yourself," the warden nodded his head towards Garret. The remark about bandits caused him to frown. "Just what the area needed, bandits. Because storms and oozes weren't enough." A deserted town unfortunately sounded like the perfect place for bandits to hide in.

He squinted as he looked over the inscription Leyna had discussed. "I was wondering what that was about. Is that the common written language here? It could just be all that remains of a shop sign." Without more context there was little else he could think to add.

As the others mentioned watch a yawn forced it's way from the warden's mouth. "I can take a later shift but I'm in desperate need of good sleep. The more eyes the better."
Leyna Noc
player, 129 posts
AC: 19, HP 3/3
No conditions
Sun 2 Jul 2023
at 16:58
  • msg #302

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Leyna tries to get things organized.

"Caldus, if you could take first watch then that would be great.

"Garret, how are you feeling? If you could take second watch that would be a big help. And, while we're here, do you want to look over Alonder and see if you have any suggestions about how to speed his recovery?

"Valgard third, myself fourth, Ralden fifth. Maybe Alonder sixth if he's recovered enough. Two hours each?"


Her eyes dart warily to Iceman. He's capable of taking a shift but she doesn't want to incur his wrath by asking him.

"Caldus, we were attacked last night by an ooze or a jelly of some sort. It looked like a puddle had come to life. Touching it will paralyze you" - she nods to Alonder - "so that it can suck your blood. It will look like a puddle that has come to life. If you see one, raise the alarm and skewer it.

"I have a deceased one here,"
she says, tapping a cooking pot that has a lid tied down. "We lost two of our own to it. Here, take a look so you know what we're dealing with. Garret, did you want to examine it and see if you could learn anything?"

Leyna unties the string that is binding the lid to the pot. She lifts the lid gingerly with the tip of a dagger, just in case whatever's inside has come back to life. Presuming it is still deceased, she'll show it to Caldus and Garret.

"We can scour the village for more clues in the morning. But, right now, fatigued as we are, we should rest."
Caldus
player, 7 posts
Sun 2 Jul 2023
at 21:05
  • msg #303

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Caldus approaches Leyna and grimaces as he glances into the pot.
"I'll be sure to keep an eye out. Any telltale sings that one is approachimg?"
Leyna Noc
player, 131 posts
AC: 19, HP 3/3
No conditions
Sun 2 Jul 2023
at 23:14
  • msg #304

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

"Like I said, it looked like a moving puddle. If you feel like you see movement out of the corner of your eye, go investigate it. It may seem silly, but stab any puddles. Watch out though! They can jump! Keep your guard up.

"That's the bad news. The good news is that it's not raining so it won't be as concealed on dry ground. We were staying the night in a leaky inn and it was able to blend in with all the drips coming through the roof. What a disaster that was."

Alonder Gimbel
player, 90 posts
AC: 13, HP: 4/5
Paralyzed
Mon 3 Jul 2023
at 00:18
  • msg #305

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Alonder nods as Leyna runs down the suggested watch schedule.

"I'm fine taking sixth watch. Even if I'm not totally recovered, I should be able to wake everyone up if we get visitors."
Dungeon Master
GM, 146 posts
Time zone: EST
Mon 3 Jul 2023
at 21:03
  • msg #306

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

OOC: Looks like the watch schedule is set.

If anyone has any specific plans for additional things they's like to do during their watch, they can post here publicly or privately. I'll make some rolls and see what's happening and I'll have a post that moves things along in the not too distant future.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:03, Mon 03 July 2023.
Caldus
player, 8 posts
Mon 3 Jul 2023
at 22:08
  • msg #307

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Caldus takes first watch, strolling around the perimeter of the camp. Watching and listening intently.
Iceman
NPC, 20 posts
Mon 3 Jul 2023
at 22:21
  • msg #308

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Iceman says nothing of his plan, but when everyone else settles in for sleep he forces himself to remain awake. At first, he pretends to go down, but he keeps his eyes open and his pretending to snore isn't convincing at all.

Caldus notices at some point that Iceman isn't sleeping. "I don't trust you," he states to the newcomer bluntly. "You may have the others fooled easily, but it will take more than a brief conversation to set me at ease. You keep your watch, and I'll keep an eye on you."

Otherwise nothing of note occurs during the first watch. No signs of puddles or any other disturbances. The night is more windy than was the day but thankfully it is also still dry.
Leyna Noc
player, 132 posts
AC: 19, HP 3/3
No conditions
Mon 3 Jul 2023
at 23:59
  • msg #309

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

Leyna's primary goal is rest.

She will show the ooze to Garret to see if he understands anything about it that she doesn't.

In the morning, when she's better rested, she'll look for more inscriptions around the village.
Caldus
player, 9 posts
Tue 4 Jul 2023
at 02:31
  • msg #310

Re: IC: We Are Hirelings

In reply to Iceman (msg # 308):

Caldus shrugs at Iceman's concerns."I doubt there's anything I could say that would change your mind so I'll let my actions do the speaking."

He gives the man a nod and continues his patrol until it's Garrett's turn.
Sign In